Photography Thread

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,896

This could go in the "learned" or "cheered" threads but thought it was more applicable here.

My 11 years old DSLR is rated to 150,000 actuations and has taken 63,094 to date. Lots of life in the old dog yet! 😎

Of those 63,094 taken 23,891 have been keepers. I'd say that's a pretty good hit rate. Highly chuffed. 😃

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,705

You're right of course, tis the mast. Looks like a massive bit of kit for a boat that size.

Now i see it as a mast the vertical no Longer matters 😉

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,578

I think I took about 4-5 different versions before I kept this one, so falling behind PB’s keeper ratio. Shallow depth of field, manual focus and a touch of long-sightedness didn’t help.😏

• masjer

Patterns.

Tried an extra long exposure (@ 1 sec). Like a painting, It looks better viewed further away. Not quite sure about it, but worth a go.

• pblakeney

Worth go, and certainly abstract. Needs a focal point, but that's just my opinion. Subjective.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • masjer

Abstract was the plan. Including some rocks for scale/subject kinda ruined the abstract nature in this instance. Admittedly, I didn’t take many, so possibly a different angle (not easy) or focal length might have worked.

• pblakeney
    edited March 19

Don't take my view as criticism. Merely a personal opinion. There's loads of famous artwork I don't like. 😉

Maybe a tighter, wider crop to make it even more abstract?

Veronese68 wrote:
  • masjer
    edited March 19

Oh, no, I wasn't taking it as a criticism (although I wouldn't mind that). It's good to hear differing opinions.👍️.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,783

I think like most things, the more you do, the more you'll work out what works and what doesn't so would definitely keep going with it. I think trying to capture the idea of something constantly moving in a static image is one of the more interesting challenges.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,460
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,089

Nothing special, but cheekily making a 1000-year-old tower a mere backdrop amused me.

• pblakeney

Saw bees last weekend if that helps. 😉

Veronese68 wrote:
  • masjer

Ha. I've already got photographic evidence of bees.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,803

I’ve seen a couple of stoats (I think, possibly weasels as they were small) on my walks recently. Unfortunately I’ve had the dogs with me so no chance of getting a photo. The cherry blossom was out in Penarth on my run last week but not a nice backdrop.

The Milky Way galactic core is back visible again and was hoping to do some shots down West Wales next week but the forecast isn’t promising and the moon is nearly full so not ideal. Hoping to find something though, maybe the Green Bridge down at Castle Martin.

• Pross

I can check using Photopills, it's brilliant for that sort of thing. There's currently an opportunity to get a winter Milky Way arch panorama to the west at the start of the night that has the winter constellations and Jupiter beneath then a summer arch just before dawn with the galactic core. Unfortunately without clear skies it's all a bit pointless. I was looking to do the winter one looking out to sea with the old iron works at Porthgain in the foreground and then down to the Green Bridge for the morning one. I was also hoping to go back to Carew Castle where I did my first Milky Way effort a couple of years ago. Pentre Ifan looks like a good spot though, I've never been there.

• Pross

Hmm, if the longer range forecast can be believed the weather at the end of my trip over the Easter weekend may offer some opportunities. The moon will be waning a bit by then too so crossing my fingers. @masjer any suggestions for interesting foreground subjects with a westwards view out to the Irish Sea? Looking to avoid light pollution as much as possible so was thinking St. Davids area. I've got Struble Head lighthouse as a possible.

• rjsterry

That is lush!

Feel a sudden urge to make a sacrifice to the old gods.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• masjer

Man-made structures on the west coast are few and far between. Strumble head is a good shout, the lighthouse is small, but will still provide a focal point and plenty dark there. Easy parking and no need to walk along the cliffs with a head-torch.

There are plenty of fingers of rock jutting out to sea. Aberieddy to Porthgain have some good ones. Freshwater West might be an easy option. There’s a thatched seaweed drying hut near the beach. It’s small, but might do the trick.

• Pross

Cheers. I know Porthgain to Aberieddy a bit and had the ruined ironworks in mind as a possible. I do like that burial site too but a bit concerned that looking west from there might have too much light pollution from Fishguard. West in the early hours might be a better option there.

• masjer
    edited March 22

Pentre Ifan would be dark sky and quite far from Fishguard. Due to its situation, NW-N-NE direction would likely work best.

I was at Garn Fawr (listed above as a recommended dark sky) today, which has small rocky islets heading out towards the west. You can either park in an elevated area overlooking the bay, or there’s a lower car park with access to the coastal footpath. Not really sure if the view would show up at night.

• briantrumpet

Just a bit of post-work cycling tat. It was lovely light though.

• rjsterry

Top deck post work tat

Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet

Grrr. If there's one thing I hate about my Sony HX-60 is that it doesn't repeatedly tell you that you've been a dick and left your SD card in the laptop when you time your walk to perfection in between showers to get some nice shots.

No prizes for guessing what I did just now.

Grrr.

• masjer

How annoying. I leave the sd card trap door open on the camera to remind me to replace it after uploading. I still forget, so bought a few more spare sd cards. Belt and braces, but I reckon I’ll still screw up. Dragging along a tripod, only to realise the mounting plate isn’t on the camera, grates a bit.

I’d prefer it if the tree in front of the tower wasn’t as tall, but forgot my saw.

Wood anenomes.

• briantrumpet
    edited March 23

Yeah, ditto re trap door, but sometimes the system fails...

At least if the camera bleeped "You twit" when I tried to take photos withot an SD card, I wouldn't carry on snapping with the camera, and would get basic snaps on the phone, but to arrive back and only then realise I've been a twit is annoying.

PS - re the tower shot, it least the tree is naked - it's a good time to get what's behind, at least in its sexy tree lingerie.