Strava - narcissistic?

teebs_123
teebs_123 Posts: 357
edited May 2017 in Road general
Is it?

I used to follow Strava Wankers when I was on Twitter, which showed Strava for all its bad points, but is it getting worse for Narcissism etc?

Our local club Strava group has been inundated with some of the local University riders and jesus, every ride is 10 photos with a minute by minute description of their ride. A guy local to me has 5,000 followers, does the same route every other day and gets 1000 x Kudos? - what's the point?

It's a great tool when used correctly, but it's almost becoming as bad as Facebook

Moan over :D
Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
Kinesis 4s Di2

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    He's probably clever... if the followers are many, you can make money and you can get free cycling stuff to review or just to be seen using/wearing

Welcome to the 21st century
    left the forum March 2023
  • teebs_123
    He's probably clever... if the followers are many, you can make money and you can get free cycling stuff to review or just to be seen using/wearing

Christ, this world isn't for me anymore
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • ugo.santalucia
    Teebs_123 wrote:

There's good and bad... I used to ask for freebies to try out and review on my blog (I hope you don't think I bought a pair of Tannus tyres!). Mavic and Co. never gave a toss about my requests, but when you contact a smaller manufacturer or distributor, they are quite keen to get visibility for a few quid. It's a lot less than they would spend for advertising space on a website or magazine and I get to ride 100 quid worth of tyres for free... everybody is a winner

If I had 1000 followers on Strava I'd make sure they all "work for me"
  • teebs_123
    Teebs_123 wrote:

There's good and bad... I used to ask for freebies to try out and review on my blog (I hope you don't think I bought a pair of Tannus tyres!). Mavic and Co. never gave a toss about my requests, but when you contact a smaller manufacturer or distributor, they are quite keen to get visibility for a few quid. It's a lot less than they would spend for advertising space on a website or magazine and I get to ride 100 quid worth of tyres for free... everybody is a winner

If I had 1000 followers on Strava I'd make sure they all "work for me"

That's a clever way to use Strava, I'm more interested/annoyed by the other people!
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    edited March 2017
    Strava is the provably the least narcissistic of all social media because at least Strava proves if the person is as good at cycling or running as what they say they are. Especially if they have a powermeter which will show if their segment was actually down to them working hard or was their 23mph+ actually due to a slight decline with a strong tailwind and drafting the number 56 bus.
    As for the photos, I find it interesting to see where people have cycled and ran, if there's some good scenery. This works the other way... For distant relatives to see where I've been and what it was like on my travels.
    At no point have I ever been jealous of anyone else on Strava. At no point have I ever been jealous of anyone else on Strava. I just use it as a diary to log my own rides and keep track of how much I have (or haven't) done this month. Personally I love Strava, it's a life changer that got me into running and cycling regularly.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    As ever it depends on what you want out of it?

I do stop and take photos on some rides, I like the mapping training log so I can look back etc.

Kudos less so bit too Facebooky for me mostly.
  • Teebs_123 wrote:
    Is it?

I used to follow Strava Wankers when I was on Twitter, which showed Strava for all its bad points, but is it getting worse for Narcissism etc?

Our local club Strava group has been inundated with some of the local University riders and jesus, every ride is 10 photos with a minute by minute description of their ride. A guy local to me has 5,000 followers, does the same route every other day and gets 1000 x Kudos? - what's the point?

It's a great tool when used correctly, but it's almost becoming as bad as Facebook

Totally agree. I have a love hate relationship with Strava. I like to click the kudos button though as it is a good way to 'stay in touch' with other riders that I don't see every week.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • teebs_123
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Is it?

Totally agree. I have a love hate relationship with Strava. I like to click the kudos button though as it is a good way to 'stay in touch' with other riders that I don't see every week.

Don't get me wrong, someone does a good ride and they'll get Kudos, but receiving 500+ for a 5 miles ride is just chuffin odd.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Its a bit sad how in the last couple of years my strava feed of people I follow has gone from no turbo rides at all to basically completely made up of them! Guys I used to ride and race with are stuck indoors doing virtual 'races'.
    Thats why its quite refreshing to follow runners that actually get outside and post pictures.
  • ugo.santalucia
    AK_jnr wrote:
    Its a bit sad how in the last couple of years my strava feed of people I follow has gone from no turbo rides at all to basically completely made up of them! Guys I used to ride and race with are stuck indoors doing virtual 'races'.
    Thats why its quite refreshing to follow runners that actually get outside and post pictures.

It's a good thing... fewer tw-ats on the roads
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

It's possible to buy Twitter followers to improve your online image. Is it possible this is happening for Strava?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Teebs_123 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, someone does a good ride and they'll get Kudos, but receiving 500+ for a 5 miles ride is just chuffin odd.

On the opposide side of the spectrum, I did 125 miles and got 4... :wink:
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Strava is useful sometimes. Mainly for route plotting, and getting a GPX file easily. It does attract some turbasturbators, and some needy, aspergics. I have had some very random 'kudos' as well.
  • Teebs_123 wrote:

:D

I didn't think you did Strava?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Teebs_123 wrote:

New enterprise... I began late January when I got a cheap Garmin 200... follow me, so I can make 5! :lol:
  • Teebs_123 wrote:

New enterprise... I began late January when I got a cheap Garmin 200... follow me, so I can make 5! :lol:

Just found you and it was 7 not 4. It's 8 now :wink:
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    edited March 2017
    I loathed it but joined in winter 2015 and do enjoy using it as a barometer for myself and logging / assessing data though most of it subjective. I have 10 people I share with and that is it, and all are people I have ridden with and currently ride with as a social thing really. It also reminds me my riding buddy Jimbob is simply just fast ....
  • ugo.santalucia

Boy, that escalated quickly! :mrgreen:

• Just found you and it was 7 not 4. It's 8 now :wink:

LOL
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You're up to 9!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942

your masterplan worked, soon be at 1,000 :wink:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Out of the group of cyclist's I know, the one's who are most Strava active (follow everyone, post pics, comment, kudos everything etc) ride less. In fact, 1 could list his best times on most of the local hills without having to check Strava, despite riding only a handful of times a year.
  • I just found you and you're up to 11 now

You're going viral, better start contacting potential sponsors now

PS one of your followers lives in the next village to me, is that someone from here? Robert M...
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • I say use it as the tool to improve or track fitness. I see what you mean, people with a 1000 or 2000 "followers" and kudos. At that point it is a circle-jerk. I could see having maybe 25 or so people. A couple close friends. A favorite pro rider you follow.

Also, I'm learning to control myself when looking at segment times. It can be a pointless narcissism adventure. I have someone local to me that got two or three QOM's on a recent ride of only 15 miles. I looked at the segments......all 3 downhill segments at only like 85 watts doing 35 mi/hr. Big whoop, you can coast. Who creates junk like that?

I also see some narcissism around "watts". Watts in quotes because it is the fake Strava watts and not power meter ones. I wonder what information they use to average 230 watts but only manage to average 17 mph in the flats. I make my body weight low to match closer what the power meter on the trainer says.
  • Is this thread just a sneaky master plan to get ugo.santalucia more Strava followers?
  • ugo.santalucia
    I just found you and you're up to 11 now

You're going viral, better start contacting potential sponsors now

PS one of your followers lives in the next village to me, is that someone from here? Robert M...

No, he's not on here
  • ugo.santalucia
    Is this thread just a sneaky master plan to get ugo.santalucia more Strava followers?

It would appear that way... :lol:
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    For me it's a great way of benchmarking how and where I am in terms of training. And the realisation I'll never be as good as I once was!

It's also far too full of people that do turbo training.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    philbar72 wrote:
    For me it's a great way of benchmarking how and where I am in terms of training. And the realisation I'll never be as good as I once was!

Very true that.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    philbar72 wrote:

Very true that.

The obsession with virtual training baffles me. But I understand it. Can 3 hours on a turbo replicate real world riding ? I have never turboed, though I did a winter of spin which was fun way back when. It seems Zwift etal are hand in hand with other social medias such as instagram with pictures of people riding indoors. I realise with colder climates, it may be the ideal solution....