Just had hip replacement- any advice please

1235»

Comments

• That sounds like a great recovery Mac111051 ! It's an interesting comparison to the procedure in the UK even if the circumstances were so unfortunate. What are we going to do when the EHIC goes with the departure from the EC? ( That's not a political statement , but an observation on something that has always been reassuring when travelling in Europe - my father had his hip replaced in Spain after a fall under the EHIC scheme.)
    The danger of dislocation was drummed into me during my recovery and I was reminded to still not really push it at my year check- up.
    Hope the recoveries continue well!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    Dislocation ain't no big deal, it's just very strange and uncomfortable.

I'm sorry of that sounds a bit glib but I have had bi-lateral hip replacements and a hip revision (left) and now my right hip replacement is wearing out. I spent 3 and a half years with an open wound on my left leg following multiple operations to stem a post operative infection before an 11 week period with no hip, receiving anti-biotics through a Picc line to clean uo the site before the revision. Very odd to have no hip. That's only a snippet of the sh1t I have gone through.
    I met a 27 year old woman at the Oxford Nuffield Hospital following my hip extraction who's pelvis kept collapsing and they were struggling to get the acetabular cup to seat properly and securely. What sort of future was she going to have? She had 2 young kids and gave birth to her second when she had no cup in the pelvis. Pain relief was minimal due to her pregnancy. She could even joke about it. She was fine before pregnancy and had a fall, before anyone judges her for getting pregnant with hip problems.
    I'm see myself as lucky.

What am I saying? I am saying some of you people need to get over yourselves, mtfu and get on with it.
    I do not want a diary account following 1 hip replacement either - sorry Alistair A.
    If you want to come on here and people want to hear about your recovery, that's fine but I don't.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pinno wrote:
    What am I saying? I am saying some of you people need to get over yourselves, mtfu and get on with it.
    I do not want a diary account following 1 hip replacement either - sorry Alistair A.
    If you want to come on here and people want to hear about your recovery, that's fine but I don't.

Your choice, don't read it.

I'm out of here.

A
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • Many thanks Alistair for starting this topic it,s been very interesting and with seven pages of replies it must have helped a lot of people
    Mac
  • This was always the intention Mac and Alistair with the original postings as unfortunately it's an accident / operation that seems to affect quite a few cyclists. Earlier posts actually acknowledge the plight of many others who have suffered much worse things than a hip replacement and a recognition and respect for those affected / or who have a permanent disability. This continues to this day.
    A friend has just very recently had a hip replacement and he found the thread v informative before his op. There isn't always a great range of info out there for cyclists.
    BW
  • pinno
    There isn't always a great range of info out there for cyclists. BW

I quite agree though a THR is quite routine. Yes. it's going to piddle on your year averages and Strava PB's for a while, it's not life threatening and unless there are unforeseen complications, you will be back to normal in a short period of time.

I realise the intention of the original post but the thread has seemed to morph into some sort of diary. I wish Alistair A all the nest in his recovery and I hope he is back to full speed a.s.a.p.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Just past my 4 weeks post left posterior THR and am progressing pretty well. Won't bore you with the details.
    Started to read this thread but could not face trawling thorough 7 pages to find out if there was an answer in there to my query.

I'm keen to get back on my bike asap but realise that it will probably be a few weeks on a static bike before I can risk venturing out on the road again.

My question is - has anyone had any advice about the wisdom or otherwise of using standard clipless pedals. I use Look Classic and there are no issues clipping in but you do have to twist your foot outwards to release the pedal. Not sure if that twisting action is frowned upon for us hippies or if we can still use clipless once we are fit enough to get back on the bike.

Any experience out there would be welcome
  • Hi Arlowood,
    Best wishes on your recovery. I took my first ride outside clipped in at 14 weeks (Shimano) . I'd used the Wattbike prior to this clipped in with SPD s.
    Take medical advice, listen to your body and don't rush . Like you I was concerned re the unclipping motion. Take a look through the thread as some of us have posted some 'landmarks ' to try and help those like you who are recovering. We're all individuals and obviously do things at different times but hopefully you'll pick up some pointers.
    At 4 weeks still early with potential for dislocation. The Wattbike at the gym was great as very easy to get on and off as this is the greatest challenge when you are able to start. Do take medical opinion re full revolutions too.
    BW
  • pinno
    I started clipping in/out @ 6 weeks. I also released the tension (Look pedals) as much as possible but as in the above, listen to your body.
    You develop a gut instinct for anything that may cause discomfort.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    For the first few times I left the shoes attached to the pedals...
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Mikey23 wrote:
    For the first few times I left the shoes attached to the pedals...

Yeah - that's fine if you can guarantee riding without any stops for junctions, traffic lights, pedestrian crossings etc where you inevitably will have to unclip. I'm afraid my track standing skills were never very good at the best of times.
  • Arlo I think both me and Mikey are referring to using an indoor turbo / bike being clipped in on this before venturing outside. As Pinno says you develop a good sense of what you can / cannot do. I was warned about the full revolutions rather than any unclipping as such by my Physio. I enjoyed going back down to the gym for the social aspect as much as anything in the early days. I started off by just doing some walking in the studio and checking my gait etc in the mirrors there. Was also dependent on when I could begin to get my own boxers pulled up too in the changing room!
  • alistaird
    alistaird Posts: 290
    edited December 2017
    Pinno wrote:
    I started clipping in/out @ 6 weeks. I also released the tension (Look pedals) as much as possible but as in the above, listen to your body.
    You develop a gut instinct for anything that may cause discomfort.

Not wanting to annoy Pinno - but a relevant update... I got back on the Turbo Trainer at the weekend - just over 5 weeks after THR. I have Mavic pedals and loosened off the spring to minimum tension and find clipping in and out just fine. I lowered the saddle by 2-3 cm and put a gel pad on so that it is more comfortable sitting up - no hands style as suggested by my physio and also inverted the bars so they are levers up to prevent me leaning over as much when I get on and off. My operated leg is the right leg so getting on and off by swinging the operated leg over the saddle is fine for me.

A
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • pinno
    Yeah the turbo. I elected for a set of Tacx antares parabolic* (*whatever the hell that means) rollers with a T bar to attach the forks to. Less resistance than a TT. Much kinder.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Sorry, didnt fully read the post. I was talking about leaving shoes on inside on the turbo trainer...

First anniversary of going bionic today. Celebrated with a 45 miler to Boscastle and back in the sunshine. Some serious climbing getting out of these north cornwall seaside towns!
  • Nice ride Mikey! A good way to celebrate! :D
  • How,s every one doing, I,'ve got an entry for next year's Tour of Flanders, not told the wife yet, really hope it,s a dry day, still not got my confidence back on wet roads
    Mac
  • pinno
    mac111051 wrote:
    How,s every one doing, I,'ve got an entry for next year's Tour of Flanders, not told the wife yet, really hope it,s a dry day, still not got my confidence back on wet roads
    Mac

You're a brave man, good luck. Do you think you need to go over and do a recce?
  • Getting my confidence back took me about a year of riding after getting back on the bike following a sub-trochanter femur fracture. And I'm still descending like a girl (TM Bradley Wiggins) if the road is both downhill and damp/wet.

All this talk of small scars and fast recoveries. Mine runs from knee to hip,, and I was off the road for ten months.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • mac111051
    mac111051 Posts: 92
    Did the 140 KM tour of flanders, no problems, took my time kept off the racing line out of everyone's way, walked the Kopenberg, after a shower of rain it was virtually unridable, walked the Paterberge because l was knacked, twelve months to the day I was in the hospital at Oudenarde waiting to have a new hip fitted , went back to the hospital to say helo to the surgeon and he was pleased to see me and how well I had done, now on my way to Paris Roubaux only spektating , well and truly banned from that one
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    Well done. I had mine done 5 years ago next week and it's been great so far. A whole new lease of life compared to the pain and agony i was in before.

Never had an issue from the day and hour it was done. Squatted up to 125kg on it regularly on it as well.
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 444
    Nice ride Mac - a great way to mark the anniversary! Respect.
  • pinno
    Nice ride Mac - a great way to mark the anniversary! Respect.

+1 and well done.
  • steel191964
    steel191964 Posts: 32
    mac111051 wrote:
    Did the 140 KM tour of flanders, no problems, took my time kept off the racing line out of everyone's way, walked the Kopenberg, after a shower of rain it was virtually unridable, walked the Paterberge because l was knacked, twelve months to the day I was in the hospital at Oudenarde waiting to have a new hip fitted , went back to the hospital to say helo to the surgeon and he was pleased to see me and how well I had done, now on my way to Paris Roubaux only spektating , well and truly banned from that one

Well done Mac,

Its been 9 months after my op and things are nearly back to normal in terms of training , i do have one problem and that is if i go to hard 200+ watts for over an hour the muscles around the hip start to suffer and this pain creeps down to the knee, that used to stop me training the next day but not now so i suppose its improving.

Its a bit disappointing but i suppose patience is the key here as it is getting better, i''m due back in the UK soon so will see a physio then..at least when i get the other one replaced this time i will have some sort of guideline on recovery..

David
  • Four years on from my enforced hip replacement (Nov 2016) - see my starting post.
    Just posting to say how strong they are. I had an off riding my Mtb two days ago. Nothing serious, but clipped a small rock at about 13/14 mph which was enough to send me tumbling and landed fully on the replacement with only a bit of bruising as a result- dead impressed with the strength! ( and also pleased to be wearing a helmet too as cracked down on my head too!)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Listen to your doctor. DO THE THERAPY. DON"T PUSH IT.