2nd hand bib shorts

navrig2
navrig2 Posts: 1,844
edited November 2018 in The bottom bracket
Am I the only one who thinks that buying 2nd hand bib shorts is pretty disgusting?

Most shorts will have been worn for several hours on end, had a very sweaty backside intimately soiling the chamois which is quite absorbent and then washed at a recommended 30 degrees, clearly not hot enough to kill off any bacteria residing in the chamois.

Gross.

Comments

• You are not alone
  • Redbaron1
    Redbaron1 Posts: 116
    Agreed, would you buy a pair of worn knickers of eBay?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    What kind of knickers?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    :roll: These threads are nearly as pointless as helmet ones.

However I am enjoying the irony of someone with your avatar complaining about "gross" behaviour.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    :roll: These threads are nearly as pointless as helmet ones.

However I am enjoying the irony of someone with your avatar complaining about "gross" behaviour.

No irony. I'm not complaining.

Don't you fart when on the bike?
  • Do you ever sleep in a hotel? Ever wondered what happened on that mattress that you're lying on, that may be over 5 years old?

I have no problem with buying or selling these 2nd hand. That's what washing powders for after all....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Do you ever sleep in a hotel? Ever wondered what happened on that mattress that you're lying on, that may be over 5 years old?

I have no problem with buying or selling these 2nd hand. That's what washing powders for after all....

Bib Shorts are not something I'd choose to buy second hand but then I'm not skint enough to need to. What I find curious is that the logic here is that washing powder can clean your own clothes properly but not someone elses.

If you think like this you will neither sleep away from home nor ever eat out. Best not spend too much time dwelling on it.

However, there's no need to find logical reasons for finding second hand bib shorts a gopping idea - the irrational reasons are perfectly good enough.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    Shouldn't worry too much, as lots of people wear pants under their bib shorts anyway.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    johnny25 wrote:
    Shouldn't worry too much, as lots of people wear pants under their bib shorts anyway.

Yes, but if you want to buy those ones you do have to check that you are buying from an idiot first.
  • Would you buy a second hand tooth brush
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    sheets in hotels are washed at a rather higher temerature than 30°c - you don't (tend to) lie directly on the mattress or the pillow - both are covered by washable materials. Bib shorts are worn directly against the skin - it may be your arse it's nesstling against .. but hmm ... gross!

I had one pair of s/h shorts - from my brother - that's as far as I'd be prepared to go ...
  • A lot of you have never lived "Up north" and brought up in the 60s.
    It was second hand or bollock naked. trousers shirts undies the lot , hygiene , dont make me laugh.
    regards
    ILG
  • itboffin
    when i was a lad ...
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • No.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Didn't berniebiker try to sell a pair full of skid marks?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    ilovegrace wrote:
    A lot of you have never lived "Up north" and brought up in the 60s.
    It was second hand or bollock naked. trousers shirts undies the lot , hygiene , dont make me laugh.
    regards
    ILG

You make it sound like we were brought up eating coal. And working 27hrs a day down the pit.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Navrig2 wrote:

Don't you fart when on the bike?

As most cyclists will testify, never trust a fart
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Redbaron1 wrote:
    Agreed, would you buy a pair of worn knickers of eBay?
    it might depend who they belong to!

Seriously though, to respond to the original question, I personally would never buy 2nd hand shorts for all the reasons mentioned above.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • coriordan wrote:

Seriously? Any more unfounded allegations you want to put to me?
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    ilovegrace wrote:
    regards
    ILG

You make it sound like we were brought up eating coal. And working 27hrs a day down the pit.

Not exactly , working on a farm while at school for £1 a day.
    regards
    Mark
  • itboffin
    A whole £1 you lucky lucky barsteward
  • Anonymous
    coriordan wrote:

Calm down dear. Sadly the evidence has long slipped off the end of the for sale pages. Maybe it wasn't you then. Sorry
  • coriordan wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

Calm down dear. Sadly the evidence has long slipped off the end of the for sale pages. Maybe it wasn't you then. Sorry

I recently offered up for sale a pair of brand new Sportfuls, and offered to throw in a 2nd hand pair of Castelli's Free Aero Races for free.

Not only was the Castelli's pad not even on show, but they were impeccably clean.

If you're going to make disparaging personal remarks to someone either do it in person to my face or not on a public forum.
  • Anonymous
    Jesus you need to calm down.
  • coriordan wrote:
    Jesus you need to calm down.

You need to refrain from making derogatory personal remarks that affect someone's reputation as a seller on here.
  • Anonymous
    Mate. Had it been to your face I would have said the same thing and then apologised for the error as above.

Relax.
  • Ben6899
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    ilovegrace wrote:
    regards
    ILG

Not exactly , working on a farm while at school for £1 a day.
    regards
    Mark

School!? You were lucky!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Ben6899
    coriordan wrote:
    Mate. Had it been to your face I would have said the same thing and then apologised for the error as above.

Relax.

The lady doth protest too much.
    Ben

• I think Mr.thebiker has just had a serious bout of internet overload.

An in answer to the OP, nope nope nope nope NOPE.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • coriordan wrote:

Relax.

Your initial 'apology' was somewhat diluted by the fact that you were still of the opinion that the evidence was 'out there' but was no longer available.

Assuming the subsequent apology is genuine, then accepted.