Leg extensions for lactic acid tolerance on quads?

80RPM
80RPM Posts: 3
Hey all,

this is a question no one seems to have a solid answer for. My main problem when cycling is the lactic acid buildup, this is my bottleneck. I have enough power and overall fitness, and my heart is OK, I have no energy swings, NOTHING but that BURN in my quads.

The only thing that appears to work is taking some sodium bicarbonate prior to bike. But I want to develop my capabilities in other fashion (training).

Are leg extensions a quick way of solving this problem? Since they are the only exercise that brings an outstanding burn in my quads. Can't get the same with squats or even the spinning bike (or I must spend an hour on it before starting to feel the burn).

Anyone else in my boat? Thanks in advance and great forum!

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Ride more eventually you will learn to tolerate it or give up :D
  • You can only increase your tolerance by doing more of what causes it, sadly, it's a hateful experience ime.
  • There is no quick fix, as the others have said you have to build fitness and your body's tolerance. I have nearly 20 years riding in my legs since my teens and don't experience severe lactic buildup unless I do several high intensity sessions over consecutive days. Not saying it will take decades but you get the picture, getting the body to adapt is a long process with no real shortcuts IMO.

One thing that has worked for me over the years are hill intervals, hold that burning feeling for as long as you can for as many hills as possible over the course of a ride. Do a session like this once a week and your tolerance to lactic buildup should improve.
  • 80RPM wrote:
    Hey all,

this is a question no one seems to have a solid answer for.
    You just haven't looked in the right place or asked the right people. Or are too lazy to do a bit of simple research. First time poster so you're either very new and not tried to do much of a search, or you are trolling.
    80RPM wrote:
    My main problem when cycling is the lactic acid buildup, this is my bottleneck. I have enough power and overall fitness,
    Clearly you don't.

Your problem is metabolic fitness for cycling and that's not going to be fixed by pushing weights in a gym, but by training more on the bike.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Cycling is like having toothache in your legs.
  • reacher
    reacher Posts: 416
    I would be very interested to see what setting you have that bike on if it takes an hour before you feel anything happening in your legs
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Webboo wrote:

But if the remedy for toothache is extraction, where does that leave your legs?
  • Imposter wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

But if the remedy for toothache is extraction, where does that leave your legs?
    I removed one of my legs. Didn't make a whole lot of difference.
  • imposter2.0
    Yeah, fair point ;)
  • 80RPM
    80RPM Posts: 3
    80RPM wrote:
    Hey all,

You just haven't looked in the right place or asked the right people. Or are too lazy to do a bit of simple research. First time poster so you're either very new and not tried to do much of a search, or you are trolling.
    80RPM wrote:
    My main problem when cycling is the lactic acid buildup, this is my bottleneck. I have enough power and overall fitness,
    Clearly you don't.

Your problem is metabolic fitness for cycling and that's not going to be fixed by pushing weights in a gym, but by training more on the bike.

So I am a newbie/troll just because I am asking an advanced question? LOL?

There is LIFE beyond cycling and more cycling.

Should I unsubscribe from the gym according to you?

rpaton wrote:
    ok, pyruvate, or hydrogen ions, whatever.

I want a gym workout to solve this "quad burn" problem.
  • imposter2.0
    80RPM wrote:

People with more knowledge of the topic than you are telling you that there isn't one.
  • 80RPM wrote:
    80RPM wrote:
    Hey all,

80RPM wrote:
    Clearly you don't.

rpaton wrote:
    ok, pyruvate, or hydrogen ions, whatever.

I do far more gym work than cycling and can tell you with certainty, the gym ( weight lifting ) is not the place to improve your tolerance...

If your gym has a weighted sled or a weighted drag plate then shuttle runs with these will benefit you, but we are talking intense 'ramping' workouts.... Bring a bucket time!
  • 80RPM wrote:
    80RPM wrote:
    Hey all,

80RPM wrote:
    Clearly you don't.

It's not an advanced question. If it were, you'd have realised your mistaken premise.

If you had taken the time to actually search the issue on here (or perhaps any of a dozen other cycling forums where the same thing has been discussed ad nauseam), you would have found perhaps several dozen threads on the same topics. Whenever a first time poster pops up with the same old troll-like questions, then it's reasonable to wonder about their motives.

There is the possibility of course that you are just new and not actually attempting to troll, which is why I answered your question.
    80RPM wrote:
    Not sure what stating the obvious has to do with your question or my response.
    80RPM wrote:
    Not sure what your gym membership has to do with anything.

You started out by making the mistaken claim that your "lactic acid" buildup is not due to your fitness, when in fact, that's precisely what results in an increase in blood lactate concentration. Hence you need to be disavowed of that false notion.

Then, presumably on the basis of that false notion, you are wondering if doing a gym workout, i.e. leg extensions, will solve your problem.

There are two answers:

No, if you mean typical leg extensions done with weight resistance on gym machines. This sort of exercise is not going to help with improving your muscular metabolic fitness, nor increase the power you can sustain at maximal lactate steady state.

That said, the answer is yes but only if those leg extensions are regular, frequent, solid aerobic efforts lasting from several minutes to several hours performed on a gym stationary bike.

As I already explained, your issue is an aerobic metabolic one, and that's best improved via doing aerobic work in the manner specific to the mode of exercise you wish to improve at.
  • As I already explained, your issue is an aerobic metabolic one, and that's best improved via doing aerobic work in the manner specific to the mode of exercise you wish to improve at.

Are you sayng only cyclng based exercise will help? I agree a weight lifting based program won't, but there are plenty of aerobic workouts ( including weighted ) that can benefit the OP.
  • imposter2.0
    Smudgerii wrote:
    As I already explained, your issue is an aerobic metabolic one, and that's best improved via doing aerobic work in the manner specific to the mode of exercise you wish to improve at.

Are you sayng only cyclng based exercise will help? I agree a weight lifting based program won't, but there are plenty of aerobic workouts ( including weighted ) that can benefit the OP.

Why wouldn't he want to do one that is exercise and sport-specific though?
  • Imposter wrote:
    Smudgerii wrote:

Why wouldn't he want to do one that is exercise and sport-specific though?

Because he has already stated that he is looking for a gym based workout. This may come as a shock to some, but there is life outside of cycling and it's good!

Life inside cyclng can be improved by experiencing life outside cycling, and vice versa.
  • imposter2.0
    But he wants to fix something that occurs while he is on the bike. People are suggesting that as the problem is bike-specific, the solution ought to be as well. Feel free to suggest an alternative, if you have one.
  • Imposter wrote:
    But he wants to fix something that occurs while he is on the bike. People are suggesting that as the problem is bike-specific, the solution ought to be as well. Feel free to suggest an alternative, if you have one.

Already have. Feel free to read my posts, including my first one that informs him that his solution is not going to wotk.

How does it follow that a cyclng related struggle can only be resolved on the bike? Educate me!
  • Smudgerii wrote:

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Improving muscular metabolic fitness for a specific exercise modality requires you to train specifically in the manner of that exercise modality. If you are taxing different muscles in a different manner, then you'll not obtain the benefit of improving muscular metabolic fitness to address the specific issue raised by the OP, which is what's at issue here.

Whether one would benefit from doing other forms of exercise for others reasons or issues isn't the question.
  • Putting aside the issue of aerobic metabolic fitness for cycling (i.e. increasing power sustainable at lactate threshold) and looking specifically at lactate tolerance, IOW coping with very high blood lactate levels which occur when riding power demand goes above one's functional threshold / critical power levels, the very best exercises to improve lactate tolerance are short vomit inducing all out hard cycling efforts in the 30 to 60 second range.
  • Can't argue with the vomit inducing workout, but can't agree that only cycling based work will benefit him. Just as I don't believe it's only his quads that are the issue... Any lactic acid tolerance training will benefit the OP.

So many times on here people make out that specific/limited individual muscles are responsible for all your cycling needs, yet I never seen anyone provide proof of it.
  • imposter2.0
    Smudgerii wrote:
    Any lactic acid tolerance training will benefit the OP.

I think Alex has just explained to you why this is not correct.
    Smudgerii wrote:
    So many times on here people make out that specific/limited individual muscles are responsible for all your cycling needs, yet I never seen anyone provide proof of it.

Not quite sure what you are saying here, but feel free to provide evidence to substantiate it.
  • Smudgerii wrote:
    Can't argue with the vomit inducing workout, but can't agree that only cycling based work will benefit him. Just as I don't believe it's only his quads that are the issue... Any lactic acid tolerance training will benefit the OP.

Can you explain how muscles not involved in the performance of cycling are the ones that need to be trained in order to improve one's cycling performance?
  • Can you first explain which muscles are exclusively used in cycling? And how lactic acid tolerance training is targeted at these specific muscles?

Also show me where I said muscles not used in cycling had to be specificly targeted? Bet you can't....

I will state again.... The OP will benefit from varyng types of tolerance training, all of which will be of benefit in the longterm. I have also clearly stated that his preferred choice of exercise is the wrong option.

Now lets have the list... And how you go about targeting a specific muscle for tolerance training?
  • Imposter wrote:
    Smudgerii wrote:
    Any lactic acid tolerance training will benefit the OP.

I think Alex has just explained to you why this is not correct.
    Smudgerii wrote:

Not quite sure what you are saying here, but feel free to provide evidence to substantiate it.

He answered when? Quote it.

Read the forum it's littered with these claims
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    This cr4p is why I don't often post on here any more.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rpaton
    rpaton Posts: 15
    There are some interesting theories about lactic acid and lactate

http://www.flammerouge.je/factsheets/lactate2.htm

And there are loads of ideas on how to train off the bike
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowl ... f-the-bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAIY6b7v-to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6uTN9cvyRo

plus interval training on the bike is where a lot of gains can be made

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... ons-42360/

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/fitness/ ... ort-121219

loads of theories, but its what works for you that counts.
  • reacher
    reacher Posts: 416
    You must be the only person I've ever heard of in a gym do full squats by which i mean ass to grass not a dip with a bar that can't get his legs screaming in pain by useing enough weight an reps to train them to failure. Do a leg session properly if that's the effect your after an you will struggle to do anything but wait for them to recover for several days after, if your legs aren't hurting on squats with those type of sessions your not doing them properly
  • imposter2.0
    NapoleonD wrote:
    This cr4p is why I don't often post on here any more.

Rapidly coming to that conclusion too..