Is there anyone riding the Vuelta??

jerry3571
jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
edited August 2016 in Pro race
Just been thinking, most big riders are at the Tour Nibs, Aru, Valverde, AC is changing teams so not bothered, Martin, sky boys are busy now, French riders will be tired.
I can only think of Chaves and maybe Pinot as he's not riding GC in France. Tom Dumoulin is targetting stages now but has rode the Giro in the same way so he might be too tired to do three grand tours.
Any ideas? Loking like a grand tour for the taking. :)
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
-Jacques Anquetil

Comments

• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I'm guessing Quintana will definitely be there.
  • jerry3571
    Milton50 wrote:
    I'm guessing Quintana will definitely be there.

Think he's trying to ride full gas at the Tour so he'll be tired at the Vuelta.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    I expect Contador to ride it. I also think Froome will. I reckoned Valverde may fancy trying to come top ten in all three GTs.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    RichN95 wrote:
    I expect Contador to ride it. I also think Froome will. I reckoned Valverde may fancy trying to come top ten in all three GTs.
    My understanding is that Contador was already confirmed as riding?
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204
    You'd have thought Steve K would be riding too.
  • Steven KCruisewick is riding - Gesink (??)
    How will J ROd recover _ he's strong now
    Chaves and S Yates look a strong pairing
    Jungles
    Pinot (? doubt it) but Geniez is good - one Vuelta too many for JC Peraud . I can see Vuillermoz riding and doing well if motivated .
    Atapuma
    Talansky

Lot's of chances for the motivated rider - I think it will be a good edition
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,571
    I would love for Purito to finally get his GT... seems to be getting back into form. Wishful thinking I know... but we can all dream.

I reckon we'll have a full cast at the Vuelta...

Was also thinking about Dan Martin for Lombardy...
  • jerry3571
    As for AC, on itv 4, Mr Tinkoff had a major bitch about his GC rider and said he wished he backed Sagan last year and not bothered about the overall. Think Tinkoff likes green and polka dots these days. Him and AC might be finished now.
    Kruijswijk might be rested by now as mentioned above. Always think of him as Rasmussens apprentice. :twisted:

-Jacques Anquetil
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    jerry3571 wrote:
    As for AC, on itv 4, Mr Tinkoff had a major ***** about his GC rider and said he wished he backed Sagan last year and not bothered about the overall. Think Tinkoff likes green and polka dots these days. Him and AC might be finished now.
    Kruijswijk might be rested by now as mentioned above. Always think of him as Rasmussens apprentice. :twisted:
    Nothing Tinkoff says should be taken seriously.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    All of the big Tour hopes next year will ride it because Sky see it as a good prep for the following season.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Looking forward to seeing Chaves ride it as he looked super strong on the uphill finishes at the Giro (assuming there are lots of uphill finishes at the Vuelta like usual).
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Uran?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,053
    I keep checking my inbox but no invite yet
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    RichN95 wrote:
    jerry3571 wrote:
    As for AC, on itv 4, Mr Tinkoff had a major ***** about his GC rider and said he wished he backed Sagan last year and not bothered about the overall. Think Tinkoff likes green and polka dots these days. Him and AC might be finished now.
    Nothing Tinkoff says should be taken seriously.
    He does seem a wrong 'un. But even so I found the comments about dinner quite interesting, how he said Sagan brought laughter and AC brought tension. Sure I read similar stuff about Sky with Froome as compared to Wiggins. Would he/could he actually stop AC from riding just to be bloody minded. He seemed to say that the publicity was worthless to him as he had only Russian businesses and cycling wasn't popular there. But then again can any of it be believed.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Wasn't the Froome/Wiggins thing more that they just didn't get on?
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I think that was true. But Brad is supposedly a little moody and brought a tension that made others nervous, and created an atmosphere of uncertainty.
  • jerry3571
    AC riding Vuelta?? His Team left him high and dry at the Tour and Tinkoff has fallen out of love with him so is he using Trek as his domestiques?? Going to be another weird one, like AC and LA at the Tour de France.
    Astana-001.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=6e23ed692e946e33318941388620f1f6

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/rac ... ell-263207

-Jacques Anquetil
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Looks like Froome could be there. Contador will surely be at his max.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2016/07/ ... IFTTT&_r=0
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Top riders so far (unconfirmed).

Best GC contenders

Pos. Rider Points
    1 QUINTANA Nairo 1750
    2 FROOME Christopher 1445
    3 CONTADOR Alberto 1080
    4 PINOT Thibaut 962
    5 IZAGIRRE Ion 851
    6 RODRÍGUEZ Joaquim 770
    7 CHAVES Johan Esteban 600
    8 WELLENS Tim 590
    9 LÓPEZ Miguel Ángel 481
    10 KREUZIGER Roman 453
    11 KRUIJSWIJK Steven 436
    12 BARGUIL Warren 421
    13 GILBERT Philippe 411
    14 TALANSKY Andrew 395
    15 LATOUR Pierre 363
    16 SÁNCHEZ Samuel 356
    17 FERNÁNDEZ Rubén 330
    18 FELLINE Fabio 327
    19 ARROYO David 315
    20 GESINK Robert 276
    21 ATAPUMA John Darwin 245
    22 PARDILLA Sergio 226
    23 WESTRA Lieuwe 225
    24 SICARD Romain 225
    25 DOMBROWSKI Joe 209

And Betancur.
  • joelsim
    Landa and Froome possibly joint leaders.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Joelsim wrote:

Bwahahaha!
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Bwahahaha!

My immediate reaction was also 'Is it Comedy Hour already?'
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,911
    Sky should have a strong team to support Froome, as you'd imagine the likes of Intxausti, Deignan, Konig, Nordhaug, Roche, Kwiatkowski and Boswell would be there.
  • joelsim
    Why don't you think this? CF (Fenton for RR) has achieved his first objective, second is Rio and La Vuelta is a bonus. I can easily see them both be given support/free roles.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Because if Froome is riding a GT, he is team leader. There'll be no split priorities and Landa will not be given equal support.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Because if Froome is riding a GT, he is team leader. There'll be no split priorities and Landa will not be given equal support.

What Sausauge says
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,411
    Hmmmmm.....

I can see Landa getting a fair amount of protection if there's even the faintest sniff that Froome isn't focussed or in form and Landa is looking in shape. I know Sky don't usually go heavy on contingency plans, but Tour-Rio-Vuelta is a lot to ask of a rider, especially one that's going to have a lot of media duties (even more if he won in Rio).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • joelsim
    Hmmmmm.....

I can see Landa getting a fair amount of protection if there's even the faintest sniff that Froome isn't focussed or in form and Landa is looking in shape. I know Sky don't usually go heavy on contingency plans, but Tour-Rio-Vuelta is a lot to ask of a rider, especially one that's going to have a lot of media duties (even more if he won in Rio).

^Exactamondo.

Sky's objectives have been achieved. Tour & Monument.

SDB may let his hair down.
  • hehehehehehehehe
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,411
    :-D
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format