Giant frames... the best?

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Beatmaker wrote:
    Whilst I wouldn't say that Giant frames are better than other brands, their manufacturing facilities are certainly amongst some of the best. On top of their own range, Giant do contract manufacturing for a nunber of other brands, including 'premium' brands such as Colnago.

Shame their warranty isn't up to the same standard.
  • ayjaycee wrote:
    I am utterly stunned that a member of a sales team would ever make such a claim about the things that he was trying to sell.

MeanRedSpider has 7 bikes with Di2.

I see your counting abilities match the rest of your mental capacity :wink:

I counted all your fingers on each hand.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ayjaycee wrote:
    I am utterly stunned that a member of a sales team would ever make such a claim about the things that he was trying to sell.

MeanRedSpider has 7 bikes with Di2.

I see your counting abilities match the rest of your mental capacity :wink:

I counted all your fingers on each hand.

I think you muddled the number with your IQ. I think next year at school you'll be learning to write two sentences together. I'm looking forward to it because then your posts will be more fun.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I have another thread below discussing bike options, I just wanted as a side note to see what the opinion is on the brand giant and the claim that their frames are superior. Thanks though and any bike comments in the other thread are greatly appreciated.

viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=13072701
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I wouldn't be looking at carbon for my first bike. I would be looking at something more robust like aluminium or steel till I had bit more experience. It will be less painful on your wallet but just as painful on your body.
    You wouldn't recommended a Porche to someone who had just passed their driving test.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    Oh yes, I forgot, Carbon dissolves in the rain, it's soft as butter and if you go too fast downhill it will blow up and kill you.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Webboo wrote:
    You wouldn't recommended a Porche to someone who had just passed their driving test.

Would be handy with the current weather though
  • Webboo wrote:
    I wouldn't be looking at carbon for my first bike. I would be looking at something more robust like aluminium or steel till I had bit more experience. It will be less painful on your wallet but just as painful on your body.
    Absolutely, why buy a keeper when you can buy something that you'll either want to replace in 6 months time or will put you off for good.
  • Webboo wrote:
    I wouldn't be looking at carbon for my first bike. I would be looking at something more robust like aluminium or steel till I had bit more experience..
    Because the fork is never made of carbon either is it? That would be suicidal...
  • mostly
    mostly Posts: 113
    I've no idea but my TCR is my finest purchase . Worry about the legs the rest doesn't matter.
  • pinno
    mostly wrote:
    I've no idea but my TCR is my finest purchase . Worry about the legs the rest doesn't matter.

Are you tall by any chance? [No, not a crank* post, I have a theory].

*It's about frames.
  • mostly wrote:

What other bikes have you had?
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    as a newbie your limiting factor will be your legs, your endurance, your speed ... well, YOU !

it doesn't matter what frame you get for the first year or so, its going to be your body that stops you coming anywhere near what any frame is capable of.

That way, I would buy bike based upon, what ever floats your boat .... if a nice expensive Giant, gives you a stiffy and will get you off the sofa to go and ride then buy that ....... if it makes no difference and saving money is what motivates you, then buy a Boardman or a Planet-X

basically buy something YOU are proud of and want to ride
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    Well they make frame for almost everyone else in Taiwan/China, so they've got to be as good as the rest, minimum?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    ZMC888 wrote:
    Well they make frame for almost everyone else in Taiwan/China, so they've got to be as good as the rest, minimum?

That's not what was being asked. The question was are they 'better' - not are they 'as good as'...
  • Lol, funny thread, sorry i asked to be fair. I initially thought this was quite a friendly sport. wrong!
  • I was told the same about Specialized...

By a Specialized dealer. It's self imprinting... they keep repeating this stuff so much for so long that they end up believing it. You can see the drama unfold when they switch to a new brand...
    First they blame the distribution for letting them down, then a couple of years later they go on saying that they are not as good as they used to be and that's why they no longer sell them...
    left the forum March 2023
  • imposter2.0
    Steve1978 wrote:
    Lol, funny thread, sorry i asked to be fair. I initially thought this was quite a friendly sport. wrong!

Try a golf forum - ask them if Ping make the best clubs in the world. See how you get on. In fact, try any sport and ask the same question...
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Steve1978 wrote:
    Lol, funny thread, sorry i asked to be fair. I initially thought this was quite a friendly sport. wrong!

If you think about how many different brands are out there and what percentage of people on here ride Giant, do you honestly believe many are going to say "yeah Giant are best but I decided to pay 3 grand on an inferior bike from (insert brand here) instead". To most riders their bike is their pride and joy and it matters not one bit if its the best brand or has the fastest wheels or if so and so rider in the pro peloton rides one. Its 50% other branded kit anyway. It only matters about if its got Shimano, Sram of Campag ffs
  • Imposter wrote:
    Steve1978 wrote:

Try a golf forum - ask them if Ping make the best clubs in the world. See how you get on. In fact, try any sport and ask the same question...

at least they sound like golf clubs.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Is it possible that Giant, since they make frames for lots of other companies, keep a little something special for themselves?

Also, you wouldn't give a Porsche to a new driver. But a new cyclist isn't likely to hit 120 mph by accident. Bad analogy?
  • imposter2.0
    Alex99 wrote:
    Is it possible that Giant, since they make frames for lots of other companies, keep a little something special for themselves?

Like what?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    Steve1978 wrote:
    Most people are friendly, some are arseholes. Same as everywhere I'm afraid. Don't let that put you off.
  • Alex99
    Imposter wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:

Like what?

I don't ruddy well know do I. Do people have to know the answers to questions they have to be allowed to post them here?
  • imposter2.0
    Alex99 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:

Like what?

I don't ruddy well know do I. Do people have to know the answers to questions they have to be allowed to post them here?

I just thought that had the makings of a hypothesis. Evidently not.
  • pinno
    Steve1978 wrote:

Just you wait until you see a group of cyclists coming your way on your new shiny thing and you say hello or wave and get blanked...
  • Alex99
    Imposter wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:

Like what?

I just thought that had the makings of a hypothesis. Evidently not.

It's a few year old, but Giant have published claims that the TCR-SL is the stiffest vs closest competitors. Their position clearly isn't that their own braned frames are the same as the others.
    https://cycletechreview.com/2012/media/ ... -bicycles/
  • Pinno wrote:
    Steve1978 wrote:

Just you wait until you see a group of cyclists coming your way on your new shiny thing and you say hello or wave and get blanked...

:lol::lol::lol:
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    Steve1978 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

It just might elicit another poll.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Webboo wrote:
    I wouldn't be looking at carbon for my first bike. I would be looking at something more robust like aluminium or steel till I had bit more experience..
    Because the fork is never made of carbon either is it? That would be suicidal...
    The only pair of forks I have bust in over thirty years were some on an Alan cross bike I bought second hand. I lifted up the front end and the wheel plus forks just fell off. Frames cracked and broken several usually after hitting something or the deck.
    But WTF do I know :oops: