Alternatives to a saddle bag

Comments

• neil h
    neil h Posts: 499
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Oh and p.s. Did I mention a 1ltr bidon looks sh1t? :lol: now, Camelback for road use, let me see.... :lol:

What is the deal with roadies and Camelbacks? I'd have thought they were an ideal all in one solution but everyone seems to stick with the good old bottles and saddle bags.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    neil h wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Oh and p.s. Did I mention a 1ltr bidon looks sh1t? :lol: now, Camelback for road use, let me see.... :lol:

What is the deal with roadies and Camelbacks? I'd have thought they were an ideal all in one solution but everyone seems to stick with the good old bottles and saddle bags.

Overkill. Uncomfortable on ride lengths we do. No need for any other space it may give at first glance, but you'd have to use as it obscures your pockets. We like quick access to pockets for gels etc. Stops you keeping as cool by making your back a sweatbox, etc etc. Not very aero, and road biking is much quicker than mtb-ing, so aero counts. Lots of reasons really. Oh, and it would look daft, like a saddle bag does unless you are forced to use one by needs for two bottles and pocket space.
  • mfin
    A 1ltr bidon doesn't look that bad, SiS do a good one with wide top. If I'm riding in the middle of nowhere in the summer I sometimes use one. Never once had an issue with security in any of the cages I use either.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    mfin wrote:
    A 1ltr bidon doesn't look that bad

See, told you, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :lol:

PP
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    So how do you folks who use a water bottle / tool bottle prevent things from rattling around inside? Looks like most of the "tool bottles" are just plastic bottles with wider caps, and I could fit most of what I normally carry in my pockets quite easily in one of my standard Podium 610ml bottles anyway (with the advantage that it would match the other one..).

Tried wrapping things (small CO2 pump, spare cartridge, svelte 50g spare tube, tyre levers and a tiny tool kit / puncture repair kit) in a thin waterproof but there isn't room for that. Stuffing plastic bags in seems rather inelegant and a waste of space..
  • neeb wrote:
    So how do you folks who use a water bottle / tool bottle prevent things from rattling around inside? Looks like most of the "tool bottles" are just plastic bottles with wider caps, and I could fit most of what I normally carry in my pockets quite easily in one of my standard Podium 610ml bottles anyway (with the advantage that it would match the other one..).

Tried wrapping things (small CO2 pump, spare cartridge, svelte 50g spare tube, tyre levers and a tiny tool kit / puncture repair kit) in a thin waterproof but there isn't room for that. Stuffing plastic bags in seems rather inelegant and a waste of space..

A tube will pad things out, then you stuff the levers, multitool, co2, plastic gloves and so on in there. Never get any noise from mine
  • pilot_pete
    Plus, you can always put everything in an old sock and place that in your bottle/ saddlebag etc.

PP
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    super_davo wrote:
    I've used a bottle for ages rather than a saddlebag, and now I've got one of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-bottle-cage-tool-bag

Saw one of those Vitorria bags leap out of the cage at IM Wales last weekend....

Got to love the description on Wiggle:

"Will fit in a jersey rear pocket or bottle cage."

In a rear pocket! Unless you are taking bottles up to your team in the peloton I wouldn't have thought you would want to fit a 500ml bidon sized container in your jersey pocket and ride around with it in there. I have a few jerseys where it certainly wouldn't fit in a pocket as they are not that elastic at the opening and would prove really uncomfortable and possibly snap stitching or rip the fabric if I tried.

I like the bottle cage solution but as stated before, some of us need two bottles. I know you can get bigger bottles than 500ml but I find that they end up too heavy and can snap the tang off the bottom of the bottle cage as you go over bumps unless you fit full alloy cages and then they tend to be too top heavy with those cages so you have to bend them to make a very tight fit. Let's face it, the vast majority of cages were designed to hold a 500ml bottle. I drink a lot as I sweat a lot and if you ride on the more remote lanes and roads near me running out of drink with only one bottle is a distinct possibility.

PP

Agree they aren't the most elegant but just use the size of bottle appropriate to the ride you're on, it's an extra and cheap tool in your armoury so only having one free cage doesn't hold you back. Today was a 60 miler so a standard 750 was all I took. Elite custom race cage holds 950ml bottle and tool bottle solid as a rock. Cheap, match the bike colours perfectly, never had one break.

Personally I think 500ml bidons look tiny and even though I have some, I don't use them. Even for commuting, I prefer to underfill a 750ml as that's what I'm used to. Plus I now have about 6 High5 bottles and loads of Tacx Shiva freebie bottles that are perfect for the job.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    neeb wrote:

I stuff in two inner tubes, tyre leavers, mini pump, mini-tool and patch kit in mine, so no room for anything to rattle.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I have a tube, levers, mini pump and multitool in my bottle cage toolkit - I wrap the multitool in a thin cotton cloth (actually a bit of torn-up duvet cover) to prevent rattling and be a useful hand-wipe should I get my hands dirty fixing stuff. I haven't yet ridden far enough to outlast one bottle of water, but do have a bigger bottle available if I need it.

I hate seeing bulging jersey pockets and don't like how it feels - I'll carry flat-ish stuff like a wallet, phone, garage door key, work entry pass etc in them (phone in a small zip-lock bag for rain/sweat proofing) and anything I need to stuff out of the way during the ride (eg sunglasses), but nothing with any bulk or weight.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • So I got the Vittoria Bottle Cage Tool Bag and just fitted it to the bike. Firstly, it was quite a bit smaller than I expected it to be. However, it did take all the stuff from my Topeak medium saddle bag.

I had my Lezyne mini pump attached to the outside of the Topeak saddle bag via the elastic loops on the bag itself, so I wasn't able to fit the pump onto the Vittoria tool bag. It's also about 2cm too small to fit the pump inside so I'll have to find another way to mount the pump on the bike. I can't use the supplied bottle cage mount as both bottle cage positions are now used.

There's no chance of rattling whatsoever and I went out for a short ride to check this out. The interior design is quite good to ensure that things are held securely. It's essentially in two halves with mesh pockets for each half.

Anyway, here's some photos of the Vittoria tool bag mounted in an Elite cage:

ToolBottle1_Web_zpsnngrdiwa.jpg

ToolBottle3_Web_zps4bcaivuy.jpg

ToolBottle2_Web_zpstch74fel.jpg

ToolBottle4_Web_zpsehduzyc8.jpg
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    rumbataz wrote:
    My saddle bag is big, heavy and ugly and it ruins the sleek lines of my road bike.

As do the pedals :wink:
  • Flasher wrote:
    rumbataz wrote:
    My saddle bag is big, heavy and ugly and it ruins the sleek lines of my road bike.

As do the pedals :wink:

Ah, good point! Yes, those pedals are ghastly to look at but there's a reason behind them. Earlier in the year I got frustrated using clipless pedals and shoes. I decided to revert to flat pedals and it was the best decision I had made. I wasn't using my road bike very much as I wasn't comfortable with it at the time. Getting used to clipless pedals compounded the worry and stress. I ended up using my old hybrid nearly all the time.

Anyway, I stuck huge flat pedals onto the road bike and now ride it almost all the time, with the hybrid relegated to a bike that I'm learning bike maintenance on.

I've now got very comfortable with bike control on the road bike - gears, braking, steering, etc., to the extent that after Winter I'll be putting the clipless pedals back on. :)
  • pilot_pete
    Is it me or does that Vittoria tool bottle draw attention to itself? Not exactly blending in as though it is part of the overall look...

PP
  • mfin
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Is it me or does that Vittoria tool bottle draw attention to itself? Not exactly blending in as though it is part of the overall look...

PP

I agree and it will get dirty. Pro 500ml with the logos removed blends in much better and can be wiped down as it is plastic. I am assuming the Vittoria one is fabric though?
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Out of stock, but the small one for 2 quid is perfect for either tools or a compact race cape.

https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-too ... 87889.html
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    1. rotate the vittoria 90 degrees, it holds much better in the elite cages when you go over bumps because the zip part will not slip.

2. Buy one of these pumps: they are brilliant and they fit comfortably inside the vittoria ! http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tope ... -prod11314
    Colnago Addict!
  • To answer a couple of questions in recent posts - yes, it's not exactly subtle! I'll try rotating it so the logos don't show so much. And, yes, the shell has a fabric exterior on it. It's nice to hold and actually feels like a quality product. The zip is quite chunky, which I guess it has to be.

@mrdsgs: thanks for the heads up on that tiny Topeak pump - that might do the job and I can use the Lezyne one I have for the other bike.

Now, here's the question: do I need a pump if I have CO2 cartridges and an inflater?
  • Jersey pocket, job done .
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • My back pockets are an alternative to a saddle bag. I can stuff quite alot in there.

One bike has an old tubular tyre holder to free up space in my back pocket. I have somewhere a bottle stuffed with tools e.t.c have not seen that in a while.

I have panniers on my daily bike. I can carry 48 cans of coke in those. Try that in a saddle bag or your back pockets.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    rumbataz wrote:
    So I got the Vittoria Bottle Cage Tool Bag and just fitted it to the bike. Firstly, it was quite a bit smaller than I expected it to be. However, it did take all the stuff from my Topeak medium saddle bag.

I had my Lezyne mini pump attached to the outside of the Topeak saddle bag via the elastic loops on the bag itself, so I wasn't able to fit the pump onto the Vittoria tool bag. It's also about 2cm too small to fit the pump inside so I'll have to find another way to mount the pump on the bike. I can't use the supplied bottle cage mount as both bottle cage positions are now used.

There's no chance of rattling whatsoever and I went out for a short ride to check this out. The interior design is quite good to ensure that things are held securely. It's essentially in two halves with mesh pockets for each half.

If you find you need to carry another bottle for a longer ride, you could get one of those nice behind the saddle bottle cages that triathletes use. :wink:
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    I have panniers on my daily bike. I can carry 48 cans of coke in those. Try that in a saddle bag or your back pockets.

Thats some coke habit you have there.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    The Leyzene pod Caddy is a bit neater than the Topeak Saddle Bags (Stock photo stolen from Wiggle)

photo.jpg
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ^ That does look quite neat. I read a review of it and it said you need a lot of rail exposed at the back to mount it which would suit someone who has their saddle set far back, but not those who have it set forward.
  • drlodge
    Yes it is quite neat, doesn't rub on the seat tube or come undone. It comes in two sizes, mine is the smaller one but I also bought the bigger one too just in case!

I don't think it needs that much room to mount, it almost sits on the "bend" of the rails at the back and has a pretty standard width clamp.

27443549664_3b45cc980b_o.jpg
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    rumbataz wrote:
    So I got the Vittoria Bottle Cage Tool Bag and just fitted it to the bike. Firstly, it was quite a bit smaller than I expected it to be. However, it did take all the stuff from my Topeak medium saddle bag.

You do know the pump mount is supposed to go under the bottle cage, don't you ?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • antfly wrote:
    You do know the pump mount is supposed to go under the bottle cage, don't you ?

Is it? Erm...nope, I didn't know that! Doh! You might have saved me a lot of grief. I'll fit it tomorrow. Many thanks.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I can't see what advantage a bottle cage bag has over a compact under the saddle bag.
  • drlodge
    Webboo wrote:
    I can't see what advantage a bottle cage bag has over a compact under the saddle bag.

Exactly, its taking up a bottle cage too which is a definite disadvantage.
    Find me on Strava
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    drlodge wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

Exactly, its taking up a bottle cage too which is a definite disadvantage.

Probably an OK solution is you don't do long rides. It does look tidy and will be easy to keep clean vs a saddle bag. But if you ride for longer than two hours at all, then it loses it's charm. Personally, I think saddle bags aren't anything to worry about and are much better than shoving loads of extra stuff into jersey pockets, which should be for clothing and food IMHO. There is a 'saddle bags aren't pro' thing, which is just wrong, because pros frequently do use saddle bags when training.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/r ... clist.html

" Rule 4: Yes, saddle bags are OK

“It’s simple: you need a saddle bag, otherwise if you get a puncture you're f---ed. Pros carry saddle bags when they are out training by themselves too. Ryder Hesjedal (of Cannondale-Garmin) has a whole MacGyver pack."