Froome the hypocrite

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Desperate stuff

I tink so too
    Me too... The fact Contador is sitting on his wheel as well, just looks nothing like the Ricco clip.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Desperate stuff

I tink so too
    Me too... The fact Contador is sitting on his wheel as well, just looks nothing like the Ricco clip.

Yes, but look at the result of that stage (Stage 5 of 2013 Dauphine). It shows how extra-terrestrial it was

1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Sky Procycling
    2 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Team Saxo-Tinkoff +4s
    3 Matthew Busche (USA) RadioShack Leopard +4s (in the break)
    4 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team +10s
    5 Michael Rogers (Aus) Team Saxo-Tinkoff +12s
    6 Daniel Moreno Fernandez (Spa) Katusha +12s
    7 Rein Taaramae (Est) Cofidis, Solutions Credits +12s

He beat Rogers and Taaramae by 12 seconds! Who can image such a feat?

(As I said earlier, Froome's effective attacks come after a sustained period of pressure from Sky. Without it Contador was able to follow - not sure he still can. It's also why in the Vuelta, without as good a team, Froome uses the rope a dope tactic to persuade rivals to go too big too early)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • CuthbertC
    CuthbertC Posts: 172
    2014 Dauphine, not 2013.
  • RichN95.
    CuthbertC wrote:
    2014 Dauphine, not 2013.
    Ah yes, so it is.

The one where he beat Wilko Kelderman by 4 seconds and Jurgen Van den Broeck by a whole ten seconds. Even less impressive.
  • This is zoomer stuff
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    RichN95 wrote:
    CuthbertC wrote:
    2014 Dauphine, not 2013.
    Ah yes, so it is.

The one where he beat Wilko Kelderman by 4 seconds and Jurgen Van den Broeck by a whole ten seconds. Even less impressive.

The winner of any race is abnormal, therefore cheating.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    It appears words have been exchanged inside Sky.

All we need is Paxman.

https://twitter.com/danroan/status/818842006600503296
  • RichN95.
    Joelsim wrote:

All we need is Paxman.

It may inadvertently be good for Sky. If you want to make story go away, provide a better one. And a feud is a better story than mystery packages.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

All we need is Paxman.

It may inadvertently be good for Sky. If you want to make story go away, provide a better one. And a feud is a better story than mystery packages.

It could be anything. It could be deliberately designed to show CF is pissed off. Who knows.

It'll probably be over in a jiffy anyway.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    Joelsim wrote:

It'll probably be over in a jiffy anyway.
    I see what you did there :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,725
    Joelsim wrote:

All we need is Paxman.

I don't understand - what is going on?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    [vague sports editor]The video seems to indicate that DB no longer has the support of CF due to DB being unwilling to directly answer the question regarding such support. The evasiveness of the answers could lead to the speculation of a possible rift between the team's principal and it's biggest star.[/vague sports editor]
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • M.R.M. wrote:
    [vague sports editor]The video seems to indicate that DB no longer has the support of CF due to DB being unwilling to directly answer the question regarding such support. The evasiveness of the answers could lead to the speculation of a possible rift between the team's principal and it's biggest star.[/vague sports editor]

Would be better if it were vogue sports editor

Teen Vogue has been crushing the journalism game in the US. Made mainstream news outlets look asleep at the wheel
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Is that why you buy Teen Vogue? Clearly others buy Playboy for the same reasons... :wink:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • M.R.M. wrote:
    Is that why you buy Teen Vogue? Clearly others buy Playboy for the same reasons... :wink:

Not that way inclined, sir. Fer reelz, the articles in Teen Vogue for the last few months on stuff like Trump have been pretty strong
  • rick_chasey
    M.R.M. wrote:

Support for what?

I'm still confused?

Why does Froome need to 'support' Brailsford?
  • RichN95.
    edited January 2017
    M.R.M. wrote:

Support for what?

I'm still confused?

Why does Froome need to 'support' Brailsford?
    Because questions are being asked by people who seem to have very little knowledge of cycling. They only know football so everything is viewed with reference to it. They also still seem to think that Brailsford is some sort of coach rather than the CEO.
  • rick_chasey
    Right. I thought as much.
  • RichN95.
    Brailsford doesn't learn though. He should have stayed away from the media day completely. Let Ellingworth/Portal & riders talk about cycling instead.

But he has to be 'The Man'. I think it's more than anything from 2011 that annoys Froome.
  • Disappointed DB ignored our suggestion to ditch the Mallorca journo jolly & instead hold the media day at a hotel in the London burbs, fielding the likes of Golas as the star rider interviewees

Sad!
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Ricco's attack was out of the blue - he just decided to take off and that was that. The Froome clip comes after a period of concerted pressure applied by Sky, particularly by Porte, to ride at a strategy precisely suited to Froome. A year later at the Vuelta, Contador followed similar attacks which didn't have the same set up.

No Ricco's attack wasn't out of the blue. He had ridden the Giro that year and only came to the Tour "to win stages".

He was already 4 minutes down after the first week and then attacked on stage 9, rested. His attack let him finish 1 minute ahead of Efimkin and Dessel. None of the favorites bothered to chase him because he was so far down.

The Aspin is 11.9km and 12.1km from either and nowhere as steep as Ventoux.

Whereas Froome's attack on Ventoux, was on a 220km stage, raced at raced at record speed in the 3rd week of the Tour with Ventoux being at 21km - twice the length of the Aspin.

Froome's Ventoux was by far more shocking than Ricco, as Frrome destroyed the entire field of favorites, he put 1.40 into Contador, 30s into Quintana, 2.30s into Valverde and over 3 minutes into Bardet. It was a devastating attack. Way beyond what Ricco ever did on CERA. Along with those very strange seated accelerations.

Add to that Ricco could not ITT for his own life and Froome despite his weight can beat most larger and more powerful riders.
    Ricco finished 1-04 clear of Vladimir Efimkin (Ag2r) with the front group of chasers at 1-17. Kim Kirchen (Columbia) finished with all the other overall contenders and so kept the yellow jersey. Cadel Evans crashed heavily on a descent but was not seriously hurt and is still second at six seconds, with Christian Vande Velde (Garmin) moving up to an impressive third at 44 seconds.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... u33yMpk.99
    TOUR DE FRANCE 2008: STAGE 9 RESULTS
    1. Riccardo Ricco (Ita) Saunier Duval 224km in 5h 39m 28secs
    2. Vladimir Efimkin (Rus) AG2R La Mondiale at 1m 3secs03
    3. Cyril Dessel (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale at 1m 17secs
    4. Dmitriy Fofonov (Kaz) Crédit Agricole
    5. Christian Knees (Ger) Team Milram
    6. Maxime Monfort (Bel) Cofidis
    7. Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Caisse d’Epargne

Let's stick to the actual facts when comparing Ricco to Froome.
  • RichN95.
    No Ricco's attack wasn't out of the blue. He had ridden the Giro that year and only came to the Tour "to win stages".

Let's stick to the actual facts when comparing Ricco to Froome.
    When I said it was out of the blue, I meant that there was no team set-up, no tactical foreplay. He just took off.
    Froome's successful attacks have come from a deliberately co-ordinated team strategy. They were planned, trained and executed. Ricco's was just a whim.
    Add to that Ricco could not ITT for his own life and Froome despite his weight can beat most larger and more powerful riders.
    Froome, as first year pro with only three team mates left, came 14th in the final 2008 Tour time-trial. The TT talent was there from the off.
  • And how many riders had dropped out by the final ITT in 2008?
  • RichN95.
    And how many riders had dropped out by the final ITT in 2008?
    35 of 180 starters. I think you'd be hard pressed to find another first year pro finishing in the top 20 of a final TT. Care to name one?
  • RichN95 wrote:
    35 of 180 starters. I think you'd be hard pressed to find another first year pro finishing in the top 20 of a final TT. Care to name one?

20% of the field at dropped out, it was the second to last stage ITT that most whom were out of contention didn't care about. There was also the Olympics in Beijing which many had left the race to prepare.

That's not very good criteria that you've set. It's one outlier result. You could easily say:

"How many first time Commonwealth Games riders finished Top 20 in the ITT"

Answer: Chris Froome in his running shoes according to Shane Sutton 8)
  • CuthbertC
    CuthbertC Posts: 172
    RichN95 wrote:

He turned professional in 2007.
  • CuthbertC wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

He turned professional in 2007.

A neo pro can be someone coming from the Continental division. 2008 was CF's first year outwith it.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Is there any way of ignoring threads? I know you can ignore users, but I'd like to be able to ignore threads like this. It's a bit like a moth to a light bulb, when I see a thread like this updated I can't help but look at it.

I come on here to enjoy chat about racing, cycling based punnery and moan about how bad modern bikes look. I don't want unending threads based on one or two individuals' desperation to try and prove certain riders and teams guilty of doping, based on flimsy/non-existent 'evidence' and some sort of unknown agenda.

Can anyone help?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Is there any way of ignoring threads? I know you can ignore users, but I'd like to be able to ignore threads like this. It's a bit like a moth to a light bulb, when I see a thread like this updated I can't help but look at it.

I come on here to enjoy chat about racing, cycling based punnery and moan about how bad modern bikes look. I don't want unending threads based on one or two individuals' desperation to try and prove certain riders and teams guilty of doping, based on flimsy/non-existent 'evidence' and some sort of unknown agenda.

Can anyone help?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-control

... :)
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Is there any way of ignoring threads? (stuff)
    Can anyone help?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-control

... :)

Failed already... :lol:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.