2016 Worlds *spoilers*

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005

Nasty crash. Lost full control of the bike, presumably as a result of the heat.

That is sad. She'd already fallen today too by the look of the dressings.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    CuVajAoXgAAuj1P.jpg:large
    Looks like the finish of a hill climb. Only fewer spectators.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    102km? Seriously?
  • thegibdog wrote:
    I'd imagine it's much hotter than 35 degrees in the sun...

Riders citing 43degrees and more
  • 102km? Seriously?

That was the distance given on Eurosport as the alternative.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,631
    Cycling News claims the temperature peaked at 38 degrees. It was a 40km course. If that is too much then cancel the Vuelta and cycling in a lot of countries.

I can believe that someone inexperienced didn't drink enough, but I don't think it is reasonable to knock Qatar over the heat.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    That ain't right...

Anyone else hearing that Roxane Knetemann said in an interview after that there were no medics or ambulances on site?

yes :(

even when the teams crossed the line there didnt even appear to be the usual end of stage helpers handing out water bottles or in fact anyone much at all, not that water would have helped much at that point other than to chuck over yourself, but that was wrong there should have been some assistance as most of the riders I think were at the limit or beyond it, one of the Boels riders said they nearly passed out at the finish line, and there should have been medical teams at the finish to cope with riders suffering severe heat exhaustion, Ive experienced it once in heat like that and its horrible and lets be clear it can kill, fortunately the Twenty16 rider rapid unscheduled stomach evacuation hasnt made it on to youtube.

I think it will impact the approach alot of riders take to the ITT.
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    Cycling News claims the temperature peaked at 38 degrees. It was a 40km course. If that is too much then cancel the Vuelta and cycling in a lot of countries.

I can believe that someone inexperienced didn't drink enough, but I don't think it is reasonable to knock Qatar over the heat.

CN may be quoting that, but i am seeing Insta posts with riders citing higher temps. Heaven forbid that CN could actually get something wrong
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    It's a 25 mile TT - nothing to do with not drinking enough at all.

What's unreasonable is to blame the riders
  • ShutupJens wrote:

What's unreasonable is to blame the riders

This.
  • TheBigBean
    ShutupJens wrote:

I suspect that attitude goes a long way to explain some of the problems. At that temperature you need to drink.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:

CN may be quoting that, but i am seeing Insta posts with riders citing higher temps. Heaven forbid that CN could actually get something wrong

Pretty graph of the temperatures.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/qatar/doha/historic
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Pretty graph of the temperatures.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/qatar/doha/historic

Its OK, I'm sure you meant it in good faith
  • TheBigBean wrote:

Reasonable point. We'll have another look how the more experienced riders will manage in the TT, which I expect they will rather well.
  • Well the crowds seemed to enjoy it. Waving their little flag and all.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Those well known TT speed humps - https://twitter.com/CyclingHubTV/status ... 1484987392
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ^that's nothing. Can someone post the vid clip CyclingHubTV have just tweeted

Medic van driver driving like a lunatic and coming this close to taking out M Mathis in this morning's Mens U23 TT
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ^that's nothing. Can someone post the vid clip CyclingHubTV have just tweeted

Medic van driver driving like a lunatic and coming this close to taking out M Mathis in this morning's Mens U23 TT

https://twitter.com/cyclinghubtv/status ... 1439421441
  • rick_chasey
    coriordan wrote:

Standard commute isn't it Coriordan?
  • Anonymous
    for a race it would be a mild nuisance given my commuting ninja skillz.

Plenty of room for another car in that gap, probably a black cab u-turning
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Does 38 deg air temperature in Spanish plain feel cooler than 38 deg air temperature in the Doha sun?

(I think it can do, similar to the "wind chill" factor, but I can't quite establish any good science for myself as to why that might be the case!)
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Anonymous
    Humidity may make a difference. I've gone for a 10am bike ride in Dubai and the sweat didn't even appear on my face/skin as it evaporates straight off. We took 2 frozen insulated bottles out for a 20 mile pootle and my second one was practically boiling by the time we finished.

I think a full blown TT effort would ruin you in that heat.
  • TheBigBean
    larkim wrote:
    Does 38 deg air temperature in Spanish plain feel cooler than 38 deg air temperature in the Doha sun?

(I think it can do, similar to the "wind chill" factor, but I can't quite establish any good science for myself as to why that might be the case!)

Humidity is the equivalent to wind chill factor.

If you go here it has a "feels like" factor. It's 35, but feels like 34. Probably if you've just got off a plane from northern Europe if feels like a oven.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/qatar/doha/hourly
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    coriordan wrote:

Looks like he's getting a pretty good draft behind that red van.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931

She can't stand and doesn't know what planet she's on, let alone what day of the week it is. That's nasty.

Yesterday's events do suggest that once again money wins out over athletes welfare.
  • rick_chasey
    Dorset Boy wrote:

She can't stand and doesn't know what planet she's on, let alone what day of the week it is. That's nasty.

Yesterday's events do suggest that once again money wins out over our guilt.

FTFY.
  • to add to the fun, there are murmurings that a Sudanese rider has gone AWOL
  • rick_chasey
    to add to the fun, there are murmurings that a Sudanese rider has gone AWOL

Refugee? Or am I being seriously prejudiced?
  • How did he do that? He even rode the first sector (with a gearing more akin to what I use).

Anyway, Mathis won the U23 TT.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    coriordan wrote:

Did everyone get a large vehicle to draft or just Mathis?