My Man 2017

1235»

Comments

• Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    I guess a little bit different to "my Man" but back in 2011 I decided to follow an unknown rider in the TdF just to see day on day how he got on. I picked out a young french rider called Anthony Delaplace, he didn't do much but I looked out for his results each stage. I have followed him ever since and even got to say hello to him when the TdF was in Cambridge and he has made a couple of breakaways in the Tour over the years.

Only bringing it up as he's currently leading the Tour de Normandie :)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Richj wrote:
    I guess a little bit different to "my Man" but back in 2011 I decided to follow an unknown rider in the TdF just to see day on day how he got on. I picked out a young french rider called Anthony Delaplace, he didn't do much but I looked out for his results each stage. I have followed him ever since and even got to say hello to him when the TdF was in Cambridge and he has made a couple of breakaways in the Tour over the years.
    Around 2005, Paul Kimmage did the same - picking a Tour debutant and writing at great length how his youthful ambitions would inevitably be crushed on the wheel of doping leaving him a bitter and disappointed with only small success in small French races realistically available to him.

Unfortunately for him the young rider he picked was Philippe Gilbert

(Sample line: "But it is not an ideal world, and the grim facts of this very grim sport are that Philippe Gilbert’s dreams have already ended.")
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Richj
    RichN95 wrote:
    Richj wrote:
    Around 2005, Paul Kimmage did the same - picking a Tour debutant and writing at great length how his youthful ambitions would inevitably be crushed on the wheel of doping leaving him a bitter and disappointed with only small success in small French races realistically available to him.

(Sample line: "But it is not an ideal world, and the grim facts of this very grim sport are that Philippe Gilbert’s dreams have already ended.")

brilliant
  • Richj
    must admit I am too lazy to follow a whole team, one rider is enough for me
  • Richj wrote:

Only bringing it up as he's currently leading the Tour de Normandie :)

A good choice - and still going very strong. Delaplace has managed to complete (ie complete) five TdF's (and one withdrawal (2012 broken wrist) including that 2011 one and is odds on for his 6th this year which is not bad at all . There was more BR focus on him one year when the 'Mighty Whites' of Bretagne Seche were my teamed up. A very good rider who perhaps doesn't have one strength but is very useful in a team. You're right - odds on Delaplace will be in the early breaks - a memorable one year with Mocoutie and the Japanese rider (?) and supporting Sepulveda later

Has had a win this year taking Normandy overall which is not an easy race to control or win due to a lot of ambitious young riders and requires consistency and he won stage one and kept the jersey throughout

TOUR-NORMANDIE-2017-ANTHONY-DELAPLACE-2E-ETAPE-630x0.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    It seems I picked up my man Sep's stomach bug, and after enjoying a rather nice meal, my body felt that desert was best served projectile vomiting into the toilet.

so much for the first sunny Sunday of the year.

Now THAT is dedication to the my man cause.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    RichN95 wrote:
    Richj wrote:

You sure about that? In Rough Ride, he follows Benoit Vaugrenard in the '06 Tour, who's still riding for FDJ I think.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Crampeur wrote:
    You sure about that? In Rough Ride, he follows Benoit Vaugrenard in the '06 Tour, who's still riding for FDJ I think.
    You can find copies of his piece on the internet still. It was in 2005.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    RichN95 wrote:
    Crampeur wrote:

https://www.cyclingforums.com/threads/p ... rt.217253/
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    RichN95 wrote:
    Crampeur wrote:
    Ah, apologies. Interesting that he does exactly the same thing a year later with someone that maybe illustrates his point better.
  • ***BUMP***

I am only bumping this thread as mine did so very well :)