Rourke or others ?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Buy a tube set, a brazing torch and a box of lugs.
    The only way to go if you want a truly personalised, memorable bike.
    I believe there are courses floating about that you can go on and build the frame using all the jigs"n"shoot..

I'm not coming down any hill at 50 mph on a Frame that I've stuck together. That's a job For the experts.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    cougie wrote:
    Buy a tube set, a brazing torch and a box of lugs.
    The only way to go if you want a truly personalised, memorable bike.
    I believe there are courses floating about that you can go on and build the frame using all the jigs"n"shoot..

I'm not coming down any hill at 50 mph on a Frame that I've stuck together. That's a job For the experts.

How hard can it be?
  • wotnoshoeseh
    wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
    Anyhoo

Spent Sat afternoon at Rourke cycles.

Measured up and decided on the build and paint, deposit paid and the long wait begins.

Went in with a sure idea of my bike, then saw the frames that were waiting collection and made a few changes.

853 oversized frame and forks. Lugless Tig welded, mudguard and rear rack mounts.
    Plain and understated paint design in a metalic orange and pearl white :)

Looking forward to the photos of this...

What was the spec for the rest of the build then? Groupset? Wheels? Finishing kit?
    Sounds really nice - sloping or horizontal top tube?
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    105 in silver
    Mavic open pro on shimano hubs
    Ritchey classic stem, seatpost and bars
    Brooks B17 in black
    Cambium tape in black

Top tube is 4 deg off horizontal. That was as near to horizontal as we could go given the standover clearance required.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    105 in silver
    Mavic open pro on shimano hubs
    Ritchey classic stem, seatpost and bars
    Brooks B17 in black
    Cambium tape in black

Top tube is 4 deg off horizontal. That was as near to horizontal as we could go given the standover clearance required.

Sounds great. look forward to seeing it.

Do I have to wait until I'm 50 before I can get one?
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309

Do I have to wait until I'm 50 before I can get one?

If you order now, maybe not... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • ETA 6 months.

They also just priced the full build and will be getting that job as well.

Cannae wait now !

Must be getting close now B'nG....
  • Couple of weeks in fact. Was on the phone to them yesterday.

Build is now as follows

Wheels, 105 hubs on silver Open Pro with gumwalls
    105 11 speed in silver
    Nitto stem , M106 bars and S65 Seatpost

Brooks B17 with Carradice barley in black
    Topeak master blaster road frame pump
    Crane bell.

Was hoping for around Nov 20th but thats been put back to first week in Dec.

Getting very keen now ! :)
  • Tomorrow I hope. ! :)

Have a pic of the frame and it`s lovely. Not posting till it`s all built though.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Pictures!!!!

I've been planning something like this for my 40th, but 50th looks more likely. It'll probably worth waiting a bit more to see what happens with all the current standards. Probably QRs and rim brakes are a safe choice at the moment. Rest of the spec sounds proper good. Functional and good looking, thumbs up from me.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Tomorrow I hope. ! :)

Have a pic of the frame and it`s lovely. Not posting till it`s all built though.

This was 2 days ago - almost 3!!
    Any news???
  • Frame is here but the build isn`t till Wed / Thursday next week.

Frame is bloody gorgeous. Top tube is virtually horizontal, and the tubing is not as oversized as I thought, which makes the frame look even better.

Seriously well made.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    As I have lots of bikes from skinny tubed steel to big tubed alloy, titanium and carbon the one thing i know with similar or the tyres the frame make almost no difference to ride comfort. It is all in the tyres and frame geometry.

Unforgiving carbon give us a break. Rode my look 795 for 12hr and 24hr tt's this year and no pain or discomfort. I can ride all my bikes for hours without issue. If you are finding one frame more comfortable than other then it possibly is tyre, tyre volume or position differences that will be the main cause.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    As I have lots of bikes from skinny tubed steel to big tubed alloy, titanium and carbon the one thing i know with similar or the tyres the frame make almost no difference to ride comfort. It is all in the tyres and frame geometry.

Unforgiving carbon give us a break. Rode my look 795 for 12hr and 24hr tt's this year and no pain or discomfort. I can ride all my bikes for hours without issue. If you are finding one frame more comfortable than other then it possibly is tyre, tyre volume or position differences that will be the main cause.
    Hmm, I think that only applies after a certain point - if you put big enough tyres at low enough pressure on any frame then that will dominate the ride quality. But with narrower tyres at higher pressures you definitely notice differences between frames. My XCR steel frame is actually pretty unforgiving - more so than both my carbon and aluminium frames. On rough tarmac it needs slightly wider tyres, whereas I don't feel that my carbon bike does to the same extent. Always swapping wheels about and the geometry is next to identical.
  • A quick picture.
    There was an issue with the spokes so my wheels are delayed until tomorrow but this is basically the final build (Carradice Barley to be fitted)

Looks absolutely lovely. Best looking mudguards I`ve ever seen. Will start a thread on it when the final pics are ready.

Messaging1515588807992_zpssk1fgzkt.jpg
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I never regretted by Rourke 953, lovely bike. Will last a lifetime. 853 Pro Team is a lot more cost effective though.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Show me your bidons then lol
  • hahahaha not until I`ve cleaned a matching pair :)
  • A quick picture.
    There was an issue with the spokes so my wheels are delayed until tomorrow but this is basically the final build (Carradice Barley to be fitted)

Looks absolutely lovely. Best looking mudguards I`ve ever seen. Will start a thread on it when the final pics are ready.

have you grown a beard for this too?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    That saddle...
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • bmxboy10
    A quick picture.

Please understand this is just my opinion but I think that needed Athena and some TB 14 handbuilts. :lol:

What’s the deal with the stem? Is it a threaded to A Head converter?
  • A quick picture.

Fantastic Audax machine... I am amazed at how good the B17 looks on your frame. This is a proper mile crunching bike... any massive ride planned for 2018?
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Lovely bike. Understated and attractive paint. (In fact have just realised it’s almost identical in colour to my custom tourer). Perfect proportions - it just looks “right”. The Nitto? stem and seatpost and Brooks saddle finish it off well and those appear to be fantastic mudguards.The proper wheels will be the finishing touch.

I would personally have chosen lower gearing for this audax/light touring bike for life (perhaps a super compact chainset) but that can always be addressed as you get older and weaker!
  • Thanks all.
    Its a compact with a 32 rear so plenty hill focused gearing. Planning the Fred Whitton on it with a bit of luck.

Have never gelled with Campag so it was never going to be an option either.

The Fork is 853, custom made with a 1 1/8th stem, also in 853 steel.

And I already have the beard hahaha, bloody handsome it is as well.
  • Planning the Mille Cymru MC1k3 on it with a bit of luck.
    FTFY

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-1000/

I will be helping out at one of the controls... :wink:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I like that B'n'G, very nice. A friend of mine has a Rourke and is very happy with it to say the least.
  • Final build.

DSC_0515_zpsahvirsu0.jpg

DSC_0512_zpshmbea6gh.jpg

Very very pleased. It`s as I planned and will be used as I intended. A pretty fast comfy all day bike, with a retro twist.

With all my junk (saddle mudguards, saddlebag etc) it comes in at 11.6kg, so a 10kg build stripped back.
  • bmxboy10
    Final build.

DSC_0515_zpsahvirsu0.jpg

DSC_0512_zpshmbea6gh.jpg

Very very pleased. It`s as I planned and will be used as I intended. A pretty fast comfy all day bike, with a retro twist.

With all my junk (saddle mudguards, saddlebag etc) it comes in at 11.6kg, so a 10kg build stripped back.

Hi what are the new wheels and tyres? Also are those A600 pedals?
  • Pedals are A600 yes.

Wheels are 105 hubs , Mavic open pro rims, Tyres are Vittoria Corsa G+ thingys
  • A proper randonneur bike... now you just need to find a proper Randonnee to do... ACME Grand? Paris-Brest-Paris?