Best thing for Brekky?

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
Ok so some big changes at work mean that I am very unlikely to be getting chance to eat a proper lunch or even any lunch at all over the next 12 weeks. Long story short we are doing some network cabling in some new server farms and as such no food or drink is allowed. Technically we can leave to get a drink but its a massive pain as it involves sign out/sign in procedures followed by a LONG walk to the car park etc.

To that end on the days that I expect to be working flat out I need to be able to eat something that will give me as much energy/good nutrition etc as possible and to keep me full as long as possible. Initially I thought about tweaking my current bowl of porridge, Currently I have 2 scoops of oats with skimmed milk and a drizzle of honey but this aint gonna cut it so I thought about the the following:

4 scoops of oats (double the amount) with skimmed milk
handful dried goji berries
handful of dried blueberries
1/2 scoop of protein powder (bog standard whey protein nothing fancy)
drizzle honey

All the above washed down with as much water as I can drink in the van on the way to site plus a multi vitamin - I can usually drink about 2-3 pints of water without needing to burst I seem to hold onto water for hours on end so I would not need to pee until the afternoon anyway. Hopefully that will keep me hydrated until 4pm when we finish.

Any other suggestions - I need something that will potentially sustain a 84kg bloke for up to 8 hours ? Also needs to be something that will not break the bank so fancy supplements / gels etc are out the question.

Comments

• mr_eddy
    P.s I have a mild nut allergy so nut bars / peanuts etc are out.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd have thought a walk to the car park would be a nice change ? Is it healthy or legal to go that long without lunch - depending on what intensity you work at ?
  • mr_eddy
    Its not intense work but the nature of the work means there are all sorts of security measures in place. Whilst you are free to leave at anytime (they are not forcing you to work a full 8 hours) in reality there will be times when leaving the job unattended to spend 20-30 mins getting through security and to the car park is not ideal so I just wanted to know if there are any other things that I can do to keep me going.
  • mr_eddy
    Basically the faster and more efficiently we can get this contract done then the better the chance of us getting a much more lucrative and better future perm. contract - That would in turn mean a healthy pay rise for me so if that means working 8 hours straight for a few days during the week for 12 weeks then so be it. Any other breakfast items that can give as much bang for buck as oats or am I best to just stuck with what I suggested ?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    I'd probably want some eggs if I was planning to keep going for that long without further food. Maybe a couple poached on wholemeal toast in addition to your porridge.
  • Why not just have something proper that isn't breakfast food, like pasta?

If you want breakfast, I'd eat a load of eggs.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    All the documentaries I've ever seen on keeping you feeling full for longer suggest protein. So if you have time go for porridge then something like ham and eggs or an omelette?

Sounds inhumane though; I hope it's worth it in the end...
  • fenix
    I do find a nice bacon and egg batch fills me up for a long time.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Are they allowed to starve you? Surely food breaks are the law?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bugger 20 minutes legally. Might as well be back down the pits.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Change jobs. Sounds sh1t.
    If I went to a job and they said I couldnt drink water or made you feel guilty for leaving and doing so, I would get a new career.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    Sounds like the guy likes his job, why put him down for it? Some like things a bit different, challenging and sometimes stretching you in a way that's not entirely comfortable. He's not being forced to do it, he's investing his time this way because he can see the returns down the road.

If I was in his shoes I'd stick with porridge TBH, it's a pretty good foundation. Maybe mix it up with omelettes or pancakes occasionally. And keep some emergency stash (soreen or similar) in the car for the days when you just need to have some more.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Because its the internet and I can be a keyboard warrior.... lol
    Go for the Alex Ferguson pre game meal - 2 lemon sole followed by toast & honey.
    Not sure why you cant have some cereals bars or similar in your pockets and just have a bit every now and again.
  • fenix
    I guess crumbs and server farms aren't a good mix ? Also he's nut allergic - so doubly bad.
  • Keep your own chickens and have a TRUE organic egg (or eggs) every morning.

Ours are completely different to the 'Free Range' ones in the shops. Much darker yolks, much bigger, much tastier.

I've seen some of the 'organic' chicken farms in our area and it sure ain't like the picture they draw on the box. No grass, no insects, little space, etc. etc.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Whole milk is a better choice than skimmed.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    Lightweights, the lot of you.

Follow the breakfast advice and behaviours of James Hunt as it didn't degrade his speed.

sexbreaky.jpg
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • mr_eddy wrote:
    Basically the faster and more efficiently we can get this contract done then the better the chance of us getting a much more lucrative and better future perm. contract - That would in turn mean a healthy pay rise for me so if that means working 8 hours straight for a few days during the week for 12 weeks then so be it. Any other breakfast items that can give as much bang for buck as oats or am I best to just stuck with what I suggested ?

SO basically undercutting work regulations... what the all Brexit saga was based upon, assuming only immigrants would do that... :twisted:

Anyway... I would start with a porridge (5-6 large spoons of oats in milk) and then continue with a healthy portion of scrambled eggs (2 or 3) and baked beans (half a can)... that is a sound, protein rich breakfast that won't break the bank
    left the forum March 2023
  • mr_eddy
    Look just to clarify the company are NOT forcing us to work all day and we are of course entitled to our usual breaks but as previously mentioned the act of getting out to a suitable place to have a bite to eat/drink is a massive pain in the a**e as it involves 2 security gates and a bag check then a long walk to the car park -

Yes - I do like my job and if this contract goes well and we can wrap up ahead of time (by doing some all day jobs etc) then we are on for a better contract which is a pay increase for me of £10k a year so clearly I am not going to sacrifice that just so I can exercise my right to have a bite to eat mid-day.

Some good advice tho otherwise so ta - Maybe I will just put some bacon rashes on top of the oats and just buff it all down!!
  • jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 131
    Aye, porridge and as many eggs as you can get down you, the bacon will make it palatable

Then, taking a leaf out of Papillion, a flap jack secreted up your ‘arris for later
  • mr_eddy wrote:

Some good advice tho otherwise so ta - Maybe I will just put some bacon rashes on top of the oats and just buff it all down!!

Bear in mind bacon, like ANY processed and cured meat contains bags of nitrite, which is a well know carcinogenic...
    left the forum March 2023
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    well you are not going to die if you miss lunch ... it will just be uncomfortable and you might get grumpy. for me, no matter how much I eat, by 1pm I will be hungry again, so I would forget trying to stay full, instead I would work on concealing food on your person.

you need food that fits in to the surroundings and wont attract attention

(1) Sausage in your front trouser pocket
    (2) Candy bracelet around your wrist
    (3) string cheese necklace
    (4) monster munch rings
    (5) hoola hoop earings
    (6) couple of rolls (your choice of filling) in your shirt pockets (with a jumper on top of course)

yeah, you might look a little like a transvestite .. but hey, you wont go hungry
  • Or work on a hamster strategy of concealing food for later in your cheeks.
  • mrb123
    Half a dozen quails eggs packed into a condom and inserted up the rectum. Edible Chinese love beads!
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Or work on a hamster strategy of concealing food for later in your cheeks.

just don't sit down
  • One thing I read about eggs for breakfast, paprika in scrambled eggs on toast helps wake your system up. Something about a chemical in paprika stimulates the energy release in cells I think.

Another one thing I've read about using turmeric in scrambled eggs. Can't.remember the effect that spice has but it's another little additive that's supposed to help our bodies out.

I'm a poor one for breakfasts. I used to.miss them out because I just threw it all up again getting ready. Used to take about 2 his before I could eat breakfast and giving me.that time in the morning wasn't feasible. I've had to slowly train myself to stomach breakfasts. Heber weekends I just.don't feel like breakfast. So the only.thing I will eat is scrambled eggs. That's what I eat, three eggs scrambled with paprika and sometimes turmeric in. IMHO I think it gives me something other foods haven't. That is partly because it's easy to take in but once eaten I seem to perk up quicker than cereals.

Different issues to your problem OP but I'd suggest adding eggs with either paprika or turmeric. Three or four eggs last me just about until lunchtime. Porridge lasts 2 hours at most for me.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    The real issue may be the proximity to the nearest bog!!

A full bowl of porridge followed by eggs and bacon will eventually have an effect. If you have to go through the security etc to have a dump.....
  • mrb123
    Navrig2 wrote:
    The real issue may be the proximity to the nearest bog!!

A full bowl of porridge followed by eggs and bacon will eventually have an effect. If you have to go through the security etc to have a dump.....

Presumably the employer issues staff with nappies to ensure they can remain in situ for the full 8 hours without unnecessary diversions to the toilet.
  • I though eggs had the opposite. Always seem to with me. They're used in cooking to bind stuff so I could believe that effect in humans. Now baked beans especially if they're chilli flavoured would possibly clear me by lunchtime.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Just eat a bit more of your normal breakfast, you soon adapt, I skipped lunch for 2 years during my A levels, used the dinner money plus p/t jobto run my Vespa and social life. I was also 2 stone lighter than I am now, think I may have to start doing it again.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]