Ride London 2017

Comments

• milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    I'm off in Yellow A at 06:16. Early start, should miss the crowds and crashes.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,270
    IMG_4651_1.png[/url]

Here's the route of the Ride London 100, with the relative elevation plot. Leith Hill is the big sharp spike at about 60 miles. It's the climb I like least of all of them, just because of the way it goes up. Relatively gentle as you turn left onto Etherly Hill road, from the B2126, followed by a sharp left turn onto Leith Hill Road, which suddenly becomes a tarmac wall, as you see Leith Hill place on your left, then another nasty step after the following left hand bend, then it levels out a bit as you reach the top. You've then got hardly any time to recover, before the descent past Abinger Common, and down to the right hand turn, that takes you to Westcott. You need your concentration on that descent, because the road surface isn't great, and there are always people 'stopping to wait for their mate' invariably in the shaded bits, or on the corners. Mind you, in previous years, there has been a little village fete at Westcott, with a barbecue, which is a nice place to check out the bike, before the climb up to Box Hill.

Wow, Stretching the Y axis to the point where you can see the individual meters one can make anything look hilly... :lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • milemuncher1
    IMG_4651_1.png[/url]

Here's the route of the Ride London 100, with the relative elevation plot. Leith Hill is the big sharp spike at about 60 miles. It's the climb I like least of all of them, just because of the way it goes up. Relatively gentle as you turn left onto Etherly Hill road, from the B2126, followed by a sharp left turn onto Leith Hill Road, which suddenly becomes a tarmac wall, as you see Leith Hill place on your left, then another nasty step after the following left hand bend, then it levels out a bit as you reach the top. You've then got hardly any time to recover, before the descent past Abinger Common, and down to the right hand turn, that takes you to Westcott. You need your concentration on that descent, because the road surface isn't great, and there are always people 'stopping to wait for their mate' invariably in the shaded bits, or on the corners. Mind you, in previous years, there has been a little village fete at Westcott, with a barbecue, which is a nice place to check out the bike, before the climb up to Box Hill.

Wow, Stretching the Y axis to the point where you can see the individual meters one can make anything look hilly... :lol:

That's British Cycling's 'Lets Ride' site for you :lol:.
    As I said, you can only really tell how harsh the climbs are relative to each other. To be fair, they do put the actual elevation on the Y axis as well.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Stupid question - how do you receive your start times?
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946

I thought it was through the post, but I then I thought I'd better check my emails to see what happened last year. So I did a search, and there is an email I received last night with my start times in it! :)

• Start Area: Green
    • Wave: F
    • Wave Load opening time: 05:44
    • Wave Load closing time: 06:24
    • Start Time: 07:36

The older I get, the better I was.

• rick_chasey
    Capt Slog wrote:

I thought it was through the post, but I then I thought I'd better check my emails to see what happened last year. So I did a search, and there is an email I received last night with my start times in it! :)

Quite right.

Dug it out of my junk.

Wave A...load opening time 4.44....closing time 5.24.. start time 5.48.....

Bahahaha

Me thinks someone is going to be spat out the back end of that group fairly sharpish.
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Not sure how far back this start time is, but it's still an early start from Kingston. Anyone riding to the start? I did when I last did it, but don't want to have to take lights...

Start Area: Green
    Wave: A
    Wave Load opening time: 05:28
    Wave Load closing time: 06:08
    Start Time: 06:56
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Capt Slog wrote:

Quite right.

Dug it out of my junk.

Bahahaha

Me thinks someone is going to be spat out the back end of that group fairly sharpish.
    That's a brutal start time. Not much the organiser can do with this one, due to the pro race, but wish sometimes these started later in the day then you can sleep properly and fuel correctly before you start.

I'm 7:24 start wave loading at 06:00 although last time I did it the wave loading time seemed a bit flexible
  • capt_slog
    London-Red wrote:
    Not sure how far back this start time is, but it's still an early start from Kingston. Anyone riding to the start? I did when I last did it, but don't want to have to take lights...

Start Area: Green
    Wave: A
    Wave Load opening time: 05:28
    Wave Load closing time: 06:08
    Start Time: 06:56

Sunrise 05:21, you should be fine. Just.

The logistics must be hell, but some of the times defy logic.

My Son...
    Start Area: Orange
    Wave: J
    Wave Load opening time: 06:36
    Wave Load closing time: 07:16
    Start Time: 07:48

me..

So I wait 72 mins to start, son waits just 32 mins.

• j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    Quite right.

Dug it out of my junk.

Bahahaha

I went off at that time last year. The average speed was...fast...

Going off a bit later this year which should be less depressing. Your motivation does get sapped a bit when you spend the first hour and a half being overtaken by people
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • rick_chasey
    What was your time in the end?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Thanks guys, mine was in junk too.

06:08 start time :twisted:
  • Bazzerdad
    Bazzerdad Posts: 1
    Received final instruction magazine and an option after the ride is to drop off bike to return it to the Olympic park and collect later (I am staying nearby) is this a good option or is it easier to cycle back (it's about 7 miles)
  • rick_chasey
    Cycle back...
  • milemuncher1
    Bazzerdad wrote:
    Received final instruction magazine and an option after the ride is to drop off bike to return it to the Olympic park and collect later (I am staying nearby) is this a good option or is it easier to cycle back (it's about 7 miles)

Easier to ride back.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bazzerdad wrote:

Easier to ride back but nice if you want to hang around at the finish area for any reason.

Route from finish to drop off point is a pain and it was not that well organized when I did it.
    Kiddies at pick up point tried to give me wrong bike, but luckily ours were still there.

Think I want to hang around this year so will probably use it.
  • capt_slog
    Carbonator wrote:
    Bazzerdad wrote:

Easier to ride back but nice if you want to hang around at the finish area for any reason.

Route from finish to drop off point is a pain and it was not that well organized when I did it.
    Kiddies at pick up point tried to give me wrong bike, but luckily ours were still there.

:shock:

Ye Gods! No way I'm letting go of mine.

Last year No2 son came to watch with Mrs Slog, I rode with No1 son. No2 son felt a bit left out, obviously, but wasn't up to the ride, nor would he put in the work to train.

On the Mall, we watched the pro race come in, and then I took off my shoes and gave them to No2 Son, saying "Get these on, and give me yours".

He was delighted to ride the bike back across London to the hotel with his brother. I cut quite a dash on the various tubes wearing full lycra and a pair of brogues. :lol:

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,265
    The road surface on the way down off Leith Hill is really quite bad this year - I'd be careful down there. Especially on the bit where you go through that cutting, and at that left hand turn after the fast straight. It's really sketchy, and people will be changing their lines at the last second.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    When I did it a few years ago there wasn't anyone checking whether you were early or late for your wave load, I just joined the back of the queue at my colour area and shuffled towards the start line. Is that still the case?
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    The road surface on the way down off Leith Hill is really quite bad this year - I'd be careful down there. Especially on the bit where you go through that cutting, and at that left hand turn after the fast straight. It's really sketchy, and people will be changing their lines at the last second.

This. I rode it a couple of weeks ago and it felt lethal. Brought back some bad memories from RL last year when some twunt shoulder barged me. Road surface certainly felt more tricky this year.
  • capt_slog
    When I did it a few years ago there wasn't anyone checking whether you were early or late for your wave load, I just joined the back of the queue at my colour area and shuffled towards the start line. Is that still the case?

It was like that last year. I had a start time of something like 8:40 if I recall correctly. I turned up just as my wave was closing but officials didn't seem bothered. There were a few people in the wrong wave colours and certainly in the wrong time slots. It was quite organised but also a bit lax

Having said that though, you only need ONE jobsworth to make an issue of what you're doing if you're in the wrong place and suddenly you could find your day over. And I would say that is more likely to be the case early in the day when they are keen, or late in the day when they've had a bit of cyclist's chelp. :D

• sherer
    Thigh_burn wrote:

This. I rode it a couple of weeks ago and it felt lethal. Brought back some bad memories from RL last year when some twunt shoulder barged me. Road surface certainly felt more tricky this year.

I've already warned my mate about this too. Some very bad potholes in the area and I found it dangerous both times I rode it. best to stick to the left and go slow.. rather that than have an accident
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    RideOnTime wrote:
    :D We are bringing a trailer of bikes down to Ilford for this event just up the line from Stratford. This had been to help some US friends struggling to find a hire bike. Now they're cancelled and we're committed, hotel etc. The mods might want to ban me yet again for posting. However a lot of people may find this service very helpful so please don't cut off your nose etc... :D

http://d2ride.co.uk/Bike-Trials-and-Events-2017.php

New Planet-X and Pinarello Dogma 2 (on 2012 new frame) still available...
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Carbonator wrote:
    Bazzerdad wrote:

You could just use the free cycle parking that they have in Green Park, which is close to where you finish and pickup your finishers goody bag.

I did that the first year when I wanted to hang around to watch the pro race finish. It was manned by military and cadets, so certainly seemed pretty secure.

I'd certainly take that over having my bike put into a truck with no idea what is going to happen to it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,270
    sherer wrote:
    Thigh_burn wrote:

I've already warned my mate about this too. Some very bad potholes in the area and I found it dangerous both times I rode it. best to stick to the left and go slow.. rather that than have an accident

I find it a bit ridiculous that they want to route > 20,000 cyclists on a bunch of lanes they can't even be bothered to maintain properly.
    I would guess the total revenue for this event to be close to 8 figures and they cant find the resources to fix a few holes?
    left the forum March 2023
  • capt_slog
    sherer wrote:
    Thigh_burn wrote:

I find it a bit ridiculous that they want to route > 20,000 cyclists on a bunch of lanes they can't even be bothered to maintain properly.
    I would guess the total revenue for this event to be close to 8 figures and they cant find the resources to fix a few holes?

I'd have thought that they'd at least send a sweeper through before the day.

Potholes though, I know they didn't fix all of those last year. I think a crash in the Limehouse link tunnel was caused by a pothole, you can find a video on Youtube of the aftermath and it looked nasty. I recall going through there later and either hitting a hole or just avoiding it. I think it was in the centre of a lane, and so not likely to get noticed or reported if cars don't hit it that often.

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    sherer wrote:
    Thigh_burn wrote:

Not just the amateurs, but presumably the pro race will go down it too? On the continent a pro race coming through is usually enough to warrant a fresh lick of tarmac, but it doesn't sound as though much of the route has had any of that despite being used since 2012.
  • sherer
    id assume it's down to the vagaries of budgets. The money probably goes through the organising committee, TFL etc, not sure how much would filter down to Surrey council who would need to repair the road.

Think new roads are an ASO stipulation for hosting the event.
  • deswahriff
    deswahriff Posts: 310
    ..anyone planning to use the Greenwich foot tunnel to get across the river to the start?
    I don't see any reference to it in the official blurb but as far as I know, its open 24/7 though you're supposed to wheel your bike through....
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Hi
    Any views on the best time to go to the Excel to avoid the crowds?
    I'm thinking Thurs pm, but grateful to hear the voice of experience...
    Thanks