Is Di2 worth it?

13»

Comments

• robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    robbo2011 wrote:
    I'm always surprised by the number of people that won't consider Di2 or criticise it but will switch to eTap. I'd love to understand what's going on in their heads.

Ah well, in my case, my frame is not Di2 compatible so Etap would be much easier. It't purely logistical.

What element of the frame? I've fitted to two frames that were not designed for Di2. Even bikes without internal frame routing can run it externally as I have on the Volagi.

Yes, i know it is possible to install it on my frame. but like i said, Etap is much easier to install. There is also the added bonus of no fugly external wires, battery and junction box.

In any case, there is nothing wrong with my red mechanical group so the discussion is moot.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Fair enough. Though I don't see why external wires are more ugly than external gear cables. They're travelling the same places taking the same route.

As for eTap - people complain about the difficulty of diagnosing faults with Di2. If that's your concern (it isn't mine) good luck with diagnosing wireless faults. Installing Di2 is a piece of the proverbial - I've done the installation on all 3 of my bikes. It's much easier than installing a mechanical group: the cables don't care what route they take or what length they are.

I suspect that the reason eTap is more popular is a degree of vanity (no wires - offset by bulkier mechs) and also because it gives people who have thrown rocks at Di2 a route to go electronic without needing to eat too much humble pie. After all, with the bulk of the pro peleton going electronic (and using satellite shifters - try that on your mech group), you risk looking quaintly old fashioned using mechanical as each year goes by. :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • robbo2011
    After all, with the bulk of the pro peloton going electronic (and using satellite shifters - try that on your mech group), you risk looking quaintly old fashioned using mechanical as each year goes by. :wink:

Who cares?

Cycling is more about getting out and riding than about what equipment you have. Although in your case, it appears to be the other way around.

Edit: I am just about to leave the house to drive over to Scuol for a 4 day trip in Switzerland, Austria and Italy, riding the Ofenpass, Stelvio pass, Umbrail pass, Gavia pass, Forca Livigno, Albula pass and Fluela pass amongst others. Where will you be riding this weekend? ;)
  • meanredspider
    robbo2011 wrote:
    After all, with the bulk of the pro peloton going electronic (and using satellite shifters - try that on your mech group), you risk looking quaintly old fashioned using mechanical as each year goes by. :wink:

Who cares?

Cycling is more about getting out and riding than about what equipment you have. Although in your case, it appears to be the other way around.

That genuinely made me laugh out loud. By far the majority of the cycling I've done in the last 10 years has been commuting (rural commuting mostly). Pretty much all of my equipment choices have been for comfort, reliability and safety in order to allow me to ride safely and effectively to work and back all year around in the rural Highlands of Scotland mostly. The next greatest amount of cycling I've done has been related to raising money for teenage cancer charities. The point is that it's ALL about the ride - and that makes safety and reliability important. I don't give a stuff about aesthetics or what anyone thinks - in stark contrast to a lot of what's written on this forum.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • robbo2011
    Well you come across as one of the biggest willy wavers on the forum. Time to change your posting style?
  • meanredspider
    robbo2011 wrote:
    Well you come across as one of the biggest willy wavers on the forum. Time to change your posting style?

I only post for two broad reasons these days:
    1. To help someone
    2. To respond to borlicks that's posted - usually about Di2 or disc brakes.

I'd imagine it's the second of these that makes you think that way. If it is, I just happen to believe that they are both positive steps forward in cycling technology and that belief is informed through 5-6 years of intensive experience.

I really don't care (genuinely don't give a stuff) about what other people do or what kit they choose. And there are plenty of infinitely more talented and able cyclists than me (and plenty more who spend a lot more than me on their bikes) - so, if I was "willy waving", I'm bringing a knife to a gunfight (to mix my metaphors). But I will bring my knowledge, experience and opinion into a discussion about Di2 or disc brakes.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    robbo2011 wrote:

I only post for two broad reasons these days:
    1. To help someone
    2. To respond to borlicks that's posted - usually about Di2 or disc brakes.

I'd imagine it's the second of these that makes you think that way. If it is, I just happen to believe that they are both positive steps forward in cycling technology and that belief is informed through 5-6 years of intensive experience.

If they were genuine positive steps forward, then electronic is all we would get, shimano etc would nt pour millions into mechanical shifting on their top end groupsets, there cant be that many Luddites????

in other forms of consumer goods, we get greater and greater computerisation whether we like it of not, tried buying a car with points? of an analogue mobile? no because their successors are cheaper, more reliable and far better, not so with Di2.

On disc's, on your commuter bike, yep why not, saves on rims if nothing else

But we dont need either to get fantastic enjoyment from cycling, just a quiet road and a good cafe stop :)
  • meanredspider
    mamba80 wrote:

If they were genuine positive steps forward, then electronic is all we would get, shimano etc would nt pour millions into mechanical shifting on their top end groupsets, there cant be that many Luddites????

in other forms of consumer goods, we get greater and greater computerisation whether we like it of not, tried buying a car with points? of an analogue mobile? no because their successors are cheaper, more reliable and far better, not so with Di2.

On disc's, on your commuter bike, yep why not, saves on rims if nothing else

But we dont need either to get fantastic enjoyment from cycling, just a quiet road and a good cafe stop :)

It takes time for tech to trickle down and scale to reduce costs. No-one would argue that EFI isn't better than carbs on a car - it took a long time for that change to become ubiquitous. In the meantime, I'm sure Shimano continues to invest in the high-end mech because the margins must be huge and they effectively become the lower-level groups in years to come.

You're right - you don't need anything more than a £500 aluminium bike with Tiagra & alloy wheels to enjoy a quiet road and a good cafe stop.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    I find the level of resistance towards electronic shifting on this forum quite bizarre to be honest. There's a group of people who seem never to have used it but are against it on principle.

There's still a place for mechanical gearing but electronic has superseded it. Pretty simple really. Is it worth it? That will depend on your circumstances won't it?
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • isotonik
    isotonik Posts: 50
    TurboTommy wrote:
    I find the level of resistance towards electronic shifting on this forum quite bizarre to be honest. There's a group of people who seem never to have used it but are against it on principle.

There's still a place for mechanical gearing but electronic has superseded it. Pretty simple really. Is it worth it? That will depend on your circumstances won't it?

The vast majority of bikes on the road are mech and it will stay that way. :D

For anyone getting into electronics I would advise against Di2.

For the very best experience then campag EPS is true excellence.