My Vintage Build

13»

Comments

• rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    commuted two days on it now. suddenly-forecast deluges for this evening so was quite anxious to get home before introducing road grit into the Delta brakes. Thankfully made it dry *phew*.

teething tasks for the weekend:
    - replace rear derailleur cable guide and add feral
    - very slightly tension Brooks saddle, as the front shackle rattles when I get off the saddle
    - tighten up the headset, it's a leeetle loose, got a bit of fork judder under braking
    - tweak the limit screws on FD, occasionally over-shift and throw the chain over the top on front
    - apply propanol to braking surface, terrible brake squeal (OEM pads)
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    rower63 wrote:
    commuted two days on it now. suddenly-forecast deluges for this evening so was quite anxious to get home before introducing road grit into the Delta brakes. Thankfully made it dry *phew*.

- very slightly tension Brooks saddle, as the front shackle rattles when I get off the saddle
    - tighten up the headset, it's a leeetle loose, got a bit of fork judder under braking
    - tweak the limit screws on FD, occasionally over-shift and throw the chain over the top on front

They probably just need toe-ing in.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rower63
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rower63 wrote:

thanks - I hadn't thought of that, I'll give it a go
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • rower63 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rower63 wrote:

thanks - I hadn't thought of that, I'll give it a go

The joy of anodised rims... :wink: I seem to recall I had a bit of squealing too... how's life on tubs
    left the forum March 2023
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Ah btw I found that stem and it is 100mm with a spare locking screw and nut, I also found the very old shimano down tube shifters my oh my for shimano kit they're bleeding lovely.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rower63
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Very pretty, but 2016 group on 1990 frame? Not sure I approve.

Tweaked up mine over the weekend, and rode in today. Toed-in the brake shoes, no squeal any more. Tightened up the headset, no fork judder any more. Replaced the RD cable-casing and included a ferrule. A bit better, but still not right. A little too much tension, easily fixed by reducing it a bit, but I suspect there might be too much friction in the cable-guide under the BB shell, which is just a groove in the metal. I might have to fabricate a plastic liner-guide of sorts.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    rower63 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Very pretty, but 2016 group on 1990 frame? Not sure I approve.
    Needs disc brakes :twisted: :twisted:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rower63
    just found this: [Sheldon Brown:] "Synchro derailers and shift levers are incompatible with anything else, and the Synchro system worked so poorly that it is not a good idea to try to set the system up on a bike you intend to actually ride."

Haha this helps explain some of my issues, especially my spontaneous chain-skating crash while competitively sprinting up Broomfield's 13% at 900W+ which probably tested the set-up beyond what was wise...

they are pretty though
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    rower63 wrote:
    just found this: [Sheldon Brown:] "Synchro derailers and shift levers are incompatible with anything else, and the Synchro system worked so poorly that it is not a good idea to try to set the system up on a bike you intend to actually ride."

But apart from that what's wrong with it?
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Another thing that Sheldon said, regarding European freewheels (such as your Regina one):
    European freewheels with grooves running along the tops of the teeth were prone to a semi-freewheeling mode, as the side plates of the chain would skate along the grooves.....
    I used to regularly modify Regina and Atom freewheels by re-grinding the teeth of the sprockets so that they somewhat resembled those of Sun Tour or Shimano sprockets...a treatment later known as "Sheldo-Glide."

It does indeed sounds like your combination of Syncro gears, plus a Regina freewheel is the problem.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Rhodrich wrote:
    Another thing that Sheldon said, regarding European freewheels (such as your Regina one):
    European freewheels with grooves running along the tops of the teeth were prone to a semi-freewheeling mode, as the side plates of the chain would skate along the grooves.....
    I used to regularly modify Regina and Atom freewheels by re-grinding the teeth of the sprockets so that they somewhat resembled those of Sun Tour or Shimano sprockets...a treatment later known as "Sheldo-Glide."

It does indeed sounds like your combination of Syncro gears, plus a Regina freewheel is the problem.

Sorry I asked!
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • rower63
    It's not too different from what I expected.

Very much like an old restored MG car, it works fine except under fairly extreme pressure, it's very good-looking, it draws a LOT of admiration. But basically compared to today's "riding experience", it's a bit sh!t.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    rower63 wrote:

Very much like an old restored MG car, it works fine except under fairly extreme pressure, it's very good-looking, it draws a LOT of admiration. But basically compared to today's "riding experience", it's a bit sh!t.

Yeah... I found it to be like that too. Steel rims in the wet were not good then, and they're not good now. Then again, mine is only a Falcon :oops:
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    leeefm wrote:
    rower63 wrote:

Yeah... I found it to be like that too. Steel rims in the wet were not good then, and they're not good now. Then again, mine is only a Falcon :oops:

Which is why modern equipment on vintage frames is the way to go for, bike tarty or no.
  • london-red
    Speaking of bike tarty, who was the chap on the Colnago Master tonight?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,683
    Ali rims are a must, chrome rims were lethal. The 9 speed indexed down tube shifters on my sons bike are brilliant, look old and just work. Careful selection of components to get the best of both worlds.
    Old MGs have always been more than a bit rubbish.
  • rower63 wrote:

Haha this helps explain some of my issues, especially my spontaneous chain-skating crash while competitively sprinting up Broomfield's 13% at 900W+ which probably tested the set-up beyond what was wise...

they are pretty though

I seem to remember synchro can be setup to be like a normal friction shifter, ie not indexed and should work fine that way
  • London-Red wrote:

Which is why modern equipment on vintage frames is the way to go for, bike tarty or no.

But if you are not interested in the period experience, then what's the point of an old frame to start with?
  • london-red
    London-Red wrote:

But if you are not interested in the period experience, then what's the point of an old frame to start with?

Because they look pretty.
  • rower63
    ...I seem to remember synchro can be setup to be like a normal friction shifter, ie not indexed and should work fine that way
    yes this is the direction I'll be heading I think.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    London-Red wrote:
    leeefm wrote:
    rower63 wrote:

Weak argument surely? The best you can say on that logic is that it isn't a good idea to use steel rims on a vintage frame and not many would disagree with that in most cases. Unless you think that steel rims are a modern idea?

Modern equipment on a vintage frame tends to look a bit sh1t really. It just implies confused priorities. About the only exception is chainsets - I'd certainly agree that my RRA is harder work to ride than my modern bikes because of the gearing but otherwise the old bike is as much fun to ride as a modern one if a little slower.
    London-Red wrote:
    London-Red wrote:

Because they look pretty.

But not when you put clumsy looking enormous modern STI shifters on them and black components.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • london-red
    I wasn't suggesting using fugly components..
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    London-Red wrote:
    I wasn't suggesting using fugly components..

Ahh, but what isn't fugly these days? Even Campag Athena at it's 2010ish modern but period best looks clumpy compared to the proper period kit. At best it is acceptable but even then the shifters are just too large to look that good on slim period tubed frames.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Rolf F wrote:
    Ahh, but what isn't fugly these days? Even Campag Athena at it's 2010ish modern but period best looks clumpy compared to the proper period kit. At best it is acceptable but even then the shifters are just too large to look that good on slim period tubed frames.

That's why I like my old Sachs friction shift drivetrain. Actually I put a - *gasp* - Shimano freewheel on it, and you'd be surprised how well the sprockets shift with hyperglide. Back in the day it used to rattle for about 20 yards before you got it sorted (or was I just crap?).
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rower63
    itboffin wrote:
    Agree, nice.

Incidentally, my Bottecchia is now converted to pure friction shift, has been for a while, but apart from a short test ride I've not had a chance to take her for a proper ride, it's been too wet whenever I might've had the chance.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013