Less than perfect new Synapse Ultegra disc - your thoughts please?

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Christ that looks like a crashed second hand bike, refund in full at the very least
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    itboffin wrote:
    Christ that looks like a crashed second hand bike, refund in full at the very least

Well I am pleased that the reaction has universally been the same as my own, in the back of my mind I was wondering if I was over reacting......

They have yet to get back to me, will be ringing them tomorrow, as it annoys me everytime I see it in the garage where it is currently sat - just want to box it up and have it gone asap.

Question for you - how good is Ultegra Di2?

I'm just wondering IF they come back and offer me the Di2 version for the same price, whether I should take it.
    My quandry will be, that if they do, and I do not take it, I will have to fork out another £300 for the yellow bike from Pauls, where as if they go that route I will be getting a £3250 bike for £1800, which would clearly be a deal, it's just the colour of it:
    cannondale-synapse-carbon-ultegra-di2-3-disc-2016-road-bike-green-EV239404-6000-1.jpg
    Reminds me of:
    Mushy-Peas-nottingham-food-blog-noshingham.jpg

Why you would choose that colour I have less than no idea, even something neutral like Silver or white I would prefer :-(
    So it's whether the extra spec of Di2 would make me back down on the colour - I hope they do not offer it I have to be honest.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I do like that upgraded Synapse, I would go for that if I was offered it.

To me it reminds me of... bettiniphoto_0216788_1_full-400x400.jpg

But of course, if you don't like the colour you don't like the colour.

I do like the aeroad and I think it is a great deal but if it does not fit you it does not fit you, no point in trying to make it fit if it does not suit your body proportions.

How about speaking to Evans to see if you can have next years Synapse Ultegra (if you like the colour)?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • daniel_b
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I do like that upgraded Synapse, I would go for that if I was offered it.

To me it reminds me of... bettiniphoto_0216788_1_full-400x400.jpg

But of course, if you don't like the colour you don't like the colour.

I do like the aeroad and I think it is a great deal but if it does not fit you it does not fit you, no point in trying to make it fit if it does not suit your body proportions.

How about speaking to Evans to see if you can have next years Synapse Ultegra (if you like the colour)?

Fair do's, and yes that Green is not that bad I suppose, it has grown on me a bit.
    I would happily wait for next years bike, but there seems to be zero evidence of if there will be any, and what colours they might be.
    The previous years model was black with a bit of yellow, and clearly this year was inverted, so not sure if they will stick with that colour scheme if it does come back - the pdf linked to above certainluy makes no mention of a 2017 Synapse, but it does seem unlikely they would shelve all of that development work now in the midst of rave reviews, and one assumes colossal sales.

Agreed on the Aeroad - after speaking to mallorcajeff on here, I have written that one off completely.

Still nothing from Evans........... giving them until midday and then will start getting a bit @rsey.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • gabriel959
    I would give them a ring, I think these things are better dealt with a chat. Write everything down that you want to say before you call though!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    I agree with Gabriel. From my experience Evans are slow replying to emails but are very helpful on the phone or in store. I'd get on the blower to see what they say about it. I wouldn't hold you're breath for an upgrade to Di2 though, I'd be surprised if they did that.
  • daniel_b
    Cheers chaps - I have heard back from them now to say it is with a manager, who will be looking into it, and I will be getting a reply later today.

I hope the 'investigation' includes speaking to the store to find out how on earth it got into the condition it currently is, I just have to hope they don't deny everything and say it was sent out perfect, then things might get complicated.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Some 2017 Synapse photo's here, the post with 47 pics...

https://www.facebook.com/BlogCannondale/
  • daniel_b
    6wheels wrote:
    Some 2017 Synapse photo's here, the post with 47 pics...

https://www.facebook.com/BlogCannondale/

Interesting, wonder if this is the replacement, though it seems to have tubs, and I can't tell what the groupset is.
    13668812_1028514370568195_2290008810520865713_o.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    That's almost certainly the hi mod
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Evans offer a no strings 30 day https://www.evanscycles.com/help/right-bike-guarantee

Cannot see any vouchers would affect that? Inf act they also offer a 90 day refund on un-used items as well.

Finance or Ride-to-Work scheme transactions will be exchanged on a like-for-like basis. Should you wish to exchange for a more expensive bike, the difference can be paid in cash or card at the point of exchange. The terms of these transactions means we cannot offer any form of refund if the exchange bike is cheaper.
  • daniel_b
    So we finally have some communication from Evans.

They have apologised for the condition it was in, but claimed it must have happened in transit, which is clearly impossible, as the box is in pretty much mint condition, and the shifters that you saw are scraped up to hell, were completely encased in bubblewrap.

I have replied to explain this, and attached photos, and a link to the folder.

They have only offered a refund, and will collect the bike - and have suggested they might be able to come to some kind of compromise on another bike, so I have enquired about the Di2, but I have a feeling they will come back with £2400 or so.
    IF they do, that would then leave me with another condundrum.
    If I take the refund, I get £1800 back, and will then need to find another £320 to get the model from Pauls cycles.
    If I take the potential offer of the Di2 model for £2400, I would need to find £250 in more vouchers to make up the amount.

So what would you do if you were given that scenario?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • gabriel959
    I would get the Di2 model, but that would be me. Cheaper and better. And I like the colour, but Daniel, do YOU like the colour? :)

For info, I test rode my bike today, still keeping it under wraps, it had some tiny marks in the cranks and they decided to chuck in some bottle cages for free. So it is a keeper.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • daniel_b
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I would get the Di2 model, but that would be me. Cheaper and better. And I like the colour, but Daniel, do YOU like the colour? :)

For info, I test rode my bike today, still keeping it under wraps, it had some tiny marks in the cranks and they decided to chuck in some bottle cages for free. So it is a keeper.

Cheers Gabriel, will see what they come back with tomorrow.
    I don't like it as such, but it has grown on me!

Meant to ask about your bike, delighted to hear it's in good condition, and look forward to hearing about it :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • vinnymarsden
    vinnymarsden Posts: 560
    Daniel,

I can't understand how the shop,was it Evans did you say? I can't figure out, how on earth they even considered letting you have that in that condition, personally, if I was offered a refund that put me back where I started, i.e., not out of pocket in any way, then I would take it, flame the shop to their head office, take any compensation offered for the mess about, then buy something totally different. In my humble TOTALLY personal opinion I think Cannondales are over rated…but thats just me…but whatever your decision I would simply NEVER deal with them again, unless they do come through with a significant upgrade deal and you are 10000% happy with it all.
    It's simply not good enough to supply anything in that sort of knocked about state.Its akin to buying pair of brand new shoes that have been worn, but only a bit!!
  • saftlad
    saftlad Posts: 49
    Daniel B wrote:
    So we finally have some communication from Evans.

They have apologised for the condition it was in, but claimed it must have happened in transit, which is clearly impossible, as the box is in pretty much mint condition, and the shifters that you saw are scraped up to hell, were completely encased in bubblewrap.

I have replied to explain this, and attached photos, and a link to the folder.

They have only offered a refund, and will collect the bike - and have suggested they might be able to come to some kind of compromise on another bike, so I have enquired about the Di2, but I have a feeling they will come back with £2400 or so.
    IF they do, that would then leave me with another condundrum.
    If I take the refund, I get £1800 back, and will then need to find another £320 to get the model from Pauls cycles.
    If I take the potential offer of the Di2 model for £2400, I would need to find £250 in more vouchers to make up the amount.

So what would you do if you were given that scenario?

I'm slightly confused at the cost. Did you not pay £2124 for the bike from Evans, including vouchers?
    I guess what you do next depends on how Evans handles the refund, which would be whatever you paid to them irrespective of the vouchers/cash/credit card. Only then would I know whether to go to another shop (if it was a full refund in cash/bank acct). Might you end up with the value of the vouchers you had bought being returned as new vouchers, plus however you made up the balance? Or would Evans refund the whole sum in Evans vouchers?
  • daniel_b
    @Vinny - yes it was Evans, and yes I agree, it is bizarre, especially now they are trying to blame it on 'damage in transit' when it simply can't have been so.

I am obviously severely dissapointed.

I have to be honest, I too thought Cannondales were overrated, and perhaps they are, but the Synapse Alu I have was a total revelation to me in terms of the ride and comfort it gives, especially when combined with carbon bars and stem, it's insanely comfy for me, and I think the right geometry for my proportions - ie I realise it is a 'sportive' bike, but as I have a long inseam, and short torso, it ends up still being a saddle above the bar height set up, which still makes it fast for me.
    After loving the Alloy version with guards so very much as my new winter bike, I thought a fast carbon cousin for long comfy rides in the summer, and maybe even some off road jaunts with some 30mm tyres on could be possible.
    I'm sure there are other good options out there, but neither Giant or Trek have ever really made me want to buy them - perhaps if I bought one that would change, but that's a 2k gamble and I know a 54 Synapse fits me perfectly - although I am aware the dimensions of the carbon versus alloy are fractionally different, there is very little in it.

@saftlad:
    The bike sold for £2124, but through my place of work I can buy vouchers at a discounted price, so I bought £2124 of vouchers for a shade over £1800.
    So if the refund happens, they will only refund to the original payment type, which was of course the voucher.
    That voucher will once again be worth £2124 but only with Evans, so if I am able to get a refund from the website, still trying to get an answer from them, I will only get £1800 back, but otherwise I am stuck with a £2124 voucher that I have to spend with Evans within 2 years - or I could sell it I guess.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Ok, one more reply this evening, thanking me for the pictures, but no real apology or admitting that the bike had been sent in that condition.

They will arrange for collection next week, and are going to speak to Cannondale to see if they have any more stock available.
    I did ask in my last e-mail what price they would be able to do on the Di2 variant, but that was studiously ignored.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Things are moving along at quite a pace now, as I am now in conversation with the customer centre manager, very professional on the phone, and hoping to have something more concrete by the end of the week.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • gabriel959
    Sounds good Daniel.

On other news I am going to be picking my bike up tomorrow hopefully.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • daniel_b
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Sounds good Daniel.

On other news I am going to be picking my bike up tomorrow hopefully.

Great news Gabriel - look forward to hearing all about it!

In other news, I just had a second call from Evans - they have checked the bike that has come back to the warehouse, and it has already been built, but he claims it is mint, with no imperfections or marks anywhere, so it looks like we are good to go - SO veyr very pleased!
    Although perhaps I should temper that until I receive it.

Unfortunately I am not able to accept delivery now until Wednesday, so they will try and deliver and collect on the same van which would be nice.

I will update next week, and hopefully cautiously with some pics of it with it's alloy cousin.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • gabriel959
    Fantastic - that is great news, I would still ask them to give you some freebies for the hassle.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Good luck!

Did they explain how a bang to the box in transit removed the seatpost, swapped the saddle onto another post and refitted it, I know things being jiggled around can do strange things but would love to hear an answer to that one!

Sounds like a customer return they shipped straight back out without checking, it can happen even though it shouldn't.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • daniel_b
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Fantastic - that is great news, I would still ask them to give you some freebies for the hassle.

Great minds!

They have kindly agreed to a free pair of pedals as a good will gesture - so hopefully come Wednesday it will all work out very nicely.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Sorry I didn't quite follow, so have you got the same model or the di2 variant coming ?
    Its a returned order they're assuring you is perfect ?
    Just got the wife a Synapse alu Tiagra in a 48 men's which is only a tad to smal for me !, lovely bike for the money it cost.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • daniel_b
    Galatzo wrote:
    Sorry I didn't quite follow, so have you got the same model or the di2 variant coming ?
    Its a returned order they're assuring you is perfect ?
    Just got the wife a Synapse alu Tiagra in a 48 men's which is only a tad to smal for me !, lovely bike for the money it cost.

It's exactly the same model in my preferred colour and correct size.

The customer care manager went down there, and checked it out, and assures me it is all perfect, so I am taking his word on it, but of course will let him know if there any issues come Wednesday, though he seemed a straight up decent person, and has seen the photos of the damage on the one I have now, and the pedals just sweetens the deal a bit.

The base model Synapse's, especially from Pauls, are insane value eh, I love my Sram one with the guards, great bike.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • urso
    urso Posts: 14
    Any updates on your bike?
  • daniel_b
    Still a work in progress, hoping to have some definitive news on Friday!

@Gabriel - what happened with yours?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • gabriel959
    Daniel B wrote:
    Still a work in progress, hoping to have some definitive news on Friday!

@Gabriel - what happened with yours?

:) Have a look at the look at what I have bought thread in Commuting! :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • daniel_b
    So.

Today I had a bike delivered - it is the Di2 Synapse in a rather fetching shade (I now think, having seen it in person) of Green - more limey than it appears in pictures, and less mushy peas which was my first impression.

Initially Evans said they had found another bike, but this must have been either a store or customer return.
    They checked it out, ssaid it appeared fine and that it would be sent out, I was happy with that.

But on the day it was going to be sent, the guys checking it said they could see some wear on the crankset and chain, and the chap I was dealing with decided to hold the bike back.
    He offered to fit a brand new chainset and chain, but after thinking about it I went back to him to say I wouldn't be truly happy with it, thinking it had to start of it's life having parts changed, and it also concerned me as I didn't know why it had been returned, was there some fault.

I said there were three options i was willing to consider, which was:
    Di2 model
    Source it from Pauls
    Wait for the 2017 model

The last one was ruled out, as he said he did not know what price it was going to come in at, or when it would be available, he didn't mention the Pauls option, so I guess that left us with the Di2.
    We ended up agreeing on a figure to fund the upgrade, and lets say I am a very happy boy with my shiny toy with electric gears - I mean what on earth!
    Hadn't planned to get a bike with that anytime soon.
    The only issue, which has bizarrely been the same for all 3 synapses, is that they have fitted a 300mm seatpost, instead of a 350mm one as specified everywhere you look on the internet.
    I have now ordered a 350mm Di2 seatpost from Cannondale Spares (Same place I used last time) but won't be able to ride the bike until it arrives :-(

I have a raft of Di2 questions now, but will raise a new thread for that!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18