Is there anyone riding the Vuelta??

Comments

• Froome is either riding the Vuelta as sole leader or he will not be on that start line.

I know this is destined to get the Frooministas posting furiously but a little anecdote. A close mate was at Paris-Nice for the race this year, and got chatting as usual to several of the Sky crew, including someone high up on the management side. The subject of li'l Pete came up, and whether his future lies in GC and stage racing, or one dayers. Mate says its a pity PK didn't get that win in OZ in Feb at the Herald Sun Tour when Froome took the jersey and the overall on the final day. Sky bod: 'What you have to understand is that Froome is VERY ambitious'

Now before anyone shouts, no, you don't get to be a GT winner without being ambitious. Furthermore my own view is that you also have to have some level of bastard in you. But also understand that Froome is not particularly given to riding for others, and if he wants the win that really is it.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Froome is either riding the Vuelta as sole leader or he will not be on that start line.

I know this is destined to get the Frooministas posting furiously but a little anecdote. A close mate was at Paris-Nice for the race this year, and got chatting as usual to several of the Sky crew, including someone high up on the management side. The subject of li'l Pete came up, and whether his future lies in GC and stage racing, or one dayers. Mate says its a pity PK didn't get that win in OZ in Feb at the Herald Sun Tour when Froome took the jersey and the overall on the final day. Sky bod: 'What you have to understand is that Froome is VERY ambitious'

Now before anyone shouts, no, you don't get to be a GT winner without being ambitious. Furthermore my own view is that you also have to have some level of bastard in you. But also understand that Froome is not particularly given to riding for others, and if he wants the win that really is it.

That's very clear, he's probably the most driven rider in the peloton (Piti up there too). But Landa will get a free role and if he is up there he will get the freedom to attack. Unlike in the Tour where it is all about Froome. IMO.

(Nibs was also very driven in the Vuelta last year too but he got DSQ).
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Froome is either riding the Vuelta as sole leader or he will not be on that start line.

That's very clear, he's probably the most driven rider in the peloton (Piti up there too). But Landa will get a free role and if he is up there he will get the freedom to attack. Unlike in the Tour where it is all about Froome. IMO.

And a Sky rider will win Omloop when pigs fly :wink:

(top marks for the Nibz line)
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:

And a Sky rider will win Omloop when pigs fly :wink:

(top marks for the Nibz line)

Praise indeed. I can go to bed a happy boy. :P
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I guess they'll start equal status until something like this happens. Froome will be knackered. :p
    https://youtu.be/LwUBPPzNRqY
    https://youtu.be/gA3Po4fFyRs
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Current bookies odds for the Vuelta:

6/4 Quintana
    5/2 Froome
    11/4 Contador
    5/1 Chaves
    9/1 Rodriguez
    22/1 Kruijswijk
    33/1 D.Martin, Lopez, Uran
    40/1 Kreuziger
    50/1 Amador, Van Garderen
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    It will be interesting to see who's legs fall off due to the over exertions of the Tour. Not sure Landa will be a bit tired from helping Froome but not sure he was on top form there as Heneo and Paul's were the main backbone. Think Quintana will be pooped too as he turned himself inside out to get third place. AC is getting near the end of his career so might be a funny old race.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    jerry3571 wrote:
    It will be interesting to see who's legs fall off due to the over exertions of the Tour. Not sure Landa will be a bit tired from helping Froome but not sure he was on top form there as Heneo and Paul's were the main backbone. Think Quintana will be pooped too as he turned himself inside out to get third place. AC is getting near the end of his career so might be a funny old race.

Really looking foward to the Olympics and the Vuelta. I'd really like to see J Rod go out with a bang. We've seen in the past that Froome doesn't turn up at 100%, but this time he seemed to approach the tour differently, not peaking quite so early. Also, the Olympics is a factor. So, it will indeed be very interesting. Contador, Kruiswijck, fresher than the rest. Quintana, perhaps will have better form (assuming that he messed up and just had less than perfect prep for the TdF) and wil be out to silence the "Quintana can't roll" crowd.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    I wonder just how fresh Froome needs to be. There are 7-8 really strong climbing domestiques available to Sky that didn't ride the Tour, so you'd imagine he will have very strong support from whatever team Sky put out. He will surely gain time on his rivals in the time trial, and if Sky limit their losses in the team time trial and then use their team to hang on in the climbs he could win without having to be in top form.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Given the daft nature of this La Vuelta parcour, I'm not sure anyone needs too many climbing domestiques.
    Only a small handful of finishes look as if a train would be desirable, while there are half a dozen or more stages with a punchy ramp stuck on the end.
    Not hard to see how Froome fancies this edition, tbh. Suits his short bursts of max effort to a tee.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Is there any stage that exemplifies the Vuelta more than this:

Stage-1452350478.jpg
  • RichN95.
    The Vuelta mountain stage profiles in full

s-l300.jpg
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Hat
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • joelsim
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Hat

Helmet.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Now it's really Spanish...

Stage-1452350478_zpsk2qjhjkq.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Cowboy Hat!

If Froome can maintain form and not crash he is unbeatable. I like 11/4 odds (where? I can only find 9/4) on Contador though, since he will be a lot fresher than the other main contenders.

Has Kruijswijk made it into main GT contender group (Froome, Quintana, Contador, Nibali, Porte, Aru??) or is he in the secondary group (of Bardet, Pinot, Chavez, Lady Garden)? Where do Uran and Tom Dumoulin slot in?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Cowboy Hat!

If Froome can maintain form and not crash he is unbeatable. I like 11/4 odds (where? I can only find 9/4) on Contador though, since he will be a lot fresher than the other main contenders.

Has Kruijswijk made it into main GT contender group (Froome, Quintana, Contador, Nibali, Porte, Aru??) or is he in the secondary group (of Bardet, Pinot, Chavez, Lady Garden)? Where do Uran and Tom Dumoulin slot in?
    The odds were from Paddy Power
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    What about the third tier, bearing in mind that Cobo and Horner actually happened anybody have any tips for outside bets?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,533
    Is Cavendish doing the tour of Britain again instead?
  • trek_dan wrote:
    What about the third tier, bearing in mind that Cobo and Horner actually happened anybody have any tips for outside bets?

Also needs to be a rider in Last Chance Saloon. Out of contract end of the season.
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    Is Cavendish doing the tour of Britain again instead?

Pretty sure he will be. He's not overly-fond of the Vuelta
  • Now it's really Spanish...

Stage-1452350478_zpsk2qjhjkq.jpg

Oh good god. That couldn't be any thing other than the Vuelta
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Nibali will head to Rio with good form after finishing the Tour de France but revealed to Gazzetta dello Sport that he is still angry and looking to make a point after being criticised for his performances at the Tour de France.

“I’m not a robot. Everybody always expects a lot from me, I get that but I never said I was going for the classification. That’s why I think I was far to heavily criticised when I was dropped on the first mountain stage in the Massif Central,” Nibali said hitting back.

“I want to point that I had a great first part of the season. I won in Oman in February, I rode strongly in March at Tirreno-Adriatico and I won the Giro d’Italia. I’ve always been very focused and I only had one day off in the winter so that I’d be on form for 2016.

“As I said, I’m only human, I’m not a robot. I always try my best and I tried hard to win a stage but you’ve got to know how to listen to your body and measure your effort, especially considering the goals ahead. When my legs told me I wouldn’t be a GC contender, I worked for the good of the team, which is the right thing to do. The guys at Astana have given their all for me on many occasions, so it was good to give something back.”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nibali- ... -olympics/
  • m.r.m.
    RichN95 wrote:
    Thanks, Rich! He is only 9/4 now. Hope you jumped in on the 11/4 wagon. I'm not that keen at 9/4 for Contador.
  • RichN95.
    M.R.M. wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Thanks, Rich! He is only 9/4 now. Hope you jumped in on the 11/4 wagon. I'm not that keen at 9/4 for Contador.
    I think longer odds riders each way offer the best value in the Vuelta. It lends itself to surprises.
  • m.r.m.
    edited July 2016
    Is that still the case? 2014 was Contador vs. Froome. 2015 Aru vs. Dumoulin was more surprising, but only because the actual favourites crashed out or didn't take part.

I expect a big name rider to win this year. So clearly Betancur at 300/1 :lol:

paddypower doesn't even have Landa listed. Only Nieve and Froome from Sky.
  • RichN95.
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Is that still the case? 2014 was Contador vs. Froome. 2015 Aru vs. Dumoulin was more surprising, but only because the actual favourites crashed out or didn't take part.

I expect a big name rider to win this year.
    Only an each way bet - not to win. In recent years the podium has had Majka, Horner, Mosquera, Velits, Cobo, Froome (2011). The Olympics opens it up wider than usual too I feel.
  • m.r.m.
    Very good point. You're probably right!
  • RichN95.
    It seems that it's unlikely that Quintana will be riding. Valverde's a possibility though (according to PCS)
  • FocusZing wrote:
    Nibali will head to Rio with good form after finishing the Tour de France but revealed to Gazzetta dello Sport that he is still angry and looking to make a point after being criticised for his performances at the Tour de France.

“I’m not a robot. Everybody always expects a lot from me, I get that but I never said I was going for the classification. That’s why I think I was far to heavily criticised when I was dropped on the first mountain stage in the Massif Central,” Nibali said hitting back.

“I want to point that I had a great first part of the season. I won in Oman in February, I rode strongly in March at Tirreno-Adriatico and I won the Giro d’Italia. I’ve always been very focused and I only had one day off in the winter so that I’d be on form for 2016.

“As I said, I’m only human, I’m not a robot. I always try my best and I tried hard to win a stage but you’ve got to know how to listen to your body and measure your effort, especially considering the goals ahead. When my legs told me I wouldn’t be a GC contender, I worked for the good of the team, which is the right thing to do. The guys at Astana have given their all for me on many occasions, so it was good to give something back.”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nibali- ... -olympics/

Nibz seems to spend an awful lot of emotional energy fretting about what the media write about him