Jeremy Vine road rage

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,099
edited April 2017 in Commuting chat
Just seen article in the Grauniad about an alleged road rage incident involving Jeremy Vine. Can't post link but is on Grauniad website. Woman in a car can't get past down narrow road, loses it.

It's the usual: "get off the road" bollocks. She's driving a Corsa, which is all you need to know.

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    It's on the BBC homepage too
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    And she's driving a car with no tax on it so she shouldn't have been there.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    cougie wrote:

how can you tell it has no tax?

you're aware tax discs dont exist anymore?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    edited August 2016
    Completely appalled by the comments under his Facebook post. Apparently 90% of the people who commented are of the opinion that the cyclist should simply move the f*ck out of the way when the space widened up. Why should he? He has the full right to cycle on the road and should not be intimidated by somebody who is having anger management issues.
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    And a very good comment that really sums it up:
    correct me if I'm wrong. but, doesn't the road-user "in front of you" have right of way? That was the case when I took my test... doubt that has changed?

So, going on the fact that the car was behind another road user. who has right of way, irrespective of whether they are a bike or not.... the car behind had no right to sound their horn and harrass the person in front....

The person in front was not doing anything wrong, using the lane in accordance with the rules of the road, and was travelling at a reasonable speed too, on what is a very short road.

There simply is no justification to driving up behind someone and mouthing-off with your horn because they aren't going the speed you want to zip around at...

When you take your test, you know this, because you have learnt the highway code... seems that you don't understand this now..... maybe re-learn the part on sounding your horn in your car or on you bike....it's not there for you to vent your frustration with....its there as a warning device to "warn" of pending danger.

It definately does not say anything about using it to harrass other road users because you are an arrogant driver in a rush, and can't hold up for a few seconds of your lifespan, while a cyclist passes along a double-parked road with a single-width of available space.

As for him stopping, perfectly justified. She should be far enough behind him that him braking is not an issue anway.... 2-3 lengths... and she asked for a confrontation the moment she turned onto that road, rushed up to him and began harassing him... so he is perfectly righ to stop and tell her she is being unreasonable and should just be patient....not like the road is a mile long is it....

Just another "Wind-up merchant driver" who didn't like being told about themselves when they were in the wrong...
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    itboffin wrote:
    cougie wrote:

the dvla website...technically I dont believe you are meant to use it to look up cars other than ones you own, or at least that used to be the policy, but theres nothing to stop you...yet.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    vpnikolov wrote:
    Completely appalled by the comments under his Facebook post. Apparently 90% of the people who commented are of the opinion that the cyclist should simply move the f*ck out of the way when the space widened up. Why should he? He has an the full right to cycle on the road and should not be intimidated by somebody who is having anger management issues.

it might be appalling to see writ large as they say, but its a fairly representative chunk of the way people think & behave towards cyclists on the road IME :(
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    awavey wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    cougie wrote:

the dvla website...technically I dont believe you are meant to use it to look up cars other than ones you own, or at least that used to be the policy, but theres nothing to stop you...yet.

well if thats the case someone report it, chances are this special person had not tax or insurance and worse a ban already, I very much dislike JV but he has a point this woman is going to hurt someone or worse, sounds selfish but it could be one us
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    She would have got a mouthful of abuse from me as soon as she leant on her horn. Then I would have blasted through the next red light just to p*ss her off a bit more. To be fair Jezzer WAS riding a bit like an old aged pensioner. She might have thought he was taking the p*ss with his lack of progress. Maybe he was...?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The car is insured but am I correct in thinking that with no tax the insurance is invalid?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • With all the **** cyclists often get on the roads, I really wish the CPS/courts would use a case like this to make a real example of her in terms of the penalty, to help us non-celebrity cyclists and deter drivers from being very unreasonable *****.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    redvee wrote:
    The car is insured but am I correct in thinking that with no tax the insurance is invalid?

I think it's the lack of MOT thatakes it invalid, as it's not in a roadworthy condition, rather than the tax.

I'm disgusted, but not surprised at the level and direction of the comments across the interweb around this video, can only hope it helps remind a few more people of cyclists rights on the roads.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • The daily mail comments section is interesting, they really hate the media lefty cyclist but its also about the misbehavior of a black woman.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    The bit that got me was when she was complaining that if she ran him over, she'd be the one done for murder.

Alas we know from numerous prior cases that if she had run him over she might have got a fine, and would be back driving in a year, if not straight away.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    The daily mail comments section is interesting, they really hate the media lefty cyclist but its also about the misbehavior of a black woman.
    I couldn't bring myself to look at it but that is funny, they must be falling over themselves in rage.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    The daily mail comments section is interesting, they really hate the media lefty cyclist but its also about the misbehavior of a black woman.
    I couldn't bring myself to look at it but that is funny, they must be falling over themselves in rage.

If they track her down and find out she's an asylum seeker I am pretty sure their comments system will collapse.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • veronese68
    Veronese68 wrote:

If they track her down and find out she's an asylum seeker I am pretty sure their comments system will collapse.
    If they can add that she's an asylum seeker, BBC celeb means they could try to get a link to kiddy fiddling. Just need to get causing cancer in there for a full house.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Isn't he the sensible one for having front/rear cameras. Its exactly for these type of situations that they're useful. If he reported her without the backup evidence, he would get nowhere and she would get off scot free. At least this way there's a chance that (other than public vilification) she may be shown the error of her ways by the Police.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think the DVLA site is open to all and if you have any cars clogging up your roads you can check for their tax and report them if they have none.

Can't help but think the tax disc being taken off was a mistake...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Fenix wrote:
    I think the DVLA site is open to all and if you have any cars clogging up your roads you can check for their tax and report them if they have none.

Any evidence that a visible tax disc made it harder to get away with?

We've recently seen a bit of a blitz round here - loads of cars parked on the street have suddenly acquired DVLA wheelclamps. I strongly suspect that computer-based registration makes it easier rather than harder to catch dodgers.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    bompington wrote:
    We've recently seen a bit of a blitz round here - loads of cars parked on the street have suddenly acquired DVLA wheelclamps. I strongly suspect that computer-based registration makes it easier rather than harder to catch dodgers.
    That's interesting, as I've noticed a similar blitz in my neighbourhood over the last couple of weeks. More yellow wheel clamps in the same place than I think I've ever seen before (I suspect some wheel clamp manufacturing company are going to be posting record profits this year).
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

If they can add that she's an asylum seeker, BBC celeb means they could try to get a link to kiddy fiddling. Just need to get causing cancer in there for a full house.

You missed out being responsible for Diana's death

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    bompington wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

I think its more from the accidental missing of renewing. At least there was a visible reminder in your window that the tax was running out.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    ...unlike, say, a visible letter in the post telling you your tax is running out?
  • Graeme_S wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    That's interesting, as I've noticed a similar blitz in my neighbourhood over the last couple of weeks. More yellow wheel clamps in the same place than I think I've ever seen before (I suspect some wheel clamp manufacturing company are going to be posting record profits this year).

But anyone with half a brain would switch their number plates anyway. It still amazes me our gov't is so soft not to make this sort of criminal catching, or mobile phone use self funding or even profitable for them.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    bompington wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

The visible tax disc made it easier to spot by someone who didn't have instant access to a computer data base, such as traffic wardens or whatever they are called now. I doubt they could do anything about it, but I'm sure they used to take down details like that and pass them on. I'm all for the computer based system, but it's a shame we couldn't have the discs as well.

I've also seen streets blitzed in my area, I'm guessing they drive around with a ANPR team. Does my heart good to see all those yellow boots on cars :mrgreen:

The older I get, the better I was.

• sswiss
    sswiss Posts: 354
    Involved in a Road Rage incident myself today.

Not proud of my reaction, but I'm not having some snotty bell-end step out in front of me, forcing me to brake hard, then to then get in my face and have a foul mouthed rant.

I replied initially without swearing "I was indicating left and you stepped out". He continued to shout abuse in my face and was trying to physically intimidate me, I saw Red, I stepped off my bike and swung it toward him a couple of times to get him to back off.

I put my bike and bag down and was ready. The bloke was a cnut and I told him so, I offered him out, he had really f**ked me off and ruined my day, I was fuming. The shit continued to shout abuse but backed off.

Not proud of myself at all, I'm a middle aged man (perhaps not as old as Vine) who should know better. :oops:

These things can happen.
  • veronese68
    So she's been to court and has denied everything. So she denies being threatening or abusive, depends on your definition but it's quite clear she was. Denied giving reasonable consideration to other road users, you could argue that depending on what you feel is consideration. Considering she seems to be an ill mannered selfish individual that seems to believe she has some entitlement to do whatever the hell she wants I can see why she might try to deny that. But denying driving without a valid licence? There is video evidence and presumably the courts know if she has a valid licence, how on earth can she deny that other than just being a complete phucktard that shouldn't be allowed to interact with human beings.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Veronese68 wrote:
    So she's been to court and has denied everything. So she denies being threatening or abusive, depends on your definition but it's quite clear she was. Denied giving reasonable consideration to other road users, you could argue that depending on what you feel is consideration. Considering she seems to be an ill mannered selfish individual that seems to believe she has some entitlement to do whatever the hell she wants I can see why she might try to deny that. But denying driving without a valid licence? There is video evidence and presumably the courts know if she has a valid licence, how on earth can she deny that other than just being a complete phucktard that shouldn't be allowed to interact with human beings.
    is her surname Trump?
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html