Ride London Chipper stopped mid race???... Now with spoilers

13»

Comments

• jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    gsk82 wrote:
    sadly one of the affected sportive riders has died of a heart attack.

it was only a matter of time before the pro race was affected by the sportive. in previous years they've had to pull sportive riders off the road so the pro race can pass. as someone said above it's pure greed. if you can't have them on different days change the route so you can. there's no need for them to ride in to central London for a sportive.

The unfortunate issue you have is that not so much greed, but the race could NOT be financially supported without the sportive too.

One thing that's frustrating me with the coverage of the injuries and subsequent death at RideLondon yesterday is the media referring to it as a 'race'. It is NOT a race.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • professeur
    professeur Posts: 232
    JSCL wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    sadly one of the affected sportive riders has died of a heart attack.

it was only a matter of time before the pro race was affected by the sportive. in previous years they've had to pull sportive riders off the road so the pro race can pass. as someone said above it's pure greed. if you can't have them on different days change the route so you can. there's no need for them to ride in to central London for a sportive.

The unfortunate issue you have is that not so much greed, but the race could NOT be financially supported without the sportive too.

One thing that's frustrating me with the coverage of the injuries and subsequent death at RideLondon yesterday is the media referring to it as a 'race'. It is NOT a race.

The concept is good - just needs a bit of refinement.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I don't mind the fact the sportive impacted (slightly) on the pro race. There is far too much emphasis on the elite as it is and too little on the masses and the benefits of taking part in sport.

I don't mind it being referred to as a race either - if road racing ever does become the preserve of the Elite licence holders then the likes of me are going to have to find our competitive fix elsewhere and sportives offer a bit of a half way house. OK so they aren't road races but then neither are they audaxes - if you publish a finishing time there is a competitive element there.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    dish_dash wrote:
    Good for Tommeke

Astonished that Radio 4 news at 0530 this morning was STILL calling him Dutch though...

It got better

On 6 Music at 5am (taking my daughter to the airport) it was won by 'Dutch rider Tim Bowman'
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • The race was a good 'un, but the organisation and the tv production was shambolic
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,562
    I thought Mick Bennett walked on water?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    dish_dash wrote:
    I thought Mick Bennett walked on water?

I assume it was the man himself who told you that?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago