Jeremy Vine road rage

Comments

• I missed, in the other report, that it had been committed. So, I'll increase that to 12. :D
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    A prison sentence is still not inevitable. I'm sure her defence will plead for leniency and she will end up free again.

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/court-judgemen ... -sentence/

What is the effect of breaching a suspended prison sentence?

If the defendant commits a further criminal offence during the operational period, it is likely the prison term must then be served.

If the defendant breaches the terms of the suspended sentence, or otherwise fails to comply with its terms – the custodial term is likely to be activated. In fact, there is a presumption that the suspended prison term will be activated in full or in part where the terms are breached, unless it is unjust.

Alternatively, the court can:

a. make any community requirements originally imposed more onerous
    b. extend the supervision period (where community requirements were imposed)
    c. extend the operational period (but not beyond two years from the date when the original order was made)
  • I missed, in the other report, that it had been committed. So, I'll increase that to 12. :D
    Doesn't it depend on her previous sentence, i.e. what was the effective one? Now that she didn't complete the probation, the effective sentence should be coming into effect (whatever that is in terms of length).
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Wont go down.
    Unfortunately the 'single mother' that was so blatantly raised by the defense will mean it wont happen.
  • One of the other reports also suggested her suspended sentence was complete, though that's clearly not the case.

I hope she brought a toothbrush.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Wont go down.
    Unfortunately the 'single mother' that was so blatantly raised by the defense will mean it wont happen.

Yep. Think she will walk free on this one. There are worse criminals out there....

If she'd smacked him in the mouth or driven at him in her car then she would go down no doubt.
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    SecretSam wrote:

The defence makes me laugh.

I see they have thrown the race card into the mix. They've also said the case has received too much attention as Jeremy Vine was involved. These things need attention, otherwise pieces of dirt behind the wheel like this will carry on.

Let's completely forget that she was already under a suspended sentence in the first place, eh. :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    benws1 wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

I see they have thrown the race card into the mix. They've also said the case has received too much attention as Jeremy Vine was involved. These things need attention, otherwise pieces of dirt behind the wheel like this will carry on.

Let's completely forget that she was already under a suspended sentence in the first place, eh. :)

I think she has received some racist abuse on twitter.

Regardless of her road rage problem, that isn't something to be brushed under the carpet.
  • benws1
    benws1 wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Regardless of her road rage problem, that isn't something to be brushed under the carpet.

No, it never is.

It isn't really relevant to her actions though, is it. I don't see how they can use it as a defence for what she did to Jeremy Vine.
  • rick_chasey
    benws1 wrote:

It isn't really relevant to her actions though, is it. I don't see how they can use it as a defence for what she did to Jeremy Vine.

No, but she has had hardship, and they tend to note that kinda stuff in courts, just like they note her behaviour during the court etc.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    benws1 wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

No. But it should have no bearing on the case, or her sentence, as it followed the event and should be treated separately.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Well, it's all over the front page(s).
  • benws1
    benws1 wrote:

No, but she has had hardship, and they tend to note that kinda stuff in courts, just like they note her behaviour during the court etc.

Fair enough.

Doesn't make sense to me though as she clearly doesn't think she has done anything wrong. Sometimes, a bit of hardship is what these type of people need.

If she doesn't learn her lesson, she may pick on the wrong person one day. Someone who is more aggressive than she is. She may end up on the receiving end of proper hardship.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,765
    edited February 2017
    From the article in the Guardian:
    O’Keeffe said Pearson was a single mother and the incident was “out of character in the sense it was unplanned, it was impulsive and it was something which she in her interview with the police is very willing to accept and did accept she was wrong”.
    So given that she has previous for ABH it was only out of character in that it was unplanned, so she normally plans this kind of thing. How does that make it better?
    The people racially abusing her on Twitter should be dealt with, but I'd say that should be a separate matter. That isn't what made her do it. Being a horrible person is what made her do it, her attitude is disgusting.
  • No excuse for the racist abuse full stop. But that should not be taken into account for the case and punishment.
    the fact the case received more media attention is exactly what is needed.

And @ Semantik, maybe there are but do we stop custodial sentences on lesser crimes? And where is this magic line to be drawn? She should be put away but due to having a child that wont happen. Community service for about 10years might give people pause for thought the next time an "out of character and impulsive" action is her choice...
  • rick_chasey
    Let's face it. We've all had worse on the roads. I certainly have.

Ultimately if I'm not hurt I shrug it off. Unlike Jeremy Vine, i have neither the profile, the resources, nor the time to take every case like this to court.
  • benws1
    No excuse for the racist abuse full stop. But that should not be taken into account for the case and punishment.

And @ Semantik, maybe there are but do we stop custodial sentences on lesser crimes? And where is this magic line to be drawn? She should be put away but due to having a child that wont happen. Community service for about 10years might give people pause for thought the next time an "out of character and impulsive" action is her choice...

The real victim of this is her child.

I wonder what sort of values she is teaching it?
  • rick_chasey
    benws1 wrote:
    No excuse for the racist abuse full stop. But that should not be taken into account for the case and punishment.

a646c45633cfab95a2aaf727480883aba7de652148fb3601db61853a62d3b3da.jpg
  • Exactly Ben. Thats why the punishment needs to be tough if not custodial.

"Mummy, why do you keep having to go and scrap up Dog $hit from the local park?"
    "Cos I don't know how to drive and am a violent b!tch. Don't be like me"
  • benws1
    benws1 wrote:

a646c45633cfab95a2aaf727480883aba7de652148fb3601db61853a62d3b3da.jpg

That's a stock reply to anyone who mentions kids in these instances. It's been done to death on many forums. :)

However, it is a valid point about the kid.
  • veronese68
    She's a repeat offender, unfortunately I suspect even a custodial sentence will not change her ways. But if you get a suspended sentence and don't modify your behaviour of course the punishment should be escalated, otherwise it's no punishment.
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    If she's that bothered about the welfare of her child perhaps she should moderate her behaviour in the first place, rather than use it a a get out of jail free card.
  • Someone claiming to be her getting busy on Twitter, could be a good parody account or maybe she is that thick, has already incriminated herself in wanting to ignore any driving ban

@shaniquepearso2
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Veronese68 wrote:
    From the article in the Guardian:
    O’Keeffe said Pearson was a single mother and the incident was “out of character in the sense it was unplanned, it was impulsive and it was something which she in her interview with the police is very willing to accept and did accept she was wrong”.
    So given that she has previous for ABH it was only out of character in that it was unplanned, so she normally plans this kind of thing. How does that make it better?
    The people racially abusing her on Twitter should be dealt with, but I'd say that should be a separate matter. That isn't what made her do it. Being a horrible person is what made her do it, her attitude is disgusting.

How can her defence lawyer say that it's out of character ? She's got convictions already ? She's a violent thug. Jail her.
  • veronese68
    Fenix wrote:
    How can her defence lawyer say that it's out of character ? She's got convictions already ? She's a violent thug. Jail her.
    Exactly. Also in response to ABFG, how is a driving ban going to put someone off if they are already driving without a licence, she clearly doesn't give a ...
  • Someone claiming to be her getting busy on Twitter, could be a good parody account or maybe she is that thick, has already incriminated herself in wanting to ignore any driving ban

@shaniquepearso2

Unless I'm missing something, Twitter account only has 89 tweets all since the trial started. Unlikely to be real, surely.

@shaniquepearso2

Unless I'm missing something, Twitter account only has 89 tweets all since the trial started. Unlikely to be real, surely.

Now deleted so oddly giving it more credence than not!
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Wont go down.

Take the kid away.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Surely a couple of years worth of driving ban would do the job. Then, having had a long time to think about it, maybe when she gets back behind the wheel she'll be a bit more all grown up about driving.
    Faster than a tent.......