Rourke or others ?

bikes`n`guns
bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Folks

Am looking at a 953 lugged Rourke as my 50th present from my missus. Probly the last bike I`ll need and will be built as a fast tourer, audaxy type thingy. (Brooks , Carradice et all) Built to see me out.

Two things.

Can I see pics of anyones Rourkes for inspiration ? and are there other makers I should be looking at (Saffron?)

Thanks in advance.
Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently

Comments

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Tom Donhou
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Titanium or regular steel would both be better options on a "bike for life" though.
  • How come ? I thought 953 stainless is going to be the best long term option. Don`t want Titanium though, want steel.

Cheers for the input blokes. That green one is lovely buy I`m sure about lugged, and that Anderson is serious dosh for stainless. Nice though.
  • styxd
    I looked into this a while ago and I'm not sure whether 953 is the best option. Columbus XCR could be better. XCR is seamless tubing, whereas 953 is rolled and welded (I've seen seen similar frames split along the seam before).
    Stainless tubing still rusts (although not as badly as regular steel) so still requires a bit of upkeep.
    It has very thin walls, so Titanium is a better prospect for dent resistance.
    It has very thin walls and is very hard to work with (like Titanium) so if you're gonna get one, make sure it's built by someone who knows exactly what they're doing (hence my link above).
    It's expensive (like Titanium).
    It rides like regular steel.

If it was my money, I'd buy a regular steel frame and get it anti rust coated. Cheaper and will probably last longer (look at all the old road frames from decades gone by, still going strong).
  • styxd wrote:
    I looked into this a while ago and I'm not sure whether 953 is the best option. Columbus XCR could be better. XCR is seamless tubing, whereas 953 is rolled and welded (I've seen seen similar frames split along the seam before).
    Stainless tubing still rusts (although not as badly as regular steel) so still requires a bit of upkeep.
    It has very thin walls, so Titanium is a better prospect for dent resistance.
    It has very thin walls and is very hard to work with (like Titanium) so if you're gonna get one, make sure it's built by someone who knows exactly what they're doing (hence my link above).
    It's expensive (like Titanium).
    It rides like regular steel.

If it was my money, I'd buy a regular steel frame and get it anti rust coated. Cheaper and will probably last longer (look at all the old road frames from decades gone by, still going strong).
    Here is an interesting link that looks at this question - http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bikes- ... 03754.html
  • Some good points there.
    Looked at 853 and the price drop is huge !

I`m assuming 853 will be thicker walled ? and surely not much of a weight penalty ?.

Even with a little chroming it still comes in much cheaper, just not sure about corrosion issues in the long term.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I can thoroughly recommend Rourkes, I had a custom build done 18 months ago, and it was a very good experience. The only thing I would say is that I don't think that they build lugged frames, at least it's not something they advertise on their site, nor have I seen any examples. If a lugged frame is what you want, you may need to go elsewhere.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Are you sure you want a lugged frame? If you're going for modern steel and especially 953 or XCR lugs will be purely decorative and just add weight, which sort of goes against the point of high-end steel in any case. These steels are metallurgically designed to be TIG welded.

Steel rides like steel, but different tube diameters make for frames that ride very differently. The current trend for oversized tubing makes for very stiff frames. My Enigma Extensor (XCR) has 31.6mm top and seat tubes and 35mm downtube, and it rides more like an unforgiving carbon frame than like traditional steel. It wouldn't be my first choice for a long endurance type ride. You can get even wider XCR tubes now (38mm downtubes) - I can only imagine that these tubesets must be brutally stiff.

Basically, tube diameter (and geometry of course) will determine how it rides (pretty much irrespective of the type of tubing), high-end steels will save weight (but then it's slightly perverse to lug them), high-end stainless steels will be much less prone to rust.

The high-end steel alloys are very strong, which is what enables the very thin tubing to bring the weight down. This may only be anecdotal, but I've managed to slightly dent a titanium frame but never my XCR frame (although I haven't tried of course.. ;-))
  • I've considered this myself and if I were going steel I think I'd probably just go with the 853, and I think I'd have it fillet brazed for the cleaner lines.
    The additional cost of 953 does not seem worth it to me.

Also there's a gallery on the Rourke website....if you need further inspiration.
    http://www.rourke.biz/gallery.shtml
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I've had a couple of custom steel bikes made for me and I'd fully endorse the idea - all I would say is that it's probably worth speaking to a few manufactures before deciding. I'd wager they know rather more than the combined wisdom of this forum as to the best tubes / geometry / construction. Rather than deciding on a particular frameset, talk to the builder and see what they recommend for the use you have in mind.

Personally, whilst I'm sure they're great frames, I've always found Roukes a little underwhelming visually, that said I've never ridden one... However, I'd definitely be looking at Feather, Saffron, Donhou if you're set on an UK manufacturer or Pegoretti, Indy Fab, Firefly etc if you want to look further afield. It does depend how quickly you want it though - delivery times vary dramatically.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Am looking at a 953 lugged Rourke as my 50th present from my missus. Probly the last bike I`ll need.
    50 isn't that old, I hope.
  • No it`s not, I`ll just be hoping that a decent steel bike will keep me on the road till my 90s at least .
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    I originally looked at 953 for my Rusby but we ended up with Xcr. It's a gorgeous ride. Can't recommend it enough.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • skmark
    skmark Posts: 29

Lovely bike that........though I'm biased as its mine :D

15000107_10154744831490816_5380028412005762061_o_zpsdt1fwzgd.jpg

I'm still very much 'in love' with my Rourke (it was my 50th too)......wouldn't change a thing.

If you check out the gallery, they do have 'lugged' frames in 953 if that's really what you want. Go for it! There's nothing quite like being able to specify every single detail. Rourkes are great to deal with too. I chose them and 953, Hunt, Brooks etc. as I'm a bit of a sucker for 'buying British' as much as possible too.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    Always fancied one of these. From Sheffield as well, home of steel...

http://www.fieldcycles.com/gallery
  • Spent half an hour on the phone to Rourke and have come away with an exact idea of what I want.

853 lugged frame 853 forks with various chromed bits and nice paint , some fancy braze on bits for stuff to hang off it.

Enjoyed chatting with them and am now convinced they will be building the bike.
  • styxd
    Good choice.

Disc or rim brakes?
  • lakesluddite
    Oh yes, the one in the Rourke gallery called 'Robin's Stainless Lugged 953' - so they do do lugged frames!
  • Yes they do.

Will be doing Rim brakes. Want it built with 105 11 speed in silver. I have Wheelsmith race 30`s that I want to use with it as well.
  • skmark
    skmark Posts: 29
    Spent half an hour on the phone to Rourke and have come away with an exact idea of what I want.

853 lugged frame 853 forks with various chromed bits and nice paint , some fancy braze on bits for stuff to hang off it.

Enjoyed chatting with them and am now convinced they will be building the bike.

Excellent!! It's great to have a very good idea of what you'd like before you go along for the fitting etc. but keep an open mind. I definitely wanted disc brakes and a 953 fork. After spending hours discussing all the options and quite literally weighing some of them up, I went with rim brakes and an Enve carbon fork :D .

The guys at Rourkes have heard it all before and are so helpful in guiding you to make your ideas a reality.

Get yourself booked-in for a fitting asap......there's even a bit of a waiting list for this :o .
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Pegoretti, Stelbel and Baum are worth looking at.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    No it`s not, I`ll just be hoping that a decent steel bike will keep me on the road till my 90s at least .

Whaaaaat ? No new bikes for 40 years ? Are you insane ? You'll have all that retirement to shop around.
  • God no, there will be plenty new bikes but probably all unsuitable for me in my dottage ! :)

Argon 18 Gallium Pro for an 80 yr old to go shopping on ! :)
  • bikes`n`guns
    Anyhoo

Spent Sat afternoon at Rourke cycles.

Measured up and decided on the build and paint, deposit paid and the long wait begins.

Went in with a sure idea of my bike, then saw the frames that were waiting collection and made a few changes.

853 oversized frame and forks. Lugless Tig welded, mudguard and rear rack mounts.
    Plain and understated paint design in a metalic orange and pearl white :)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    It does sound nice. Don't forget we want photos !
  • lakesluddite
    Good lad, sounds excellent.

Did they give you an ETA on completion?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Buy a tube set, a brazing torch and a box of lugs.
    The only way to go if you want a truly personalised, memorable bike.
    I believe there are courses floating about that you can go on and build the frame using all the jigs"n"shit..
  • bikes`n`guns
    ETA 6 months.

They also just priced the full build and will be getting that job as well.

Cannae wait now !