Tour de celeb

Comments

• Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    Entertaining last night: Healey is so dry with his comments and eyebrow raising to see everyone got round the 135K course. Everyone, that is, except the 'posh twat.' Not just that he went AWOL, but led his team mates right up the path and then ditched them - no wonder this morally-screwed-up idiot is single and, I suspect, destined to remain so
  • Jerry185 wrote:
    Entertaining last night: Healey is so dry with his comments and eyebrow raising to see everyone got round the 135K course. Everyone, that is, except the 'posh fool.' Not just that he went AWOL, but led his team mates right up the path and then ditched them - no wonder this morally-screwed-up idiot is single and, I suspect, destined to remain so

Just needs a good slap and then made to leave the show in a humiliating manner, but I guess the producers will view it as good TV. The film crew were there for his packing so clearly no surprise for them, I do in fact wonder if it was scripted as so many reality TV shows seem to be these days
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    I do in fact wonder if it was scripted as so many reality TV shows seem to be these days

Never ceases to amaze me how folk are so quick to take this stuff at face value. Imagine how dull it would be without the tantrums and the late night alcohol sessions. I suspect they are all working much harder than the show implies - certainly I doubt many of them would have completed the White Rose Classic unless they really had all been taking it seriously. That or them finishing was faked.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Rolf F wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    I do in fact wonder if it was scripted as so many reality TV shows seem to be these days

Never ceases to amaze me how folk are so quick to take this stuff at face value. Imagine how dull it would be without the tantrums and the late night alcohol sessions. I suspect they are all working much harder than the show implies - certainly I doubt many of them would have completed the White Rose Classic unless they really had all been taking it seriously. That or them finishing was faked.

Totally agree, no matter how many times it's mentioned it is first entertainment for the masses and secondly based on cycling
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Just about anyone could get round that sportive given a bit of training surely, its not that hard.

What I find more pathetic is that some of them have no desire to hurt themselves a bit on the hills, or keep falling off, they should ditch Angelica, she's pathetic.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    okgo wrote:
    Just about anyone could get round that sportive given a bit of training surely, its not that hard.

What I find more pathetic is that some of them have no desire to hurt themselves a bit on the hills, or keep falling off, they should ditch Angelica, she's pathetic.
    I disagree with this, she's slow granted, but she's got the determination to complete the task. Speed isn't the be all and end all
  • Tashman wrote:
    This is entertainment people, not a documentary. Just take it for what it is.
    +1

Its poor but at least its about bikes.
  • bianchimoon
    okgo wrote:

she's a star, she obviously finds it the hardest out of everyone, the pedals, the speed, the distance... but she just got on with it.. with a smile, and finished
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • okgo
    Tashman wrote:
    okgo wrote:

I disagree with this, she's slow granted, but she's got the determination to complete the task. Speed isn't the be all and end all

1. She hasn't, she gets off and walks
    2. Yes, actually, it is.
    3. She finds it hard, yes, because she is not willing to train or try!!!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • bianchimoon
    okgo wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    okgo wrote:

2. Yes, actually, it is.

i see you have trouble understanding this, but i'll try again it's channel fekin 5 not Eurosport
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    okgo wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    okgo wrote:

1. She hasn't, she gets off and walks - Still completing the distance though under her own steam
    2. Yes, actually, it is. - Agree to disagree, the challenge is to complete the stage, not complete in the least tie possible!
    - We actually seee very little of what they're putting in outside of the events
  • okgo
    okgo wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    okgo wrote:

2. Yes, actually, it is.

i see you have trouble understanding this, but i'll try again it's channel fekin 5 not Eurosport

Its pathetic whichever channel its on.

Actually the whole show is an embarrassment.

We see her get off at the slightest hill, we see her fall off over and over again, I mean, there are 3 year olds that can ride a bike better than her.
  • bianchimoon
    okgo wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    okgo wrote:

2. Yes, actually, it is.

We see her get off at the slightest hill, we see her fall off over and over again, I mean, there are 3 year olds that can ride a bike better than her.
    crikey, you're genuinely upset aren't you :lol::lol::lol:
  • okgo
    I was on the turbo at the time, so anything is less mind numbing than that. But I think I'll just stare at the wall next time.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    So how many and who actually have a chance of completing the etape? No spoilers if you already know.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Seriously what was anyone expecting from this? All of them being competent riders and not having a problem either in training or on the day itself would make pretty terrible viewing. From what I've seen so far, their experiences have closely mirrored those of people who have targeted the etape and started 'training' for it on Jan 1st. As a guide though, the last big group that BSkyB sent to the Etape consisting of many beginners had roughly a 70% failure rate. Lets see if the slebs do better than that.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Whether anyone enjoys viewing it or not comes down to the individual's own threshold for watching Z category celebs and crap TV reality shows.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • So how many and who actually have a chance of completing the etape? No spoilers if you already know.

Having only seen 5 minutes of it, I think it's unlikely that Louis will complete.
  • bianchimoon
    So how many and who actually have a chance of completing the etape? No spoilers if you already know.

Having only seen 5 minutes of it, I think it's unlikely that Louis will complete.
    these programme directors/editors have a way of leading you down a path before.....
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Yes every week the apprentice team that look like they've won the challenge have in fact lost it. It's all in the editing.

I do like people whinging about it though. Like they''ve been forced to watch it at gunpoint or something...
  • So how many and who actually have a chance of completing the etape? No spoilers if you already know.

these programme directors/editors have a way of leading you down a path before.....

To be fair, it's the most of anything I've watched on channel 5 in several years. Seeing Louis Spence vomiting hasn't persuaded me I've made a terrible mistake all this time.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    okgo wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    okgo wrote:

2. Yes, actually, it is.

Oh to be as magnificent as you, even as a complete novice to the sport. I bow humbly before you oh great one.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Wow. That escalated.
  • Coming up after the break...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    The next forumite safe and posting again next week is...

... to be announced after the break
  • okgo
    philthy3 wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    okgo wrote:

2. Yes, actually, it is.

Oh to be as magnificent as you, even as a complete novice to the sport. I bow humbly before you oh great one.

Well clearly that is unlikely to happen. But to expect a grown adult to be able to stay on a bike isn't much to ask for when I can find videos of dogs riding fucking skateboards.
  • What I think the real issue here is that we have people who class themselves as 'proper' cyclists and if the truth be known, are slightly bitter that a no-mark non-cyclist is being given all these opportunities to complete an event when for all of their lives, they have just plugged away and done it all under their own steam. Combine that with the fact that in reality, getting round the Etape with 6 weeks training is pretty do-able and the wolf thing will really grate with 'real' cyclists. I bet they are all watching and telling their partners that they could kick Austins arse in a 10.

With cycling becoming more mainstream, this is the kind of entertainment that tv companies think will appeal to the segment of the public that are now interested in cycling. They aren't trying to appeal to the guys that wait all year before buying a winter jersey in case Lidl have them in stock one weekend. A large amount of the population will relate to Darren Gough, Austin Healey, Jodie Kidd, etc, etc as they are familiar with them and seeing them outside of their comfort zone and falling off will make them less conscious about it when they ride a bike. Cycling is still very much a closed shop and this program will go to show the normal bloke on the street that with a bit of hard work they can ride a bike properly.

Just think yourselves lucky they didn't have a 10m tt challenge, that would really put a few noses out of joint!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    okgo wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    okgo wrote:

2. Yes, actually, it is.

Well clearly that is unlikely to happen. But to expect a grown adult to be able to stay on a bike isn't much to ask for when I can find videos of dogs riding ******* skateboards.

Believe it or not, there are people in their mid life years who have never ridden a bike, my brother in law for one, but then he's an American so a tit by nature. To be getting on a bike for the first time, then be having to use clips taking away their safety blanket in the event of a wobble, won't be an easy task to undertake. If you try and judge them by the standards of an average cyclist, you do them a disservice. Yes Hugo is a pillock and needs a good shoeing because he is simply a lazy, silver spoon in the mouth job who is used to buying everything he wants, and the others have certain undesirable character traits like all of us. As for fitness; just because somebody isn't obese doesn't make them fit. Angelica may do what she does, but won't be cycling fit and will find hills a struggle. She said she didn't want to attempt them with clips and would have continued trying to ride up them if she had normal pedals. A butcher can easily lift half a cow off the wagon, but ask them to bench press the same weight and they'd struggle and vice-versa with the weight lifter.

Give them a break, they're beginners. I still ride with people that have been riding for a couple of years and struggle with hills and aren't very quick. Hell I ride with one person that brakes downhill! I'm not quick averaging 18mph at 55 years old with a dicky heart and having had a stroke, but I don't judge them because they can't even match sickly me. It's a hobby not a duty.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Cycling is not a matter of life and death.
    No it's more important than that. :D
  • I'm not quick averaging 18mph at 55 years old with a dicky heart and having had a stroke, but I don't judge them because they can't even match sickly me. It's a hobby not a duty.

F#$@ me Im 52 and super healthy compared to your history and would give anything to go that fast even for 30 mins or so. Please tell me thats an average over no more than 10miles!