Six Nations 2017

Comments

• Back to the Welsh roof thing, i saw the Irish aren't for it neither. So far no 6N visiting team have gone for it i think. The thinking is if Wales want it so bad don't let them have it. Nothing wrong with that. I doubt any 6N match will see it closed unless the weather is truly bad. Other good reasons but Welsh advantage due to the Welsh noise i doubt it exists. I think i heard Paul O'Connell say he never noticed it when he was playing, only when there on BBC punditry duties.

BTW what's your updated views on the final table after the first 2 weekends?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    crispybug2 wrote:
    1st half between Scotland and France has been cracking so far, I get the feeling that if Scotland can stay in touch for the first twenty minutes of the second half then I think that this huge French team will tire badly!
    Ifs, buts, and maybes.
    That ref has to be questioned for rushing the kick though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Back to the Welsh roof thing, i saw the Irish aren't for it neither. So far no 6N visiting team have gone for it i think. The thinking is if Wales want it so bad don't let them have it. Nothing wrong with that. I doubt any 6N match will see it closed unless the weather is truly bad. Other good reasons but Welsh advantage due to the Welsh noise i doubt it exists. I think i heard Paul O'Connell say he never noticed it when he was playing, only when there on BBC punditry duties.

BTW what's your updated views on the final table after the first 2 weekends?

I agree re the roof, I've watched a few games at the Principality, roof open and closed, I very much doubt there is any Welsh advantage. If anything it neutralises playing conditions and may improve the game if there is heavy rain, snow etc.
    Its not as if Welsh players are strangers to the cold and wet!

Any visitors that want a fast running game would want the roof closed. I'm sure the SH teams would say 'yeah whatever'.

France were the better team and were unlucky to have that try disallowed.
    England the only unbeaten team after 2 games, I still think they'll go all the way.

Damn it :(
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    PBlakeney wrote:
    crispybug2 wrote:
    1st half between Scotland and France has been cracking so far, I get the feeling that if Scotland can stay in touch for the first twenty minutes of the second half then I think that this huge French team will tire badly!
    Ifs, buts, and maybes.
    That ref has to be questioned for rushing the kick though.

That was only 2 points.

Good call on the finger tip (near) try, that would have been possibly 7. :D:D:D

Good game though, despite the result.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    mac9091 wrote:
    That was only 2 points.

Good call on the finger tip (near) try, that would have been possibly 7. :D:D:D

Good game though, despite the result.
    Russel did fluff his next kick though which led to... A good game as you say, and the final result was rarely in doubt but that was as strange a conversion as you will ever see.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • What a weekend of games!
    Glad for the win V Wales, Wales were looking good and was a real test match.

Don't think the roof should be allowed to close for a rugby game. Its an outdoor sport, but also you have to play to the conditions, that's part of the skill of playing.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,386
    Well, I was at the game at the Principality stadium for the second time. I've been to many sporting events (Rugby, Cricket, Football, Motor Racing, Cycling) but I can honestly say, in all I've witnessed, there is nothing, nothing like Cardiff for England v Wales in the rugby.

As far as the roof goes, its a good thing to have but I'm not sure it should be deployed for Rugby - a winter sport played outdoors.

I thought both teams played very well indeed - I'd go as far as to sat that Wales probably edged it performance wise but I was delighted with the result . . . but England can't keep doing that.

I wouldn't be looking to drop Hartley just yet. I believe he is an excellent captain but have to say that George is a better player (I'd go as far as to say he'll be in the Lions shake up). I'd like to see T'eo start and for us to do more with Daly than stick him on the wing.

Scotland France was a cracking game - Strauss had a storming performance and the lad who came on for Laidlaw had a good afternoon. In the end France had too much for Scotland but, as an Englishman, I've seen enough to know that Scotland could do us at Twickenham if we don't sharpen up before that last 20 minutes.

As I was on the lash in a Cardiff boozer at the time, I'll watch Italy Ireland tonight.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    I don't understand the thinking of replacing a player 5 minutes after half time, even more odd to do it with your captain.

On another note I was seriously impressed with Mercer for the England U20 side, I can see him getting a full cap by the end of the season.
  • laurentian
    Pross wrote:
    I don't understand the thinking of replacing a player 5 minutes after half time, even more odd to do it with your captain.

It does seem very early to be replacing your captain but George is a better, more dynamic player. I think Hartley could be lucky to be England captain by the next world cup but he is the best choice at the moment. Haven't seen Mercer - what position??
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • laurentian wrote:
    Haven't seen Mercer - what position??

Number 8 - looks a good prospect. Strong but fast. I've only seen him on the highlights but he was man of the match apparently
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • And now the competition downs tools for the first of two two-week breaks...! Terrible format IMO.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    laurentian wrote:

As I was on the lash in a Cardiff boozer at the time, I'll watch Italy Ireland tonight.

You did well to be able to watch the match in the same week, I've known people who have gone drinking in Cardiff and have not been seen for weeks
  • laurentian wrote:
    Pross wrote:

It does seem very early to be replacing your captain but George is a better, more dynamic player. I think Hartley could be lucky to be England captain by the next world cup but he is the best choice at the moment. Haven't seen Mercer - what position??

Perhaps Hartley was showing signs of getting to the end of his fuse. Pure speculation on my part, I saw no signs, but he is a liability.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    laurentian wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Yep, he gets replaced as standard within 60 minutes. Pre-planned substitutions are a bizarre concept anyway, Faletau coming on for Moriarty who at the time was the best player on the pitch was another example.

As above, Mercer's the no. 8 and has been thrown into the 1st XV at Bath due to Faletau's injury. He was a different class to every other player on the field in the U20's game. Him and Itoje in England's back row for years to come is a scary prospect!
  • crispybug2
    Jonathon Joseph dropped from England's match day squad.

Expect to see Te'o and Daly centre partnership with Farrell moving to fly half

Says something for England's strength in depth that they feel they can omit the almost certain Lions outside centre to try out a new centre partnership!
  • Weekend predictions?

France, England, Scotland.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    France, England and Wales.
  • Wales but only by a couple of points, I think it will be tight

France - by 10 points

England - comfortably
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • laurentian
    Te'o and Daly pairing in the centre is something I've been waiting to see . . .

Wales by 12
    Ireland by 10
    England by 30+
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • crispybug2
    Ireland by 12
    Scotland by 5
    England by 45
  • crispybug2
    Scotland 29 Wales 13

Totally dominant performance from the Scots in the second half, several of the Welsh players played themselves out of the Lions team today!!
  • crispybug2 wrote:
    Scotland 29 Wales 13

Totally dominant performance from the Scots in the second half, several of the Welsh players played themselves out of the Lions team today!!

Squad, yes. Team, no given that there was probably only one in it anyway (Warburton). He was still excellent today.
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Well have to be honest, even with limited knowledge. I didn't see that coming.

Great result for the jocks and i'm still going for a Scotland win against ingerland. :D

Although in typicall jock fashion, thats the optimism and hopes built up just be be on the end of a battering. :(
  • mac9091 wrote:
    Well have to be honest, even with limited knowledge. I didn't see that coming.

Great result for the jocks and i'm still going for a Scotland win against ingerland. :D

Although in typicall jock fashion, thats the optimism and hopes built up just be be on the end of a battering. :(

Wales have a squad that they've barely changed in years. It's ageing. Once upon a time to bring Jamie Roberts on would be the very definition of super sub. Now it looks desperate. We've no creativity.

Obviously the Welsh response will be to change the fly half. But, actually, that isn't such a bad idea. Centres as well please.
  • crispybug2

Wales have a squad that they've barely changed in years. It's ageing. Once upon a time to bring Jamie Roberts on would be the very definition of super sub. Now it looks desperate. We've no creativity.

Obviously the Welsh response will be to change the fly half. But, actually, that isn't such a bad idea. Centres as well please.

Did Roberts even touch the ball?

The Welsh back line, particularly in the second half, were utterly dreadful. Biggar and 1/2p offer nothing outside of a kicking game. Gatball has been sussed and there isn't a plan b!
  • There's never been a plan B in the entire reign. It's all about being the fittest in the world. Arguably that's still true, but everyone has caught up.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Dismal day, although full credit to Scotland who are beginning to look like a handy squad. For us, Biggar looked back to his petulant past, handling errors were embarrassing and North's performance would see him dropped if his name was Cuthbert.

If I were French I wouldn't bother turning up for any game that Owens referees.
  • crispybug2
    Not sure about the Cuthbert reference, most Welsh supporters that I know think he should have been dropped at least two seasons ago!!
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Not sure about the Cuthbert reference, most Welsh supporters that I know think he should have been dropped at least two seasons ago!!

Cuthbert should be nowhere near the squad at the moment, for his own benefit if nothing else. But North's performance, as awful as it was, will hardly get a mention.

As Bender has mentioned above, there's an unhealthy stagnation about the Wales set up, from coaching staff downwards. Roberts, for example, has offered little in attack for the last 2 seasons. He is a superb defensive tactician and operator - but quite what he offers off the bench, two scores down with 20 minutes to go is a mystery.
  • crispybug2
    Just arrived at HQ for the England vs Italy match, atmosphere is very relaxed, nobody thinks Italy have a cat in hells chance! (and that includes the Italian fans)

Currently have a beer on the go, just had a surprisingly good burger at the Eel Pie pub and will be setting off in a sec!