My recent Rutland Cycles experience

benws1
benws1 Posts: 415
edited February 2017 in Road general
I recently purchased a brand new Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc from the above retailer's Peterborough store. My transaction hasn't gone smoothly. To help potential customers after their next purchase with the decision of where to buy from, I thought I'd document my experience in this thread. As we all know, it's hard to find a balanced review of retailers online due to the fact that review methods can be so easily skewed.

What follows is not an out and out bashing of said retailer, it is an accurate description of what has happened to me and the situation I am currently in. Sorry it is long-winded.

I visited the store just over a week ago with the intention of looking for a new road bike. I haven't bought a road specific bike since 2004 and due to the fact I've been clocking up miles on a hybrid and losing weight, thought I'd take the plunge and reward myself with something nice.

I initially looked at Bianchi's and soon realised that they were out of my price range. After perusing further though I noticed a Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc on offer at £999. I recalled the thread on here about how good they were for the money. So, assisted by the store's deputy manager, we decided on a size 60 and ordered it for collection on Saturday just gone. He said I would get a text notifying me when it was ready. Despite the bike being scheduled for building last Friday, my ready text didn't come through until the day I collected it.

Roll forward to the Saturday in question and I headed over to the shop a little nervous (as I haven't spent this much on a bike before), but full of excitement. Whilst in the shop, the salesman helped fit my pedals, did a quick look over of my position on the bike and I handed over the cash. The salesman then helped me take the bike wheels off, carry it out to my car and load it into the boot. We then headed back into the store as I wanted some new shoes to go with the bike. He tried a few sizes on me and decided I needed a size 13. The shoes were ordered (Specialized Expert), I handed over £160 (in addition to the £999 I had already spent) and was told they would be in store in a week or so.

I left feeling happy and couldn't quibble the service on that day. What follows is when it all went wrong.

After getting the bike home and giving it a good look over, I noticed that the rotors seemed quite bent and warped and were catching on the brake pads. As I have never owned a bike like this before, I did a bit of googling and found out that this could happen on used rotors (due to a crash or bash). Upon enquiring on here, I was informed that new bike rotors shouldn't be warped at all.

On Sunday morning I called the store and queried the rotors. In the meantime, I had also noticed that the bar tape on the bike wasn't finished properly and was hanging off underneath the handlebar. I also noticed that some of the internal cable routing gromits weren't pushed into the frame. They were along the cables. So, I called the store and asked them about bringing the bike back in for new rotors and for bits to be finished properly.

Someone (I don't know who) answered the phone and informed me that all new bike rotors were bent. He said the best thing to do is get a spanner, bend them back into place and see how I get on. When queried about replacing for new, the person told me this wouldn't happen as all they would do is bend them back themselves. He didn't seem bothered that other things weren't finished.

After the call, I went out to the garage, got a big adjustable spanner out and tried bending the rotors back into shape. After about half an hour, I had managed to stop the brake pad rub, but the rotors were still bent and warped. I decided I had to take the bike back to the shop.

I popped my fiancee and my daughter to the in-law's, went home, put the Polo seats down, took the bike wheels off, put it back in the car and did the 20 odd mile journey back to the shop.

When I got back to the shop I was sent straight round to a mechanic. He had a face like a smacked bum and asked me what was wrong with my bike. I told him about the rotors, the handlebar tape and the other bits and bobs. He simply shrugged his shoulders, told me that every rotor they receive from Shimano is bent and as long as it doesn't catch the pads, they aren't bothered. He also said that the other things were only minor bits that someone's missed (as if to say, what's the problem) and reluctantly put the bike back in the stand to fix them.

At this point I was getting a bit miffed so I told him that the rotors and the finishing were unacceptable. How could this bike go through PDI and not have these things picked up? I asked for new rotors and he said he wouldn't fit them. He did all of this whilst looking at me as if I was a piece of dirt stuck to his trainers.

As I questioned this further, the deputy manager popped his head around from behind the till and asked what was going on. The mechanic told him what had happened. The deputy manager then said they won't do anything with the rotors as they weren't catching the pads. I explained that I had bent them back a bit in the morning and he simply said well done (it later transpired that he thought I was a competent diy mechanic as I had tried to bend the rotors back myself, even though they are still warped). He re-iterated that they wouldn't swap the rotors and that was that. The mechanic told me the only way I can fix them is to ride the bike and put a heat process through them.

The mechanic finished off the PDI process on the bike, handed it back to me then went off to do something else. No sorry for having to fix someone else's work, and definitely no more discussion about my rotors. It was if the whole place went into lockdown with me and as I took my bike apart and carried it back to the car, nobody acknowledged my presence. I went back to the till to put in my car reg (to stop me getting a parking fine), said thankyou and bye to a lad on the till, and he just ignored me. I left the shop and drove home with my still bent rotors not feeling very happy.

As anyone new to something will know, it's hard to kick up a fuss about something you don't have experience with. I checked back on here and the opinion was that the bike shop were talking rubbish, and I needed to take this up with customer services.

Yesterday, I plucked up the courage to ring customer services and complain about my experience. I told the concerned-sounding lady on the phone about what had happened. She said in her opinion her staff were rude and a new bike should be absolutely perfect. She said she would contact the store and chase my complaint up asap.

Within an hour, the store deputy manager called me back (can't complain about their response time). He said he was deeply concerned about my experience, didn't realise I had been treated so badly, would have stepped in at the time if he knew (well, he was only around the corner) and said give the bike a ride and see how if the rotors improve. He said he had already logged my experience as one to review because their PDI process wasn't great and the bike shouldn't have been released to me. I don't know why he didn't tell me this on Sunday.

Whilst on the phone, I told him I wished to cancel my shoe order. He said he had ordered them that morning and really didn't want me to cancel. He told me he would give me a discount and give me some free footbeds. I said I would consider his offer and make my decision when the shoes arrive. We finished the conversation with him apologizing again, saying just try the bike, and him telling me he will take my concerns up with the manager when he returns tomorrow (Wednesday). He then followed up with an email that I will paste in below.

So, at this moment in time, I'm still the owner of a brand new bike with bent rotors (which some on here say won't be fixed by riding the bike, and I trust them) and I don't know whether or not I'll cancel my shoe order or ever shop at Rutland cycles again.

I understand that there are plenty of people who have had a good experience with Rutland Cycles. However, my one and only experience with them so far has been one of rude, unhelpful staff and a bike that shouldn't have passed the PDI.

Yes, the deputy manager has shown concern, but I don't know why he didn't take it up with me on Sunday? Also, why not simply swap the rotors for new? Anyone think customer services giving him a shove has got him moving?

Email from the deputy manager:

Hi Ben ,

i just wanted to follow up on your contact with our customer services team and subsequent phone conversation with myself regarding you dissatisfaction with our after sales service and support.

Can i first apologise personally most sincerely for the distress the in store experience caused you and had i been made aware of the previous events i would certainly intervened on the day to avoid this .

I have taken on board all of your valid concerns and as discussed will be happy for you to bring the bike back at any stage for us to take another in depth look at the rotor warping issues and if at all necessary correct them at no cost to you .

I also appreciate you not cancelling your shoe order and giving us the opportunity to continue to be your preferred bike shop and look forward to seeing you again in store for collection and as discussed the chance to provide you with a free set of foot beds using our archometer to ensure the most suitable fit .

If you have any further thoughts or questions in the meantime please feel free to contact me personally .

Kind regards,

Thanks for reading. I hope that everyone else who shops there has a better experience than I did. :)

Comments

• It does seem strange that some stores will be like this. It's as if they don't realise that if they if they do all they can to please a customer, they can have a customer for life. As it is, they've probably had a customer for a day. Even more remarkable when the LBS can't compete on price with the internet giants, so customer service is really their only USP.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    TLDR - can anyone summaries for me?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Chris Bass wrote:

The OP drives a VW Polo and has a fiancee and a DAUGHTER!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • benws1
    Chris Bass wrote:

And I bought a brand new bike that has issues and when querying these issues, the customer service wasn't very good.

:lol:

People can mock all they like. However, I think it's useful info for people when choosing a retailer.
  • geode
    geode Posts: 25
    Just think, if you'd looked at the bike before you left the shop with it all this could have been avoided.
  • Chris Bass wrote:

And in-laws, how does that work?
  • chris_bass
    Chris Bass wrote:

were there any pics of the daughter (age dependant) or the fiancee (age dependant at the other end of the scale)
  • benws1
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

were there any pics of the daughter (age dependant) or the fiancee (age dependant at the other end of the scale)

Why don't you glance at the OP to find out?

My daughter is two. Are you on a list?
  • benws1
    geode wrote:
    Just think, if you'd looked at the bike before you left the shop with it all this could have been avoided.

Would it? So if I noticed the warped rotors at the time of buying, they would have swapped them?

Have you even read the OP? They won't swap them for new.

You would think that people that comment would at least read the post.

Oh well. :)
  • I know it's too late now, but a once over and a quick ride around the car park would have caught those issues at the outset.

Rotors shouldn't be bent from new, however there could be some disc rub from the pads that will require some fine tuning.
    You shouldn't have tried to straighten them yourself, you should have insisted they did it.

The bar tape and grommets, whilst irritating are not the end of the world, however added onto the rotor issue I appreciate how it has impacted your buyer experience.

I'd have said you can shove the shoes order until you have satisfactorily resolved the issues with my existing order.

You could have cut that post down by at least 75% and still retained all the facts and avoided the gentle ribbing you have received on here.
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    Feel for you. You're all excited about your purchase and sometimes overlook the fault(s) that's glaring. You tried to fix it and your perception is one of poor treatment - that's key.
    Marketing surveys predict that a really good customer service will be told about to seven others. Really bad service will reach 28.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    benws1 wrote:
    geode wrote:

Would it? So if I noticed the warped rotors at the time of buying, they would have swapped them?

Yup that they wouldn't have changed them but together with the other bits I would have just said "no thanks mate, it's not in correct condition, I'll leave it thanks.

Caveat emptor and all that.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • benws1
    benws1 wrote:
    geode wrote:

Yup that they wouldn't have changed them but together with the other bits I would have just said "no thanks mate, it's not in correct condition, I'll leave it thanks.

Caveat emptor and all that.

To be honest, it didn't even register with me that I would need to check the discs. I have never had a disc bike before, so went into it blind.

Yes, its my fault for not examining the thing properly before I left. However, when I got it home and had some time with it I did find the issues and told them as soon as I could.

Irrespective of my actions, it's very poor form to let a bike through the PDI process like this in the first place. Then to be treated poorly when you do take it straight back isn't on.

Ive learned my lessons with this and thought it useful to share. Thats why the post is long as i wanted to give the full picture.

Thanks to everyone who has posted useful info. The rest of you, I hope that one day something catches you out. See how clever you are then. :)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Should rotors be warped from new ? I wouldn't have thought so.

Anyway - its another disc brake hassle. I don't know why people use them.
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    edited February 2017
    Well! --- I don't have a fiancée, daughter or Vw Polo but I've just had my first experience of Rutland Cycles and it wasn't great either but for now it's more about the delivery time than anything else --- yet.
    After jumping through many hoops to purchase the bike using the interest free credit ( that's a ridiculous session with v12 finance that took 2 weeks to sort out) I finally purchased the bike online on the 3rd of Feb. As I live in northern Ireland I could not avail of the free delivery and the only option available to me on the screen was the Premier delivery service at £80 so I swallowed hard and clicked on that thinking well it should get here in good time at least. The website said 2 to 5 working days.
    On Tue the 7th I got an email from Rutland to say it had been dispatched with a link to trace the progress. On Friday 10th I started to worry so clicked on the link which didn't work but showed it was Panther Group who were the courier so I rang them.
    They said they had passed my bike on to a third party -- when I asked who, they refused to tell me who it was ?????? But my bike was handed over to them on the 8th ( probably the day it landed at Belfast )
    I rang Rutland on Monday as the bike still hadn't arrived nor was there the promised phone call from the mystery courier to arrange delivery. Rutland said, and get this, I should give 5 working days from the time it was handed over to the third party ( mystery ) courier ie the 8th not to get delivery but to get a phone call about the delivery then the actual delivery will be sometime after that. I said but I'm not supposed to know when it was handed over to the mystery courier and furthermore on your website it says allow 2 to 5 working days from point of sale aaand on your website ( blood starting to boil ) it states that for £80 I can have the bike delivered to Andora in 3 days. She says but thats a different courier. I says -- 'well then maybe you should use them instead ' Half an hour after that call I get a text from Montgomery transport saying they will deliver the bike on Tue about dinner time and that I had to arrange someone to sign for it. There were no options to ' arrange ' a time, it's be there or else. I was at work and wife at hospital appointment so I jump through another few hoops to get a friend to travel to my house and receive the thing.
    Yet to get a look over the bike. V12 that's for another post and is an even more ridiculous story.
  • benws1
    edited February 2017
    Fenix wrote:
    Should rotors be warped from new ? I wouldn't have thought so.

Anyway - its another disc brake hassle. I don't know why people use them.

According to Rutland, they are all warped when new. :) You would think someone would take Shimano to task about it.

Just going through the process of cancelling the shoe order with the store manager. No mention of my experience at the weekend. Funny that. Going to take my business elsewhere from now on.
  • benws1
    Cowsham wrote:
    Well! --- I don't have a fiancée, daughter or Vw Polo but I've just had my first experience of Rutland Cycles and it wasn't great either but for now it's more about the delivery time than anything else --- yet.
    After jumping through many hoops to purchase the bike using the interest free credit ( that's a ridiculous session with v12 finance that took 2 weeks to sort out) I finally purchased the bike online on the 3rd of Feb. As I live in northern Ireland I could not avail of the free delivery and the only option available to me on the screen was the Premier delivery service at £80 so I swallowed hard and clicked on that thinking well it should get here in good time at least. The website said 2 to 5 working days.
    On Tue the 7th I got an email from Rutland to say it had been dispatched with a link to trace the progress. On Friday 10th I started to worry so clicked on the link which didn't work but showed it was Panther Group who were the courier so I rang them.
    They said they had passed my bike on to a third party -- when I asked who, they refused to tell me who it was ?????? But my bike was handed over to them on the 8th ( probably the day it landed at Belfast )
    I rang Rutland on Monday as the bike still hadn't arrived nor was there the promised phone call from the mystery courier to arrange delivery. Rutland said, and get this, I should give the delivery 5 working days from the time it was handed over to the third party ( mystery ) courier ie the 8th not to get delivery but to get a phone call about the delivery then the actual delivery will be sometime after that. I said but I'm not supposed to know when it was handed over to the mystery courier and furthermore on your website it says allow 2 to 5 working days from point of sale aaand on your website ( blood starting to boil ) it states that for £80 I can have the bike delivered to Andora in 3 days. Half an hour after that call I get a text from Montgomery transport saying they will deliver the bike on Tue about dinner time and that I had to arrange someone to sign for it. There were no options to ' arrange ' a time, it's be there or else. I was at work and wife at hospital appointment so I jump through another few hoops to get a friend to travel to my house and receive the thing.
    Yet to get a look over the bike. V12 that's for another post and is an even more ridiculous story.

I feel for you. Make sure you look at the bike properly when you get your hands on it. ;)

No doubt someone will be along soon to tell you that you should have investigated the finance service before taking it out, caveat emptor, or that your post is too long to read, etc., etc. ;)

Interestingly, when looking over some reviews of Rutland Cycles after my experience, I noticed that they have a bit of form for delivery issues. Upon deeper investigation, it looks like others have had terrible post sales experiences too. Makes you wonder about how much they really do care when they have your money.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    To be fair - I have bought a few bits of kit from Rutland for good prices with no problems at all. Obv not bought any discs from them. Warped or not.
  • benws1
    Fenix wrote:
    To be fair - I have bought a few bits of kit from Rutland for good prices with no problems at all. Obv not bought any discs from them. Warped or not.

I'm sure there are many people who are happy with the shop. Like any place, they seem to get good reviews and bad. I guess it all boils down to who you see on the day and who works on your bike. Every organisation has its good and bad staff.

I wanted to give the full picture, that's why my original post was too long. I didn't want to just write a short moan without mentioning their response too.

I guess I'm unlucky. :)
  • cowsham
    edited December 2017
    I reserve judgement on Rutland until my rapid 1 lands
  • Dealt once with them, bought 2015 S-works for £160.

Sad to hear you had bad experience with the shop. All are bound to fail at some point.
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    Every set of rotors I've ever bought has been warped to a greater or lesser extent. Also the machining quality of where they
    mount on the the hub if they are 6 bolt pattern can be a tad uneven, so I've always needed my rotors to be trued in over 10 years and nearly as many mountain bikes.

However with Shimano centerlock systems this should be a non-existent to extremely minor concern, as their machining and design should eliminate this, other than with mishandling the bike or rotors.

One of my friends who is a mostly MTB mechanic is an absolute ace at rotor truing, he has the eye and experience to get the rotor dead true. Weirdly he's not so good at wheel truing and doesn't really have the patience for it. So you don't need to bin any rotors and start again, but you do need a good mechanic, and possibly a dirty mostly mountain bike mechanic might be a better bet than a mostly road bike mechanic.

What is total b.s. is that you can ride a rotor true by putting heat through it and riding on it! This alone makes me hate these people, trotting out complete lies to make their lives easier, truly despicable and pathetic.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    After getting the bike home and giving it a good look over, I noticed that the rotors seemed quite bent and warped and were catching on the brake pads.

Both rotors were bent ? That's really unlikely.

Post a close up video of the rotors spinning. We'll try to tell you if they're bent. or remove them from the wheels and lay them on a flat surface. If they are both bent in the same way then it could be a production error i suppose.

I reckon the calipers were misaligned and just needed re-adjusting, or the rotor bolts were abit loose,or the brake pads wern't installed correctly.
  • Brake rub should've been picked up before the bike was picked up - no excuses. Same with shoddy bar tape etc...although they are minor quibbles you expect a bit more when you're paying a lot of money for a new product.

People have off days but I'd be annoyed too with all the hassle
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,445
    edited February 2017
    I'm no expert here, but I would be tempted to just lean on the Sale of Goods Act which gives you rights to a refund, repair or replacement if something you buy has or develops a fault when speaking to that Assistant Manager.

The Sale of Goods Act requires all goods to be:

as described
    of satisfactory quality and
    fit for purpose
    If they're not, the retailer is in breach of contract, giving rise to a claim under the Sale of Goods Act

I would say you probably have grounds for complaint on all of the above.

Tell them you''re not happy, that you'll take it back on whatever day, leave it with them for (however long you think is appropriate) and that you expect it all to be sorted (make a list of the things that contravene the above SOG act) and that if this is not the case by the agreed date, you want your money back or a suitable replacement.

Your contract is with the shop - not Shimano. The rotors should not be warped - does it show warped ones in the sales literature/on line? is it described as being supplied with warped rotors? Regardless of how many they get in like this, could warped rotors, misplaced gromits and poorly fitted bar tape be described as "satisfactory quality"?

Also, do not underestimate the power of a well placed and worded tweet or an e-mail to their CEO
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • chris_bass
    benws1 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

because you wrote over 1,800 words and i'm not that interested.

I said age dependant, fiancee then?
  • cowsham
    Got a look over the bike and all is well. Everything I expected it to be -- smooth -- quiet -- fast -- comfortable and light 10.4 kg I make it. In comparison my sons old Claude Butler San Remo is about 12.5 kg. The wheels are giant ( I think the 2017 version wheels are shimano ) the brakes and rotors are Tektro which there seems to be a lot of bad press about but on trying them out today they seem really good and well setup ( if they needed / were setup.) No rubbing and very good 'modulation ' ( which is the wrong word for tractability ) with amazing power.
  • benws1
    Chris Bass wrote:
    benws1 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

because you wrote over 1,800 words and i'm not that interested.

I said age dependant, fiancee then?

If you aren't interested, why post nonsense on this thread. I think you are interested as you keep posting on here.

Do you work for Rutland Cycles?
  • benws1
    laurentian wrote:
    I'm no expert here, but I would be tempted to just lean on the Sale of Goods Act which gives you rights to a refund, repair or replacement if something you buy has or develops a fault when speaking to that Assistant Manager.

The Sale of Goods Act requires all goods to be:

as described
    of satisfactory quality and
    fit for purpose
    If they're not, the retailer is in breach of contract, giving rise to a claim under the Sale of Goods Act

I would say you probably have grounds for complaint on all of the above.

Tell them you''re not happy, that you'll take it back on whatever day, leave it with them for (however long you think is appropriate) and that you expect it all to be sorted (make a list of the things that contravene the above SOG act) and that if this is not the case by the agreed date, you want your money back or a suitable replacement.

Your contract is with the shop - not Shimano. The rotors should not be warped - does it show warped ones in the sales literature/on line? is it described as being supplied with warped rotors? Regardless of how many they get in like this, could warped rotors, misplaced gromits and poorly fitted bar tape be described as "satisfactory quality"?

Also, do not underestimate the power of a well placed and worded tweet or an e-mail to their CEO

Thanks.

The assistant manager has already said I can take the bike back and they will look at the rotors again. I have considered soga (which is now the consumer rights act). However, that is a last resort thing. I think I need to give them one chance to rectify.

I'm going to attempt to take the bike back this weekend, leave it with them and ask them to sort. If they dont, i'll ask for a refund. If only I had known what I know now on Sunday. :)

Funnily enough, I spoke to the actual store manager today when cancelling my shoe order. He didn't say a word to me about what has happened. Maybe he doesn't know? Hard to believe that.

Oh well, as much as I don't want to go back, I need to. Pain in the ass as I was all gearee up for some rides on the bike this weekend.
  • benws1
    trailflow wrote:
    After getting the bike home and giving it a good look over, I noticed that the rotors seemed quite bent and warped and were catching on the brake pads.

Both rotors were bent ? That's really unlikely.

Post a close up video of the rotors spinning. We'll try to tell you if they're bent. or remove them from the wheels and lay them on a flat surface. If they are both bent in the same way then it could be a production error i suppose.

I reckon the calipers were misaligned and just needed re-adjusting, or the rotor bolts were abit loose,or the brake pads wern't installed correctly.

Both have wobble. Front is worst of the two, but both were catching the pads. The rear is also setup so it only just clears the actual caliper edge.

I'll try to get a video. Not possible at the moment as I'm not at home.