Just had hip replacement- any advice please

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    dennisn wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    Maybe you need to get the moderators to remove the health bit from these threads. So that no one gives injury advice because clearly in your world once you are injured you are f**ked for life.
    Enjoy your day.

Now you're getting just lame with your replies.

Totally agree listen to your doctor, but my hip injury doesn't affect my bike riding it affects me walking and functioning whilst off the bike, so i don't see any reason once the injury has healed that i can't ride to my current fitness.

I also understand that the problem with after the intial op that its the damage the surgeon makes to the muscle that causes complications to sitting down putting on socks etc

In a perfect world we all go right back to doing what we were doing with zero issues. Now, "Webboo" lives in that perfect world so maybe you should talk to him. He, apparently, has never come across any athlete who has failed to return to his previous glory days because of injury. Not a one.
  • With elite athletes then yes injury can make a difference , depends on the sport ligaments snaps are a big problem but breaks not so much, for us mere mortals i believe a full recovery is expected certainly i expect to recover 100%
  • dennisn
    With elite athletes then yes injury can make a difference , depends on the sport ligaments snaps are a big problem but breaks not so much, for us mere mortals i believe a full recovery is expected certainly i expect to recover 100%
    Nothing wrong with expecting to recover fully. Being able to? Now that's another story. Humpty Dumpty sure as hell will never be the same and it's very possible that you will tear yourself up enough to not "make it back".
  • dennisn wrote:
    With elite athletes then yes injury can make a difference , depends on the sport ligaments snaps are a big problem but breaks not so much, for us mere mortals i believe a full recovery is expected certainly i expect to recover 100%
    Nothing wrong with expecting to recover fully. Being able to? Now that's another story. Humpty Dumpty sure as hell will never be the same and it's very possible that you will tear yourself up enough to not "make it back".

If you saw me walk, then you would change your mind lol
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Erm, is it my imagination or has it suddenly got a lot more negative around here...

@dennisn... have you had a hip replacement or are you about to have one? Or are you just trolling?

If the latter, perhaps you would leave us in peace to share our stories and encouragement...
  • dennisn
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Erm, is it my imagination or has it suddenly got a lot more negative around here...

@dennisn... have you had a hip replacement or are you about to have one? Or are you just trolling?

If the latter, perhaps you would leave us in peace to share our stories and encouragement...

Well, a few people seem to think that we are all invulnerable and no matter what happens to us we will ALWAYS be able to play the game again at our peak. I'm sitting here right now and telling you that the plate they put in my back(to make me better) has helped some, but I doubt I'll ever ride a 600 mile week over Rocky Mountain passes again. You can give me all the encouragement you can, but it ain't gonna happen. Went skiing this last January. Pretty pitiful compared to my earlier days. This is not to say that I still don't enjoy cycling or skiing but the days of grueling mountain pass climbs and double black diamond runs are in the past. Than again I am 68 and learned long ago the people are NOT invulnerable. Not even young people and kids(who seem to think otherwise). Not you, not me, not them.
  • Mikey23
    I'm a realist and my surgeon has told me that my artificial hip will never be as good as my own but its the best chance i have at the moment. Im not sure that anyone on here was actually saying otherwise. In the mean time i am happy to share my experiences and to give and receive a little bit of support and encouragement from those who are going through or have been through similar experiences...
  • dennisn wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

Well, a few people seem to think that we are all invulnerable and no matter what happens to us we will ALWAYS be able to play the game again at our peak. I'm sitting here right now and telling you that the plate they put in my back(to make me better) has helped some, but I doubt I'll ever ride a 600 mile week over Rocky Mountain passes again. You can give me all the encouragement you can, but it ain't gonna happen. Went skiing this last January. Pretty pitiful compared to my earlier days. This is not to say that I still don't enjoy cycling or skiing but the days of grueling mountain pass climbs and double black diamond runs are in the past. Than again I am 68 and learned long ago the people are NOT invulnerable. Not even young people and kids(who seem to think otherwise). Not you, not me, not them.

Your situation sounds of age rather than injury, which we all succumb to at some stage ..
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    dennisn wrote:
    There was a documentary series in the 1970s following a man from a plane crash, from which he emerged barely alive. They managed to get him back to "better than before" - cost the healthcare provider an absolute packet though. He was certainly stronger & faster than before though. :mrgreen:

This DOES NOT happen to everyone or even most people.

WHOOOSHHH....
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    edited April 2017
    2 hip replacements and a hip revision me. I'm going fine. No, artificial hips aren't as good as the real thing and there are certain stretches that the bendy Yoga woman in the youtube video can do which I avoid.

So you make do with what you have to overcome and I wouldn't swap it for all the discomfort and the walking stick and restless nights and involuntary spasms. It's metal and doesn't hurt.

I was back on my bike in 6 weeks following hip op no.2. I dare say I should have waited a couple more weeks but was over eager and pain free though I used an old sit up and beg bike to ease me into it. Don't be in a hurry, take your time and consider some light resistance training (with proper supervision) to accelerate things after 8 weeks or so, providing there's no aches and pains.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

Your situation sounds of age rather than injury, which we all succumb to at some stage ..
    You're telling me that my back INJURY and my fairly new plate are supposed to let me do everything and anything I could do before. What alternate universe do you live in? This back thing has sort of got me "on the trailer" so to speak. I have the desire to push ahead BUT do not want to end up back under the knife. This has tempered things a lot for me. Nowadays my thoughts turn more to "I'd like to get out of this chair a little easier" rather than "what do I need to do to ride a 60 Min 40k time trial". This was an injury as far as I'm concerned and not really related to old age, so, according to you I should be fine, no problems. Bwaaahahahahahahaha.
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 444
    Hi again Mikey 23.
    It's good to see you on the Forum again and hope your recovery is going decently. I'd meant to post an earlier update but time ran away. You're right it was and I hope still will be a supportive posting place for those going through the hip replacement process either like us through an accident or those who elected to have the procedure.
    I find I am better when I exercise, but have also learnt the worth of rest days on occasion. I'm taking one today after a 70 mile ride yesterday which was tiring but good. I got up this morning and didn't feel the hip at all. Sitting in the office for too long is not good!
    I've come back more determined than before. Let us know how you are getting on and we'll try and keep adding the feedback for others who are following the same path in the original way intended. Very best wishes.
  • Mikey23
    @molteni man... cheers buddy. Just started outside again. A few rides around my local easy course. Last week started doing my more challenging routes and on sunday did a 35 miler out into a ferocious wind and a fast return. Managed over 200 miles last week with roughly half zwift and half outside.

My legs lack a little bit of strength but my cardio is ok and i seem to be pushing nearly the w/k that i used to. So 16 weeks in and progress still being made
  • dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

You're telling me that my back INJURY and my fairly new plate are supposed to let me do everything and anything I could do before. What alternate universe do you live in? This back thing has sort of got me "on the trailer" so to speak. I have the desire to push ahead BUT do not want to end up back under the knife. This has tempered things a lot for me. Nowadays my thoughts turn more to "I'd like to get out of this chair a little easier" rather than "what do I need to do to ride a 60 Min 40k time trial". This was an injury as far as I'm concerned and not really related to old age, so, according to you I should be fine, no problems. Bwaaahahahahahahaha.

Sounds like you could do with some counselling mate?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    He wouldn't want that as he only listens to doctors. Maybe ECT as a medic can prescribe that.
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

Sounds like you could do with some counselling mate?

How will counselling help cure an injured back? Is this something new? They talk you out of having back spasms and shooting pains down your legs? Sounds good. Sign me up. Oh, by the way, do you think they can talk me out of diabetes too? That would be good.
  • Mikey23
    @dennis... i dont think @steel was talking about physical counselling. Been away from these forums for quite some time and fondly remember some of those heated discussions from the past. You are a legend and we love you mate. Dont ever change!
  • dennisn
    Mikey23 wrote:
    @dennis... i dont think @steel was talking about physical counselling. Been away from these forums for quite some time and fondly remember some of those heated discussions from the past. You are a legend and we love you mate. Dont ever change!
    I know what he was saying, but simply because you're mentally strong doesn't mean the body will always respond. Thinking that you can overcome ANYTHING is foolish thinking. There are limits to everything. Even if you're young and think you're invulnerable.
  • Mikey23
    I'm old and clapped out and know that i'm not immortal. I will just try to make the best of the days i have left!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    mrfpb wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    There was a documentary series in the 1970s following a man from a plane crash, from which he emerged barely alive. They managed to get him back to "better than before" - cost the healthcare provider an absolute packet though. He was certainly stronger & faster than before though. :mrgreen:

WHOOOSHHH....

:D Made me laugh that one
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • With elite athletes then yes injury can make a difference , depends on the sport ligaments snaps are a big problem but breaks not so much, for us mere mortals i believe a full recovery is expected certainly i expect to recover 100%

Mine was a fracture below the neck of the femur, so not completely identical, but I'm not 100% two years on. The bone is fully healed, there's no limp and I can run/cycle again, so that's a full recovery in the minds of the medics. But the muscle damage during the break and the operation (plus perhaps the wastage due to lack of strenuous use over the recovery period) means that my leg isn't as strong as it was - I'd say about 85%. It means I'm a bit slower than I was, and climbing up stairs isn't comfortable. Full recovery =/= 100% back as you were.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

Mine was a fracture below the neck of the femur, so not completely identical, but I'm not 100% two years on. The bone is fully healed, there's no limp and I can run/cycle again, so that's a full recovery in the minds of the medics. But the muscle damage during the break and the operation (plus perhaps the wastage due to lack of strenuous use over the recovery period) means that my leg isn't as strong as it was - I'd say about 85%. It means I'm a bit slower than I was, and climbing up stairs isn't comfortable. Full recovery =/= 100% back as you were.

The issue for those of us late 40's onwards is that general fitness will decline unless we make an effort to maintain it, even if we don't have any major health scares or injuries. I can't sit at my desk/in my car and expct to be as fit in two years as I am now. I need to exercise an watch my diet just to "stand still" healthwise.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    mrfpb wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

WHOOOSHHH....

:D Made me laugh that one
    Glad someone spotted it :mrgreen:
  • Retyred
    Retyred Posts: 1
    Hi, back on 15/6 I stupidly decided to ride through an ultra slimy ford on my road bike. End result fractured femur just below my hip joint. 16/6 I had a dynamic hip screw fitted and following a week as an inpatient am back home. I have been told only partial weight bearing is permitted for a total of 6 weeks from the op and have today met with an NHS physio and have been given a daily exercise routine to follow. Having recently retired somewhat past my 'best before date' this is not what I had planned. However, it was nice to be classified as 'young'! Apparently this injury in younger people is almost exclusively the domain of cyclists and horse riders. Being optimistic I have ordered a turbo trainer for when I am fit enough to get back on the bike. If anyone has had the same op it would be good to hear from them. I am new to the Bike Radar forum. Maybe I should've started a new post??
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    well, you really belong in the 'broken' thread...

viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=12571535

hope all goes well

we're all different, stick to what the doctor/physio tell you, bone healing goes through distinct stages, doing too much too soon could cause problems

i too was pronounced 'young' as i lay on the table in a&e after snapping the end off mine a couple of years ago, good isn't it :)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Retyred wrote:
    ...Being optimistic I have ordered a turbo trainer for when I am fit enough to get back on the bike. If anyone has had the same op it would be good to hear from them. I am new to the Bike Radar forum. Maybe I should've started a new post??

Personally I would have bought some Rollers instead; low resistance and the immediate concern is mobility but that's me.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • molteni_man
    Firstly Retyred may I send my best wishes to you. As the original poster I know what you will be going through. Although I had a total hip replacement I hope some of the stuff I posted might give you some hope.
    For others who have followed this post and others who come across this as they look for any way forward I thought I'd post a further update. The original post got slightly waylaid by some posts, but essentially it was me asking for ways forward. Now I hope that it will give some help unfortunately caught in the same situation as I was.
    I'm now at 34 weeks since I came off the bike on Remembrance Sunday so just around the 8 months mark.
    Physically I'm riding some good distances and have covered over 75 miles on each of the last four Sundays. The Wattbike at the gym indicates that I have also returned to even power on right / left leg which I'm really pleased about.
    My times over distance are fine although short sprints could still improve!
    I seemed to suffer more from tiredness until quite recently, but in reflection this is to be expected.
    I still don't take corners as well as I previously did and I would like this to get better. Mentally I am more reticent about riding on busy roads even though traffic had nothing to do with it. Any suggestions gratefully received as to how to improve this.
    Generally now I notice my hip replacement less than before. It isn't as good as it was but I'm just grateful to the NHS and surgeon. It was a big thing in my life and still is to some extent, but I also have gained an even greater respect of those who have permanent disabilities. Another point is how determined I am to come back and be better than before with my cycling and in other areas of life too such as work.
    In reflection I am convinced that getting up and walking 'early doors 'worked for me. I also think I got back on the turbo ( Wattbike) at the right point too. ( Check my earlier posts for time frame).
    I'll update again as begin to get closer to the year mark. As ever check in with all medical advice and listen to that body, but hope helpful.
    BW
  • Thought i would my two pennies worth have had hip problems for years so decided to have a the hip replaced this year.

I had my hip replaced in France on the 5th July so its been 11 days since surgery, one thing i did find out is the surgery in Europe is different from the one performed in the UK , the Europe op is a less intrusive one where no muscles are torn thus the recovery is a lot quicker. No additional furniture is required as dislocation is like 1% risk. The cut equates to about 3 inches .
    I'm told i can drive after about 15 days and back on the static bike within 3 weeks also back on the road after 6 weeks , after reading many horror stories on here and other forums i thought i would share my findings that UK citizens that hold a EHIC the european insurance card can get this service. I used a company ''surgeryinfrance;'' but i'm sure there are others . I had to pay a third of the cost but i'm sure its be worth it.

David
  • molteni_man
    Interesting and useful post David for those out there who are 'electing' to have the operation. Let us know how you get on over the coming weeks and months - it will be an interesting comparison. Because of the accident I had no choice but to have a THR immediately but I know two friends who are contemplating hip replacements due to pain and I will pass this information re your choice of France and the Euro style op. Best wishes for a good recovery too!
  • Interesting and useful post David for those out there who are 'electing' to have the operation. Let us know how you get on over the coming weeks and months - it will be an interesting comparison. Because of the accident I had no choice but to have a THR immediately but I know two friends who are contemplating hip replacements due to pain and I will pass this information re your choice of France and the Euro style op. Best wishes for a good recovery too!

Cheers the company i used were 1st class from day one to the day i left hospital , op on Wednesday afternoon released Saturday. That aside after 11 days my leg is almost strong enough to take a few steps without the crutches not sure how that compares to the similar op in the UK (i know we all recover differently) but the only pain i have if that's what you call it is some discomfort where the surgeon went in.

David