Pet Cat

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Pinno, are you Josef Fritzl?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,353
    Theory is often more interesting than reality.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Marmite's sister, Zen, is saying "will 100psi be enough"

DSC03061.jpg
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,631
    Both my cats are afraid of the trackpumpmonster.
  • team47b
    Both my cats are afraid of the trackpumpmonster.

Mine love bikes, you just turn your back for a second and they're all over it :D

bikefit.jpg
  • pinno
    Your cats are just plain daft - bit like there owner.

The cat that's trying to adopt me hates anything that makes noise. The blender, the hoovermonster is the worst, the electric fan oven (Samuel Whiskers didn't either), the tumbledryerblowermonster...
    Yet, if I pull up in the van, he's there when I open up the door! Being grey, it's easy to trip over him in the dark.
  • ballysmate
    Pinno wrote:

The cat that's trying to adopt me hates anything that makes noise. The blender, the hoovermonster is the worst, the electric fan oven (Samuel Whiskers didn't either), the tumbledryerblowermonster...
    Yet, if I pull up in the van, he's there when I open up the door! Being grey, it's easy to trip over him in the dark.

"Cooking fat!" no doubt?
  • First.Aspect
    Pinno wrote:

Hairdriermonster.
    Cutlerymonster.
    Dishwashermonster.
  • pinno
    ...and the worst possible horror of horrors (apart from the worm tablet coming out of the blister pack sound):
    (Slightlytallerthantoots2)toots1monster and (Slightlyshorterthantoots1)toots2monster.
    "How dare we have those things in my house? You didn't ask me".
  • First.Aspect
    Pinno wrote:
    ...and the worst possible horror of horrors (apart from the worm tablet coming out of the blister pack sound):
    (Slightlytallerthantoots2)toots1monster and (Slightlyshorterthantoots1)toots2monster.
    "How dare we have those things in my house? You didn't ask me".
    Oh yes, I forgot the spot-on-monster.
  • First.Aspect
    edited January 2017
    And the catboxmonster.
    And the tinfoilmonster.

I'm sure I'll think of some other monsters, given time.
  • ballysmate
    Always amazed when the vet was able to administer tablets without fuss or scratching...
    First time as well :shock:
  • First.Aspect
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Always amazed when the vet was able to administer tablets without fuss or scratching...
    I thought that about the analthermometermonster, which wasn't nearly as frightening as I'd thought.

But it is because by the time the cat is actually at the vet, it has concluded that death has already occurred and that it has been sent to hell for all the voles it killed then played with.
  • ballysmate
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I thought that about the analthermometermonster, which wasn't nearly as frightening as I'd thought.

But it is because by the time the cat is actually at the vet, it has concluded that death has already occurred and that it has been sent to hell for all the voles it killed then played with.

Perhaps your cat was gay?
  • pinno
    Mowermonster
    Blowingahowlinggalemonster
    Strangermonster (including windowcleanermonster) and
    Changemonster - "You moved that side table 2cms to the right. I know, I sniffed it"
  • First.Aspect
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Perhaps your cat was gay?
    I'll ask him. He's here.

He said meow. I think that's no. But it could be yes. Hard to tell because they make up their own words.
  • team47b
    Openingthedorofthewoodburningstovewhenitisnotevenalightmonster :D
  • You lot are making cat ownership sound fun. Think I need a cat to join in the monster fun! Prefer a dog but since you're making it sound fun to have a cat let you share the house i think i could become owned by a cat.

Think I'll pay a visit to the local sanctuary.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    You lot are making cat ownership sound fun. Think I need a cat to join in the monster fun! Prefer a dog but since you're making it sound fun to have a cat let you share the house i think i could become owned by a cat.

Well, now that you mention it...

Just kidding!

Cat follows me everywhere and keeps attacking the OH.
  • First.Aspect
    Garry H wrote:
    You lot are making cat ownership sound fun. Think I need a cat to join in the monster fun! Prefer a dog but since you're making it sound fun to have a cat let you share the house i think i could become owned by a cat.

Well, now that you mention it...

Just kidding!

Cat follows me everywhere and keeps attacking the OH.
    Ah, that will be the anklemonster.
  • That's your cat now. Imprinted on you and jealous of others. Sounds like a dog. You often get a dog that's clearly one member of the household's pet. Didn't really think cats did that.

BTW which is best, male or female? In neutered cats obviously. Is one gender better than the other as a family pet?
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    Our cat loves my fiancée (it is really her cat, afterall). However, it sometimes harasses me when it needs something or wants a fuss.

She never attacks anyone though. Quite a good cat really, considering the fact we have a two year old daughter.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025

You can have a cat, and have a job.
    If you go to work, the cat will sleep for 90% of the time, gaze casually out of the window now and again, and lick its bits, content in the knowledge that it owns everything it surveys. When you come home it will con you into feeding it before it goes out killing stuff (it's natural and correct behaviour, after all.) :wink:

If you own a dog, one of your family will have to give up work.
    If you leave a dog on its own, within (going off the neighbours I have had over the years,) anything from 5 minutes to a couple of hours, the dog, which is a pack animal don't forget, with think you have abandoned it for ever.
    Despite apparently being the intelligent ones, your dog will go into a daily turmoil of abandonment frenzy, depression and anxiety. Howling, whimpering, barking, yelping (sometimes p*ssing on the floor and chewing your furniture) until it hears your car come down the street, or your particular footsteps at 100 paces.
    This is animal cruelty at its worse, as the psychological damage is always hidden (except from your long suffering neighbours who will eventually come to hate you and plan both of your demise. :shock: ) The amount of dog "lovers" who inflict this pain on their animals 5/6 days a week would but hung, drawn and quartered by the RSPCA, if it wasn't for the fact that most of the people who work for the RSPCA are also doing the same thing.

Also cat people are cool. Except the mad ones. I don't own a cat by the way. :wink:
  • benws1
    Off topic, but a big shout out for rabbits.

Very misunderstood little bundles of fluff that are intelligent and great company. Just beware that they love to chew things (wires are a speciality). :)

We used to have two house rabbits. They were very clean (only went to the toilet in a corner of their cage), very easy to look after (if done properly) and both of them had their own character.

People think they are boring because they get them, stick them in a tiny cage all day and then wonder why they look miserable.
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    Pinno wrote:

On another occasion, she brought back 2 huge bits of steak frozen together; covered in gnawing marks. I guess someone had put it out to defrost. Suffice to say, we didn't go knocking on doors to find out who had lost them.

Had a cat who brought home a long string of sausages once, that made me laugh.

Aside from the usual assortment of mice, rats, frogs and a squirrel, the current cats have brought home : a child's sock; a rasher of bacon; a live quail; a hamster; a fantail goldfish.
  • benws1
    Our cat brought home a drunk Albanian*.

Had us in fits of laughter.

* Didn't really happen. But would be great. :)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,673
    benws1 wrote:
    Off topic, but a big shout out for rabbits.

Very misunderstood little bundles of fluff that are intelligent and great company. Just beware that they love to chew things (wires are a speciality). :)

We used to have two house rabbits. They were very clean (only went to the toilet in a corner of their cage), very easy to look after (if done properly) and both of them had their own character.

People think they are boring because they get them, stick them in a tiny cage all day and then wonder why they look miserable.

+1. We have two outdoor ones. Was a bit sceptical to start with (Mrs RJS'S idea) but am growing quite fond of them. A bit more rowdy than your house bunnies by the sound of it.

I grew up in a house with never fewer than two cats despite being allergic to them (not sure what that says about my parents) so am definitely a cat person. Unfortunately, daughter is even more sneezy than me so outdoor pets only
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Tropical fish here. Started off with 3 then another 3 then 2 platys of the same sex. Now we have over 20 platys and are missing a few of the tetras we started with. Seems a female platyb can be fertilized and hold back the live birth for almost 2 years. So a tank of females can be in your tank for 18 months before you see offspring. Then they can have 20 or more from the single mating that probably happened before you got it. Result is a tank with too many fish. Now we've got a horrible job involving a fish net and a container of water and clove oil to euthanize the platys we can't keep or give away.
    Mind you i disagree about the dog comments. Get two dogs and access to an outdoors space and there's no issue. They are pack animals but even wolves go out and be solitary at times. Leaving a dog for a few hours isn't necessarily cruel depending on the dog and other factors. Add in another dog, outdoors run, etc and you will more than likely have a happy pack.

BTW relatives have had dogs whilst working. Those dogs were all very good examples of well adjusted and happy dogs. However not every owner has the necessary knowledge, experience and living circumstances to keep a dog. Just like some cat owners shouldn't have them.

BTW there was a woman not too far away from me in Arnside. She surrendered about 67 dogs and cats to the RSPCA and got banned from owning animals. Two years later they got a call from her neighbours over dogs and cats being seen in a bad way in n her place. They went in to find over 100 animals in a very poor state of health. I think she got arrested and tried for animal cruelty. Possibly jailed too. There was a major appeal for sanctuaries to take them because there were so many animals in a really bad state.

The issue was the mental health of this woman. She had such s strong love of animals and just wanted to rescue every one she came across. The trouble was she couldn't cope but just took more and more on. It was s compulsive behaviour that needed counselling.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Our cat is mesmerised by the sound of a well worn in Campagnolo freehub. She is, however, scared of the sparklingwaterscrewlidhissingmonster.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pinno
    edited January 2017
    I kept tropical fish for about 10 years. Loved them. Cardinal tetras, some Guppies, Siamese fighters (1 at a time), a feisty little bumble bee Goby and some Zebra Danios. Wasn't that keen on Platy's tbh TM. I liked the catfish as resident cleaners. As I moved quite a few times, shifting tank and fish was a PITA so I elected to sell the tank and fish to a friend who had more tanks than you can shake a stick at. He took great care of his fish.
    The upkeep is constant but I loved growing proper aquatic plants which often promoted algae - especially with the Denerle fertiliser, without which the plants didn't thrive.
    I had a 4' by 14" wide by 18" deep tank and a pump with internal filter with 2 strip lights in the hood (UVB and UVA). The colours of the fish and the plants with the twin lighting was A1. I managed to get some Welsh slate from the Brecon Beacons which provided a lovely backdrop coupled with 3mm chick pea as well as an undergravel filter. The pump had 2 internal sponges and you took one out and cleaned the other every water change, which kept the bacterial balance. I was recommended the undergravel filter for plant life. It worked.
    When I get properly settled, I fully intend to get another tank with a slightly more sophisticated pump/filter and see if I could reduce the upkeep.