My recent Rutland Cycles experience

Comments

• benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    ZMC888 wrote:
    Every set of rotors I've ever bought has been warped to a greater or lesser extent. Also the machining quality of where they
    mount on the the hub if they are 6 bolt pattern can be a tad uneven, so I've always needed my rotors to be trued in over 10 years and nearly as many mountain bikes.

However with Shimano centerlock systems this should be a non-existent to extremely minor concern, as their machining and design should eliminate this, other than with mishandling the bike or rotors.

One of my friends who is a mostly MTB mechanic is an absolute ace at rotor truing, he has the eye and experience to get the rotor dead true. Weirdly he's not so good at wheel truing and doesn't really have the patience for it. So you don't need to bin any rotors and start again, but you do need a good mechanic, and possibly a dirty mostly mountain bike mechanic might be a better bet than a mostly road bike mechanic.

What is total b.s. is that you can ride a rotor true by putting heat through it and riding on it! This alone makes me hate these people, trotting out complete lies to make their lives easier, truly despicable and pathetic.

Thanks.

My issue stems from the fact that I knew nothing about disc brake systems on bikes. When I was told that warped rotors are normal, what could I say?

Thanks to some on here I now know a lot more and am in a better position to get this sorted. I did think the heat cycle thing was bs, but couldn't confirm it.

What has peed me off though is the general rude attitude I received on Sunday. I have left a complaint which has been acknowledged. I just need someone who knows what they are doing fixing my rotors now. :)
  • benws1
    Brake rub should've been picked up before the bike was picked up - no excuses. Same with shoddy bar tape etc...although they are minor quibbles you expect a bit more when you're paying a lot of money for a new product.

People have off days but I'd be annoyed too with all the hassle

Indeed. Its a collection of niggles with the rotors being the highlight. However, it is supposed to be a brand new and perfect product.
  • benws1
    Cowsham wrote:
    Got a look over the bike and all is well. Everything I expected it to be -- smooth -- quiet -- fast -- comfortable and light 10.4 kg I make it. In comparison my sons old Claude Butler San Remo is about 12.5 kg. The wheels are giant ( I think the 2017 version wheels are shimano ) the brakes and rotors are Tektro which there seems to be a lot of bad press about but on trying them out today they seem really good and well setup ( if they needed / were setup.) No rubbing and very good 'modulation ' ( which is the wrong word for tractability ) with amazing power.

I'm pleased yours is ok. Shame they can't send everything out as it should be.
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    benws1 wrote:
    ZMC888 wrote:
    Every set of rotors I've ever bought has been warped to a greater or lesser extent. Also the machining quality of where they
    mount on the the hub if they are 6 bolt pattern can be a tad uneven, so I've always needed my rotors to be trued in over 10 years and nearly as many mountain bikes.

However with Shimano centerlock systems this should be a non-existent to extremely minor concern, as their machining and design should eliminate this, other than with mishandling the bike or rotors.

One of my friends who is a mostly MTB mechanic is an absolute ace at rotor truing, he has the eye and experience to get the rotor dead true. Weirdly he's not so good at wheel truing and doesn't really have the patience for it. So you don't need to bin any rotors and start again, but you do need a good mechanic, and possibly a dirty mostly mountain bike mechanic might be a better bet than a mostly road bike mechanic.

What is total b.s. is that you can ride a rotor true by putting heat through it and riding on it! This alone makes me hate these people, trotting out complete lies to make their lives easier, truly despicable and pathetic.

Thanks.

My issue stems from the fact that I knew nothing about disc brake systems on bikes. When I was told that warped rotors are normal, what could I say?

Thanks to some on here I now know a lot more and am in a better position to get this sorted. I did think the heat cycle thing was bs, but couldn't confirm it.

What has peed me off though is the general rude attitude I received on Sunday. I have left a complaint which has been acknowledged. I just need someone who knows what they are doing fixing my rotors now. :)

My suspicion is that they didn't have enough time to do things properly and were busy, plus weekend staff problems maybe.

Do not accept the bike back until the rotors are totally true and all the finishing is properly done.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    benws1 wrote:
    If you aren't interested, why post nonsense on this thread. I think you are interested as you keep posting on here.

Do you work for Rutland Cycles?

I didn't say i wasn't interested, just that I wasn't interested enough to read your essay that's all.

No, I don't, if i did i'd probably be interested enough to read it!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • benws1
    Chris Bass wrote:
    benws1 wrote:
    If you aren't interested, why post nonsense on this thread. I think you are interested as you keep posting on here.

Do you work for Rutland Cycles?

I didn't say i wasn't interested, just that I wasn't interested enough to read your essay that's all.

No, I don't, if i did i'd probably be interested enough to read it!

Why post on here then?

You haven't offered anything worthy of debate. Just pointless comments thinking that it makes you some sort of clever person.

Anyhow, I had better stop now as I'm feeding you, aren't I. :)
  • benws1
    ZMC888 wrote:

My suspicion is that they didn't have enough time to do things properly and were busy, plus weekend staff problems maybe.

Do not accept the bike back until the rotors are totally true and all the finishing is properly done.

I'm wondering that too. But why couldn't they just be honest with me and not treat me like a fool?

As much as it pains me (based on their track record I don't want them touching my bike again), I am going to have to take it back this weekend. I want to be out riding the thing but don't want to risk anything until it is fixed properly.

When I'm there, I'm going to ask for something back off them. I will have had to make extra journeys to the store to get these issues fixed and I am not happy with their attitude.

Thanks.
  • benws1
    It's going back on Sunday. Manager will be there and we'll have a chat. Said he will make sure that when I leave, everything will be spot on.

Let's hope he can finally sort this issue out for me. :)
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Chris Bass wrote:
    benws1 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    TLDR - can anyone summaries for me?

The OP drives a VW Polo and has a fiancee and a DAUGHTER!

were there any pics of the daughter (age dependant) or the fiancee (age dependant at the other end of the scale)

Why don't you glance at the OP to find out?

My daughter is two. Are you on a list?

because you wrote over 1,800 words and i'm not that interested.

I said age dependant, fiancee then?

Or even a sister...
  • benws1
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    benws1 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    TLDR - can anyone summaries for me?

The OP drives a VW Polo and has a fiancee and a DAUGHTER!

were there any pics of the daughter (age dependant) or the fiancee (age dependant at the other end of the scale)

Why don't you glance at the OP to find out?

My daughter is two. Are you on a list?

I said age dependant, fiancee then?

Or even a sister...

The closest thing I have to that is a homosexual brother. Will that do?
  • chris_bass
    benws1 wrote:
    Why post on here then?

You haven't offered anything worthy of debate. Just pointless comments thinking that it makes you some sort of clever person.

Like i said, it isn't that i am not interested, just that you waffled on too long, my original post was just asking for someone to give me the jist so that i can weigh up whether rutland cycles are worth bothering with in the future. Not trying to seem clever or trolling. I will admit i got sidetracked responding to others but then that just keeps this thread near the top so more people will see it. win win i guess!
  • benws1
    Chris Bass wrote:
    benws1 wrote:
    Why post on here then?

Like i said, it isn't that i am not interested, just that you waffled on too long, my original post was just asking for someone to give me the jist so that i can weigh up whether rutland cycles are worth bothering with in the future. Not trying to seem clever or trolling. I will admit i got sidetracked responding to others but then that just keeps this thread near the top so more people will see it. win win i guess!

Fine. I apologise for my comments. I would have thought that even though it's long (and I even said sorry for that in the beginning), reading it yourself would give you the best basis to pass on your opinion.

Sorry the post is a waffle. As I said previously, I wanted to post everything that happened.

Let's see what happens on Sunday. Hopefully they'll sort it for me. It has it's first free service due in 6 - 8 weeks time. After that, I doubt I will ever use them again. We'll see. :)
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    You really don't need to apologise, there have been some very strange comments on this thread.
  • benws1
    Flasher wrote:
    You really don't need to apologise, there have been some very strange comments on this thread.

T'is the internet. It's the strangest place I know of. :)
  • Personally, I much prefer longer posts that cover the minutae of the process. Cuts out 99% of the follow-up posts asking for more detail.

Précis for Chris Bass: OP bought a bike from a retailer, bike appears to have elementary faults that should not be present on a brand new bicycle from a retailer, especially picked up in store (so they can't blame the delivery). Since taking possession of the bike, he appears subsequently to have been treated in a manner less than edifying for the retailer. He has simply kept us all updated how they are performing in rectifying his issues.

@benws1 I bought my bike mail order from Ireland (and it was delivered by ParcelForce - so not with kid gloves) - other than having to fit the pedals & handlebars - it had none of the warped discs you apparently have...
  • chris_bass
    thank you!! that is about the limit of my attention span!
  • benws1
    Personally, I much prefer longer posts that cover the minutae of the process. Cuts out 99% of the follow-up posts asking for more detail.

Précis for Chris Bass: OP bought a bike from a retailer, bike appears to have elementary faults that should not be present on a brand new bicycle from a retailer, especially picked up in store (so they can't blame the delivery). Since taking possession of the bike, he appears subsequently to have been treated in a manner less than edifying for the retailer. He has simply kept us all updated how they are performing in rectifying his issues.

@benws1 I bought my bike mail order from Ireland (and it was delivered by ParcelForce - so not with kid gloves) - other than having to fit the pedals & handlebars - it had none of the warped discs you apparently have...

Thanks.

Glad you got your bike ok.

As you say, I'm including the detail and keeping this thread updated, that's why it is long. I have seen far too many threads where someone has slated a company, but the detail is missing and any follow up action isn't included. It's only fair to the retailer that I include the details of what is happening on here. I'm being honest and telling it how it is.

As it stands, Rutland have pretty much lost me as a customer. It's very hard for me to go back to the store for the remedial work they should have done in the first place, let alone to buy anything else. They have the money for my bike, but have lost the extra £160 I was spending on some shoes. It's also worth noting here that I spent nearly £200 on some clothing from them in early December. I am a spender, not just someone who hangs around in the store wasting people's time.

The manager can help me on Sunday by ensuring that my bike is returned to me in the condition it should have originally been handed over in. In terms of anything else he wishes to do as a token gesture for the hassle I've had, I'll leave that up to him. He can also explain to me how they missed my issues during the PDI process. Everything that does happen will be documented on here.

What can't be fixed is the ill feeling I have based on the experience I had on Sunday and the extra journeys I am now having to make to get these issues resolved. I sincerely hope that they use my experience as a training refresher so nobody else has to go through this nonsense. Ironically, learning from my experience helps them as they will have happy customers all of the time. :)
  • benws1
    Chris Bass wrote:

Do you think they are worth bothering with in the future?
  • I'd be tempted to reject it regardless - but I'm a curmudgeonly bastard :mrgreen:
  • benws1
    I'd be tempted to reject it regardless - but I'm a curmudgeonly bastard :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:

I've insured it and bought accessories now though.

Let's hope that when I finally ride it, I don't find anything else. 8)
  • chris_bass
    benws1 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

might think twice about getting a bike from there but if they have cheap clothing or components they'll get my money
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I didn't say i wasn't interested

Eh?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    TheFD wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

Eh?

That's not actually a contradiction!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • benws1
    Chris Bass wrote:
    benws1 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

might think twice about getting a bike from there but if they have cheap clothing or components they'll get my money

Best way to approach it. Anything they can't interfere with and is priced well, why not. Anything that requires them to build or touch it, avoid.
  • chris_bass
    TheFD wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

Eh?

What is wrong with that?
  • benws1 wrote:

Best way to approach it. Anything they can't interfere with and is priced well, why not. Anything that requires them to build or touch it, avoid.

"Hi, I would like to return these bib shorts as they have a hole in them"

"no they're meant to be like that, you need to wash them a few times first"

"Hi i've washed them and the hole is still there...can I have a refund"

"no you've used them now"
  • benws1
    benjamess wrote:
    benws1 wrote:

"Hi, I would like to return these bib shorts as they have a hole in them"

"no they're meant to be like that, you need to wash them a few times first"

"Hi i've washed them and the hole is still there...can I have a refund"

"no you've used them now"

:lol:

"Hi, I'd like new rotors as the ones on my supposedly new bike are bent."

"They all get shipped from Shimano like that."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Can you at least fix them?"

"No. Your mistake mate is in not riding the bike. Ride the bike, put some heat into them and they will fix themselves."

"Really?"

"Yes."

One week later.

"Hi, I rode the bike and the rotors are still bent. Can you fix them?"

"No. How do we know you didn't damage them when riding?"

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • benws1 wrote:

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

That didnt actually happen did it.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • benws1
    benws1 wrote:

That didnt actually happen did it.

Ooohh, sorry.

That bit didn't (it was posted as a bit of humour following someone else's joke post). The first bit did though.
  • benws1
    Result today.

Store manager personally dealt with my bike. Was unhappy with the way last weekend went. Thanked me for going back and explaining everything how it happened.

He has put new rotors on that aren't warped and as an apology, let me have the shoes I ordered and cancelled for free. £160 shoes for free. Wow, wasn't expecting that.

Only thing of note now is the front wheel. When I got home and tightened it to 12nm, I noticed it didn't spin as free as it does when not tightened. It looks like it has some resistance. Ive been told that this is normal, will show up when spinning the wheel by hand and should get better as the bike is ridden/shouldnt impede when being ridden. I guess the bearings have to wear in?

Anyhow, much better treatment today. If only I had received the same last week. :)