My recent Rutland Cycles experience

13»

Comments

• Tightened the front wheel?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    Tightened the front wheel?

Sorry, tightened the thru axle to 12nm.
  • courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    Glad it's pretty much sorted. I bought the same bike off them a few months ago and complained because the thru-axle had been rounded, probably by someone using the wrong size allen bolt to tighten it. They asked for a copy of the PDI sheet but had posted a replacement, free of charge, before I'd even replied!
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    benws1 wrote:
    Result today.

Store manager personally dealt with my bike. Was unhappy with the way last weekend went. Thanked me for going back and explaining everything how it happened.

He has put new rotors on that aren't warped and as an apology, let me have the shoes I ordered and cancelled for free. £160 shoes for free. Wow, wasn't expecting that.

Only thing of note now is the front wheel. When I got home and tightened it to 12nm, I noticed it didn't spin as free as it does when not tightened. It looks like it has some resistance. Ive been told that this is normal, will show up when spinning the wheel by hand and should get better as the bike is ridden/shouldnt impede when being ridden. I guess the bearings have to wear in?

Anyhow, much better treatment today. If only I had received the same last week. :)
    160 quid shoes or free?
    I reckon their mistakes are pretty forgiveable!

Sometimes a badly spinning wheel can be grease in the new bearings. I'd upgrade to ceramic bearings just to be on the safe side! :D
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    Let's hope there are three pages of praise to counter the 3 of slagging as the OP appears to have been appeased. For future reference, his price is £160 :-)
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    boblo wrote:
    Let's hope there are three pages of praise to counter the 3 of slagging as the OP appears to have been appeased. For future reference, his price is £160 :-)

I'm glad I stuck with it and finally spoke to someone who could help and sort everything out. Let's not forget that I was initially fobbed off.