When will Cav abandon? (possible spoiler?)

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Well, interviews from after yesterday's stage suggest he's "looking to win more"

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... win-record

Of course, that doesn't actually say which year...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Well earlier this year Brian Smith (I know he's not at DD any more) was saying it was possible Cav could go to Paris - clearly Dimension Data want him to.

British Cycling - or at least Shane Sutton - were saying there is no way he will go all the way to Paris and you imagine part of the deal with him getting selected was that he would quit the Tour early. However Cav is away from BC and in the team environment and winning stages. Sutton is no longer at BC and Rod Ellingworth another former BC man is of the opinion that going to Paris will not be detrimental to Cav's chances in Rio.

I reckon so long as he feels OK he will go to Paris - you tend to listen to the advice which is telling you what you want to hear and there are enough people with experience who will be telling him he can do both.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    I think that no matter what time he leaves the Tour, he won't win an Olympic medal.

I hope and pray that he will, but I just can;t see it, too much competition.

Do all TP squad riders get a medal or just the 4 who ride the medal race? He might sneak one this way.

I think, but don't know, that you need to have ridden in one of the rounds.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    I think that no matter what time he leaves the Tour, he won't win an Olympic medal.

Do all TP squad riders get a medal or just the 4 who ride the medal race? He might sneak one this way.

I think, but don't know, that you need to have ridden in one of the rounds.

Also, theres no pride in owning a medal you didnt actually ride for.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    What does the transition period involve? Obviously recovery, but is much more than that required?
    Omnium is three weeks after Paris, which seems a reasonable period of time...
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    It'll depend on the green jersey situation. If he's in with a shout, which I think he will, he will go on to Paris
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    shazzz wrote:
    What does the transition period involve? Obviously recovery, but is much more than that required?
    Omnium is three weeks after Paris, which seems a reasonable period of time...

Need it be pointed out of course that Wiggins won the Olympic TT three weeks after TdF victory. No idea if that translates as well to the track of course. Plus there's no real *need* for Cav to climb the mountains as he isn't looking for overall victory.
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    I'm intrigued to see how Cav goes in Rio. I think BC have taken a massive risk effectively having no reserve for the TP - as others say there will surely have been commitments regarding how long he stays in the tour.

Lots of riders do Tour & Olympics, but a full Tour surely compromises your track prep in some way. If not, you'd see loads of trackies trying to do the Tour.

My favourite Cav win is Bordeaux in 2010 after Renshaw had been DQd - he answered some questions that day and the way he went past Petacchi was so impressive.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Like cav has said in his interviews on cycling podcast/tv interviews, that his job is to ride for his trade team, riding for Olympics is just bonus so I think he will stay for as long as he can. I think if he hadn't won any stages or maybe just one he would of dropped out, but now he's won stages he might stay till Paris. But longer he's in the tour the more chance he has of crashing.
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    He won't leave the race whilst in the Green jersey. No way. If he plans to leave soon, he will wait till it is taken off of him, and if it doesn't happen before Paris then he will be in the race in Paris.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Lots of riders do Tour & Olympics, but a full Tour surely compromises your track prep in some way. If not, you'd see loads of trackies trying to do the Tour.

How many would be at the Tour were it not for the Olympics, are there any who are at the Tour who plan to drop out ?

I had a quick look at the Omnium rankings and there are a few who ride for teams who are at the Tour but I don't know how many are actually at the Tour or if those that aren't haven't been chosen because of the Olympics.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    DS very certain he's riding for Green, ergo will want to finish in Paris.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

How many would be at the Tour were it not for the Olympics, are there any who are at the Tour who plan to drop out ?

I had a quick look at the Omnium rankings and there are a few who ride for teams who are at the Tour but I don't know how many are actually at the Tour or if those that aren't haven't been chosen because of the Olympics.
    Looking at the rankings, none of the others are at the Tour. Viviani and Kluge did the Giro.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I think he'll now have an eye on Merckx's number of stage wins. There are still 5 potential sprint finishes, including Paris, and 4 if he pulls out on the second rest day. If he wins a couple of those he could, in theory, pass Merckx next year....Of course, if he stays on until Paris and wins all 5 this year he would equal Merckx by the end of this July! :)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    What would Cav value more, the green shirt or an Olympic medal?

Sagan's going to Rio isn't he... if he drops out soon then Cav I hope will stay. Think of the glory.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I don't think he'd take a green jersey over an Olympic medal, but a green jersey and a win in Paris may be different. There's little chance anyone of note will pull out of the tour to prepare for the Olympic road race, but the track is a totally different matter. I wouldn't be surprised to find he goes to the end and doesn't ride there Olympics, if Dibben is now recovered enough to ride the omnium.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Bo Duke wrote:
    What would Cav value more, the green shirt or an Olympic medal?

Sagan's going to Rio isn't he... if he drops out soon then Cav I hope will stay. Think of the glory.

Which one does Cav already have?

For which one does he realistically only have this one last attempt left?

Which one can he go again for next year and the year after?

Which one does it really needle him as missing from his palmares?

And which one has he spent all winter, and most of Spring working for?

(as for Sagz pulling out early for Rio....nah, that ain't gonna happen. Green will be on his back in Paris, barring him falling sick or crashing out)
  • gsk82 wrote:
    I don't think he'd take a green jersey over an Olympic medal, but a green jersey and a win in Paris may be different. There's little chance anyone of note will pull out of the tour to prepare for the Olympic road race, but the track is a totally different matter. I wouldn't be surprised to find he goes to the end and doesn't ride there Olympics, if Dibben is now recovered enough to ride the omnium.

I would. BC have taken a (calculated) risk with their TP squad by selecting him (even if they end up not using him, Oz etc will likely be swapping in their 5th man in a round to give one of their final 4 a breather). Cav knows this all too well and that other bloody good TPers have been left out of the squad. Cav is not going to walk out on that, saying oh sorry BC, Andy Tennant, Chris Latham, Jon Dibben, I've changed my mind, I'm not arsed about Rio after all.

For the record, Dibben is out and about riding his bike on New Forest roads whilst the Rio endurance squad are on a training camp up in Livigno.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    RichN95 wrote:

Looking at the rankings, none of the others are at the Tour. Viviani and Kluge did the Giro.

Is Archibald not riding the omnium these days?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    What RR says.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976

You have to ride the TP, but not in the medal race.

This caused big upset for Wendy Houvenaghel in 2012 as Team GB chose to ride the unbeatable Trott, Rowsell and King in every round. They smashed their own world record in every round including the final so the decision was validated but it did feel a little harsh on Wendy would would have made the 3 in every other nation on the planet.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Is Archibald not riding the omnium these days?
    It seems not. It surprised me too.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    gsk82 wrote:

I would. BC have taken a (calculated) risk with their TP squad by selecting him (even if they end up not using him, Oz etc will likely be swapping in their 5th man in a round to give one of their final 4 a breather). Cav knows this all too well and that other bloody good TPers have been left out of the squad. Cav is not going to walk out on that, saying oh sorry BC, Andy Tennant, Chris Latham, Jon Dibben, I've changed my mind, I'm not arsed about Rio after all.

For the record, Dibben is out and about riding his bike on New Forest roads whilst the Rio endurance squad are on a training camp up in Livigno.
    It's bloody nonsense that the Omnium rider has to come from another event to start with - makes no sense whatsoever. Keirin is the same and it resulted in 2012 with French track sprinter Mickael Bourgain rocking up to the road race for 5 minutes before dropping out. Shambles.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    might not leave the race by choice , but might not make the time cut . looks to be struggling today .
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    tim000 wrote:
    might not leave the race by choice , but might not make the time cut . looks to be struggling today .
    He's got Eisel with him.. if anyone can guide Cav within the time limit, it's Bernie.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    JSCL wrote:
    tim000 wrote:
    He's got Eisel with him.. if anyone can guide Cav within the time limit, it's Bernie.

It will also help Bernie's Lanterne bid.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Pross
    JSCL wrote:
    tim000 wrote:

It will also help Bernie's Lanterne bid.

Maybe it's his way of repaying Bernie for all the work over the years? Hopefully he'll ride off in the last km to give Bernie a clear stage victory.
  • Pross
    Looks like he may have just survived there!
  • Pross
    Chances for Cav in the next 2 stages? Tuesday could be tough if they race the first climb from the start but other than that it's a 3rd cat that might be too close to the finish for him. Wednesday looks like a definite chance.
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    Chances for Cav in the next 2 stages? Tuesday could be tough if they race the first climb from the start but other than that it's a 3rd cat that might be too close to the finish for him. Wednesday looks like a definite chance.
    I reckon he may not bother on Tuesday- let EBH have a crack - and save himself for Wednesday.