To gatecrash a sportive or not?

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    No don't do it, just stay at home. It's too scary for you.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Garry H wrote:
    No don't do it, just stay at home. It's too scary for you.

How do you know that? He might turn up like a boss and smash its doors off. Win it by a mile, neo pro contract in the post the next day.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Fudgey wrote:
    I cant be arsed to read any of this, but...

You haven't missed much.
    Fudgey wrote:
    Has anyone suggested if its local to ask around if someone has dropped out?
    As im sure that even if it is sold out some will not turn up so maybe if you are prepared to pay then do the sawp.

That's ^ a good idea.
    Fudgey wrote:
    Or failing that, just ride it and dont tell the world on the internet.

No one noticed. No one complained. No crime. Habeas Cyclus. Perfect.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    I often encounter Sportives on my rides, it's not my problem if they are using the same route at the same time. I don't use their feed stations, but I did once get a use of a track pump from a roadside volunteer, and I did use a water bowser to refill my bidons once.
    I appreciate that this is now a long and turgid thread, but this scenario has kind of been covered. I take it you don't drive to the starting point, hang around until it starts and then follow the participants around though?

Nope, I usually catch a Wiggle Sportive that uses the New Forest around this time of year. It confuses the hell out of the volunteers when I go 'the wrong way' then pass the same volunteer a couple of hours later 'going the right way'. I really dislike sportives and the sorts of wanker they tend to seem to attract, but if they insist on using open public roads for their event, then they can't expect to have the roads to themselves.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    I often encounter Sportives on my rides, it's not my problem if they are using the same route at the same time. I don't use their feed stations, but I did once get a use of a track pump from a roadside volunteer, and I did use a water bowser to refill my bidons once.
    I appreciate that this is now a long and turgid thread, but this scenario has kind of been covered. I take it you don't drive to the starting point, hang around until it starts and then follow the participants around though?

Nope, I usually catch a Wiggle Sportive that uses the New Forest around this time of year. It confuses the hell out of the volunteers when I go 'the wrong way' then pass the same volunteer a couple of hours later 'going the right way'. I really dislike sportives and the sorts of rubber they tend to seem to attract, but if they insist on using open public roads for their event, then they can't expect to have the roads to themselves.
    Yeah, even though we agree, I think we should argue about it.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605

you actually read what the other person wrote, listen to what he was saying and then agreed :? ... dude you are such a noob.

don't listen to others, just post your own opinion, wait a few posts and then re-iterate it ... and every time you do it get more and more anger into your post, when you start to get bored just start throwing insults.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    fat daddy wrote:
    don't listen to others, just post your own opinion, wait a few posts and then re-iterate it ... and every time you do it get more and more anger into your post, when you start to get bored just start throwing insults.

If you read his posts, that's precisely what he has been doing...
    Jesus there are some selfish tossers on this forum.
    So, are we all clear yet on the distinction between what we have the right to do and what is right to do? Or is the forum still being populated by simpletons?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Actually, if you are out on one of your regular local rides and find a Sportive following the same route as you - are they technically gatecrashing your ride, rather than the other way around?

Personally, I think if you benefit in any way from the sportive which is taking place then its morally wrong, but its not exactly the crime of the century. And by 'benefit', I include copying their route and benefitting from the planning and signage in that - they put alot of time effort and money into things like that.

If its a charity ride and they are sold out and you make a donation to that charity then I wouldnt feel too bad about it though - the charity is still benefitting after all.

There is an annual ride around here that is run by a local cycling club and is pretty big now - couple of years ago someone I know was thinking about going and talked about him, me and one of his mates using their car park and then riding it without entering. I dont know whether he would have used feed stations etc but I just said I wasnt available on that day and without having an argument, distanced myself from the opportunity - just didnt feel right.

For the last 4/5 years, I have been riding loads of the Evans Cycles Rideit events. I think I was spoiled. They used to limit the numbers to 3-400 and they were like a big family where you chatted to loads of the other riders, the staff and just had a great time together. Great feed stations, great organisation and some fantastic routes. The chaps that ran them were always the same and you got to know them. Plus when my son was under 16, his entry was free and I used to sign up to a year of rides in January when they were usually BOGOF and the cost was only £15. Plus when you signed up 4 weeks in advance you got a big box of High5 goodies.

So for £7.50 a ride, my son and I both had a great day out, loads of free food at the feed stations and two sets of High5 goodies - in theory both boxes were worth £10 each and you would get a couple of smaller boxes too.

The last couple of years the price has edged up, now £25 (but thats still alot less than Wiggle rides), my son is no longer free as he is now 17, and the free goodies are much less than before. And the BOGOF has become 3for2. So from £7.50 a ride, it has now become £33 a ride and you get less free stuff. Its still acceptable in terms of value for what we get though.

I did the Wiggle Magnificat a few years back - I think it was about £50 just for me. You got a medal and all that sh*t but that is just too expensive in my book. Worse than that though - it was the worst ride I have EVER had on the bike. There were apparently 3000 odd riders and it was unpleasant as a cyclist, never mind a local motorist. I could understand then why they hate sportives so much. With so many mixed abilities in the bunch, from the novice creaking and wobbling along and making it hard to overtake to the club riders who draft within 5mm of the back of the bike of anyone, including those novices and cut in front of other riders when taking turns in the road. So many bikes stretched out that there were no overtaking opportunities for cars and therefore the cyclists were stuck behind the cars which were stuck behind other cyclists. I thought then that if the New Forest has this every other week, I can understand why they hate them so much and take drastic action out of desparation (not that I condone those actions). I have never ridden a Wiggle ride again.

Trouble is, my beloved Evans Rideit events are going that way - they have been too successful and as well as watering down the benefits and edging up the costs, they have edged up the numbers. Last year they were 5-600 I think - which was still OK but I said to them then that I hope they dont get too big. Last weekend there were 1100 riders on the Windsor event and they have ruined it in my opinion. If you had a surname starting between M and T or some such, there was a big queue for registration, although with B, we had no queue at all. We all had to queue in the cold for 20 minutes for the start thouh, as they couldnt do the group briefings quickly enough - they have not grown the support services to match the numbers they now have. Worst of all though, the whole atmosphere has changed - its not personal and friendly any more - the organisers are too busy to chat like they used to, the riders are not as friendly either and there are just too many for the roads. Getting out of Windsor, Riding through Maidenhead and crawling through Marlow were all most unpleasant and this is the first Evans ride where I have heard motorists beep, swear and call cyclists a menace.

I think I will do more Audax in the future - much more pleasant although you dont get the mechanical support or pre-organised feed/toilet stops, the people are still friendly and the numbers are pleasant.

Why someone would want to do these busy rides is beyond me - avoid at all costs in my opinion.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    DavidJB wrote:
    earth wrote:
    stuff

I think you'll find on the day no one gives a rats ars*. You know...people out in the real world and not a bunch of moral keyboard champions.
    Indeed.
  • apreading wrote:
    Actually, if you are out on one of your regular local rides and find a Sportive following the same route as you - are they technically gatecrashing your ride, rather than the other way around?

Personally, I think if you benefit in any way from the sportive which is taking place then its morally wrong, but its not exactly the crime of the century. And by 'benefit', I include copying their route and benefitting from the planning and signage in that - they put alot of time effort and money into things like that.

If its a charity ride and they are sold out and you make a donation to that charity then I wouldnt feel too bad about it though - the charity is still benefitting after all.

There is an annual ride around here that is run by a local cycling club and is pretty big now - couple of years ago someone I know was thinking about going and talked about him, me and one of his mates using their car park and then riding it without entering. I dont know whether he would have used feed stations etc but I just said I wasnt available on that day and without having an argument, distanced myself from the opportunity - just didnt feel right.

For the last 4/5 years, I have been riding loads of the Evans Cycles Rideit events. I think I was spoiled. They used to limit the numbers to 3-400 and they were like a big family where you chatted to loads of the other riders, the staff and just had a great time together. Great feed stations, great organisation and some fantastic routes. The chaps that ran them were always the same and you got to know them. Plus when my son was under 16, his entry was free and I used to sign up to a year of rides in January when they were usually BOGOF and the cost was only £15. Plus when you signed up 4 weeks in advance you got a big box of High5 goodies.

So for £7.50 a ride, my son and I both had a great day out, loads of free food at the feed stations and two sets of High5 goodies - in theory both boxes were worth £10 each and you would get a couple of smaller boxes too.

The last couple of years the price has edged up, now £25 (but thats still alot less than Wiggle rides), my son is no longer free as he is now 17, and the free goodies are much less than before. And the BOGOF has become 3for2. So from £7.50 a ride, it has now become £33 a ride and you get less free stuff. Its still acceptable in terms of value for what we get though.

I did the Wiggle Magnificat a few years back - I think it was about £50 just for me. You got a medal and all that sh*t but that is just too expensive in my book. Worse than that though - it was the worst ride I have EVER had on the bike. There were apparently 3000 odd riders and it was unpleasant as a cyclist, never mind a local motorist. I could understand then why they hate sportives so much. With so many mixed abilities in the bunch, from the novice creaking and wobbling along and making it hard to overtake to the club riders who draft within 5mm of the back of the bike of anyone, including those novices and cut in front of other riders when taking turns in the road. So many bikes stretched out that there were no overtaking opportunities for cars and therefore the cyclists were stuck behind the cars which were stuck behind other cyclists. I thought then that if the New Forest has this every other week, I can understand why they hate them so much and take drastic action out of desparation (not that I condone those actions). I have never ridden a Wiggle ride again.

Trouble is, my beloved Evans Rideit events are going that way - they have been too successful and as well as watering down the benefits and edging up the costs, they have edged up the numbers. Last year they were 5-600 I think - which was still OK but I said to them then that I hope they dont get too big. Last weekend there were 1100 riders on the Windsor event and they have ruined it in my opinion. If you had a surname starting between M and T or some such, there was a big queue for registration, although with B, we had no queue at all. We all had to queue in the cold for 20 minutes for the start thouh, as they couldnt do the group briefings quickly enough - they have not grown the support services to match the numbers they now have. Worst of all though, the whole atmosphere has changed - its not personal and friendly any more - the organisers are too busy to chat like they used to, the riders are not as friendly either and there are just too many for the roads. Getting out of Windsor, Riding through Maidenhead and crawling through Marlow were all most unpleasant and this is the first Evans ride where I have heard motorists beep, swear and call cyclists a menace.

I think I will do more Audax in the future - much more pleasant although you dont get the mechanical support or pre-organised feed/toilet stops, the people are still friendly and the numbers are pleasant.

Why someone would want to do these busy rides is beyond me - avoid at all costs in my opinion.

TL:DR
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    apreading wrote:

Did the Gatwick CX ride it the other week, had about the right amount, i.e. People around but not overcrowded etc.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I was actually wondering the other day are Sportives still popular? It's been about 5 years since I did one (back when they were £15 entry) Apparently the bum crashed out of the road bike market last year so with no new blood the glut of Sportives time is limited surely?
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Each to their own and all that, but I never understood the appeal anyway. Even on the odd occasion of a closed road event, you still have to deal with hundreds of choppers.

Step-father-in-law is signed up for Ride London. Once he's got travel (from the north-east), hotel, entrance fee, charity donation, frame/wheel repair, new bibs etc all paid up he could have a few days in Mallorca.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    apreading wrote:
    Actually, if you are out on one of your regular local rides and find a Sportive following the same route as you - are they technically gatecrashing your ride, rather than the other way around?.

yes .... assuming they have researched into what time you are going to ride your route and organised theirs to be at exactly the same time, go out, wait for you to come along, then start cycling with you and stopping whenever you stop .... then yes, they are gategrashing your ride ... bastids
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Dinyull wrote:
    Each to their own and all that, but I never understood the appeal anyway. Even on the odd occasion of a closed road event, you still have to deal with hundreds of choppers.

Step-father-in-law is signed up for Ride London. Once he's got travel (from the north-east), hotel, entrance fee, charity donation, frame/wheel repair, new bibs etc all paid up he could have a few days in Mallorca.

yup - but closed roads is closed roads - no cars with idiot drivers to worry about.
    I did RL last year (first time) and was around before the incidents that held up many - I enjoyed it, not to the extent that I'd pay £xxx to do it - but enough that I'd do it again - and I am, I've got a place this year (round about way) - it'll cost me no more than the entry fee and fuel for the campervan to get there and back.

I think there are those who gatecrash RL too ...
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    So much about sportives.

You want a challenge and you want much better cake and food and camaraderie as well as riding in a group?

Its called Audax and has been around forever and is cheap as chips and is basically better.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Matthewfalle
    Dinyull wrote:

Why does he need frame and wheel repair and new bibs, etc?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Dinyull wrote:

The inevitable crash from chopperish behaviour. Should add in a week off work too.

Now, if everyone learnt group riding in a club.......
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Dinyull wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:

The inevitable crash from chopperish behaviour. Should add in a week off work too.

I have found the most dangerous riders on big sportives to be club riders. Not all club riders, many are fine. But some groups seem to be reckless, ride in packs too close and fast to other riders of lesser ability, change direction with no warning, barge past without caring, with little or no regard for other riders or road users, assuming everyone is like them or should get off the road. As as I said, not all club riders are like this but most riders like this seem to be club riders, with an air of superiority and invincibility.
  • First.Aspect
    fat daddy wrote:
    you actually read what the other person wrote, listen to what he was saying and then agreed :? ... dude you are such a noob.
    I can't follow this. Is this what I have done, should have done, should have been doing, shouldn't do or shouldn't have done?
  • Matthewfalle
    Well, me hearties, it's all about the background ....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • First.Aspect
    Have you taken up sailing recently?
  • milemuncher1
    edited April 2017

Nope, I usually catch a Wiggle Sportive that uses the New Forest around this time of year. It confuses the hell out of the volunteers when I go 'the wrong way' then pass the same volunteer a couple of hours later 'going the right way'. I really dislike sportives and the sorts of rubber they tend to seem to attract, but if they insist on using open public roads for their event, then they can't expect to have the roads to themselves.

That's it, by Jove, I think you've got it :D
  • milemuncher1
    apreading wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:

I have found the most dangerous riders on big sportives to be club riders. Not all club riders, many are fine. But some groups seem to be reckless, ride in packs too close and fast to other riders of lesser ability, change direction with no warning, barge past without caring, with little or no regard for other riders or road users, assuming everyone is like them or should get off the road. As as I said, not all club riders are like this but most riders like this seem to be club riders, with an air of superiority and invincibility.

This type of rider dislike being 'orbited'. Wait until a strung out, relatively slow section of a ride like this, like a hilly section , then 'orbit' them. They get all 'incandescent' and vocal. It's hilarious. :lol:
  • Matthewfalle
    apreading wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:

This type of rider dislike being 'orbited'. Wait until a strung out, relatively slow section of a ride like this, like a hilly section , then 'orbit' them. They get all 'incandescent' and vocal. It's hilarious. :lol:

Clubbies, eh.....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Dinyull wrote:

Then we could have even more arrogant twats who think they own the road then we already do.

Now wouldn't that be great.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Have you taken up sailing recently?

Shiver me timbers, what gads ye thinking of this?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Am I the only one that fears sportives? They are targets for kamikaze cyclists to take out people. I would be afraid of someone turning up with a bottom bracket bomb or tyres filled with a lethal gas.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    I think the (lack of) riding skills is often sufficient to cause mass destruction without the need for BB bombs!
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I'll probably be riding the magnificat route on the day without paying...come find me and tell me what a naughty evil man I am :)...