Tour de celeb

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I'm not quick averaging 18mph at 55 years old with a dicky heart and having had a stroke, but I don't judge them because they can't even match sickly me. It's a hobby not a duty.

F#$@ me Im 52 and super healthy compared to your history and would give anything to go that fast even for 30 mins or so. Please tell me thats an average over no more than 10miles!

It doesn't matte what anyone else does. Just enjoy what you're doing. I'd love to do 20mph solo averages over 50-100 miles but I know it won't happen.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    philthy3 wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    Just about anyone could get round that sportive given a bit of training surely, its not that hard.

What I find more pathetic is that some of them have no desire to hurt themselves a bit on the hills, or keep falling off, they should ditch Angelica, she's pathetic.
    I disagree with this, she's slow granted, but she's got the determination to complete the task. Speed isn't the be all and end all

1. She hasn't, she gets off and walks
    2. Yes, actually, it is.
    3. She finds it hard, yes, because she is not willing to train or try!!!

i see you have trouble understanding this, but i'll try again it's channel fekin 5 not Eurosport

Its pathetic whichever channel its on.

Actually the whole show is an embarrassment.

We see her get off at the slightest hill, we see her fall off over and over again, I mean, there are 3 year olds that can ride a bike better than her.

Oh to be as magnificent as you, even as a complete novice to the sport. I bow humbly before you oh great one.

Well clearly that is unlikely to happen. But to expect a grown adult to be able to stay on a bike isn't much to ask for when I can find videos of dogs riding ******* skateboards.

Believe it or not, there are people in their mid life years who have never ridden a bike, my brother in law for one, but then he's an American so a tit by nature. To be getting on a bike for the first time, then be having to use clips taking away their safety blanket in the event of a wobble, won't be an easy task to undertake. If you try and judge them by the standards of an average cyclist, you do them a disservice. Yes Hugo is a pillock and needs a good shoeing because he is simply a lazy, silver spoon in the mouth job who is used to buying everything he wants, and the others have certain undesirable character traits like all of us. As for fitness; just because somebody isn't obese doesn't make them fit. Angelica may do what she does, but won't be cycling fit and will find hills a struggle. She said she didn't want to attempt them with clips and would have continued trying to ride up them if she had normal pedals. A butcher can easily lift half a cow off the wagon, but ask them to bench press the same weight and they'd struggle and vice-versa with the weight lifter.

Give them a break, they're beginners. I still ride with people that have been riding for a couple of years and struggle with hills and aren't very quick. Hell I ride with one person that brakes downhill! I'm not quick averaging 18mph at 55 years old with a dicky heart and having had a stroke, but I don't judge them because they can't even match sickly me. It's a hobby not a duty.

I'm not comparing them to me.

I have actually just found a video of a monkey riding a motorbike on youtube, but these lot can't stay on a bike despite being humans. Hilarious.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • But you are comparing them to yourself. Which is a shame really as I expect their improvement curve is far more impressive than your own one, which might be where all this rage is coming from. I'd put money on Austin Healey being able to beat you, and with a bit of time that moron Hugo probably would too ;-)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Pretty sure monkeys have a better sense of balance than humans anyway ? I'd like to see the average cyclist swing from tree to tree ?

Seriously Mr okgo - you need to check out novice cycling events people fall off all the time. It's not limited to celebrities.

I bet you'd be crap at hosting a TV programme but Angelica could do it without batting an eyelash.
  • okgo
    But you are comparing them to yourself. Which is a shame really as I expect their improvement curve is far more impressive than your own one, which might be where all this rage is coming from. I'd put money on Austin Healey being able to beat you, and with a bit of time that moron Hugo probably would too ;-)

I'm not, I'm comparing them to children, animals, yes people fall off at first when clipped in, but really, she and Louis are still doing it, despite having done a fair bit of riding, I just can't get my head round that.

Anyway, we'll leave that there, its entertaining, obviously staged, but the total lack of any improvement in the above was quite bizarre to me.

Re your other points - without wanting to rise to your bait too much, if Angelica could complete the etape without walking, or falling off, I'd say her story would be greater than anyone in sport, Jamie Vardy esque even!

Re Healey, I'd take that bet all day long.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • okgo wrote:
    But you are comparing them to yourself. Which is a shame really as I expect their improvement curve is far more impressive than your own one, which might be where all this rage is coming from. I'd put money on Austin Healey being able to beat you, and with a bit of time that moron Hugo probably would too ;-)

I'm not, I'm comparing them to children, animals, yes people fall off at first when clipped in, but really, she and Louis are still doing it, despite having done a fair bit of riding, I just can't get my head round that.

Anyway, we'll leave that there, its entertaining, obviously staged, but the total lack of any improvement in the above was quite bizarre to me.

Re your other points - without wanting to rise to your bait too much, if Angelica could complete the etape without walking, or falling off, I'd say her story would be greater than anyone in sport, Jamie Vardy esque even!

It's an entertainment program involving cycling. What were you expecting?
  • okgo
    Some cycling :) Rather than rolling around in the road ;)
  • You should pay attention then, there has been some cycling in each episode so far.

At least now cycling is becoming more mainstream, the elitism / snobbery / cliques / mansplaining is disappearing. Aside from people such as yourself obviously.
  • I couldn't work out why they are in teams. Is there a reason?

Probably to add a modicum of tension to the dynamic. Them riding as individuals wouldn't mean all the whinging and sniping that will (the producers hope) ensue as some of them are just better and faster than the others. We've already seen this with the Hugo Goes To Glastonbury episode (and how the feck did he break a rib? I hope someone punched the over-privileged cockwomble whilst watching sodding Coldplay).

And people please don't talk about monkeys riding bikes - the Channel 5 programme commissioners might be listening :shock:

Probably to add a modicum of tension to the dynamic. Them riding as individuals wouldn't mean all the whinging and sniping that will (the producers hope) ensue as some of them are just better and faster than the others. We've already seen this with the Hugo Goes To Glastonbury episode (and how the feck did he break a rib? I hope someone punched the over-privileged cockwomble whilst watching sodding Coldplay).

And people please don't talk about monkeys riding bikes - the Channel 5 programme commissioners might be listening :shock:

Does the winning team get a higher fee?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    okgo wrote:

I doubt he's that bothered - what with his having played for England 51 times. I'd be reasonably confident his sporting record is more impressive than yours :roll:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • okgo
    What a strange comment.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    I couldn't work out why they are in teams. Is there a reason?

Given the number of DNF on the previous event, it was probably an attempt to get more commitment, as any failure to complete would be letting the team down, rather than just themselves. Clearly Hugo felt differently.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Is there a time limit/broom wagon on the Etape? Can only see three of them definitely doing it, and maybes 3 others.

Have a feeling more than one of them will be getting transported along the route in a car, and then videoed crossing the line, in order to make a wow factor for clueless folk watching.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • StillGoing
    okgo wrote:

It's an entertainment program involving cycling. What were you expecting?

Children's brains haven't developed logical reasoning to apprehend fear. A child has no realisation of what could happen if they fall off, an adult does. Well most. Where a child just sees the fun of trying to do something (until it goes wrong) an adult subconsciously calculates the risk in their mind and knows that a swift interface with the ground, in all probability, is going to hurt. Some people are also naturally uncoordinated in some things. If they're doing something they don't like - let's be honest, some of these Z list celebs are only doing it to a) get paid and b) promote their profile into the public arena again in the hope of drumming up some work, rather than thinking what a fantastic opportunity and let's have some of that - and failing to train in their own time with little to no interest, they're bound to keep making novice mistakes.

Jamie Vardy is a chav thug and one trick pony.

Austin Healey is a damn sight fitter than you are seemingly giving him credit. He is a cyclist doing many rides on the continent with Delaglio etc.
  • Svetty wrote:
    okgo wrote:

I doubt he's that bothered - what with his having played for England 51 times. I'd be reasonably confident his sporting record is more impressive than yours :roll:

I've read his blog, no doubt about that.

I simple fail to understand the vitriol directed at a bunch of bike riders of varying abilities who are trying to achieve something that is without question pretty tough. For an experienced bike rider, pacing oneself up a long alpine climb can be a challenge. For some of these, the entire route is going to be hard. Dealing with the madness of the bunches, the speed of the descents, the grade of the climbs and descents plus the heat etc. The production company are going to make the most of the beginner errors so there will be plenty of falling off. The emotion that the young pretty one showed this week at getting round is something that everyone should be able to relate to and is a great aspect of bike riding. Yes, there are some annoying people on the show but I bet there are annoying people in most bike events. And as for Austin, a mate of mine has ridden with him and he is a pretty decent bike rider. He knows that he is new at cycling and will listen and take advice - something many 'bike riders' with the same experience simply won't do. And he's a real tough nut so doesn't mind the suffering.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    okgo wrote:
    What a strange comment.

Oh c'mon - he's an ex Rugby player. Of course he will be a better cyclist than you! All ex Rugby players are bound to be better cyclists than all amateur cyclists by definition :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    What a strange comment.

Oh c'mon - he's an ex Rugby player. Of course he will be a better cyclist than you! All ex Rugby players are bound to be better cyclists than all amateur cyclists by definition :lol:

I bet he can jump higher too.
  • okgo
    Rolf F wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    What a strange comment.

His time round the etap suggests otherwise, but still good going for sure. Anyway, wasn't about AH, rather the rest of it. But there we are, perhaps I expected it to be something slightly other than what it is. You can search all of the people on the show to know what they did/if they did it etc, so I'll not need to watch any more :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    okgo wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    What a strange comment.

His time round the etap suggests otherwise, but still good going for sure. Anyway, wasn't about AH, rather the rest of it. But there we are, perhaps I expected it to be something slightly other than what it is. You can search all of the people on the show to know what they did/if they did it etc, so I'll not need to watch any more :D

My interpretation is that it is probably a worthy effort by the participants spoiled somewhat by a predictably stupid programme that feels the need to sensationalise things that really don't need sensationalising.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    So, what I have learned from this thread.

1) People can be quite angry at each other
    2) Cycling is harder than people expect and the etape will be tough in places people don't expect (to be honest, the first alpine descent I did i thought "bloody hell, this is mildy terrifying)"
    3) Whoever suggested the TT challenge is a genius. Find a non cyclist non sportsman, teach them to pace, give them good kit, and see how many of us they can beat at the club TT. For extra 'frisson', make sure they are braking as many rules as humanly possible "look look, HE'S USING A 750ML BOTTLE!"

I am rather disappinted that they didn't see my frankly herculian efforts on the track (episode 1) and elist me as an expert coach.

They should publish the FTP results, preferably inflated, just to upset us. "Did you see that posh twunt has an FTP of 3.9wpk!"
    Insert bike here:
  • lyn1
    Disappointed by some of the comments that suggest we have a cycling equivalent of this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00hhrwl
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    Well, I'm enjoying it even if the majority on here seem to be critical. Who'd have guessed eh?

Louis makes me laugh. His video on how to be safe on a bike made me chuckle. It's like any programme on a specific activity, the telly people dumb it down to cater for the plebiest of viewers.

I enjoy sailing and nearly every programme about the sport I've watched is about as interesting as watching paint dry to anyone with a modicum of knowledge about the sport.

Just be glad there's sometching about bikes on the box.
  • StillGoing
    lyn1 wrote:
    Disappointed by some of the comments that suggest we have a cycling equivalent of this:

I don't think anybody objects to those being born into privilege, just idiots like Hugo that have no backbone with it.
  • lyn1
    philthy3 wrote:
    lyn1 wrote:

I don't think anybody objects to those being born into privilege, just idiots like Hugo that have no backbone with it.

True, although I was relating it to being superior and looking down on others who are considered inferior (cyclists).
  • StillGoing
    lyn1 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    lyn1 wrote:

True, although I was relating it to being superior and looking down on others who are considered inferior (cyclists).

Ahh my mistake and I fully concur.
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    I've just caught up having watched 3 on the bounce. Its great. Austin shouldn't really be there. Darren is much better than I thought he'd be. Louis cracks me up. Hugo should be so much better. I'd have loved to that slim at 30. Amy and Lucy much fitter than I thought. Angelica impressing apart from walking those hills and Jodie massively impressive after that injury.
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Is there a time limit/broom wagon on the Etape? Can only see three of them definitely doing it, and maybes 3 others.

Have a feeling more than one of them will be getting transported along the route in a car, and then videoed crossing the line, in order to make a wow factor for clueless folk watching.

My girlfriend did it and remembers passing Angelica; I am guessing they put them out in an early slot so further away from the BW
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Have enjoyed that, they all did very well, its easy for us lot, bought up on bikes and with years of training to sneer but these folk (Amy and Austin aside) know nowt about sport, let alone cycling.