Feel like crying after today's commute home (serious)

Comments

• Great news on finding the ring! :D

Now buy some Superglue and glue in to your ring finger. :wink:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    #5 #9
    Bummer about the ring though
  • #5 #9
    Bummer about the ring though
    He found it...
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Fair play for finding it !!!!! Nice one
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Combination of luck, logic and patience. I'd hate to have given up on it then had to pass that spot every day. Wife knew I was really annoyed about it and determined to find it so she never got annoyed with me although no doubt it would have come up in the future next time there was an argument.

Re: the kit, they're slightly too tight Aldi crab gloves. They're the warmest gloves I've ever used but only manage about 20 minutes of rain before they soak through. I've never had any joy with anything that claimed to be waterproof but I really should have planned better and had some extra gloves with me. Being cold and wet wasn't an issue as I could push through that but the pain in my hands was excruciating.

The weather was exceptional though - you don't usually get rain at freezing temperatures in London. I don't recall it ever happening before in seven years of commuting. Only once have I had really bad cold, numb hands and that was the near blizard in 2009 when I had completely the wrong kind of gloves on.
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    Like the rest of the gang I'm very pleased for you and it's cheered me up no end hearing about it (I'm still feeling miserable , getting over flu)
  • Perfect, I`m really pleased for you bud, and I`m sure you`ll get reward tonight for finding it :):)

For anyone else.
    Metal detecorists will come out and find stuff like this for anyone.

Your local club will sort out someone to help you out.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    pastryboy wrote:
    I found it!!!!

Brilliant!
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Great thread, really glad you found the ring!!

Regarding the rain Thursday...it caught quite a few people out including me.

Was soaked to the skin with freezing rain within 5 minutes of leaving work. Failed to
    generate any heat until 40 minutes later when I was on a cycle path away from the utterly mental traffic trying to kill me.

Just horrible, hands so cold but tbh, I could only think of friends with a lot longer commute home. When the snow came it was a relief, coincided with me warming up slightly. Wish I'd worn my gore winter gloves I had in my bag...the neoprene just didn't do it in the cold, I've never experienced hands that cold before....but glad I found this out on a relatively short ride (12 miles) than anything longer. Lesson learnt!
  • The following is a true story.

A few years ago, I lost a couple of stone, largely by cycle commuting. Life moved on, and the chance arose to move out of Belfast, which I jumped at with both hands. On the Monday of the last week, said weight loss resulted in my wedding ring falling off my finger, somewhere on my commute. Notices were posted on every shop on my route to work, but I gave it up as a dead loss.

Six months later, an anonymous parcel landed in the post, and in it my ring. Could have danced.
  • pastryboy wrote:
    I found it!!!!

Great news - well done! It's the feel good story of the year.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702
    Great to hear there was a happy ending. On the gloves, I've found that cold hands are to a large extent a sign that your core is not warm enough. The blood vessels in your extremities constrict to push all the warm blood back to the middle to keep you warm but keeping your fingers cold. Tight fitting gloves will only make this worse.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I gave up wearing my ring a year ago ... CoukjCoukjdnt wear it in the gym, or working on cars or bikes as I lost weight it kept falling off in bed ... It the leather on the steering wheel, clicks on the gear knob .... Now its lost in the bedside drawer
  • pastryboy
    The following is a true story.

That is crazy. The only 'plus' side was that you knew it was a gonner and had to move on. I was going over and over it in my head because finding it seemed unlikely but logically it had to be within a certain area (though unfortunately that included a section of canal).
    The blood vessels in your extremities constrict to push all the warm blood back to the middle to keep you warm but keeping your fingers cold. Tight fitting gloves will only make this worse.

That's why I ditched them. They felt really tight around my hands when they swelled with water and I wanted to try and move my fingers. I ended up riding the last bit of the journey with socks on my hands which achieved nothing. At the point I had stopped to wee I was genuinely considering weeing on my hands to warm them. I wish I had.

I'm not one to fuss but I was genuinely on the cusp of something fairly serious there - hyperventilating and shaking uncontrollably which I've never experienced before. It took about twenty minutes for my clothing to be breached so I was soaked through in the cold for over an hour.

Having commuted for so long I think I was a bit blase about it. I knew I'd be damp and cold but this was really something else.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    nice one!
    FCN = 4
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806
    pastryboy wrote:
    I'm not one to fuss but I was genuinely on the cusp of something fairly serious there - hyperventilating and shaking uncontrollably which I've never experienced before. It took about twenty minutes for my clothing to be breached so I was soaked through in the cold for over an hour.
    Sound like the onset of hypothermia, which is serious indeed!
    Pins and needles type pain as you thawed out?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • milemuncher1
    PBlakeney wrote:
    pastryboy wrote:

The pins and needles pain, is caused by blood trying to return to constricted capillaries. It's not usually anything to fret about.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Chilblains, had them mannnnny times both as a kid playing in the snow and being on operations with the RAF:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/chilblains ... ction.aspx
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • pastryboy
    Yes, tingling hands all night and finger tips still felt tingly the next morning when I washing my hands.

Definitely had several of the hypothermia symptoms on the NHS site. Don't think I could have lasted any longer out there.
  • milemuncher1
    Ryan_W wrote:
    Chilblains, had them mannnnny times both as a kid playing in the snow and being on operations with the RAF:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/chilblains ... ction.aspx

Chilblains are part and parcel of riding in sub zero conditions. Much as I hate them, #5 comes in to play.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806
    PBlakeney wrote:
    pastryboy wrote:

The pins and needles pain, is caused by blood trying to return to constricted capillaries. It's not usually anything to fret about.
    I said "type" pain. I was only using it as an analogy to the pains I suffered when warming up from a hypothermic condition. Not nice.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    pastryboy wrote:
    I found it!!!!

Was there at 6AM Friday morning with a torch to no avail so I left work early to try under natural light. I'd pretty much ruled out the spot where I removed my gloves so decided to start 12ft away and comb the area.

Approximately 4/5ft from the point I'd shaken my hands, there is was, the edge of it poking out amongst some dead leaves on the verge.

There are no words for how relieved I felt.

Wow great news, glad you found it!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    97 miles in the wind mud and rain today, lovely stuff not cold at all thanks to a gabba with a rapha rain jacket and neoprene castelli gloves
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Guys, it's 2017. There's enough kit out there nowadays you needn't ever get that cold.
  • Guys, it's 2017. There's enough kit out there nowadays you needn't ever get that cold.

Yeah but if people on here keep recommending bloody neoprene gloves as the answer to freezing rain they will get that cold ;)
  • milemuncher1
    Guys, it's 2017. There's enough kit out there nowadays you needn't ever get that cold.

Yeah but if people on here keep recommending bloody neoprene gloves as the answer to freezing rain they will get that cold ;)

Very true, my fingers have never been colder than when using neoprene gloves.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Given how kit obsessed the forum is it's even more surprising!
  • Given how kit obsessed the forum is it's even more surprising!

That day was unusual - it was quite warm in the morning, then like doing the ice bucket challenge for 40 minutes in the evening. The right kit was at home.
  • milemuncher1
    Given how kit obsessed the forum is it's even more surprising!

That day was unusual - it was quite warm in the morning, then like doing the ice bucket challenge for 40 minutes in the evening. The right kit was at home.
    Exactly, some people seem to forget that the weather / temperature can change enough for what was the right kit, to become not the right kit, and you can be no where near where the right kit actually is, when it happens.
  • Given how kit obsessed the forum is it's even more surprising!

Exactly, some people seem to forget that the weather / temperature can change enough for what was the right kit, to become not the right kit, and you can be no where near where the right kit actually is, when it happens.

To be fair, there wasn't much secret made of the impending snowstorm of doom, just the morning made me stupidly underestimate it.