Ride London 2017

14567810»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Saw the video of me finishing. Guy in front out of what looks like exhastiion just veers into the barriers and falls on his shoulder and face about 5m for the finish.

I missed the crash just the aftermath but poor guy.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    The biggest issue with the photos, from my perspective, is the fact I had a fat wheelsucking idiot, seemingly attatched to my rear wheel in a couple of them. I was aware of them during the ride, and I did try ( and succeed) in shaking them off, but it's still irritating that I didn't get many clear shots. I'm not talking about people in the shot, who just happened to be there ( it's a large group event after all) these were people who I knew were wheel sucking, because I could see their colours, when I looked back. One of the video clips made me chuckle, where I had some cheeky wobbly, with a 46 number on, hopped off of someone's wheel as I was approaching the finish on the Mall, tried to suck my wheel, to avoid the headwind, and I spotted him
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The biggest issue with the photos, from my perspective, is the fact I had a fat wheelsucking idiot, seemingly attatched to my rear wheel in a couple of them. I was aware of them during the ride, and I did try ( and succeed) in shaking them off, but it's still irritating that I didn't get many clear shots. I'm not talking about people in the shot, who just happened to be there ( it's a large group event after all) these were people who I knew were wheel sucking, because I could see their colours, when I looked back. One of the video clips made me chuckle, where I had some cheeky wobbly, with a 46 number on, hopped off of someone's wheel as I was approaching the finish on the Mall, tried to suck my wheel, to avoid the headwind, and I spotted him

So you are so slow that you regularly have fat guys drafting you.......... and then b1tch about them :?

Why was he an idiot?

I would have respect for any fatty that could keep up with me, and if I really had an issue, would probably keep my mouth shut about it :lol:
  • steve91
    steve91 Posts: 30
    Carbonator wrote:
    Did not pay much attention to the 46, but am now thinking it might actually be pretty good if it were not such a hassle event to get to etc.

Have quite enjoyed doing shorter/faster (sprint) versions of duathlons, so maybe this would be the same.

I'm eyeing up the 46 next year, myself. Watched a couple of videos tonight and it looks like a fun route
  • milemuncher1
    Carbonator wrote:
    The biggest issue with the photos, from my perspective, is the fact I had a fat wheelsucking idiot, seemingly attatched to my rear wheel in a couple of them. I was aware of them during the ride, and I did try ( and succeed) in shaking them off, but it's still irritating that I didn't get many clear shots. I'm not talking about people in the shot, who just happened to be there ( it's a large group event after all) these were people who I knew were wheel sucking, because I could see their colours, when I looked back. One of the video clips made me chuckle, where I had some cheeky wobbly, with a 46 number on, hopped off of someone's wheel as I was approaching the finish on the Mall, tried to suck my wheel,

to avoid the headwind, and I spotted him

So you are so slow that you regularly have fat guys drafting you.......... and then b1tch about them :?

Why was he an idiot?

I would have respect for any fatty that could keep up with me, and if I really had an issue, would probably keep my mouth shut about it :lol:

Not sure if troll, or thick?

They weren't keeping up with me, I'm not slow, that's why they weren't keeping up with me. They were popping off of someone else's wheel as I passed, the photographers are usually positioned at pinch points where these tossers are trying to wheel suck. They are idiots, because they appeared to have zero bike handling skills, but still thought it was a good idea to sit an inch from people's rear wheel. No wonder there are pile ups on this shitehouse of an event.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    lol. Enter a sportive with 18,000 people, then moan about someone on your wheel.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    How do you know they have zero bike skills ?

TBH I'd expect people on my wheel - happens at most sportives I've done. I don't mind so long as they share the pace occasionally - isn't that what cycling is about ?
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Fenix wrote:

It was a sportive...
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Fenix wrote:

TBH I'd expect people on my wheel - happens at most sportives I've done. I don't mind so long as they share the pace occasionally - isn't that what cycling is about ?

I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 minutes on the front of a dozen riders - a real "Stannard moment" ... until I'd realised I'd overcooked it and couldn't keep the pace for the remaining 2 miles .. still I suppose that's real Pro - doing my domestic duties then rolling in once the champagne has been popped ... :D
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    sherer wrote:
    BmthBloke wrote:
    My first 100 and was very happy apart from one thing. As I approached the finish my GPS said 99.8 and I wasn't about to save the ride until the 100 came up. Riding very slowly against the tide of cyclists, the GPS made it to 100. Great day out and hope to be there next year.

It depends on how you cut the corners etc. It's 100 miles on the centre line, I ended up doing over 100. One thing they could fix, that was done the first year, was the start line was further down the road, so if people wanted to wait for friends \ family they could start together.

I'd imagine that is the very reason they got rid of the neutralized section for the first couple of miles.
    I did the event during the first year with a 7:46am start time and was shocked how many people were just sat waiting on the verge before the carriageway.

Given it was only a few seconds into the ride at the first turning, it was also a bit dangerous as you had everyone setting off in a big pack, but then people immediately trying to pull off the road to stop.
  • milemuncher1
    Rich_E wrote:

I'd imagine that is the very reason they got rid of the neutralized section for the first couple of miles.
    I did the event during the first year with a 7:46am start time and was shocked how many people were just sat waiting on the verge before the carriageway.

Given it was only a few seconds into the ride at the first turning, it was also a bit dangerous as you had everyone setting off in a big pack, but then people immediately trying to pull off the road to stop.

Exactly.
  • milemuncher1
    okgo wrote:
    lol. Enter a sportive with 18,000 people, then moan about someone on your wheel.

I'm not bothered about the fact there are people around me, I'm bothered by wobblys suddenly darting across to try and draught me, without knowing how to do it. It's a big event, you have to make allowances, but I'd rather not get brought down by a lazy tosser, with no bike skills, if possible.
  • milemuncher1
    Fenix wrote:

I agree, these particular irritating types, were just hopping from rear to rear, without looking. The lack of bike handling skills were apparent as well. I've got no issue with a buddy draught, as long as they don't mind taking a turn on the front.
  • milemuncher1
    okgo wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

It was a sportive...

:lol:
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Awesome skills to sense that the dude on your wheel has darted around without looking. Obviously there ARE numpties there - but from what I saw there was a lot of competent ones too ? You could do what triantelopes do to deter drafting.
    They wee on their bikes.

#gross
  • milemuncher1
    Fenix wrote:
    Awesome skills to sense that the dude on your wheel has darted around without looking. Obviously there ARE numpties there - but from what I saw there was a lot of competent ones too ? You could do what triantelopes do to deter drafting.
    They wee on their bikes.

#gross

Piss bikes, that's a cracking idea :lol:
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Fenix wrote:
    They wee on their bikes.

#gross

wee-wee bikes, that's a cracking idea :lol:

Thats gonna liven up a dull club run on Sunday
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Carbonator wrote:
    The biggest issue with the photos, from my perspective, is the fact I had a fat wheelsucking idiot, seemingly attatched to my rear wheel in a couple of them. I was aware of them during the ride, and I did try ( and succeed) in shaking them off, but it's still irritating that I didn't get many clear shots. I'm not talking about people in the shot, who just happened to be there ( it's a large group event after all) these were people who I knew were wheel sucking, because I could see their colours, when I looked back. One of the video clips made me chuckle, where I had some cheeky wobbly, with a 46 number on, hopped off of someone's wheel as I was approaching the finish on the Mall, tried to suck my wheel,

to avoid the headwind, and I spotted him

Why was he an idiot?

Not sure if troll, or thick?

They weren't keeping up with me, I'm not slow, that's why they weren't keeping up with me. They were popping off of someone else's wheel as I passed, the photographers are usually positioned at pinch points where these tossers are trying to wheel suck. They are idiots, because they appeared to have zero bike handling skills, but still thought it was a good idea to sit an inch from people's rear wheel. No wonder there are pile ups on this shitehouse of an event.

Must be thick then as am confused about how exactly they are staying on your wheel for long enough to matter, why they are in front of you in the first place, and why you care about the photo on (or even entered) a shitehouse of an event.

Guess I must ride too slow to have experienced this fatty draughting/photo bombing phenomenon.

What time does it say on you certificate out of interest?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Carbonator wrote:

Suggestions on a postcard please.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Pinno wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Suggestions on a postcard please.

Dont have any postcards so this will have to do...viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13083541