Less than perfect new Synapse Ultegra disc - your thoughts please?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,875
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
EDIT: Now have the bike, will add pics in a new post.

Morning all,

so I should be getting one of these later today:
bycdm6synsu48nsp.jpg

I will fit some wingtop bars at some point, and only partially wrap the bars - the saddle will also be going in favour of an Arione.

These are the likely contenders so far:
16900_supacaz_super_sticky_kush_handle_bar_tape_dual_colour.jpg
146214.jpg
146198.jpg
146218.jpg
146220.jpg

This last one is probably my favourite.

Saddles:
$_3.JPG
limited-edition-fizik-arione-yellow.jpg
Fizik-arione-cx-gummy-black-yellow-7x9-braided.jpg
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nice 8)

Can you post a photo on this thread when its done :wink:
  • daniel_b
    edited July 2016
    But of course - I forget, I think you are a B&Y fan too......?

I meant to add I was also looking for opinions on what would work out of the above.

I'm not a big fan of black handlebar tape, although I appreciate it has it's place, and is eminently practical.

IMHO the last 4 of the bar tapes will go to one degree or another, the first one is too apple green for me.
    Of the three saddles, the first one won't go I now realise, but think either of the latter two will work, and I have them all here, so can show them up when it arrives.
    I only have one of the tapes available though, so will have to go with pictures online to make my decision.

Oh and also tyres, what would people suggest - I'm after a fair turn of speed, but also fairy protection - Duranos?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Leave the Scoop on there if it works and keep the black tape. You will find that whatever you try and match will be wildly or subtly different and it will mess with your OCD.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    My black and yellow bike had the B&Y arione that you have got and black cork bar tape. Black is the only practical colour for bartape.

PErsonally I'd try the saddle it comes with first before spending out.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Black & yellow Fizik saddle & black fizik logo tape ... or white & black fizik saddle and white logo tape ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • daniel_b
    Ah ok, didn't explain properly, I already have those saddles that are currently spare, or can be made spare.

I think the black with yellow stripe will be the best match, and as I will be changing the bars I'll need new tape anyway. The two last sets of tape are predominantly black, but with a nice splash of colour to my eye.

I hear what you are saying BTR, but I'm a died in the wool arione cx/00/K1 fan, so not going to try a new saddle now. Will either sell it, or stick it on the turbo bike.

Appreciate it will ve uber difficult to get an exact match, but it won't bother me if it doesn't all tie in perfectly.

I really wish there was a high quality dark green (brg) tape out there, but it doesn't exist, so I think if I go green it will need to be lime.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bendertherobot
    Daniel B wrote:

Appreciate it will ve uber difficult to get an exact match, but it won't bother me if it doesn't all tie in perfectly.

Yes it will. Now that I've said that it will :D
  • daniel_b
    Daniel B wrote:

Yes it will. Now that I've said that it will :D

:shock:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    So the bike arrived yesterday, but I only managed to unbox it this morning - first thing is that it was yellow - yay!

First surprise is that the handlebars were floating comparitively free - not in the stem clamp, although this had been turned 90 degrees for some reason, and not secured to the top tube like they had been on the alloy synapse I bought.
    Also no protective film on the frame, instead a few bits of bubblewrap around the shifters and various parts of the frame.

Crank arms look clean, so do not think it has been a demo bike, but something is weird.
    It's a bit grubby and the top tube has little surface scratches on it.

Next up we have the shifters - one has a very large scrape on it, and the other has a smaller scrape, and a scratch - both can easily be felt with the fingers.

Now we have the seatpost - those who saw my posts on the alloy synapse may recall the problems I had with that, some frame damage which they compensated me for, but also an alloy instead of carbon seatpost, and critically a 300mm instead of the specified 350mm one, which I need due to my leg length.
    Well not only is the seatpost scratched up to hell, although in this instance I believe it is carbon, but it's yet again only a 300mm one.

So I am not really sure what to do - the complication I may face here is that I bought the bike partly with vouchers bought through a work site, so I'm not sure how a refund can ever work if I wanted to buy it elsewhere - pauls has them in stock for the same headline price at the moment.
    If Evans could source me one from Pauls, I would be happy with that, but I expect they would not be.

I have mailed them to ask them what we can do.

What would you guys consider as an acceptable solution?

My new bike excitement has been destroyed :evil:

Here are the pics:
    https://flic.kr/s/aHskDQ8aZb
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bendertherobot
    No human being with any common sense whatsoever should either sell that as new or send it out as such. I'd keep it, if you got a good deal, but I'd be looking at hundreds of pounds back to a) compensate you for a used bike and b) get you a 350 post.
  • bendertherobot
    And someone has swapped out that post, it comes with a 350mm
  • daniel_b
    Thanks for confirming btr, I know one of the chaps on here (meanredspider?) has had a fair few issues with them, but thought it was worth the risk.

It's technically a good deal, due to the 15% off through my work voucher scheme, but I would happily shelve that for a perfect bike.

My issue here could well be that I am now tied to Evans due to the vouchers.
    Clearly in this instance the bike coming back into stock was not a good thing :-(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bendertherobot
    It's a 58 yes?
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Discount, voucher, whatever. You paid for new goods in perfect condition and didn't get them. Evans are obliged to make you right. At minimum, the damaged components replaced for new, like for like, and money knocked off for the frame damage, but frankly I'd be wanting a full new bike. It wouldn't fill me with confidence that the rest of the work has been carried out with any competence.

I'd have half a mind to copy the distributor or Cannondale in on any communication. This sort of slop doesn't enhance their reputation any.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Don't screw about - that is not the brand spanking new bike that you paid for and which you should now be the proud owner of. Was I you, I wouldn't even think about accepting replacement parts.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    I wouldn't mess about with replacement parts if I'd received it in that condition - it would be going straight back with either a full refund or replacement. Tbh, it's shocking!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If that was sold as 'new' (as opposed to shop-soiled or ex-demo) then for it to be in that condition is completely unacceptable.
  • daniel_b
    It's a 58 yes?

Alas no, it's a 54.

And thankyou for all of the other comments, I have fired off the e-mail, will see what they come back with.

I might send another follow up one to say I am rejecting the bike, and what other alternatives can they offer.

The bike was not sold as ex demo\shop soiled, it was sold as brand new.

If I had just paid cash\card it would be straight a straight forward refund, and I order it from Pauls, but the vouchers give an added complication sadly :-(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The vouchers should not affect your statutory rights. Whether you opt for a direct replacement, or something else of equal (or greater) value, is another matter.
  • bendertherobot
    What was the overall price? They cannot sell it as new so will have to get rid of it somehow. As long as it's sound I'd see what the best price off I could get, i.e. the cost of replacement shifters, seatpost etc (£500).
  • daniel_b
    Imposter wrote:
    The vouchers should not affect your statutory rights. Whether you opt for a direct replacement, or something else of equal (or greater) value, is another matter.

No agreed, it will not, but my issue is that IF they agree to re-credit the voucher, and I can't get a refund from the 3rd party website, I am stuck with a £2124 voucher for Evans, and due to multiple bike purchases recently, I can't see me wanting another bike anytime soon, and I think they are only valid for 24 months.

I really wanted a Synapse, and this is the only colour I wanted - for example there is a di2 model further up the range, but it comes in an apple green colour that I really don't like, and when spending this kind of cash, I personally have to be 100% happy with it.

I have mailed them again to ask if they could either refund to my card\bank account, so I can purchase elsewhere, or if they could just source me a bike from Pauls - not sure how much joy I will get with that.
    I have mentioned that I am a loyal customer, and have bought 3 bikes from them in the last year, and hope they can go out of their way to make this right.
    What was the overall price? They cannot sell it as new so will have to get rid of it somehow. As long as it's sound I'd see what the best price off I could get, i.e. the cost of replacement shifters, seatpost etc (£500).

The overall price to me was a shade over £1800, the price 'paid' was £2124.99, which is currently matched by Pauls.
    If that is not clear, I bought a £2124 voucher through my works reward website, and paid 85% of the cost.

Seatpost is £70, shifters would be around, £300 maybe?
    But then there is the hassle\expense of getting it fitted (I wouldn't trust myself yet to dabble with hydraulics) to consider as well.
    And the scratches on the top tube are always going to be there.

I'll update next week with how it progresses.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bendertherobot
    I wouldn't change the items (seatpost aside). I'd keep the difference but to be honest it's not THAT great a deal in the first place. I'd just get it all refunded etc.
  • daniel_b
    I wouldn't change the items (seatpost aside). I'd keep the difference but to be honest it's not THAT great a deal in the first place. I'd just get it all refunded etc.

Yeh fair do's, trouble is the scratches on the shifters I can feel with my hands, and I would be reminded everytime I braked or changed gear.

I have spoken to the reward site, and they said usually once a voucher is used, it is used, but in this instance, and others where the retailer has not managed to deliver, there are instances where the voucher can be recredited by the retailer, and then the website can then in turn refund me the original amount.

No agreed on the fact is is not an amazing deal, though the extra 15% saving certainly made it feel like a good one, they are a very well reviewed bike, and due to the scarcity of the yellow ones in most sizes, are clearly very very popular.
    Would I pay £2124 for one from pauls now given the chance, yes I suppose I probably would do.
    It's a shame I can't see anything online yet to show what the 2017 model colours are set to be, as it could be there is something even nicer around the corner.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    That is awful, I have never even sold any of my used bikes with marks like that. It's not new.

I'd only accept a new (perfect, as that's what new should be) replacement or one of greater value. If it takes them to give you something of greater value then fine, they should view it as compensation for taking the p1ss by sending you that.

I wouldn't get hung up on getting a yellow one either, it doesn't look good.
  • MisterMuncher
    Daniel B wrote:
    It's a shame I can't see anything online yet to show what the 2017 model colours are set to be, as it could be there is something even nicer around the corner.

http://www.bikestoreverona.com/image/da ... ATALOG.pdf
  • MisterMuncher
    Looking at that again, there's no Synapse in there at all. There's no Slice either, and it's being reworked/replaced entirely, so make of that what you will.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I am sorry Daniel, that is not good at all. The price you paid is £2124, they don't know how much discount you get through your work, if any, so I wouldn't that cloud my judgement about what it is right. Thinking in a logical way if I was in your position I would ask them to do one of these things:

-replace the shifters and seatpost for brand new ones of the correct specification.
    -Extra 10% to 15% money off because of the scratches around the seat post and top tube.

-Upgrade for free to the higher end bike (if you like the colour).

I am also a bit worried about mine, it is coming from another store, and to be honest the chap that ordered it said that sometimes they are not in perfect condition, so he said to me to have a good look at it for any defects and point them out. I reckon your bike is new but has been on the shop floor in some store or another.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If it was me I'd be asking for a new seapost and cash refund for the scratches. It's the levers that really Annoy. I can't really see the frame scratch.

Your bike will pick up scratches with use anyway and you'd not stop riding it when it happens. So get the cash and spend it on extra kit or something.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Do Daniel, what's happened, any progress?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • daniel_b
    Thanks for all of the replies guys, had a busy weekend with a family farewell party thing, so wasn't able to get on here, and of course Evans weren't online anyway.
    That would be a surprice if they have killed the synapse, as it's won the endurance bike of the year award in one of the mags I think, and they are raving about it, but possible I guess.
    I did send them another e-mail to say I wanted to reject it, and if they could arrange collection, and what they were able to offer me in recompense - they will have a weekend of e-mails to go through of course - I have also messaged them on FB to check I have sent to the right place.
    @Cougie - if you clock on the second picture in the Flickr album, and then on the + to zoom, the scratches will be apparent.
    I hear what you are saying, but I tend to really look after my kit, and unless a bike gets dropped, or has something dropped on it, they are all pretty mint.
    Agreed though, that is something i could potentially live with, but the shifters are too much of a issue, as in the scratches can be felt and not just seen - I also wonder with the lacquer damaged, whether with water ingres it might get worse and worse.
    @Gabriel - I did indeed think of you and your upcoming bike you are going to see today I think it is, I hope it is in good nick, and free from imprefections, I'll wait to hear.
    It's a shame they seem to take not very much care of their bikes, I can't see how all of that shifter damage could have been done on the shop floor, and it wasn't done in the bike box, as although the bars were loose, the shifters were encased in bubblewrap - bizarre.

I have thought about whether I would consider an upgrade to the Di2 bike (Should they offer it), but it's a weird apple green colour, and call me shallow, but I have to like the colour of the bike a lot, especially when we are talking about what I would consider large sums of cash.
    cannondale-synapse-carbon-ultegra-di2-3-disc-2016-road-bike-green-EV239404-6000-1.jpg
    It would be different if it was a town bike for £200 for example, then it isn't really an issue, but in this instance, where it will likely be the most expensive bike I buy, short of assembling my Scott, it needs to be just right.
    Or I just abort it all, see if I can get the bike taken back, vouchers re-credited, and then the vouchers refunded through my work place.
    By then Pauls might well be out of stock anyway.

EDIT: Pauls have just come back to say they have a few in stock, so no huge rush - they also confirmed they are all box fresh.
    Evans have just replied to my facebook post to ask me to forward it to another address which I have just done - if I have nothing back by midday tomorrow I will give them a call and some hassle.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18