Tour Down Under **Spoilers**

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    edited January 2017
    Bunch o' old gits!

This is innovation. Regardless of whether you don't like it for aesthetics or possible danger, he doesn't wreck because of his position. Imagine you would come up with something like this and win because of it and this is the response you'd get. LAME.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    It's not the safety i have a problem with.

Just looks terrible.

To sprinting what Froome is to climbing.
    Personally I think he looks amazing. It's better than your man Boonen bouncing his head up and down like he's at an AC/DC gig.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Isn't moustache man Degenkolb the worst/best in that class?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • ^yes, but I thought his mini head bang look more like a dog that picked up a scent.

Ewan hasn't had a history of crashing when sprinting, and with this being his third year his track record isn't bad. Despite his overly crouched style, I'd guess he has as much control as the next sprinter.
  • Today's intrepid explorer is Jasha Sutterlin. 93.4km to go, 3:30 advantage. 10km to go for the intermediate sprint.
  • Sutterlin, Kolar and Selig get the intermediate points.

McCarthy gained 2 seconds in the first sprint.

Gap at 3:30 with 70 to go.
  • Mechanical for Henao leaves him off the main the group with 22km to go and has made this race slightly more interesting than my commute.
  • Almost glued to the cars. Ellissonde trying to bring Henao back while Durbridge drives the main group.
  • Nice early attack by Porte enabling a very comfortable win. 16 seconds plus bonuses... Should be enough to break the duck.

Only Izagirre and Chaves could follow the initial attack. Gerrans is finished.
    PORTE, Richie (BMC Racing Team)
    (AUS)
    03:46:06
    IZAGUIRRE, Gorka (Movistar Team)
    (ESP)
    00:16
    CHAVES, Esteban (ORICA - SCOTT)
    (COL)
    mt
    DENNIS, Rohan (BMC Racing Team)
    (AUS)
    00:19
    HAAS, Nathan (Team Dimension Data)
    (AUS)
    mt
    ULISSI, Diego (UAE Abu Dhabi)
    (ITA)
    mt
    GUERREIRO, Ruben (Trek - Segafredo)
    (POR)
    mt
    STORER, Michael (UniSA-Australia)
    (AUS)
    mt
    WOODS, Michael (Cannondale-Drapac Professional Cycling Team)
    (CAN)
    mt
    SANCHEZ GIL, Luis Leon (Astana Pro Team)
    (ESP)
    mt

Group also includes Gerrans, Henao, Earle, McCarthy, Gesink and Kelderman
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    Boom! My Man Richie lighting it up first chance he gets. Domestiqueing duties for tejay this year by the looks of things.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    2 things I noticed.

1 - is he riding narrower bars?

2 - he was pushing a big gear in that finale.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Almost glued to the cars. Ellissonde trying to bring Henao back while Durbridge drives the main group.

That makes for an amusing contrast in stature / style.
  • jam1e wrote:
    Boom! My Man Richie lighting it up first chance he gets. Domestiqueing duties for tejay this year by the looks of things.

Tough tits Tejay :)
  • Almost glued to the cars. Ellissonde trying to bring Henao back while Durbridge drives the main group.

That makes for an amusing contrast in stature / style.

If you stacked Wee Sergio on top of Wee Kenny, you'd get a Durbo
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    This from cyclingnews:
    'A double puncture felled Sebastián forcing Sky to send his cousin Sebastián, and Kenny Elissonde to help pace him back'
    So which was it? Seb and Kenny lost 11 mins whilst Sergio was in the fairly select groupd 19sec down. I assume Sergio punctured in which case they did a good job.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Kengio Henissonde. Coming to a race commentary of Phil Liggett soon.
  • inseine wrote:
    This from cyclingnews:
    'A double puncture felled Sebastián forcing Sky to send his cousin Sebastián, and Kenny Elissonde to help pace him back'
    So which was it? Seb and Kenny lost 11 mins whilst Sergio was in the fairly select groupd 19sec down. I assume Sergio punctured in which case they did a good job.

Ah, its that classic CN attention to detail....
  • All these Colombians look the same.
  • watching the finish now

With the changes to the BMC kit, I've having flashbacks to RadioShack
  • inseine wrote:
    This from cyclingnews:

my man Kenny already saving the universe and it's not even February

Kenny Elissonde ‏@KennyElissonde 6h6 hours ago
    Puncture at the worst moment possible for Sergio today. We have lost the battle but not the war.
  • inseine wrote:
    This from cyclingnews:

my man Kenny already saving the universe and it's not even February

Kenny Elissonde ‏@KennyElissonde 6h6 hours ago
    Puncture at the worst moment possible for Sergio today. We have lost the battle but not the war.

:lol::lol:

Kenny is a one man Entente Cordiale for all partner nations
  • I'm a bit in love with wee Kenny. In a motherly way. I sort of want to pop him in a pouch and feed him scrubby grass and eucalyptus leaves.

That BMC kit really is bobbins in real life isn't it. Definite hints of Radioshack as RR says. Not good.

Anyway happy newyear alles.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Anyone know of Ruben Guerreiro ? Young Portugese rider - can't read a lot into first race at WT but that was a good effort today. TREK look like they picked him up on the back of Tour of California ( I'm guessing?)

Looks like a rider who can adapt to a number of terrains?
  • Anyone know of Ruben Guerreiro ? Young Portugese rider - can't read a lot into first race at WT but that was a good effort today. TREK look like they picked him up on the back of Tour of California ( I'm guessing?)

Axel Merckx alumni (inevitably). current Portuguese U23 RR champ. Podium in last year's U23 L-B-L, can handle the lumpy stuff but also has a decent kick. Think Geoghegan Hart type. Gotta spend a bit of time in the WT to find out what his speciality is.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Anyone know of Ruben Guerreiro ? Young Portugese rider - can't read a lot into first race at WT but that was a good effort today. TREK look like they picked him up on the back of Tour of California ( I'm guessing?)

Check out Storer too. 19 years old.
  • He's some prospect. It's good that the AIS has moved away from the prototypical second rate time trialist who peaks aged 23.
  • Good enough end to the stage. Richie looks great in that BMC kit, but not too sure about it all round.
  • Sprint stage around snoozelaide today. Multiple man breakaway for once. Even bonus seconds are not up for taking for the protagonists. Will have a look again when Ewan wins.
  • And he did. Literally Cavendish.