Feel like crying after today's commute home (serious)

13»

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I have all the kit in the world but still soaking wet feet, not cold mind
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Good news about the ring. I've been worrying about it
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • jspash
    jspash Posts: 107
    Passing along some i'm-not-a-doctor-but... advice I was given while rambling in Snowdonia with less than adequate cold-weather gear. If you ever find yourself at risk of losing some fingers due to cold, along with the previously mentioned full-arm windmills, take off your gloves and shove your hands up your shirt. The warmth from your chest/stomach will quickly warm them up. Much more quickly than cupping and breathing into them or rubbing them together.

Either that or slay a tauntaun and crawl inside it's belly :D

Also, if you see the skin turning a sickly grey (like a dead person) you might be too late. White is fine, it's just lack of blood. Grey can be dead/dying tissue.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    Weather forecasts are pretty accurate 12hrs ahead, at least to the degree that you know what kit to wear on the way out and back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743 < gives you all the info you need on an hour by hour basis.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Excellent!

If it cheers you up any, I lost mine on the first day of our honeymoon in the sea. The walk back to the sunbed to explain myself was fairly torrid. After I lost, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th it was decided that I should not bother with anything of any value as I can't be trusted. We've been married 20 years. I know how you felt but, you know, it's just a piece of metal
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    pastryboy wrote:
    I found it!!!!
    There are no words for how relieved I felt.

That's super.

I too once got home to find I didn't have my wedding ring (on a Friday). Found it next to the bike rack at work on the Monday morning.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Weather forecasts are pretty accurate 12hrs ahead, at least to the degree that you know what kit to wear on the way out and back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743 < gives you all the info you need on an hour by hour basis.

BBC weather forecasts :D:D:D:D:lol:
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    ↑↑↑↑↑↑

What he said. After the soaking I endured on Saturday (although BBC was forecasting sun all day), I'd take their forecasts with a HUGE pinch of salt.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    Fair enough.

Works well for me.

I check it every morning and I've not been caught out on my commute so far.

Then again my commute is 30 mins so it needs to be pretty drastically out to affect me.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Fair enough.

Works well for me.

Then again my commute is 30 mins so it needs to be pretty drastically out to affect me.

I'm pretty sure the BBC website said it wouldn't start raining until 9-10 this morning. Got soaked from 7-8. I find they're pretty much incorrect all of the time.

I have a theory that due to the lack of sport or anything decent on their network they big up the weather as a substitute. The song and dance they made about last Thursday was embarrassing
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • I don't trust the location based forecast for "it will start raining where you are at this time". It is mostly wrong. For a few hours ahead the actual TV forecast is pretty damn good. Then the rain radar websites show you where it actually is raining to help with the very short term forecast.
  • BBC works ok for me as a general guide. If it says it's going to be sunny it usually is, if it says it's going to rain it usually is. Anything else can be a bit of a crapshoot.
  • Clearly the way forward is for all cyclists with fancy bikes to ditch them during the UK winter, replacing them with...
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/ikea ... -30326733/

And...
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/ikea ... -50345641/

This will enable them to carry kit for most possibilities, while the extra mass of kit and trailer will burn more calories, so rides can be reduced in terms of distance travelled. :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I use an app called Dark Sky - find it to be more accurate than the BBC (not perfect but better)
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • I use an app called Dark Sky - find it to be more accurate than the BBC (not perfect but better)

I'd be careful, it sounds like the name of a computer that is going to take over the world and destroy us all.
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Clearly the way forward is for all cyclists with fancy bikes to ditch them during the UK winter, replacing them with...
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/ikea ... -30326733/

And...
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/ikea ... -50345641/

This will enable them to carry kit for most possibilities, while the extra mass of kit and trailer will burn more calories, so rides can be reduced in terms of distance travelled. :lol:

Love it! 'The aluminium frame makes the bike lightweight....... Weight 15kg'

You're almost into Boris Bike territory with that sort of bulk.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Yay!

No such thing as bad weather, just wrong clothing. I do ditch the bike if there is snow/slush/ice on the road.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    WarrenG wrote:
    Fair enough.

Works well for me.

I'm pretty sure the BBC website said it wouldn't start raining until 9-10 this morning. Got soaked from 7-8. I find they're pretty much incorrect all of the time.

I have a theory that due to the lack of sport or anything decent on their network they big up the weather as a substitute. The song and dance they made about last Thursday was embarrassing

That is spot on, in my experience. A couple of years back, the BBC made a huge song and dance about the new met office 'supercomputer' and how great it was. At the time, I was living in a place, with line of sight to the studio from which they were giving the forecast, with it's fancy pants animations, and graphics. I was watching the forecast on the T.V. and they were telling me that it was fine and dry, where the studio was. The trouble was, I could see the studio, and it was absolutely hammering it down, as the fancy computer graphic was showing it to be clear (for a good hundred miles radius). At that point, I decided to not pay much attention to their forecasts anymore.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Wunderground for me, i look at local stations most of which are military and do an average, i take even a 1% chance of rain as certain to pissdown all day

oh and it's always windy so that's easy
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • navt wrote:
    Yay!

No such thing as bad weather, just wrong clothing. I do ditch the bike if there is snow/slush/ice on the road.

So your clothing includes a bicycle.
  • navt wrote:
    Yay!

I wasn't going to say anything but yes, surely the second sentence invalidates the first...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    navt wrote:
    Yay!

I wasn't going to say anything but yes, surely the second sentence invalidates the first...

Well no - the first sentence indicates the poster is knowledgeable. The second that he is a big girls blouse. This isn't contradictory.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    navt wrote:
    Yay!

Well no - the first sentence indicates the poster is knowledgeable. The second that he is a big girls blouse. This isn't contradictory.

His first sentence claims there is no bad weather for cycling, he just needs the right kit. I interpret that as him saying he can ride in any weather as long as he is dressed appropriately. The second sentence is contradictory to that.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    navt wrote:
    Yay!

His first sentence claims there is no bad weather for cycling, he just needs the right kit. I interpret that as him saying he can ride in any weather as long as he is dressed appropriately. The second sentence is contradictory to that.

Also, what clothing is appropriate for these guys? https://youtu.be/KHsTn7ketto?t=513
  • Rolf F wrote:
    navt wrote:
    Yay!

Also, what clothing is appropriate for these guys? https://youtu.be/KHsTn7ketto?t=513

Thurs_Qual20Mike36mph.jpg
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    So glad you found it! Now you just need to put on a bit of fat, to help with both ring retention and heat retention
  • I stopped wearing my wedding ring when I saw a colleague's photographs of his degloved finger. He had climbed a 6' fence (emergency services) and jumped down the other side but his wedding ring caught on the wire. His entire finger was stripped of the skin and tendons and he lost use of that finger.

A message went around advising everyone to seriously consider removing them at work. Since then I've never put it back on, I'm always pottering around with bikes and other gizmos as well as doing dashing deeds at work and I reckon I've saved myself at least a couple of nasty injuries.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,812
    A work colleague of mine did exactly the same many, many years ago. Except his finger came off completely. I still wear my ring, but refuse to climb fences.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    navt wrote:
    Yay!

Yup. Cold/wet I can deal with. Coming off the bike in difficult conditions, no thanks. Too old for that.
  • navt wrote:
    navt wrote:
    Yay!

Yup. Cold/wet I can deal with. Coming off the bike in difficult conditions, no thanks. Too old for that.

In bad weather, you mean.