Alternatives to a saddle bag

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
My saddle bag is big, heavy and ugly and it ruins the sleek lines of my road bike. It's stuffed to the brim with bits and bobs. What alternatives are there and what's the bare minimum I'd need in case of problems out on a ride?

I've currently got a medium Topeak Aero Wedge saddle bag. I can use that quite happily on my hybrid as that's heavy and ugly so I don't care about its looks being spoiled.

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    Sticky pod.

http://www.gonebikingmad.co.uk/m20b0s50 ... Sticky-Pod

There is a current thread going on here which will give you an indication of what people are carrying on rides.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Back pocket, everything I need inc pump, tubes and levers fit in my central pocket and food etc in the others job done.
  • neil h
    neil h Posts: 499
    Yeah that was me :lol: That threads further down the page under the title "what's in your saddle bag".

Back to your question, I'm looking at storage bottles at the moment as they offer are far better looking solution. Something like this.

https://www.evanscycles.com/elite-byasi ... e-EV166257
  • You really don't need multi tools, chain links, chain tools etc etc as long as you maintain your bike well enough
    Back pocket of jersey should be ample storage
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    rumbataz wrote:
    what's the bare minimum I'd need in case of problems out on a ride?

The bare minimum would be either a phone, or money for a call box or taxi home. Whatever else you take is down to you.
  • neil h wrote:
    Yeah that was me :lol: That threads further down the page under the title "what's in your saddle bag".

Back to your question, I'm looking at storage bottles at the moment as they offer are far better looking solution. Something like this.

Get the smaller Pro storage one
  • neil h wrote:

This is actually a very good idea.
  • Imposter wrote:
    rumbataz wrote:
    what's the bare minimum I'd need in case of problems out on a ride?

The bare minimum would be either a phone, or money for a call box or taxi home. Whatever else you take is down to you.

Yeah, I always have my fully-charged phone with me and a tenner.
  • neil h
    neil h wrote:

Any chance of a link?
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    edited September 2016
    I've used a bottle for ages rather than a saddlebag, and now I've got one of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-bottle-cage-tool-bag

Possibly not as waterproof as the Elite or Pro, but really stylish, and organises your kit very well as it has mesh pockets, and splits in half to get at things easily.

I also use an Elite Maxicinco bottle (950ml) which means you don't miss the cage too much.
  • super_davo wrote:
    I've used a bottle for ages rather than a saddlebag, and now I've got one of these

Possibly not as waterproof, but really stylish, and organises you kit very well with mesh pockets, and sold in half to get at things easily.

I also use an Elite Maxicinco bottle (950ml) which means you don't miss the cage too much.

That seems really good too. And I guess that the contents don't rattle around so much?

I'll need to check in the morning if I can attach a second bottle cage to the frame of my road bike.
  • super_davo
    Its less likely to rattle than a normal bottle due to the pockets, but anything will rattle if you don't pack it right, including saddlebags.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Small, but sleek and looks better than most things slung under your saddle!

https://www.roadbikerider.com/product-r ... ke-storage

I've got one on my C60 and it looks good. Works for me.

PP
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    neil h wrote:
    neil h wrote:

Any chance of a link?

the 500ml one here http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Pro/Storage-Bottle-500cc/118
  • mfin
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Small, but sleek and looks better than most things slung under your saddle!

https://www.roadbikerider.com/product-r ... ke-storage

I've got one on my C60 and it looks good. Works for me.

PP

That's just swapping something that looks sh1t for something that looks slightly less sh1t but isn't as practical though (as far as contents rattling and space is concerned).

Storage bottle if you can ride with one bottle or pockets are the answer, any form of bike bum bag is a last resort (unless you don't care what anything looks like of course).
  • pilot_pete
    Err, in your opinion. Nothing rattles, that comes down to the person packing it. I carry a tube, inflator and inflator head with a chain link and two tyre levers in it. In my jersey pocket I carry a small multi tool and another tube and inflator. That works for me. If I filled my jersey pockets with that kit I would have less room for a rain jacket/ gilet, arm warmers, phone and food.

Beauty is a relative thing, some will hate what others love. I don't find my suggestion as offensive as you seem to and many of the cyclists whom I ride with think it is a very tidy solution.

5b17dec843.jpeg

Some of us need two bottles with drink in them so the bottle tool holder option doesn't work for us.

PP
  • mfin
    No problem, like I said, if you're into aesthetics then last resort is a bum bag if you need the space, which it sounds like you do. Nice frame btw.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I've always been one for stuffing the (minimal number of) required items in jersey pockets rather than desecrating the aesthetics of my bike with any form of saddle bag (although, naturally, said aethetics benefit rather than suffer from a tightly rolled tub toe-strapped under the saddle). However I'm almost as vain about my own appearance as about my bike's, and the inevitable droopyness at the rear of the jersey caused by even the most pared-down of puncture repair equipment has been getting me down recently. It looks fine whilst on the bike, but off the bike is decidedly uncomplimentary to one's posture. So I think I might investigate the storage bottle option. But what about when two bottles are required? Indeed, the whole issue seems to have no perfect solution and must have been created by the gods as a sign of the unattainability of perfection in the earthly realm.
  • neil h
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Beauty is a relative thing, some will hate what others love. I don't find my suggestion as offensive as you seem to and many of the cyclists whom I ride with think it is a very tidy solution.

5b17dec843.jpeg

PP

That is actually a really tidy solution to a problem, almost like it's part of the saddle. Rather than a funny little sack hanging underneath it.
  • Really love the way people are so precious about the looks of their bike (which might not even be that nice a bike in many people's eyes) but are happy to ruin, utterly ruin the line of their jersey by having massively sagging pockets hanging over their rear end.

Each to their own. I use saddle bags or a tool bottle depending on the bike and if I need 2 bottles or not. Oh another thing - most people's water bottles are crap looking and don't match their bike. But they're worried about a small saddle bag? :P
  • Pilot Pete wrote:
    Err, in your opinion. Nothing rattles, that comes down to the person packing it. I carry a tube, inflator and inflator head with a chain link and two tyre levers in it. In my jersey pocket I carry a small multi tool and another tube and inflator. That works for me. If I filled my jersey pockets with that kit I would have less room for a rain jacket/ gilet, arm warmers, phone and food.

5b17dec843.jpeg

Some of us need two bottles with drink in them so the bottle tool holder option doesn't work for us.

PP
    Im interested in this. Ive just checked it out and total cost is about £35.00 delivered from New Zealand. as oppose to my Arundel which was £10. I think I might try one. I think overladen jersey pockets look worse than a small saddle bag. Big saddle bags look awful. I want to fit two tubes and a canister. Only downside is doesnt look easy to transfer to another bike.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Really love the way people are so precious about the looks of their bike (which might not even be that nice a bike in many people's eyes) but are happy to ruin, utterly ruin the line of their jersey by having massively sagging pockets hanging over their rear end.

Each to their own. I use saddle bags or a tool bottle depending on the bike and if I need 2 bottles or not. Oh another thing - most people's water bottles are crap looking and don't match their bike. But they're worried about a small saddle bag? :P
    Totally agree
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • The thought of landing on my lower spine with a Jersey stuffed full with a multi tool/tyre levers/mini pump etc...
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • super_davo
    neeb wrote:
    I've always been one for stuffing the (minimal number of) required items in jersey pockets rather than desecrating the aesthetics of my bike with any form of saddle bag (although, naturally, said aethetics benefit rather than suffer from a tightly rolled tub toe-strapped under the saddle). However I'm almost as vain about my own appearance as about my bike's, and the inevitable droopyness at the rear of the jersey caused by even the most pared-down of puncture repair equipment has been getting me down recently. It looks fine whilst on the bike, but off the bike is decidedly uncomplimentary to one's posture. So I think I might investigate the storage bottle option. But what about when two bottles are required? Indeed, the whole issue seems to have no perfect solution and must have been created by the gods as a sign of the unattainability of perfection in the earthly realm.

Aside from completely agreeing with those that say stuffing pockets to the brim looks ugly, my Elite bottle takes pretty much 1 litre. I find that enough for 3 hour plus rides in the height of summer, up to all day in winter. Add a couple of High5 zero tabs in your tool bottle and some tap water mid ride and your good for another 3. And if I'm going for more than 3 hours, a quick stop at a cafe or shop for some water isn't the end of the world.

It's this one:
    http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do? ... AjqS8P8HAQ

Really like the look of that Aero clam though, looks like the thing for my TT bike.
  • pilot_pete
    Im interested in this. Ive just checked it out and total cost is about £35.00 delivered from New Zealand. as oppose to my Arundel which was £10. I think I might try one. I think overladen jersey pockets look worse than a small saddle bag. Big saddle bags look awful. I want to fit two tubes and a canister. Only downside is doesnt look easy to transfer to another bike.

There is no UK importer for the aeroclam yet (as far as I am aware). I got a club mate who visits NZ a few times a year to bring me one back.

It is only two Allen bolts to clamp to the saddle rails, but it is fiddly to fit. What would suggest is ask the maker how much for extra 'lids' if you see what I mean. That's the top part of the clam that is attached to the saddle rails. Then it would simply be a case of removing the bottom part with all your bits in and transferring that between bikes.

It really is very neat but look at the site as it is on the small side, all depends on how much junk you want to carry with you!

PP
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    super_davo wrote:
    I've used a bottle for ages rather than a saddlebag, and now I've got one of these:

Possibly not as waterproof as the Elite or Pro, but really stylish, and organises your kit very well as it has mesh pockets, and splits in half to get at things easily.

Saw one of those Vitorria bags leap out of the cage at IM Wales last weekend....
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Pretty much always use a Rose tool bottle, easy to switch between bikes and remove when locking up the commuter.
    I use the saddle bag on rare occasions I need two bottles.
    Like others I don't like filling pocket space with tools and spares.
  • pilot_pete
    super_davo wrote:

Saw one of those Vitorria bags leap out of the cage at IM Wales last weekend....

Got to love the description on Wiggle:

"Will fit in a jersey rear pocket or bottle cage."

In a rear pocket! Unless you are taking bottles up to your team in the peloton I wouldn't have thought you would want to fit a 500ml bidon sized container in your jersey pocket and ride around with it in there. I have a few jerseys where it certainly wouldn't fit in a pocket as they are not that elastic at the opening and would prove really uncomfortable and possibly snap stitching or rip the fabric if I tried.

I like the bottle cage solution but as stated before, some of us need two bottles. I know you can get bigger bottles than 500ml but I find that they end up too heavy and can snap the tang off the bottom of the bottle cage as you go over bumps unless you fit full alloy cages and then they tend to be too top heavy with those cages so you have to bend them to make a very tight fit. Let's face it, the vast majority of cages were designed to hold a 500ml bottle. I drink a lot as I sweat a lot and if you ride on the more remote lanes and roads near me running out of drink with only one bottle is a distinct possibility.

PP

Oh and p.s. Did I mention a 1ltr bidon looks sh1t? :lol: now, Camelback for road use, let me see.... :lol:
  • super_davo wrote:
    completely agreeing with those that say stuffing pockets to the brim looks ugly

but nowhere near as ugly as a saddle bag