shane sutton - hardman or heinous? independent review

Comments

• Salsiccia1 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Did anyone hear Tony Doyle talking about this on Radio 5 Live this morning? Apparently he was complaining about the panel having women on it. :roll:

Did they ask him about drugs in the UK peloton during his time racing?

Ouch.
  • andyp wrote:
    Did anyone hear Tony Doyle talking about this on Radio 5 Live this morning? Apparently he was complaining about the panel having women on it. :roll:

For gawd's sake

Dinosaur Doyle.

I think it's flipping great that it's an all women panel.
    Not going to be easy to con that lot with just tears and bullshit.
    Facts and evidence only, m'lord.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    andyp wrote:

For gawd's sake

Dinosaur Doyle.

I think it's flipping great that it's an all women panel.
    Not going to be easy to con that lot with just tears and bullshit.
    Facts and evidence only, m'lord.

Unfortunately, Doyle is still of the old masons BC mindset it seems.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Following an internal investigation, the British Cycling board has upheld an allegation made by Jess Varnish that former Technical Director Shane Sutton had used inappropriate and discriminatory language. The board wishes to put on record its sincere regret that this happened. The findings of the investigation will help the development of the organisation alongside the independent review into the culture of the World Class Programme, jointly commissioned by British Cycling and UK Sport, and led by Annamarie Phelps.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    He'd be an excellent hire Aqua Marine (or whatever that new Irish team is called)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    He'd be a excellent hire Aqua Marine (or whatever that new Irish team is called)

I think he'll be with a road team, toute suite, fer shure

And he should crack on with writing his bio. Got a lot of scores to settle.
  • No shortage of job offers, especially after the GB performance in Rio. He knows all the secrets, and where all the bodies are buried.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    A dinosaur, albeit one with talent.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178
    RichN95 wrote:
    He'd be a excellent hire Aqua Marine (or whatever that new Irish team is called)

Would love him to rejoin Sky initially purely to see Matt Lawton and the Daily Mail drown in their own bile and false indignation.
  • Sheesh, is Tony Gibb good for a few quid?
    He called Becky bulky, during last week's Euros commentary.
    St Jess slays the dinosaur, my ass.
    No country for old men sure enough.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    The timing hasn't helped him - can't help but think everything that has gone on since meant that it was inevitable he wasn't coming back - he'd have needed an absolutely clean bill of health and that was never likely.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Can I be the devils advocate here.. in the European track worlds just gone.... did Jess Varnish appear?, and if so, did she achieve anything? I personally don't know, I don't recall seeing her name in any headlines...so maybe Sutton was right, she did lack that certain something... its the delivery that upset her, coupled with the fact that deeeeep down, where she maybe didn't want to look, she knew he was right, just my personal thought..i have no axe to grind with either party, I just think it's all a bit sad when sports people, not just cyclists, go running to the media when something doesn't go their way, footballers are a prime example.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I think you re right Vinny, but such is life these days.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Can I be the devils advocate here.. in the European track worlds just gone.... did Jess Varnish appear?, and if so, did she achieve anything? I personally don't know, I don't recall seeing her name in any headlines...so maybe Sutton was right, she did lack that certain something...

no Jess isnt part of the team anymore BC dropped her from the programme after the worlds back in March, and only BC get to pick who represents TeamGB, so she wasnt at the Euros because shes not in the team anymore, so its got nothing to do with it, I dont even think shes riding track at the moment even in a private training capacity..

even if she had been still been part of the BC team, BC are doing the send the academy + 1 or 2 senior squad thing again, so she'd probably have been left out anyway.
  • SPaM02 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Would love him to rejoin Sky initially purely to see Matt Lawton and the Daily Mail drown in their own bile and false indignation.

do you think this will happen now?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Can I be the devils advocate here.. in the European track worlds just gone.... did Jess Varnish appear?, and if so, did she achieve anything? I personally don't know, I don't recall seeing her name in any headlines...so maybe Sutton was right, she did lack that certain something... its the delivery that upset her, coupled with the fact that deeeeep down, where she maybe didn't want to look, she knew he was right, just my personal thought..i have no axe to grind with either party, I just think it's all a bit sad when sports people, not just cyclists, go running to the media when something doesn't go their way, footballers are a prime example.

Whether Varnish is good enough or not, Sutton's language was always likely to end in trouble. Although one may have catalysed the other it's not much defence to say that he was correct about Varnish's potential for future success.
  • SPaM02 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

That's a little extreme don't you think?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Met him once at (I think) the Lewes Crit - early 90's. I have no idea what he's like as a coach but he came over as a total 4rse. I guess there will be some who could work under him and some that couldn't. I remember him leaning out of a window of a car and shouting profanities at Wiggo going up a hill in Majorca in the heat, at altitude. Hardly 21st century.

So I am glad Specialgueststar dropped him. Hope you gave him a sarcastic pat on the back when you passed him.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • RichN95.
    SPaM02 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Oh god, it's escaped. Someone get the tranquilizers and put it back in its enclosure.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    SPaM02 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Oh god, it's escaped. Someone get the tranquilizers and put it back in its enclosure.

You're defending the following quote?
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Is there any mention what the tribunal decision was on the veracity of the derogatory comments he allegedly made towards the paralympians?
  • RichN95.
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    Is there any mention what the tribunal decision was on the veracity of the derogatory comments he allegedly made towards the paralympians?
    No. Separate case apparently.
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178
    SPaM02 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

It was a tongue in cheek statement - well partially.

I assume that you think the Daily Mail and Mr Lawton are bastions for the truth and all that, whereas I think they are just a typical tabloid, feeding off the latest scandal with no real interest in the sport of cycling. It's the sort of paper read by the permanently outraged who will no doubt move on as soon as the next scandal in a different sport occurs. Matt Lawton is a footie journo who probably couldn't name the winner of last years Giro without looking it up - could you WCF?
  • pinno
    According to the Beeb, BC are looking for a replacement Technical Director and that 'there's no way back for him'.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Pinno wrote:
    According to the Beeb, BC are looking for a replacement Technical Director and that 'there's no way back for him'.

I think the replacement will come from outside of cycling. I'd like to see someone like Bri Smith there, but the organisation needs new blood (no puns, please).

Shane is a great coach and so many riders owe a lot to him, but as a head of the performance plan? He just wasn't the right guy for a number of reasons for that particular role unfortunately, but I would never let that detract from what a great guy he is/can be.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.

Part of the issue is that track is just about one thing: Olympics medals. And track sprinters are a one trick pony. So once you're out, it's pretty much the end of your career. Riders on the pursuit team have options, so Dani King for example is able to continue a career, go to Worlds etc - what's a track sprinter going to do? When you're looking at the end of your career at 25 why wouldn't you go down fighting, especially when the one you're up against is renowned for being willing to dish it. And let's face it, the power imbalance is highly skewed towards the coach in the BC system - there aren't many options when your coach is your selector / line manager. But clearly when he believes in someone, he certainly makes a difference.
  • Pinno wrote:
    Met him once at (I think) the Lewes Crit - early 90's. I have no idea what he's like as a coach but he came over as a total 4rse. I guess there will be some who could work under him and some that couldn't. I remember him leaning out of a window of a car and shouting profanities at Wiggo going up a hill in Majorca in the heat, at altitude. Hardly 21st century.

So I am glad Specialgueststar dropped him. Hope you gave him a sarcastic pat on the back when you passed him.

These things never happened did they. FFS.
  • JSCL wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

I think the replacement will come from outside of cycling. I'd like to see someone like Bri Smith there, but the organisation needs new blood (no puns, please).

Shane is a great coach and so many riders owe a lot to him, but as a head of the performance plan? He just wasn't the right guy for a number of reasons for that particular role unfortunately, but I would never let that detract from what a great guy he is/can be.

Brian Smith isn't from outside cycling. Can't say given his previous form that he would be a sensible choice.

By all accounts, BC have made a decision. Not sure how they could have done considering they haven't advertised the rode yet. Mind you, they did the Sutton review without speaking to his colleagues or direct reports so perhaps they are on a roll?
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    Met him once at (I think) the Lewes Crit - early 90's.

I was there as a spectator.
    Pinno wrote:
    I remember him leaning out of a window of a car and shouting profanities at Wiggo going up a hill in Majorca in the heat, at altitude.

Footage from a documentary about SKY - I can find the clip if you want me to.
    Pinno wrote:

I take what SpecialGuestStar says as true.
    These things never happened did they. FFS.

What gives?