TDF 2016 Stage 20 *SPOILERS*

12345679»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,160
    Surprising fact I learned this morning: today will be the first time Sky have finished a Grand Tour with all nine riders.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    RichN95 wrote:
    Surprising fact I learned this morning: today will be the first time Sky have finished a Grand Tour with all nine riders.

Thus disproving the theory that reducing team sizes by one will have any real impact. How many times this tour did Froome only have one teammate left with him?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • v2p
    v2p Posts: 36
    gsk82 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Thus disproving the theory that reducing team sizes by one will have any real impact. How many times this tour did Froome only have one teammate left with him?

Not quite sure I understand what you're saying, could you expand?

I'm not saying it definitely would, but reducing team sizes could have an impact.

A lot of the time Froome was left with only Poels some way up the final climb and the rest of the GC contenders on their wheel. Then that's where we saw the attacks from Froome and from others. If Sky has one less rider, maybe they don't even get to that point. Maybe other riders do longer range attacks.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,396
    Phone was dying so I didn't comment yesterday

Nice finish to see one of the Domestiques take the stage, I was hoping Allaphillipe would hold off Pantano but no such luck for him this year

I think you had the perfect illustration of why the tour has been so dull this year when they were descending Joux Plan. Gee was going comically slow, I honestly assumed a few of them were slo-mo clips but they weren't and still everyone just rode behind Froome politely. No one tried anything. Ok it was sopping wet but the faces looked more like people who wouldn't dare attack Froome rather than people concerned about the road...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Moraygub
    Moraygub Posts: 9
    adr82 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Kelderman's crash - "Sh1t... Medics": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGKm9uzLiqY
    That sounded painful! Long slide then the massive *crunch* as he hits the barriers :shock:

That looked really nasty. Heras corner isn't it?
    He was in tears in the team car, right after he finished.
    Clearly in pain and off for a scan.

Still, there was one crash on the Joux Plane yesterday looked much better.

https://streamable.com/cmre

Didnt think the guy who was running was being that much of a hinderance to merit that.
    If they guy got up and thumped him it would have been justified imo.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    ddraver wrote:

Nice finish to see one of the Domestiques take the stage, I was hoping Allaphillipe would hold off Pantano but no such luck for him this year

I think you had the perfect illustration of why the tour has been so dull this year when they were descending Joux Plan. Gee was going comically slow, I honestly assumed a few of them were slo-mo clips but they weren't and still everyone just rode behind Froome politely. No one tried anything. Ok it was sopping wet but the faces looked more like people who wouldn't dare attack Froome rather than people concerned about the road...
    Why would they have been attacking Froome at that point?? He was still over 4 mins up and they were never going to get that time back on that descent unless he crashed really badly. The GC group were barely 4 mins behind Izagirre at the finish, so based on the gap at the top they lost maybe 90 seconds to him on the descent for all their caution. There was certainly scope for some reshuffling of the other positions if anyone had been inclined to attack over the top and race the descent, but Sky knew they just had to get Froome down in one piece, even if it was slow. The others had clearly decided not to risk their own top 10 positions and settled for following.
  • adr82
    Moraygub wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Kelderman's crash - "Sh1t... Medics": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGKm9uzLiqY
    That sounded painful! Long slide then the massive *crunch* as he hits the barriers :shock:

That looked really nasty. Heras corner isn't it?
    He was in tears in the team car, right after he finished.
    Clearly in pain and off for a scan.

Still, there was one crash on the Joux Plane yesterday looked much better.

https://streamable.com/cmre

Didnt think the guy who was running was being that much of a hinderance to merit that.
    If they guy got up and thumped him it would have been justified imo.
    Rubbish. For all you know, that idiot could have tripped over his own feet and gone down in front of the riders 2 seconds later. There is zero reason for fans to be running right next to or in front of the riders, and if more people were willing to deal with it like that then it would stop pretty quickly.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,396
    adr82 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Why would they have been attacking Froome at that point?? He was still over 4 mins up and they were never going to get that time back on that descent unless he crashed really badly. The GC group were barely 4 mins behind Izagirre at the finish, so based on the gap at the top they lost maybe 90 seconds to him on the descent for all their caution. There was certainly scope for some reshuffling of the other positions if anyone had been inclined to attack over the top and race the descent, but Sky knew they just had to get Froome down in one piece, even if it was slow. The others had clearly decided not to risk their own top 10 positions and settled for following.

I think we re violently agreeing...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • adr82
    ddraver wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I think we re violently agreeing...
    Possibly :)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,681
    CORVOS_00026855-047.jpg

CORVOS_00026855-053.jpg

D5A_5224.jpg

81A_4776.jpg

CORVOS_00026855-035.jpg
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,101
    Ooh, that black and white one is fantastic!
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    13770380_10154528815329873_2478975587463818905_n.jpg?oh=3fa98267798cb57fea7b928239a6450e&oe=582010D0
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • adr82
    16arutour20-1320x878.jpg
  • RichN95.
    JSCL wrote:
    13770380_10154528815329873_2478975587463818905_n.jpg?oh=3fa98267798cb57fea7b928239a6450e&oe=582010D0
    Isn't this one of the Transformers?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,339
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Ooh, that black and white one is fantastic!

Gruber, innit. As is the cloudy mountain shot. Just scrolled through them and went "Nice pic, nice pic, GRUBER!, GRUBER!, nice pic"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    CoE4n2EWYAAPEcz.jpg
  • gsk82
    v2p wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Not quite sure I understand what you're saying, could you expand?

I'm not saying it definitely would, but reducing team sizes could have an impact.

A lot of the time Froome was left with only Poels some way up the final climb and the rest of the GC contenders on their wheel. Then that's where we saw the attacks from Froome and from others. If Sky has one less rider, maybe they don't even get to that point. Maybe other riders do longer range attacks.

People have been complaining about the sky train for years, even though they generally only have 7 or 8 riders.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    How has Froome lost over a minute to Bardet in the GC today?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Farting around with the synchronized bicycle dancing over the line.

They've revised it now - it's back to how it was.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

This' how:

CoJh78ZXYAEdGvs.jpg:large

Although probably not as they are now saying that times from yesterday will carry over to today.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • gsk82

This' how:

CoJh78ZXYAEdGvs.jpg:large

Although probably not as they are now saying that times from yesterday will carry over to today.

Rodriguez was down a few places to tenth on the provisional results.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    They've rectified them now.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,688
    Why have times been carried over? That's a nonsense, it's an official stage and never heard of that done before.
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    Why have times been carried over? That's a nonsense, it's an official stage and never heard of that done before.
    I think there was a crash at about 2.5k which caused some splits. I'm not sure why Sky should get their time back though. Not that it matters.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    So did Greipel win the sprint today? I've seen nothing on sky news or BBC news? All I've seen (apart from pictures of froome and team sky) is a picture of a grinning Greipel on kstushas instagram account congratulating kristoff on a podium finish! Piss poor coverage of the actual sprint!!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    The sprint coverage was pretty good? See the stage 21 thread..
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,101
    RichN95 wrote:
    NorvernRob wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    I'm sitting with a feeling that I haven't watched a mountain stage in this race. Genuinely.

Yep, it's made worse by the fact that any stage that had anything resembling a mountain in it was won by the breakaway. We never saw the GC favourites battling for a stage win uphill.
    That's part of the Sky strategy. Let the break go - take the stage win off the table for the GC riders and it gives them less reason to gamble on an attack.
    Is this a new approach, were other teams contributing to the chase in his other two wins or is there some other factor at play? It has certainly opened up the mountains classification to non-GC riders this year. Froome was the best placed of the GC riders in a lowly 18th whereas he was first and second in his previous wins with Quintana winning in 2013 and runner up last year.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet