Is there anyone riding the Vuelta??

Comments

• Valverde going for an unprecedented three top 10s in Grand Tours in a season
  • bugsrabbit
    bugsrabbit Posts: 182
    Hugh carthy, his first grand tour. Good luck to him
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Could somebody point me in the direction of a grand tour that Quintana rode well?

Erm, the one he won?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Could somebody point me in the direction of a grand tour that Quintana rode well?

Erm, the one he won?

Also depends whether you think 3 podiums in the Tour and a 4th in the Vuelta counts as riding well... Most riders would probably kill to have that on their palmares.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    bugsrabbit wrote:
    Hugh carthy, his first grand tour. Good luck to him
    I reckon he could get a stage. His last race before retiring (aka joining Cannondale).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Erm, the one he won?
    It wasn't an impressive performance though - need a confusing stage to beat Uran. His 2013 Tour was better
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Erm, the one he won?

Also depends whether you think 3 podiums in the Tour and a 4th in the Vuelta counts as riding well... Most riders would probably kill to have that on their palmares.

I don't. Even his Giro win was a bit soft, he won the ITT and one other stage against riders on the ebb or just on the rise.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    JSCL wrote:
    The main issue for Purito is Puerto.

He's retiring at the right time, that's for sure.

One of my very favourite riders, but his past isn't far from catching up with him I fear.

Always thought Purito was clean. Valverde the unrepentant chap of their generation?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Erm, the one he won?
    It wasn't an impressive performance though - need a confusing stage to beat Uran. His 2013 Tour was better

I know it might sound like a big cliche but by definition winning a GT means you must have ridden well IMO
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Erm, the one he won?

I know it might sound like a big cliche but by definition winning a GT means you must have ridden well IMO

Well it certainly means you've ridden better than ~200 other riders over the same three weeks... ^^
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Valverde going for an unprecedented three top 10s in Grand Tours in a season
    Doesn't 'unprecedented' suggest it's not happened before? ;)
  • RichN95.
    It's unprecedented since the Vuelta moved to September, but Gaston Nencini and Raphael Geminiani both did it the 50s (Nencini even won the Giro)
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    philbar72 wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    The main issue for Purito is Puerto.

He's retiring at the right time, that's for sure.

One of my very favourite riders, but his past isn't far from catching up with him I fear.

Always thought Purito was clean. Valverde the unrepentant chap of their generation?

Those two were two peas in a pod at Caisse d'Epargne and Jrod was Valverde's no.2 man. JRod would set up Valverde for his wins until JRod fancied his own chances. These two were just like Bartoli and Bettini before.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    JSCL wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Erm, the one he won?

Well it certainly means you've ridden better than ~200 other riders over the same three weeks... ^^

I was thinking the same. :D Ta
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • inseine wrote:
    Doesn't 'unprecedented' suggest it's not happened before? ;)

I was tired and emotional (read : hungover) and I think the Olympics commentary seeped in
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Laura Meseguer ‏@Laura_Meseguer · 2m2 minutes ago

Chris Froome will be the leader of Team Sky in La Vuelta + Mikel Landa, Boswell, Golas, Kennaugh, Knees, Kwiatkowski, Puccio and Konig
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jscl

Chris Froome will be the leader of Team Sky in La Vuelta + Mikel Landa, Boswell, Golas, Kennaugh, Knees, Kwiatkowski, Puccio and Konig

I think that's a real shame.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • JSCL wrote:

Why is that a shame?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    JSCL wrote:

Why is that a shame?

no Nicolas Roche ? caught pneumonia in Rio apparently, was targetting this race but moves to BMC next year,so will he ride for Sky again...Tour of Britain maybe ?
  • Kruijswijk (yes, I googled the spelling) twice as long odds as Chavez, despite looking way stronger in the Giro until that crash. Think I'll have a few quid on him each way. AC a waning force, Froome jaded, Quintana flattering to deceive? Maybe a bit optimistic but you never know.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Go Lopez!!!!!!
  • bobmcstuff
    I took an e/w on Krash-bike.

Hard to see past Contador for the GC, no?

Think Sky should have let someone else have a go, really.
  • jscl
    bobmcstuff wrote:

My thoughts above really.

I just fear that Froomey's form isn't there right now after Le Tour and Rio and it's just going to be a disappointment.

But I hope I'm wrong.
  • jscl
    Mikel Landa has withdrawn.
  • RichN95.
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    The question is who?

Henao - injured, Poels - injured, Landa - injured, Konig - coming back from injury, Nieve - done two GTs, Thomas - knackered.

(I realise that even with options Froome would be leader)
  • bobmcstuff
    RichN95 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    The question is who?

Henao - injured, Poels - injured, Landa - injured, Konig - coming back from injury, Nieve - done two GTs, Thomas - knackered.

(I realise that even with options Froome would be leader)
    Yeah, fair - Landa would have been my pick I guess.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Who has replaced Landa?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    phreak wrote:
    Who has replaced Landa?

David Lopez
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    inseine wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    Who has replaced Landa?

David Lopez

Thanks. You suspect much will depend on how well the likes of Kennaugh and Konig go after such a light schedule recently. Konig at least looked ok in the Olympics so hopefully he'll be back to something like his old self.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    CqLZvS6XgAAGTZu.jpg