2017 Gear

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    Dish spends too much time in the City to understand the match that is blue & brown.

That's why sky's the City boy's favourite. Blue & Black. No brown in town. :P
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Right... I'll expect to see you wearing brown shorts next time we ride...
  • rick_chasey
    :roll: in my job we need to look & sound like our clients...

I do however have a dark brown featherdown puffer to stick underneath my navy suit jacket when on my lunch break ;).
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Dish spends too much time in the City to understand the match that is blue & brown.

That's why sky's the City boy's favourite. Blue & Black. No brown in town. :P

Blue suit - brown shoes is a fundamental rule of the universe.

They must wear blue suits on occasion in the City?
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • rick_chasey
    No brown in town.

Navy suits black shoes.

If they don't go your suit is too light.

I can give you the history of that if you really want.

FWIW I wore black shoes with a navy suit at my wedding and I looked excellent.
  • dish_dash
    FTFY
    FWIW I wore black shoes with a navy suit at my wedding and I think I looked excellent.

:wink:
  • Rick is correct. No brown in town. The uniform of blue suits (with too short trousers) and brown shoes is the reserve of the sort of chap who thinks full beards, sleeve tattoos, ear stretchers and top knots look really really good together. They don't. In years to come this 'look' will be the twentyteens equivalent of the mullet.
  • rick_chasey
    Navy has its place mrpace.
  • I agree, own one mself, which is paired with black brogues

I do have a soft spot for brown shoes, but never for work
  • dish_dash
    (with too short trousers)

What is with that? It looks so daft...
  • rick_chasey
    Meh, I don't wear the look myself, but I get it.

It's a derivative of the Italian look which is: You've bought some expensive shoes and worked hard to match the socks with the rest of your get up, giving your overall dark colours look a bit of spruce, (or gone without socks because your shoes are expensive enough that they don't rub and you don't answer to the man) so you want to make sure the world chuffing well sees the effort!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    Is there no more 2017 gear? :roll:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    Niet dus.
  • dish_dash
    Meh, I don't wear the look myself, but I get it.

It's a derivative of the Italian look which is: You've bought some expensive shoes and worked hard to match the socks with the rest of your get up, giving your overall dark colours look a bit of spruce, (or gone without socks because your shoes are expensive enough that they don't rub and you don't answer to the man) so you want to make sure the world chuffing well sees the effort!

Seriously........ :roll:

I have managed to beat the no socks look out of one colleague... though his trousers are still waaay too short.
  • I do the 'too short' trouser thing, but always wear boots (i don't own a single pair of actual shoes, just boots or trainers) so my socks don't ordinarily show, however, I do also wear socks in a hue to match what else I'm wearing ... Basically for all the reasons Rick mentioned ... I do draw the line at skinny fit trousers though as a) they wouldn't possibly fit over my cyclists legs/arse and b) I'm not a rock star or student.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    No brown in town.

Navy suits black shoes.

No brown in town..........if you still think you live in Edwardian England, that is.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    So brown bar tape on the factor is a yes or no?
    Half man, Half bike
  • No brown in town.

Navy suits black shoes.

No brown in town..........if you still think you live in Edwardian England, that is.

no top hat this side of the Thames

Pocket watch to the left on a Sunday in Regents Park

Scotchlite G string on Hampstead Heath after dark

...etc
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    What about a brown saddle to go with a classic steel blue bike like a Colnago Master? Still no brown in town? :wink:IMG_5269-f.jpg
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Dinyull wrote:
    Am I the only one that likes the brown AG2R kit?

No. It's only behind FDJ in the Pro peloton, IMO.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    On the suit discussion, if you head into the City on a week day I think it looks like the blokes are in uniform. Such a shame because that look is clearly being achieved through wearing quality shoes and suit.

No one dare buck the trend and throw a bit of Harris Tweed into the mix. Or a pair of brown Magnannis.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Saw this recently in the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... es-finance

Wearing brown shoes could wreck your chance at an interview
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    ''One City worker, swaying gently atop a pair of brown brogues, was even less aware of the dress code. “I’ve been on a bender for the last nine days mate, so I’m not really caring about what I’m wearing,” he says.

“My jacket doesn’t match my trousers … I’ve just put this on to show up for work. Shoes are the least of my worries.”

Genius.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • rick_chasey
    Sounds like my former neighbour.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    I wear brown brogues and chinos for work usually... If I'm seeing a client who works in a nice office I wear a navy suit. Same brown brogues though ;). Figure since I don't work in the city stupid rules don't apply. Worn brown shoes for my last few interviews too and it's not done me any harm (could just be cos I'm so f*cking great, mind).

Did have the experience in Aberdeen of going to meet the head of HSE at one of our clients in a suit to find he'd just got back from offshore. He was wearing trackies - I felt a bit silly.

Anyway. 2017 gear?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    ...silly.

Anyway. 2017 gear?

Yes please.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • After complaining about people posting bike related but non pro race items, you've just spent 2 pages discussing the colour brown. Bravo!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    you'd fit in well in NL Bob...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    you'd fit in well in NL Bob...

That's probably quite an insult among the fashionistas.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    I know we've seen it before, but I can't get enough of this beauty...
    Diamondback-andean-custom.jpg]