Tour de celeb

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    mamba80 wrote:
    Have enjoyed that, they all did very well, its easy for us lot, bought up on bikes and with years of training to sneer but these folk (Amy and Austin aside) know nowt about sport, let alone cycling.
    I'm with you in that cricket is not a proper sport. :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    PBlakeney wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Have enjoyed that, they all did very well, its easy for us lot, bought up on bikes and with years of training to sneer but these folk (Amy and Austin aside) know nowt about sport, let alone cycling.

I'm with you in that cricket is not a proper sport. :lol:

so true, standing around, watching India hit double century after double century, no wonder he took up cycling :shock:
  • Did they do the full route? Said 122km on TV graphic but was a 146km ride.
  • pblakeney
    lochindaal wrote:
    Did they do the full route? Said 122km on TV graphic but was a 146km ride.
    Dunno. They appear to have stooped catch-up since Ep3. On my devices at least. Phone app, PC, Amazon Fire. Can't say that I'm too disappointed.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Well whenever anyone boasts about completing l'etape now I'll point out that Louis spence and a couple of other complete novices did it on 8 weeks of training.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    I'm a little bit disgusted that some of them completed it actually. I appreciate rolling round 70odd miles in 9 hours isn't anything to shout about (The ride was shortened this year to 122km or thereabouts wasn't it?) however, this is meant to be Le'tap for gods sake! Watching people that the day before couldn't go round a hairpin bend without bursting into tears suddenly be able to descend 3 categorised climbs in the Alps? No i'm not buying it.
    I figure for the non educated viewer. People like my Mum, or Sharon down the road watching that knob from Chelsea, it was a great show, full of drama and watching their favourite reality stars overcome all their fears to ride in the Tour of France, but for you and me, something's not been right all the way through, not teaching any of them how to unclip properly, not showing them how to go down an alpine descent properly, there was a reason that idiot went through several tubes in one downhill segment.

Anyway, it was nice to see road cycling on the telly in a normal way, but it was a bit dumbed down and convenient for my liking.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Well whenever anyone boasts about completing l'etape now I'll point out that Louis spence and a couple of other complete novices did it on 8 weeks of training.
    Mike wrote:
    but for you and me, something's not been right all the way through,

This was my conclusion. Either they were never really the clueless, demotivated noobs they were portrayed as or the Etap is a piece of p**s to complete (if you walk part of the way).

I know it's 'reality' TV but I'd have actually liked to see how they progressed and what they did to achieve that progress. Something to actually inspire and motivate more to take up the sport rather than scare with near misses, falling off and puking.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i think what you can take from that is the etape in 2016 was easy for anyone with a base level of fitness
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • LukeTC
    LukeTC Posts: 211
    GrenW wrote:
    I know it's 'reality' TV but I'd have actually liked to see how they progressed and what they did to achieve that progress. Something to actually inspire and motivate more to take up the sport rather than scare with near misses, falling off and puking.
    QFT. I got the feeling it did very little to encourage new people to try cycling out. The GF who was not too far off being convinced to start coming out with me was put off somewhat, "if that's what you get up to in your spare time then I want nothing to do with it."

Back to square one lol
  • As an entertainment programme it was great, but like many others it seems a little far fetched that they all got round. Some of them obviously had some general fitness which is always a good start but come on, some of them couldn't actually ride a bike!!

You are not telling me they could handle alpine climbs after 8 weeks, and let's face it, it wasn't 8 weeks training was it? Jody Kidd did it off about 2 weeks training on a bike that had mechanical after mechanical. Most of them (allegedly) couldn't even take a hand of the bars to drink or eat, not being able to do that and getting round the Etape is a big jump, no?
  • 3451_COD_14342.JPG

Was that the kind of inspiring images they broadcast?
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    edited December 2016
    Mike wrote:
    I'm a little bit disgusted that some of them completed it actually. I appreciate rolling round 70odd miles in 9 hours isn't anything to shout about (The ride was shortened this year to 122km or thereabouts wasn't it?) however, this is meant to be Le'tap for gods sake! Watching people that the day before couldn't go round a hairpin bend without bursting into tears suddenly be able to descend 3 categorised climbs in the Alps? No i'm not buying it.
    I figure for the non educated viewer. People like my Mum, or Sharon down the road watching that knob from Chelsea, it was a great show, full of drama and watching their favourite reality stars overcome all their fears to ride in the Tour of France, but for you and me, something's not been right all the way through, not teaching any of them how to unclip properly, not showing them how to go down an alpine descent properly, there was a reason that idiot went through several tubes in one downhill segment.

Anyway, it was nice to see road cycling on the telly in a normal way, but it was a bit dumbed down and convenient for my liking.

I'm with you on that, Mike. Although the route was shortened by one mountain (landslide), it was still a very hard ride, one my girlfriend did (experienced rider) who stopped four times up the last hill, yet, all this lot just seemed to breeze through with an obligatory 'whew, that's was hard?'
    I, too, wondered how Lucy, who couldn't ride down off a pavement, the next day managed to get off Joux Plane, a very technical descent, and one they didn't show much footage of ??!!!
    • 3451_COD_14342.JPG

Was that the kind of inspiring images they broadcast?

Actually yes !
    • Mike wrote:

Not sure how seriously to take your initial rantings based on the fact that you don't even know the name of the event that they were riding. Just to help you out, it's the Etape. Or as they say in France, l'etape du Tour.

You've missed the point that some other posters also did. Having them fall and generally look incompetent makes for good telly, which is what they are trying to make. The Etape this year, whilst shortened, was still a very hard day out but as they have shown, given 8 solid weeks of preparation, it is achievable. I know experienced cyclists that were walking on the Joux Plain so it's unfair to criticise anyone for that. And as for the comment someone made about that Lucy being able to handle a 'technical' descent. Maybe she just went really slowly?

Cycling isn't as tough as we make out if you approach it properly and behind the scenes these guys likely did just that.
    • Cycling isn't as tough as we make out if you approach it properly and behind the scenes these guys likely did just that.
      As one of them was stuck at the side of the road for 45 minutes because he couldn't repair a puncture on his own I doubt that.

I think some of them got very lucky that the course was cut by 24km that included a climb or they could never have beaten the broom wagon by walking.

I think it is a shame as people who have worked hard to complete a full Etape have had that undervalued when you see some of those who finished.
    • lochindaal wrote:
      Cycling isn't as tough as we make out if you approach it properly and behind the scenes these guys likely did just that.
      As one of them was stuck at the side of the road for 45 minutes because he couldn't repair a puncture on his own I doubt that.

I think some of them got very lucky that the course was cut by 24km that included a climb or they could never have beaten the broom wagon by walking.

I think it is a shame as people who have worked hard to complete a full Etape have had that undervalued when you see some of those who finished.

I know plenty of regular cyclists who struggle to replace a tube. They may well have been lucky that the course was shortened but they can only ride the course that is presented to them on the day.

I don't see having these guys finish is 'undermining' other peoples rides. The Etape is not a race, it's a challenge and despite their questionable preparation, they got round. I'm not certain but I think that they used the entire 8 weeks to prepare rather than fitting it in around another job, that makes a massive difference.

The sour grapes and bitterness around this program is pretty pathetic really.
    • slowbike
      slowbike Posts: 8,498
      I must admit I was a bit disappointed that not a single one of them failed to complete the course - even the walking Angelica managed to overtake poor Hugo with 2 punctures - suggesting that perhaps she's not as slow as the programme made out ...
      As for Lucy - going from "I can't ride down an open road" to completing alpine descents in what must've been a reasonable time - selective editing/over dramatisation probably.

For me, I would've liked to have seen a lot more of the technical coaching rather than the constant "falling off" - some of which looked a bit deliberate - but then it wasn't really aimed at us.
      I still struggle to believe they went from zero to hero in 8 weeks - even full time training that's a remarkable turn around. It would've been interesting to hear how much time they spent in the saddle - rather more than suggested I think...

Kudos to the celebs for completing it - I'd like to have a go one year ... :)
    • bompington
      bompington Posts: 7,674
      Slowbike wrote:
      going from "I can't ride down an open road" to completing alpine descents in what must've been a reasonable time - selective editing/over dramatisation probably
      Have you never watched Strictly or Dancing on Ice? Every time it's the same - the little training montage of slips and errors accompnaied by banal voiceovers about how difficult it all is. Followed by a performance they nail because they've had all week to practise.
    • svetty
      svetty Posts: 1,904
      Mike wrote:
      Not sure how seriously to take your initial rantings based on the fact that you don't even know the name of the event that they were riding. Just to help you out, it's the Etape. Or as they say in France, l'etape du Tour.

....I know experienced cyclists that were walking on the Joux Plain so it's unfair to criticise anyone for that....

Before pointing out Mike's typo I think you need to check on the spelling of Joux Plane....... :lol:
      FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
    • slowbike
      slowbike Posts: 8,498
      bompington wrote:
      Slowbike wrote:
      going from "I can't ride down an open road" to completing alpine descents in what must've been a reasonable time - selective editing/over dramatisation probably
      Have you never watched Strictly or Dancing on Ice? Every time it's the same - the little training montage of slips and errors accompnaied by banal voiceovers about how difficult it all is. Followed by a performance they nail because they've had all week to practise.
      True

Perhaps the programme directors should start aiming the output at a slightly higher inteligence level - I'm sure there are enough of us who'd like to see snippets of the detail that goes in - be that dancing or cycling - it's not like we need to see 1/2hour of Angelica trying to clip in ... a few seconds showing her being told how to do it followed by an unsuccessful attempt and later - clipped in ok.
    • keef66
      keef66 Posts: 13,123
      I've only managed about 10 minutes on catch-up. Saw a portly ex-cricketer vomiting on a grass verge, an extremely camp dancer crashing repeatedly to the tarmac, and a young woman screaming when trying to negotiate a corner or go down hill, and absolutely hysterical if required to do both at once.

I think 10 minutes was about enough for me.
    • From the looks of her official photos, she'd have been better off without cleats.
    • pblakeney
      This. Very much this. I completed the Marmot Classic Cols of the Pyrenees Challenge Route this year. Roughly the Etape six days in a row. Fair enough, I am an experienced cyclist with a base fitness and I did train but with sensible gearing and pacing, it was easy. Surprisingly easy.
      Veronese68 wrote:
    • keef66
      keef66 Posts: 13,123
      PBlakeney wrote:
      This. Very much this. I completed the Marmot Classic Cols of the Pyrenees Challenge Route this year. Roughly the Etape six days in a row. Fair enough, I am an experienced cyclist with a base fitness and I did train but with sensible gearing and pacing, it was easy. Surprisingly easy.

But do you think this program would have given that impression to anyone unfamiliar with cycling?
    • bianchimoon
      bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
      lochindaal wrote:

I know plenty of regular cyclists who struggle to replace a tube. They may well have been lucky that the course was shortened but they can only ride the course that is presented to them on the day.

I don't see having these guys finish is 'undermining' other peoples rides. The Etape is not a race, it's a challenge and despite their questionable preparation, they got round. I'm not certain but I think that they used the entire 8 weeks to prepare rather than fitting it in around another job, that makes a massive difference.

The sour grapes and bitterness around this program is pretty pathetic really.
      100% agree Rodrego, some pathetic whining just because some 'celebs' managed to ride a route that they would find challenging/hard/impossible. Get over yourselves ffs
      All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
    • bompington
      bompington Posts: 7,674
      But they're not Real Cyclists!

It's a common enough cry in all kinds of contexts on this forum, though rarely expressed quite so explicitly.
    • pblakeney
      keef66 wrote:
      PBlakeney wrote:

But do you think this program would have given that impression to anyone unfamiliar with cycling?
      No.
      And mores the pity. I really, really enjoyed a week that I thought would kill me.
      Veronese68 wrote:
    • peat
      peat Posts: 1,242
      The '8 weeks' thing is TV nonsense. They were training for months beforehand. Well, at least 2 of them were.

Anyway, I quite enjoyed it in a punishing sort of way. I watched each episode in about 20mins, fast forwarding through most of the guff.

The one thing that continually razzed me off (other than calling Sportive's 'races' and overblowing the danger) was that they taped all the mic receivers etc to the backs of their helmets. Sort of defeats the object of wearing a helmet if you're going to strap hard, heavy things to them.
    • How on earth can a thread that should be dedicated to admiring Jodie Kidd and Amy Williams in lycra (again, in the latter case) have ended up on thresholds of forumites? You lot should be ashamed!
      Don't forget Lucy.....as long as I have a face she has a place to sit :D:D
      Lapierre Aircode 300
      Merida
    • mike1-2
      mike1-2 Posts: 456
      Mike wrote:

You've missed the point that some other posters also did. Having them fall and generally look incompetent makes for good telly, which is what they are trying to make. The Etape this year, whilst shortened, was still a very hard day out but as they have shown, given 8 solid weeks of preparation, it is achievable. I know experienced cyclists that were walking on the Joux Plain so it's unfair to criticise anyone for that. And as for the comment someone made about that Lucy being able to handle a 'technical' descent. Maybe she just went really slowly?

For clarity I was mostly being facetious. I assume that didn't carry across too well :lol: