Less than perfect new Synapse Ultegra disc - your thoughts please?

13»

Comments

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Nice one Daniel, sounds like you've got a great deal but I won't believe a word of it until you post some photos! I assume that you went ahead and bought more vouchers to pay differenc, so even a better deal!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Nice one Daniel, sounds like you've got a great deal but I won't believe a word of it until you post some photos! I assume that you went ahead and bought more vouchers to pay differenc, so even a better deal!

I did indeed ;-)

Here she is with her older sister:
    28190982390_dbf27fa935_b.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Interestingly a mate is having a similar experience with Evans.

New Cannondale MTB ordered. Received a phone call saying that after inspection there were a few marks/scuffs on the frame, would he be happy to accept with a discount. Mate said no, wanted a perfect new bike. Evans sent him the scuffed frame pretending it was the replacement they agreed.
  • daniel_b
    My new seatpost has arrived :D

Have to figure out how to extract the battery now, but it can wait for the weekend.

I also ordered 3 items from Evans, but only 1 turned up :?
    They are resending one item, and refunding the other to the gift card, as it was the last one (K-Edge Garmin XL mount) they had.
    Once I have that back, I will then ring them to get them to price match the SRAM 140mm discs, which I can then fit to my new second hand wheels, and swap them out with the stock ones - I thought it would be more saleable if they were brand new, and unused complete with tyres and rotors.

Looking unlikely for this weekend now, unless the refund comes through in the next few hours.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Did you consider the next size up at all?
  • daniel_b

I did, but it involves buying new adaptors, and it's a brand new bike, so I suspect IF I get any warranty issues with it at all, they will spot that it is non standard.

Admittedly I will have different wheels on it, but I think I would have an easier time arguing the case that they have no direct impact on the frame.

I have just ordered a pair of 140's from Evans for £21.50 each - should be here by the weekend.

Need to get to my LBS to order a raceware direct Garmin 1000\Di2 juntion box holder next, will try and do that tomorrow, apparently a 10 day lead time as they make them to order.
    Hoping to see yellow, green and fluo yellow.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Daniel B wrote:
    I have just ordered a pair of 140's from Evans for £21.50 each - should be here by the weekend.

I haven't inspected the Synapse too much but when I was looking earlier in the year I'm sure the front rotor was 160mm and rear 140mm?!
  • daniel_b
    Dinyull wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

I haven't inspected the Synapse too much but when I was looking earlier in the year I'm sure the front rotor was 160mm and rear 140mm?!

That made me check, but no it's 140 front and rear - the alloy Synapse I have with Sram Rival hydraulics is indeed 160\140, so not sure why this is different.

Just back from ordering my garmin 1000\Di2 juntion box mount in neon yellow, bonus is that my work pass gave me 10% off, so £31.49.
    Quite handy, as pretty much covered by the refund I got from Evans for the K-Edge mount that has been lost, so works out nicely.
    10 odd day wait for this though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I meant frame size - you have a lot of spacers and a very long seatpost. Was stock availability the reason for the small frame size or just to match the old bike?
  • daniel_b
    I meant frame size - you have a lot of spacers and a very long seatpost. Was stock availability the reason for the small frame size or just to match the old bike?

Oh I see! :oops:

I am 5ft 10, but have a long inseam and a short torso - I used to ride a 56cm bike, with a similarly long top tube, but found at the time, and with a not so good back, that I had to work my way around that with inline seatposts and vastly shortened stems.

Not ideal - so with the Scott I ordered a 54 and a 56, latterly selling the 56, and built the Scott up, and although currently I have the stem inverted (Flipping it the correct way soon) it fits me really really well - 545 top tube, and although I started off with an inline seatpost, I am now on a 20mm setback (My flexibility improved the more I rode), combined with a 90mm stem, it fits me beautifully.

So following on from that I chose the same for my new winter bike, the Synapse SRAM, and that fitted me near perfectly - once again I dropped the stem to a 90, but stuck with the setback seatpost, and it's a joy to ride, so it seemed natural to go the same for the carbon version, and I can easily chop the spacers out if I want to make it a more racey ride.

So although there is a lot of seatpost, it kind of works for me rather nicely, as it's not as much as a sit up and beg bike for me as it would be for someone more evenly proportioned, and I dare say if I slammed the stem, it would be quite a significant drop from saddle to bars.

The 54 has a 542 TT, as opposed to 561 for the 56, not a lot, but it does make a surprising difference to the fit, for my dimensions - those two centimetres would need to be accomodated somewhere, either with a shorter stem, 70 would be a bit grim, or an inline seatpost (Again not ideal) and potentially a shorter stem - so that was what drove my decision.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • comsense
    comsense Posts: 245
    Ordered a bike 2 weeks ago.
    There was no sign of it shipping and I ph'd the call centre. Told all was in order and bike would ship. Another week passed and ph'd Evans Call centre again. Guy on phone sounded VERY doubtful and best I could get was agreement he'd contact me by email later. Decent enough, he phoned me instead. Turns out the bike they'd allocated was a warranty return and unfit for sale!!!. O.K, stuff happens but you'd think they'd contact and repay the money without being chased. Surely this kind of conduct and others mentioned is dodgy at best and downright illegal at worst?