Jeremy Vine road rage

124»

Comments

• I think we need a new kind of ban system, ignoring that serial offenders ignore the system.

Something like a suspended sentence. So, for X offence you get a ban but it's suspended, perhaps indefinitely. Puts you under pressure. Do it again, you get a proper ban. When that expires you're subject to some sort of retest. Then you have to display a C sign for a year. That kind of stuff. Proper overhaul.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    I think crushing her phone and banning her from social media would probably hurt her more.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Rolf F wrote:
    Surely a couple of years worth of driving ban would do the job. Then, having had a long time to think about it, maybe when she gets back behind the wheel she'll be a bit more all grown up about driving.
    IIRC, she wasn't licenced to drive to start with - so telling her she can't isn't much punishment.

Unfortunately, driving bans only punish the normally law abiding - not saying they're not deserved, but those who are happy to flout the law or think they're above the law aren't deterred by a(nother) ban.

I don't know what the answer is for this woman. She's already on suspended sentence - so I believe she should serve time issued for that. Her crimes this time were driving whilst uninsured and unlicenced - I think the actual altercation is minor as it was "just" an exchange of words.

Any fine and she'll claim poverty and the car probably wasn't hers, so you could take it away and crush it, but it won't have much impact. She' already proved she has scant regard for the law - so any sentence that doesn't use her time will have no effect. I think that she should be made to do community service - possibly whilst residing at her majesty's pleasure - perhaps she should work for a bike recycling shop that refurb bikes to sell to help the homeless. It needs to be something that will help her understand that the world doesn't owe her and she should learn to be polite to others.
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    I'll second the point about some not being bothered by a driving ban.

A banned drink driver crashed into my car in January 2010. It had to be written off. I found out that he had been banned 3 months earlier for being above the limit and had just carried on driving.

Even though I was the victim, I lost more than him. The car he was driving wasn't his and when he went to court, he was fined £50 for no insurance, plus costs etc. that took the amount up to £100. He had to do some community service, but it wasn't a massive amount. I lost a very good car (had just had new tyres all round too), had to sort out transport for a few days while my useless insurance company tried to sort things, had to find another car, and finally got a non fault result (because the car was insured) a year later.
  • Someone claiming to be her getting busy on Twitter, could be a good parody account or maybe she is that thick, has already incriminated herself in wanting to ignore any driving ban

@shaniquepearso2

Unless I'm missing something, Twitter account only has 89 tweets all since the trial started. Unlikely to be real, surely.

Now deleted so oddly giving it more credence than not!

You think?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Slowbike wrote:
    I don't know what the answer is for this woman.

It's possible that having to live the miserable life that she clearly does, is punishment enough.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

It's possible that having to live the miserable life that she clearly does, is punishment enough.
    Only if someone can plant an ear worm repeating "be nice" over and over, until she is. :twisted:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

I think some people thrive on appearing to be miserable.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    The problem is more that miserable people tend to take their misery out on others.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,765
    Appeal court has given her 9 months.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Good news for a change !
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Good although that was for the suspended sentence.

"The altercation with Mr Vine took place last August when she was already serving a suspended sentence for theft, assault causing actual bodily harm and resisting arrest.
    Judge Phillip Matthews told Pearson the suspended sentence would be activated.

Sentencing her, he said: "This is a bad case of loss of control by you, letting your anger take over. It has happened in the past."

For the offence of using threatening and abusive or insulting words or behaviour, involving Mr Vine, she was jailed for one month.For the charge of driving without reasonable consideration to other road users and a charge of driving without valid tax, to which she previously pleaded guilty, she received no separate punishment."
    FCN = 4
  • Once again, we as cyclists are being neglected by the courts and not getting the protection we deserve as vulnerable road users. A vast majority of this sentence is not because of her altercation with Vine, even though it gets her off our roads for nine months.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well prison just for what she did to Jeremy Vine would clearly be disproportionate!

Having the suspended sentance activated for similar, if lower level, behaviour to her previous conviction seems totally proportionate, on that basis adding extra fuel to the fire would seem pointless.

Justice served IMO.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.