Mobile phones and driving

13»

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Slowbike wrote:
    Using your phone handsfree whilst driving isn't dangerous persay - it's being distracted that's dangerous -

The studies have shown that you are distracted. Whether you realise it or not - that's what ths studies show.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Fenix wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Using your phone handsfree whilst driving isn't dangerous persay - it's being distracted that's dangerous -

The studies have shown that you are distracted. Whether you realise it or not - that's what ths studies show.

To a level yes - but you don't always need to be concentrating on the road as much as say a rally driver does.

Do you really not get it? It's not "you're 50% distracted" when you're on the phone and it's not "you need to be 100% concentration on the road" when you're driving - theres levels of distraction and levels of concentration required - both of which fluctuate constantly.

IMHO the message shouldn't be "Don't use your phone at all whilst driving" and it should be "Pay more attention to your driving"
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Slowbike wrote:
    IMHO the message should be "Don't use your phone at all whilst driving" and "Pay more attention to your driving"
    FTFY.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    IMHO the message should be "Don't use your phone at all whilst driving" and "Pay more attention to your driving"
    FTFY.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Wow. An amazing number of holier than though drivers out there ....

Perhaps you should take a good long look at how you drive rather and the real reasons for near misses...
  • pblakeney
    Slowbike wrote:

Perhaps you should take a good long look at how you drive rather and the real reasons for near misses...
    Near misses? Nope. I pay attention.
    The wife doesn't like being ignored but safety is paramount. That's my excuse anyway...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I've been a very different driver since going on a speed awareness course. I used to think I was a good driver.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    Slowbike wrote:
    IMHO the message shouldn't be "Don't use your phone at all whilst driving" and it should be "Pay more attention to your driving"

Isn't that just because banning using a phone would be inconvenient for you though. It's a bit like people arguing they should be able to have 3-4 pints and drive home so long as they take it easy and pay more attention than normal.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mamba80
    Slowbike wrote:

Not really, its fairly obvious that looking down at a screen, scrolling through call lists or music tracks, whilst doing 50 or 60 mph is not going to end well.
    Had this lorry driver been having a chat on HF, he might at least have been looking at the road and stood a chance of applying the brakes, he hit the row of cars without even slowing, who knows if he hit the cars at 30 instead of 50, all of these people might still be alive, we ll never know.
    He was nt momentarily distracted, he was engrossed in his music app and the Police think he hadnt looked at the road for 1km, about a minute.

tbh Slowbike i am amazed you appear to defend the use of driving and smart phone use, you seem to trivialise it, talking about rally drivers/car radios and even chatting to the missus on the phone about your tea ffs.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Slowbike wrote:
    I feel that if we go down that route then we start the process of banning anything and everything that is remotely dangerous because we can't trust drivers to make responsible decisions on how to drive their car.
    Slowbike wrote:
    Ultimately this will become a non-issue when driverless vehicles become established and controlling a vehicle becomes illegal - then we can do wtf we like in the vehicle.

Sorry, are we banning things or not banning things - I've lost track a bit!

I do disagree with you with things like the radio - to me, the radio is not a distraction. It aids my concentration. You may disagree with that (perhaps on the basis of you knowing me better than I know me myself!) but it is a rational argument and I am pretty sure it isn't hard to find evidence (if not conclusive evidence) to back that up.

What I am pretty sure about (though open to being proved otherwise about) is that there is no evidence to suggest that being on the phone whilst driving can aid concentration. On that basis, hands free is black and white a bad thing whereas the radio isn't.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Slowbike wrote:

I'm certainly not claiming driver greatness here. It is entirely possible that you are a safer driver than I when you are on the phone and I am not! Who knows. The point I come back to is this - simply why not stop and have the call? If it is terribly important then you certainly shouldn't be driving whilst having that conversation. If it is trivial, then it can wait.
    Slowbike wrote:
    I've been thinking (whilst driving) how we can reduce the use of mobiles without police enforcement - easy way would be to block mobile signals - but that doesn't stop someone using it for music playlist - and it's a bit unfair on passengers

Of course, my age probably shows here. I simply don't need mobile phones so I will happily ignore any phone ringing while driving (infact, I won't notice as I set the ring tone to be pretty quiet anyway). The concept that it might be 'unfair on passengers to block mobile phones" is something I find vaguely hilarious though I get where you are coming from. Really, our dependency on mobile phones is getting a bit pathetic; it is entirely possible to live without them though those ludicrous posts you get on Facebook saying "Would you live in a cabin without internet or phone for a month for £100,000" seems to suggest otherwise. That there are (non rich) people in this world who would say no to that is really quite sad.

I expect signal blockers may well become standard in cars.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Related reading, Thousands caught twice for mobile phones while driving (and other distractions)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37855713

Where do you guys stand on sat navs?
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    HaydenM wrote:

my garmin I stood repeatedly on the screen until it broke, fecking thing was as unreliable as the bike computers. ...... the TomTom I would never stand on !
  • pblakeney
    HaydenM wrote:
    Related reading, Thousands caught twice for mobile phones while driving (and other distractions)

No one in my entire family has one.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • HaydenM wrote:

I use the built in one in the car, even though it isn't as good as google, because it displays in a way that distracts as little as possible (and doesn't cover a percentage of the windscreen). I would never try to set it while I was moving.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Slowbike wrote:

LOL - you say you've hit things when driving.....
  • haydenm
    fat daddy wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

my garmin I stood repeatedly on the screen until it broke, ******* thing was as unreliable as the bike computers. ...... the TomTom I would never stand on !

Obviously I meant geographically, would you stand on them at home or use the satnav to travel somehwere else? :wink:
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    HaydenM wrote:

What about police using radios/walkie talkies?
  • haydenm
    HaydenM wrote:

I use the built in one in the car, even though it isn't as good as google, because it displays in a way that distracts as little as possible (and doesn't cover a percentage of the windscreen). I would never try to set it while I was moving.

I often see people swerving around the motorway with a satnav screen on their windscreen, I wondered whether it's the physical distraction or the fact they are following the directions blindly?

I'm often trying to find forest entrances in the middle of nowhere using the satnav on my phone and OS maps and you have no choice but to stop in laybys to concentrate but obviously reading a proper map requires more effort.

I've definitely had a moments' panic more than once inside forests (private roads) whilst trying to work out the road network on a map and rolling along at 15mph, scares the cr*p out of me and that is *only* with the threat of my boss murdering me when I write off my car...
  • mamba80
    HaydenM wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

I'm often trying to find forest entrances in the middle of nowhere using the satnav on my phone and OS maps and you have no choice but to stop in laybys to concentrate but obviously reading a proper map requires more effort.

I've definitely had a moments' panic more than once inside forests

But you doggedly keep going eh? I d keep quite about all of this to be honest, its also a little off topic lol!
  • haydenm
    mamba80 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

I've definitely had a moments' panic more than once inside forests on private roads

But you doggedly keep going eh? I d keep quite about all of this to be honest, its also a little off topic lol!

I think you might have misunderstood my post. I use maps to find forests but obviously stop to see where I am, when I am inside forests I have experienced the 'look up and panic' feeling but obviously these are private gravel roads.

Edit, re-reading my post I have literally no idea how you could have misread that, or why it is off topic for that matter...
  • pblakeney
    HaydenM wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

I've definitely had a moments' panic more than once inside forests on private roads

I think you might have misunderstood my post. I use maps to find forests but obviously stop to see where I am, when I am inside forests I have experienced the 'look up and panic' feeling but obviously these are private gravel roads.

Edit, re-reading my post I have literally no idea how you could have misread that, or why it is off topic for that matter...
    Whooooossshhhh!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • haydenm
    Oh my... :oops:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    We'll not let you forget this - you'll be dogged by it for a long time to come
  • mamba80
    HaydenM wrote:
    Oh my... :oops:

ha ha i knew we d bring you to heel eventually.
  • I saw a cyclist on their phone yesterday.