RIP Michele Scarponi

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2017 in Pro race
Killed training after the Tour of the Alps.

Just so awful.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Truly awful news.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Sickening news :(
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Terrible. He’d just been named Astana leader for the Giro too. Astana is having a rough year, though this is obviously incomparable to bad racing results.

Supposedly hit by a truck, a vehicle that accounts for more than its fair share of cyclist kills.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Really sad news
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Crazy. Puts everything into perspective.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    That's awful, what a shock after just watching him race. RIP.
  • aberdeenal
    aberdeenal Posts: 200
    :-(
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I feel a bit sick.

That is dreadful.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,568
    Jesus christ.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    That's awful :(
  • Wife and two kids. What a terrible shame.
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Terrible news :(
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Sad.

Always enjoyed watching him slogging up giro climbs with his shades stuck on the front of his helmet.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Horrible news.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Hopefully, someone will merge the multiple threads.

For me what makes this tragedy even more shocking is the immediacy, given that little more than fifteen hours ago, he was upbeat at interview, chatting about attacking on Monte Bondone, because he was feeling good.
    Then true to his word, he did and ended the race, rolling over the line, just behind Geraint.

It's left me with a very similar feeling upon waking up on that fateful, Valentine's day, back in 2004.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    :(:(:(
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    Shocking news :( The wonderful Mortirolo stage of the 2010 Giro was regular viewing on the turbo over the years.
  • Really terrible news. Thinking of his family, they must be devastated.

RIP
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Thoughts with his family. Horrendous.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Terrible and tragic news.

Scarponi to @Gazzetta_it in 2012: 'Some mornings I get lazy, struggle to get up & dressed. But once I'm on my bike, life feels light again.'
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    This morning was the first chance my wife and I have had to leave the kids behind and get out on bikes together (I've convinced her to get a bike at last), and it was beautiful. The woods were full of birdsong, and apart from a couple of dog-walkers and a horse-rider we had the forest to ourselves. At one point we came out into bright sunlight and a view right across the woods, and the moment was in no way ruined by my wife immediately dropping the f-bomb with surprise and pleasure.

Coming back to this reminds me to never take those moments for granted. So, so sorry for his family, and hope the tributes from so many of his peers at least provide a little comfort.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    Jesus. Awful news.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,432
    This was at the forefront of my thoughts throughout most of my ride this morning. Hard to believe, but again shows how vulnerable we all are. So sad.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    So sad and very shocking.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited April 2017
    Very sad.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Shocking news to start the day off win. Comes off the back of a good result in the tour of the alps. Thoughts are with his family
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Very sad.

I'm just quoting the first bit, because I thought maybe you might want to reconsider the rest.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,103
    What terrible news. His last tweet is heartbreaking. My thoughts are with his family, friends and team.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Very sad.

I'm just quoting the first bit, because I thought maybe you might want to reconsider the rest.
    OK
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373