Wheelsucker on Zwift

13»

Comments

• i was just wondering if everyone did as i did or was i the only one doing it or whether zwift in fact keep smart and dumb trainers apart

You're doing it wrong for Zwift. If you increase your turbo resistance, your wheel speed will drop so Zwift will think your wattage has dropped (for your dumb setup it calculates wattage purely on wheel speed) so yes you will slow down. When you decrease your turbo resistance your wheel speed will increase and so will your calculated (guessed) wattage on Zwift.

If you want to simulate hills using a dumb trainer on Zwift use your GEARS to make it harder to pedal, not the resistance settings on your turbo. :)

Yes some of those fliers up the hills on Zwift will be on poorly set up equipment, either by accident or on purpose or they could have put their weight in a handful of kilos too light. Or they just could be really strong riders, of which there are plenty on the platform!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    sorry if i got this wrong

yeah i think i have a tacx blue motion, with mio cyclo sensors

what i meant to say whilst on the way round ie the volcano i have been adjusting my resistance from say 1 on the flat to 6 on my resistance lever to simulate a 6% incline as it levels out turning it back down to 1. this is the best i can do on my dumb trainer to match what i think a smart trainer does and i seem to be slowing down as most others do on the climbs etc , but i have noticed some others flying up and down the hills and i presumed they were just keeping there turbo resistance at the minimum at all times.

i was just wondering if everyone did as i did or was i the only one doing it or whether zwift in fact keep smart and dumb trainers apart

thanks once again

You are going off the assumption that many have when starting Zwift that the speed of your back wheel is exactly replicated in the game, it's not. What happens is that Zwift estimates your power output from the speed of your wheel then feeds that into the game which then determines your speed. Try it for yourself keep the resistance constant and pedal at a constant speed notice when you hit the hills on Zwift your speed in the game goes down, even if your back wheel is going at the same speed.

So in fact using your trainer you would actually have to shift into a harder gear on the hills, which is counter-intuitive I know.

In short - leave the resistance adjuster alone!
  • thanks for that , what i was doing was totally the opposite of what i should do.

tried what you said tonight and it worked a treat

thanks once again for your help
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    There must be such an amazing variety of equipment out there and i am surprised that zwift is able to make any kind of comparison at all. I do ride in group rides with the PAC guys where the sole objective is to stay together, get the benefits of drafting and not race. I think at the end of the day i can only realistically compare myself with myself. My rides seem to be pretty consistent with what i am able to do outside in terms of speed, cadence, power and heart rate. Referring to my previous comment, I went up the mountain yesterday without pedalling as cadence failed again. Must have looked so weird to my fellow athletes!

At the end of the day its only a game but a very good one and a life changer for me recovering from a total hip replacement
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    I think at the end of the day i can only realistically compare myself with myself.

And that is the ultimate goal of indoor training. :)