To gatecrash a sportive or not?

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    As an aside, I went out for a quick solo spin on Sunday morning. For about 5 or 6 miles I was riding in the opposite direction to a minor local sportive that was going on.

Beautiful sunny morning, perfect riding weather so I cheerily said morning to them all as we passed.

What a bunch of miserable bastards, 3/4 of them didn't acknowledge me at all.

They were not happy you were freeloading on a road they had paid to be on.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605

so lets say, for arguments sake, you have the athletic ability of a feeble boy child and are only doing 15mph ..... and lets say that the average sportive ride is an over weight midlife crisiser vergine on a heart attack and also only doing 15 mph.

you have a closing and passing speed of 30mph, on top of that the noise of the nearest 10 bikes around you if any free wheel add the noise of a load clicking hub, on top of that add wind noise, on top of that add the concentration that the sportive rider is watching the bike infront as not to crash if it slows, add to that they are not paying attention to a lone cyclist coming the other direction

and you say or not hello to one of them .. at what distance, 5 meters ? ... they have approximately ... assuming they hear you or realise you have greeted them ... they have approximatetly 1.5 seconds to reply before you are out of range ... assuming that 13m/s speed

and you are complaining that 3/4s of them didn't respond ? .... I am surprised 1/4 actually managed to
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    I would plan to avoid riding near sportives at all costs, most participants cant ride for toffee and act as though the roads are closed irritating drivers. Unfortunately where I live they are very common. If I were riding and happened upon following the sportive route I would change my plans to get out of the way, certainly not plan to join it!
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    fat daddy wrote:
    De Sisti wrote:
    So, @Earth, are you going to ride the event?

didnt we already figure out that its not "riding the event", its riding on open roads that you are free to ride on when ever you like, just purposely at the time of a scheduled paid for event on the same roads, with the intent of being in the group of people that are paying for the event.
    No. My question was to the OP as to whether he/she was going to ride the event.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    ben@31 wrote:
    In my opinion both sides are morally wrong.

Ive seen it where where events on public roads were sold out, except charity muggers will sell you a place for a £500 profit. In the end, with the cost of getting there and overnight accommodation, it would have been cheaper to go to Mallorca than take part.
    I concur, I did a sportive in scotland a couple of times, got half a days riding in and half a days recce the day before, now go to Mallorca instead in May, cost was similar, except we get 4 days riding in much better conditions. As for the original argument, so easy to make a case for either side. I wouldn't do it, sounds to me that the OP needs other people to sort his rides for him and other people to tell him if he's doing right or wrong.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Garry H wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    I would liken it to walking off the street into a pub beer garden, with a four pack of Fosters in a carrier bag, and joining a couple/family/group table.

Not something normal, functioning members of a society do, but we all know cyclists can be a bit different.
    Not really. It's more akin to a pub landlord selling beer in a public park, then me turning up with a four pack and drinking it.

I would 'follow' the event because of the principle of this, however, in real life I wouldn't because I would be terrified of someone calling me out and feeling terribly socially awkward for the entire day. I ride my bike to avoid social awkwardness mostly...
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    HaydenM wrote:
    I ride my bike to avoid social awkwardness mostly...

is the "mostly" bit the tight lycra ?
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    fat daddy wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    I ride my bike to avoid social awkwardness mostly...

is the "mostly" bit the tight lycra ?

Definitely, that and the part where I have to pull over morons to ask why they pulled out on me.
  • DavidJB wrote:
    As an aside, I went out for a quick solo spin on Sunday morning. For about 5 or 6 miles I was riding in the opposite direction to a minor local sportive that was going on.

Beautiful sunny morning, perfect riding weather so I cheerily said morning to them all as we passed.

Cyclist version of "you don't pay road tax"?

I did something similar on Sunday morning - a local Sportive/family fun ride but not setting off until after 9am. I set off at 7am and did the route of the medium ride (approx 80km) so I was back by 10am in time for family stuff. I'm local so I know all the roads - the route was okay but I could have designed a better one. It was nicer that I was by myself than in the big mass of official riders.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I once found myself inadvertently sharing one of my regular routes with a sportive. I was flying on a long downhill stretch with a 25mph tailwind while they were all struggling the other way. I later learned they were 50 miles in, and soaked to the skin, so maybe that's why they weren't grinning like me...

And I once found myself in the middle of a local TT. It was clear that I wasn't competing cos I wasn't wearing a race number, giant condom or a pointy hat. Nor indeed was I going anywhere near as fast as they were, and I kept being overtaken by the ominous drone of carbon wheels and overinflated tyres. I did get an ironic cheer as I crossed the line though :D

Respect to the TTers; some of them were seriously quick. How do you do that?? The only time I get close to those speeds I have the aforementioned tailwind / downhill. I cannot imagine what it must be like to be able to propel a bike that fast on the flat. (And at my age I don't think I'll ever find out...)
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979

Because you weren't there mate.
  • Dinyull wrote:

Because you weren't there mate.

I wasn't there, mate

or

I wasn't their mate?
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    No eras su amigo
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    I often encounter Sportives on my rides, it's not my problem if they are using the same route at the same time. I don't use their feed stations, but I did once get a use of a track pump from a roadside volunteer, and I did use a water bowser to refill my bidons once.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,638
    I often encounter Sportives on my rides, it's not my problem if they are using the same route at the same time. I don't use their feed stations, but I did once get a use of a track pump from a roadside volunteer, and I did use a water bowser to refill my bidons once.
    I appreciate that this is now a long and turgid thread, but this scenario has kind of been covered. I take it you don't drive to the starting point, hang around until it starts and then follow the participants around though?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    DavidJB wrote:

But he was going in the opposite direction to the miserable scrotes so they had no reason to be miserable scrotes.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Yeah, why not! I did last year. I didn't want to pay £30 to ride on the same roads that I ride on all the time so I joined in about a mile from the start and overtook everyone, passed through the feed/timing station and finally got passed by the big boys on the last leg, great fun!
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    I started this thread because I recognise there is a moral question here. I purposely named it provocatively to highlight that dilemma.

The problem is I waited until the end of the month before going to enter the sportive. On this occasion it was just too late to enter the sportive. All the places have been filled.

So while nursing disappointment I considered riding the route on the day without using any facilities. It could be called gatecrashing and I named the thread from that perspective.

It's really just about me wanting to do this local event and having not got over that the fact that I missed it. I don't take a 4 pack to the pub and sit in the corner sneaking it into my glass.

It's also not the same as that either. To put it in those terms it is like the pub arranging a charity event in a public park and then selling out of beer. If someone has a pocket full of money and wants to buy beer but finds there is none left then they are well within their rights and morals to buy their own beer and make a donation to the charity. The fee is not for the use of the roads. The rules of the road are simple, they are for public use. There is no maximum limit placed on the number of users in any way. If authorities were concerned then the sportive would either not go ahead or it would have to be on closed roads where they can guarantee the number of people on the road. That's not the case. So the authorities will have taken into account other road users. If I don't use the facilities, including the start and finish venue then I am not receiving anything I have not paid for. The organisers efforts have not been wasted - they sold out. If I contribute to the charity then I think morally it's just about covered.

To confirm this I asked the organiser how they felt. The response was that the roads are for public use but their insurance would not cover any accident I might be involved in. Well that's a surprise. But I would not expect to be covered and if I went for a ride over different roads on the same day then guess what - I would not be covered by their insurance.

So I'm going to turn the table. You paid well in advance and you've got your place, all is good. Someone who was willing to pay the fee but was too late still wants to enjoy the day, recognises they cannot eat the food, isn't going to start from the start line or finish at the finish or drop litter but is donating to the charity. What kind of ignorant knut would think they could exclude them? Is that British or just Surrey?

The event is next week. I may not do it for fear of meeting the likes of Carbonator. Or I might do it just to assert that I have every right to.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    earth wrote:

The event is next week. I may not do it for fear of meeting the likes of Carbonator. Or I might do it just to assert that I have every right to.

Well said. Not just the bit I quoted (although that is particularly amusing), but all of it.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB wrote:

But he was going in the opposite direction to the miserable scrotes so they had no reason to be miserable scrotes.

Dunno, I'd be annoyed if I just paid £40 for some Jelly beans, cakes and a tin medal ;)
  • DavidJB
    earth wrote:
    stuff

I think you'll find on the day no one gives a rats arse. You know...people out in the real world and not a bunch of moral keyboard champions.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There was a great photo of a couple nicking food at a feed station on one of the early season sportives. When challenged about their lack of numbers they got quite irate.
  • Matthewfalle
    DavidJB wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:

Dunno, I'd be annoyed if I just paid £40 for some Jelly beans, cakes and a tin medal ;)

Good call my man!

But at least they had a great story to tell to their clubby mates/co-workers at the office about the amazing race they had been in at the weekend/great challenge they had completed .........

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Why not just go the whole hog. Look up the entry list, pick a name. Turn up super early and pose as said bloke, ride and eat your way around the course and if you happen to see a charity collection box nab that too. In for a penny in for a pound, or not as the case may be....

*don't do any of this, please.
  • Matthewfalle
    ravey1981 wrote:
    Why not just go the whole hog. Look up the entry list, pick a name. Turn up super early and pose as said bloke, ride and eat your way around the course and if you happen to see a charity collection box nab that too. In for a penny in for a pound, or not as the case may be....

*do this, please.

I think that's brilliant.

do it. Do it. Do it. Do it.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    And if the real Fred Bloggs or whoever's identity you've borrowed tracks you down on the day just start shouting that you've seen his thread on BR and he should piss off and pay for his riding on open roads like the rest of you have.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    For real effect, steal a burd's identity (or, if you are a burd, a geezer's identity).

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    earth wrote:

soap-box.jpg
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    I cant be arsed to read any of this, but...

Has anyone suggested if its local to ask around if someone has dropped out?
    As im sure that even if it is sold out some will not turn up so maybe if you are prepared to pay then do the sawp.

Or failing that, just ride it and dont tell the world on the internet.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • Matthewfalle
    Or tell everyone afterwards and watch the internet explode in mock MAMIL/clubby indignation.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.