Pet Cat

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Garry H wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Why not go to the Cats Protection League in the first place to grab a pussy and save 80 notes?
    They only had scrawny looking things, no wonder they have to give them away for free.

Anyway, the seller lives in a council house near a prison somewhere. I'll tell her I'm a lawyer or something. I'll get my money back.

80 quid for a kitten?
    Seller is also clairvoyant as she certainly saw you coming.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    You bought a dud. If you really don't want it, and no animal deserves to be unloved, then I would talk to the RSPCA.

But don't go and buy another kitten.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    You are responsible for an animal. You've paid almost nothing for it, and you are baulking at the first expenses. You have signed up for about 18 years of costs to feed and look after it. Or did you not think of that?

Get it chipped, registered with a vet, get inoculations, get it spayed. Pick it up lots and play with it. Get a cat flap installed. Get pet insurance. Try to learn something about it. There isn't an instruction book, it doesn't take AA batteries and you can't switch it off.

If you can't afford it, find it a new home and don't ever get a pet again or consider breeding a child.

This thread and the OPs attitude makes me really angry.

+1,000,000

You wanted a kitten. You have a kitten. It does what kittens do. A little bit of research might help.

But then, if you had done your research, you'd have made a better choice. RSPCA, PDSA or respected breeder.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,596
    Garry H wrote:
    Bought a kitten a few weeks ago. Paid 80 quid for him and the seller told us it had been checked over by a vet. I found some ticks on him so wife took him to the vet where she was told the he is actually a she. Contacted the seller but she refuses to take the cat back and refund the money. Legally, is there anything we can do?
    Garry, if you bought it becuase you liked it when you first saw it, keep it, get it sorted at the vet's and look after it. Show it some care and attention and I'm sure it will turn out to be the pet that you wanted. Is it that big a deal that it's female rather than a Tom?

For future ref, personally it pays to do your research and go to a reputable breeder whatever the animal. We did that with our dog and he definitely wasn't cheap but its the best money I can remember spending.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,085
    Garry H wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Why not go to the Cats Protection League in the first place to grab a pussy and save 80 notes?
    They only had scrawny looking things, no wonder they have to give them away for free.
    As opposed to the tick infested, unneutered one, which probably also needs worming. :?

I also think it's got something the matter with it, like mentally I mean. It keeps running around like a loon and falling off stuff. Can you tell if a cat has something wrong with its brain?

We had a floppy, daft female tortoiseshell. We called it Pompom (for obvious reasons). It was the result of a slightly incestuous relationship). The tortoiseshell is a recessive gene. It is and will probably be loopy but quite lovable.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    You should have asked before buying it. I'd have given a very simple piece of advice: "don't"
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    I assume the thread is a joke to troll cat lovers.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    You are responsible for an animal. You've paid almost nothing for it, and you are baulking at the first expenses. You have signed up for about 18 years of costs to feed and look after it. Or did you not think of that?

Get it chipped, registered with a vet, get inoculations, get it spayed. Pick it up lots and play with it. Get a cat flap installed. Get pet insurance. Try to learn something about it. There isn't an instruction book, it doesn't take AA batteries and you can't switch it off.

If you can't afford it, find it a new home and don't ever get a pet again or consider breeding a child.

This thread and the OPs attitude makes me really angry.

I was hoping it's a really w@nk joke. Like most of his posts...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    OP will be hamming it up a bit. But, like making any other slightly distasteful joke, it gives you a clue as to what they really think, and brings it out in others.
  • I assume the thread is a joke to troll cat lovers.
    Or people who don't like cats...
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • I assume the thread is a joke to troll cat lovers.

I hope so :?
  • First Aspect's post made a lot of very good points and is what i was thinking. Personally I'm not a cat lover being more a dog lover, but they're animals so i care about their welfare. IMHO don't get any animal before you know everything needed to look after them, at least the theory because reality will be different. Also i am against buying cats from breeders. Rescue cats are very common at centres and the description of their personality and suitability will be accurate. It's the product of their behaviourists, staff and volunteers experiences with the cats. You can get kittens through to adult cats. I would seriously consider the adults for beginners. You'll get a known entity in that the personality of the cat has already been determined. I understand kittens will change when they become adults.

I've volunteered at a rescue centre before dog walking / socializing and also socializing cats. I learnt a lot and admit seeing cats in rescue centres sometimes upsets me. Each visit back to my local centre (no longer got time for volunteering) results in me seeing too many good, adult cats being broken by the stress of this temporary home.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Good news folk, the cat stays and I was reimbursed the eighty pounds. That will now go towards paying for her to be neutered. All's well that ends well, to quote the bard!
  • Garry H
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Anyway, the seller lives in a council house near a prison somewhere. I'll tell her I'm a lawyer or something. I'll get my money back.

80 quid for a kitten?
    Seller is also clairvoyant as she certainly saw you coming.

That's what pi55ed me off.
  • Garry H
    Pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    As opposed to the tick infested, unneutered one, which probably also needs worming. :?

I also think it's got something the matter with it, like mentally I mean. It keeps running around like a loon and falling off stuff. Can you tell if a cat has something wrong with its brain?

We had a floppy, daft female tortoiseshell. We called it Pompom (for obvious reasons). It was the result of a slightly incestuous relationship). The tortoiseshell is a recessive gene. It is and will probably be loopy but quite lovable.

Same as Maxi Cat then.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Pinno wrote:

The tortoiseshell is a recessive gene.

Is that why tortoises are dying out?
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • ballysmate
    FishFish wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

The tortoiseshell is a recessive gene.

Is that why tortoises are dying out?

Live fast, die young.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Garry H wrote:
    Good news folk, the cat stays and I was reimbursed the eighty pounds. That will now go towards paying for her to be neutered. All's well that ends well, to quote the bard!

All cats should be neutered. Happy with the outcome. Enjoy, give it some love and it will love you back, they're very simple animals.
  • ballysmate
    Joelsim wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

All cats should be neutered. Happy with the outcome. Enjoy, give it some love and it will love you back, they're very simple animals.

The cat's a remainer?
    No wonder JS is happy.
  • Garry H
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

The cat's a remainer?
    No wonder JS is happy.

Sure is! I'll post a pic once I work out how to.
  • secretsam
    Garry H wrote:

Good news. Get a pet plan from the vet, keep up its meds, get it snipped and enjoy the ride.

My cat's as thick as pigsh17 and an insistent little s0d, but I love her soooo much. Although the mice gifts kind of wear your patience.

• My experience of cats, outside of rescue centres, consists of the following. Feather on a fishing line is a great way to get a kitten or adult kitten so dizzy it can't stand. White cats get stained badly by turmeric / curry powder taking ages to moult out the colour. Beware semi-feral cats! Any cat that hunts dogs out is to be feared. One eyed cats don't know they've got one good eye. They'll hit things a lot jumping over them due to depth perception issues. It might be funny at first but worrying once you get over the humour of the situation. If it is getting fat cutting back on food might not work, it'll be eating elsewhere.

There's a whole load more cat stories, but the OP will get his own cat stories soon enough. Enjoy your house guest!

One point, if it gets loopy early evening or late afternoon. I mean really loopy. It's possibly just getting ready for a night out. Zooming is just warming up.
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    There's a whole load more cat stories, but the OP will get his own cat stories soon enough. Enjoy your house guest!.

anyone who has a cat knows that the OP will be the house guest :lol:
  • Our broken cat has just had its splint off after 6 weeks bandaged up with a broken radius and I'd say we are about £500 lighter because of it.

I joked that a spade was a fiver and do two jobs, disptach and funeral however that's all it was.

If you take in an animal it's your reponsibility to look after it nomatter what sex it is.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    We (well, my fiancée to be exact) have a cat. She appeared in the garden of our old house about 7 years ago. She never left, so we adopted her.

I am not a cat lover, but I care about animals. Cats by their very nature p*ss me off (destructive, jump on everything, harass you at 5am, kill everything small in the garden etc.). However, my fiancée utterly adores her and she adores my fiancée. I begrudgingly put up with the cat. :)
  • secretsam
    benws1 wrote:
    We (well, my fiancée to be exact) have a cat. She appeared in the garden of our old house about 7 years ago. She never left, so we adopted her.

I am not a cat lover, but I care about animals. Cats by their very nature p*ss me off (destructive, jump on everything, harass you at 5am, kill everything small in the garden etc.). However, my fiancée utterly adores her and she adores my fiancée. I begrudgingly put up with the cat. :)

You may find your adopted cat also has several other adopted owners. A study of urban cats and their owners found that the ratio of people saying they owned a cat to actual cats was about 2 to 1.

Shut the bedroom door if you don't want to be harrassed. Cat will soon get the message.

• benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    SecretSam wrote:
    benws1 wrote:

You may find your adopted cat also has several other adopted owners. A study of urban cats and their owners found that the ratio of people saying they owned a cat to actual cats was about 2 to 1.

Shut the bedroom door if you don't want to be harrassed. Cat will soon get the message.

We can't shut the door due to having a young daughter. :)

On the whole, the cat isn't that bad though. She never lashes out at our daughter (who we have trained to be gentle with animals), she doesn't make a lot of fuss and sleeps at our house every night. She goes out in the day for a few hours, comes home, sleeps, goes out again for a few hours and stays in until the morning.

She is very good at catching small animals. At the old house, we had issues with rats. She managed to collar and kill quite a few that were about half the size of her, without injury to herself. She is only a small cat. We think she is around 9 years old.
  • pinno
    edited January 2017
    We had a cat who we found in the field adjacent to our house. She had a broken pelvis and a crushed tail when we found her. We think she was roughly 8 weeks old. She survived but her tail had to be amputated. To cut a long story short, vet said she wouldn't live long and was too weak to be spayed but she did despite coughing incessantly.
    She got pregnant and mother nature kicked in and after her pregnancy, was fit as a fiddle but she ran on pure instinct. Come rain or shower, she hunted mercilessly and was a superb mum to her tiny litter of 2 - she was very stunted. She passed her hunting skills on to the 2 kittens. One died of a latent problem following a snake bite and the other lived to 18 (somehow).
    Always grateful and eternally gentle, she would purr every time we picked her up.
    One day, she caught a rat. It was huge. I went and shouted "Come and look at this" and when a few family members turned up, she legged it with it in her mouth. When she wandered back, she had changed shape and there was a protrusion out the side of her stomach. Only thing left of the rat was the tail and the bowel.

On another occasion, she brought back 2 huge bits of steak frozen together; covered in gnawing marks. I guess someone had put it out to defrost. Suffice to say, we didn't go knocking on doors to find out who had lost them.

RIP 'Midnight', however the local bird and rodent population thrived after her departure.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Thread needs pics...

What a cat looks like on a hot day :D

DSC02789.jpg
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    If there was a speech bubble, Marmite would say:

"You b4stard, it's hot and it's all your fault". You see, the thing about cats is, everything is personal.
    If you lock your dog, your cat and your wife in the shed for a week, 1 week later the cat and the wife would pour scorn on you and the dog would be happy to see you.